Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am angry on Chloe's behalf because...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am angry on Chloe's behalf because...

This episode has opened my eyes a bit.

I've been so wrapped up in how much I love the idea of Chlollie that I have been ignoring my own feelings about Chloe's character in general. But this episode really brought it home for me just how much Chloe's mental state is deteriorating.

And why?

Mainly because of Clark.

Chloe, for day one, was set up as the girl with the unrequited love. It's always been about Chloe's pain and yearning.

Then when she learned his secret, it became about her loyalty. Her trustworthyness. She was always there for Clark, always the one he could call on.

And when she got a Superpower, she really felt that she could always save him. It was insanely dangerous (probably causing some damage to the brain every time), but she knew that no matter what happened shed never be powerless to stop it.

After a while, Clark began taking Chloe for granted. His own personal Google. We all got annoyed. But then we got this shining ray of hope in the idea of 'Watchtower'. Chloe not just being Clark's lapdog, but actually being the eyes and ears of Superheros in general. Using everything she has learned to help people who might actually appreciate it.

But it stalled. The writers didn't focus on the JL. They focused on Veritas instead. And Chloe's character became almost pointless. The only thing I remember her doing in season 7 was getting attacked by Brainiac.

And look at what that did to her. She got a Brainiac brain upgrade. Was granted an intelligence not meant for humans. That's got to have warped her way of thinking a bit. Of course, removing it and erasing her memory also altered things.

Then comes Davis, a lovely guy that she is very confused about, who she tries desperately to save. She cleaned up blood and body parts for him because she thought that his life was worth saving, and because she wanted to protect Clark from having to deal with it in a way that would jepordise his moral code. Everyone turned against her because she did this.

And after all that, can no one else understand why loosing Jimmy would have pushed her over the edge?

The one person who DID appreciate her. The one person who loved her, so simply, just because she was Chloe. No matter what she did, no matter whether she felt the same or not, he loved her. And as annoying as I found their relationship at the time, when I look back at the scene where he gives her watchtower, I really start to understand how broken she must have been by his death.

And who was there to comfort her? No one.

Not Lois, obviously because she was in the future. Not Olly, or any of the JL because they disbanded after Jimmy died, blaming themselves for his death. Not Clark... because Clark decided to become a solitary hero.

She dealt with all that grief for her husband, the one simple sweet thing in her life, and not one person helped her with that. Not one of her friends even stopped by.

So why the hell are people calling her a villain?

She was so scared to sleep at night, she bought a gun. To keep herself from going insane, she spent all her time looking for her cousin, as well as calling Olly hoping he would pick up.

She had to harden. When she got everyone back, she found a way to make sure she was never left to helpless and alone again. She started spying on them. Keeping them close to her in the only secure way she could.

When Lois, Clark, Olly and the JL all came back together, she didn't once express how lonely she must have been. How hurt she must have been that not one of them was there for her. She just took it on the chin, pushed it all way day, and gets on with it because saving the world is, in some ways, easier than dealing with that kind of pain.

Chloe has a store of kryptonite weapons. And we're surprised by this why?

So, anyway, everyone else feel free to vent if you have anything to add

See I could buy into the entire Jimmy's-death-made-Chloe-lose-it thing, but two things are missing:

1. Chloe actually grieving Jimmy. It's already like he never existed.

and

2. Chloe actually acknowledging that she's doing the wrong thing. Or showing some remorse.

We get none of that. All I'm seeing is Chloe thinking she's right about everything and everybody else is always wrong. That's my problem.

Comment

I so agreee with you on everything. Give the girl a break! I mean I'm pretty sure mot of people would react the same she does if they were going through half of what she has. The girl is a mess emotionally and no one was there to help her (I do think Oliver is the one who will help her the most). She has BIG trust issues because she trusted a guy who not only killed her husband but turned out to be a monster who was born only to kill her BFF.

The one time she actually was about to open herself to Clark (Persuasion) he pushed her away and was all about business. He has the nerve to wish that she'll be watching is back more. How is that fair? Did he forgot all of those years where she has been devoting her life for him and put herself in dangerous situations for him.

