No announcement yet.

I am angry on Chloe's behalf because...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wolverine316
    I was wondering when a thread was going to be created blaming Clark for Chloe's patheticness and misery. I think Clark is to blame for the current state of the economy and unemployment. That bastard.
    How is any of what she's done pathetic? Morally questionable, yes. Pathetic, I hardly think so.

Clark has absolutely no effect on the economy or unemployment.

Comment

You know, I would actually really love to see Chloe break down. A scene where Clark confronts her about all her kinda-iffy behavior, and says something insightful (it could happen!) about Jimmy that pokes her in just the right place, and she screams at him for refusing to save him and collapses into sobs and apologies before starting the dealing process and eventually becoming more dimensional again. Because she does feel very shut off, and I would definitely buy the "can't deal with Jimmy's passing" angle as a reason for, well, season 9 Chloe.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide
        How is any of what she's done pathetic? Morally questionable, yes. Pathetic, I hardly think so.

Clark has absolutely no effect on the economy or unemployment.
        Well... the towers were a solid investment for the city economy and many people lost their jobs when mister Kent decided to burn down the solar power. So there we go.

Comment

I don't know, my opinion of Chloe is kind of like a rollercoaster, its had a lot of ups and downs, double-loop turns, etc. I've never been enamored with her character (ever) but have never disliked or hated her.

This past season, I have gotten upset with her on several occasions (her repeated blaming of Clark for Jimmy's death, jeopardizing both Oliver & Lois' safety in Roulette to name a few) but I am really starting to feel sorry for this character. She is in a dark place, really doesn't trust anyone and appears to be just holding onto the edge of reality. I'm chalking it up to post traumatic stress disorder. She has been through a lot over these 8+ years and it is a sad deterioration and I'm beginning to think we are watching a Greek tragedy unrolling here and she may not get out of this alive. Despite the future being altered some people believe in predestination that our paths are already mapped out in the book of life and we ultimately wind up at that same final destination even when we take a different road. So right now, I feel more sad for this character than anything else.

While we all know Lois will be the key, Chloe will also have an important role (secondary but still quite important) on how this story eventually wind up this season.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverine316
            I was wondering when a thread was going to be created blaming Clark for Chloe's patheticness and misery. I think Clark is to blame for the current state of the economy and unemployment. That bastard.
            ITA with you! He shouldn't have burned those towers! It's all his fault.

Comment

Chloe hasn't grieved..but she mentioned how much Jimmy's death affected her...just because she hasn't outright expressed anything doesn't mean her actions aren't a result. I do think it's a bit ooc even with that...but this show has been doing that since s6.
              Plus keeping secrets shouldn't make Chloe wrong...hasn't everyone done so?
              I guess when Clark does it it doesn't count then.

Comment

Originally posted by cara410
                ITA with you! He shouldn't have burned those towers! It's all his fault.
                No, it created jobs for the clean up effort and rebuilding of the area.

Comment

I used to love Chloe (and I actually think Chlollie is a good idea) but during season 9 we´ve seen a whole new side of Chloe that I can´t understand.
                  Thing I´ve seen that I can´t easily forget
                  - Blaming Clark for doomsday and Jimmy´s death (what about a little introspection honey? Leaving Jimmy and hiding the whole Davis´ thing from Clark, not such a good idea)
                  - Invasion of privacy in whole new level: phones, mails, bank accounts, the farm (that´s not protecting people, that´s not having a life)
                  - Thinking Lois is bad for Clark (have you seen the guy´s face when he is around her?)
                  - Stealing from one of his best friends (that makes you a criminal)
                  - Sleeping with Ollie when two weeks ago he showed strong feelings for Lois

Currently, she is acting like a lousy friend, cousin and partner. Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you Lana Lang!
                  As usually Sorry for the mistakes...
                  Last edited by Caro; 02-27-2010, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wingster55
                    Chloe hasn't grieved..but she mentioned how much Jimmy's death affected her...just because she hasn't outright expressed anything doesn't mean her actions aren't a result. I do think it's a bit ooc even with that...but this show has been doing that since s6.
                    Plus keeping secrets shouldn't make Chloe wrong...hasn't everyone done so?
                    I guess when Clark does it it doesn't count then.
                    It's true Chloe has always shoved away her pain, her way in dealing with it is too keep busy and pretend she's all right.

Comment

Originally posted by -Nora-
                      See I could buy into the entire Jimmy's-death-made-Chloe-lose-it thing, but two things are missing:

1. Chloe actually grieving Jimmy. It's already like he never existed.

and

2. Chloe actually acknowledging that she's doing the wrong thing. Or showing some remorse.

We get none of that. All I'm seeing is Chloe thinking she's right about everything and everybody else is always wrong. That's my problem.
                      I agree, Nora - totally! I might add that Chloe actually admitting she had a huge part in Jimmy dying wouldn't hurt either. Last night, all I heard from Chloe was that Clark was to blame for Doomsday when she was the one harboring him, cleaning up after him, lying to Clark about him, and interfering in Clark sending Davis to the PZ. Yep, it's all Clark's fault.

(I did read your post Becky - I just don't subscribe to the inference that to grieve properly, Chloe needs Clark's shoulder to cry on.)

Actually, I'm glad that Oliver took away her kryptonite weapons and will oversee their security.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicus
                        No, it created jobs for the clean up effort and rebuilding of the area.
                        oh ok then.

Comment

I agree. It's what I've been thinking about. I loved Jimmy so much, and Chloe loved him more. She married the guy. It would be unrealistic if she just suddenly got over him so fast. I see this season with Chloe is how she's dealing with it. She had no one to comfort her in her time of need at all. I sat there wanting to cry for her, because she just put up with it. She didn't really give herself time to grieve.

But I have a problem with her spying on people. It's little scary. I see where she's coming from, but what she needs is someone to pull her away from it. The reason why I think like that, is probably because I read 1984 and it scared me like crazy. I don't like seeing Chloe act like Big Brother. It's disturbing. So Oliver, of someone, needs to help her get out of that. Just like she helped Oliver out of his rough patch, he should help her. Bring her back, and help her become the Chloe we used to know. The girl that is still in there, scared out of her mind, and missing her HUSBAND!

Chloe's storyline has been more scary to me than even the Kandorians. I still love her. I don't really blame her for trying to help Davis. I blame him for getting too close, and pulling her away from Jimmy, by making him look crazy! I don't see any of that as Chloe's fault.

Love Chloe, and I hope they brighten up her story a bit before the end of the season, because I don't think she'll be back next year.

Comment

This episode has opened my eyes a bit.

I've been so wrapped up in how much I love the idea of Chlollie that I have been ignoring my own feelings about Chloe's character in general. But this episode really brought it home for me just how much Chloe's mental state is deteriorating.

And why?

Mainly because of Clark.

Chloe, for day one, was set up as the girl with the unrequited love. It's always been about Chloe's pain and yearning.

Then when she learned his secret, it became about her loyalty. Her trustworthyness. She was always there for Clark, always the one he could call on.

And when she got a Superpower, she really felt that she could always save him. It was insanely dangerous (probably causing some damage to the brain every time), but she knew that no matter what happened shed never be powerless to stop it.

After a while, Clark began taking Chloe for granted. His own personal Google. We all got annoyed. But then we got this shining ray of hope in the idea of 'Watchtower'. Chloe not just being Clark's lapdog, but actually being the eyes and ears of Superheros in general. Using everything she has learned to help people who might actually appreciate it.

But it stalled. The writers didn't focus on the JL. They focused on Veritas instead. And Chloe's character became almost pointless. The only thing I remember her doing in season 7 was getting attacked by Brainiac.

And look at what that did to her. She got a Brainiac brain upgrade. Was granted an intelligence not meant for humans. That's got to have warped her way of thinking a bit. Of course, removing it and erasing her memory also altered things.

Then comes Davis, a lovely guy that she is very confused about, who she tries desperately to save. She cleaned up blood and body parts for him because she thought that his life was worth saving, and because she wanted to protect Clark from having to deal with it in a way that would jepordise his moral code. Everyone turned against her because she did this.

And after all that, can no one else understand why loosing Jimmy would have pushed her over the edge?

The one person who DID appreciate her. The one person who loved her, so simply, just because she was Chloe. No matter what she did, no matter whether she felt the same or not, he loved her. And as annoying as I found their relationship at the time, when I look back at the scene where he gives her watchtower, I really start to understand how broken she must have been by his death.

And who was there to comfort her? No one.

Not Lois, obviously because she was in the future. Not Olly, or any of the JL because they disbanded after Jimmy died, blaming themselves for his death. Not Clark... because Clark decided to become a solitary hero.

She dealt with all that grief for her husband, the one simple sweet thing in her life, and not one person helped her with that. Not one of her friends even stopped by.

So why the hell are people calling her a villain?

She was so scared to sleep at night, she bought a gun. To keep herself from going insane, she spent all her time looking for her cousin, as well as calling Olly hoping he would pick up.

She had to harden. When she got everyone back, she found a way to make sure she was never left to helpless and alone again. She started spying on them. Keeping them close to her in the only secure way she could.

When Lois, Clark, Olly and the JL all came back together, she didn't once express how lonely she must have been. How hurt she must have been that not one of them was there for her. She just took it on the chin, pushed it all way day, and gets on with it because saving the world is, in some ways, easier than dealing with that kind of pain.

Chloe has a store of kryptonite weapons. And we're surprised by this why?

So, anyway, everyone else feel free to vent if you have anything to add
                            Awww... *hugs* I'm sorry your favorite character is going through all of this. It really is terrible.

I don't view her as a "villain" yet so I do see that this is a possible avenue and on a creative level (much as AM has expressed this on a thespian level) I think it would be pretty neat to explore the darker side of this character. However, it's still very sad how much she's suffered.

I've love Chimmy since day one and I took Jimmy's death very hard and almost stopped watching the series because I was so disheartened so I can understand Chloe's POV if all of this did really break her. It would make sense.

Say what you want about Jimmy, but the bottom line is that Chloe DID love him and she lost him in a terrible way and that must have scarred her. She had no support there and this hardened her as an individual. Now she has huge trust issues, especially with Clark because he had NO excuse not to be there for her.

I mean, yes, he had his OWN hangups to deal with but from Chloe's POV that shouldn't have prevented him from being there for her.

It's like she tells him at the end of Doomsday, "Where were you? I needed you?" I think that's the first time Clark really let Chloe down and then throughout the three weeks that Lois was gone Chloe was all alone and she stopped trusting Clark.

I wish that Chloe could let all that go. Everyone makes mistakes and Clark was going through is own inner demons. Just as she is becoming detached NOW, Clark was becoming detached THEN. He didn't distance himself from Chloe or the world to punish anyone. He did all that because he thought that was the right thing to do.

I would be more apt to root for Chloe if I believed she'd ultimately recognize and admit her mistakes but I'm not sure that will happen.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

I'm hoping that someone will confront her with the fact she's shut down since Jimmy's death and is having trouble seeing the line you don't cross. And when she's confronted and she finally deals with it, she might be able to move on. Shut the cameras off and start trusting people again. Then she'll realise what shaky ground she was on.
                            Yes. The only person I see doing that at this point is Oliver because she's actually letting him in.
                            Last edited by Ella; 02-27-2010, 10:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I try to support all the characters on the show, and while I haven't agreed with Chloe recently, I can still see where she is coming from.
                              That's a great attitude to have! I think one should always try to support the characters even if their actions aren't always perfect, because the point is to make the characters as relatable as possible!
                              And the fact that they make mistakes, don't always agree with eachother, onle makes them seem more human like!
                              And I say 'makes them seem more human like', because one has to remember, these are after all characters in a show!
                              Chloe in particular has been through a tremendous ammount of hardship and heartache, and when she need support the most, she didn't get it! Lois dissapeared, Clark chose to leave at that particular time, Oliver, Dinah and Bart were to selfinvoled in their own guilt, so the only thing she could do was help herselb by becoming hard, cinical, untrusting of anyone as to avoind getting hurt and let down by others again! The fact that Oliver is slowly only now managing to break down those walls is actually a big deal!
                              As for her not trusting Clark's methods, well that's her perogative, and let's face it, his trackrecord isn't exactly 100% clean!
                              And one can say a lot about Chloe, but when it comes to business of saving the world she is a pro as any, and she puts saving the day first and her personal issues last, so if she doesn't trust Clark completly, there must be something to it!
                              Last edited by umm; 02-27-2010, 10:50 AM.

Comment

The moment he refused to save Jimmy, is the moment the Chlark friendship ended, and she started treating him as just another part of her superhero help obsession.
                                But that moment shouldn't have ended the relationship because it wasn't anything personal against Chloe. Clark was doing the RIGHT thing. That is the bottom line. If Lois had lost someone close to her (say Lucy) and in that moment SHE was the one asking for a time reversal Clark would have told her the same thing.

So I believe that Chloe had an irrational reaction to this. I do agree this is where the final break in the relationship happened in the present storyline though I think the biggest blow happened as a consequence of two "life crisis" happening at the same time, Clark detaching himself from humanity and Chloe losing everything and needing Clark when he simply couldn't be there for her.

It must kill her that he doesn't even seem to mind. That he doesn't even seem to miss her, because he has Lois, and the Planet now.

That's why she doesn't want to tell him anything. Why should she? He's not her friend anymore, and she's obviously not important to him anymore.
                                I don't think Clark's aware of everything that is happening with Chloe because she isn't telling him anything. She's not having a face-to-face conversation and telling Clark, "How can I trust you, Clark? YOU LEFT ME. You left me during my darkest hour and even today you're still so distant." She's not saying that so how can Clark read minds or hearts? It's obvious to us as viewers because we see and know all but according to Clark's POV, everything seems to be fine with Chloe. She's crossing a few lines here and there but she seems emotionally stable. And that has to do with Chloe being very good at deception. She's keeping herself away because post-Savior, she's the one who started distancing herself.
                                Last edited by Ella; 02-27-2010, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