Chloe basically did say that she was responsible for Jimmy's death. Grieving can be different from a person to another. Some are denying it, some can't stop crying, some are closing themselves....
      Last edited by KSiteTV; 02-27-2010, 10:37 AM. Reason: Please do not talk about other fans.

Comment

Originally posted by -Nora-
        See I could buy into the entire Jimmy's-death-made-Chloe-lose-it thing, but two things are missing:

1. Chloe actually grieving Jimmy. It's already like he never existed.

and

2. Chloe actually acknowledging that she's doing the wrong thing. Or showing some remorse.

We get none of that. All I'm seeing is Chloe thinking she's right about everything and everybody else is always wrong. That's my problem.
        1. Chloe isn't grieving... agreed... that's why she's so messed up... it's entirely unhealthy, but left all on her own to deal with everything that was going on, trying to find her missing cousin... she simply has not dealt with it.

2. Whether or not she's doing the wrong thing is debatable. I personally just think it's very unchloe, and that to me says she is not dealing with her issues.
        Last edited by KSiteTV; 02-27-2010, 10:37 AM. Reason: Rule #10

Comment

ITA with your analysis.

I agree with you, that she had no real grievances after Jimmy died. And its sad the state shes been in for the season. I'm not surprised she had Kryptonite stashed, but I don't like how TPTB are demoralizing her. It seems like a cop out to kill her of the show. Similar to how they ruined Lana's character.

IMO the reason why Chloe had better approval ratings in the past than Lana was because she was a strong independent woman who didn't victimize herself in the hands of a male figure. Plus Chloe actually had morals back than. I really feel for her charachter and I don't know how they are going to redeem her for her wrong doings. Again great analysis.

Comment

I am not sure, Becky. I think, by fair, that I am one of the people who is most angrier about Chloe in this forum. It was not like Ive always HATED her, it was growing in my vains and I can see the progression of it on your post.

I agree that she might have been changed because of Clark, but I am pretty damn sure that he didn't need her to behave like that. If he didnt follow her love? go find someone else to love. If he needed her to hide his secret, do it like Oliver, Martha, Tess or another zillion people who can trust Clark on his own actions. She wanted to save people? So does Lana. I can't stand the idea of anyone trying to be a hero but with the wrong means... anyway I can see her greed about it since she she got some power. Now is all about that, saving people but not saving herself. Stealing? Killing? Lying? Come on.

Davis was not about saving him only, that was lust there.

And after all that, can no one else understand why loosing Jimmy would have pushed her over the edge?

no.

And who was there to comfort her? No one.

They were dealing with it by their own as well. She could always have started to see a therapist.

So why the hell are people calling her a villain?

She is not one, she has becoming one. Not every villain is born made of evil sometimes they just make bad choices. She is like Anakin Skywalker. Power has turn her into a sith. (the geekiest
            comment ever)
            For me, Savior was heartbreaking. But then, Chloe was just pushed down the hill. Her character just failed.

Chloe has a store of kryptonite weapons. And we're surprised by this why?

I am not surprised by that, I am surprised that she is just trying to do everything by herself and not trusting Clark. Because it seems that every single thing that goes wrong in this show it is HIS fault.

Anyway, I have accepted that I have just a little sympathy for Chloe. And it regards her loneliness, which it just wont justify the sex parade with Oliver Queen. But this is something to post somewhere else.

Comment

Chloe is responsible for herself just like everyone else.

Comment

I try to support all the characters on the show, and while I haven't agreed with Chloe recently, I can still see where she is coming from.
                Last edited by KSiteTV; 02-27-2010, 10:38 AM. Reason: Rule #10

Comment

Maybe her involvement with Oliver will lead to a revelation of sorts. Maybe she'll open up to him and let some of the grief out. She really needs to.

Ollie may be a womanizer, but he tries to be a good friend and seems to be a good listener. He actually seems to be moving past Lois and being as supportive as he can of her relationship with Clark.

So maybe he'll be the friend Chloe so desperately needs. Clark has been so close to her in the past he might not be seeing the big picture. Oliver could be the objective ear she needs, I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Cogito17
                    I know people hate this comparison, but Chloe does seem to be getting the "Lana treatment" from the fans. People don't really empathize with the character and simply take a bottomline approach to condemn them.

I try to support all the characters on the show, and while I haven't agreed with Chloe recently, I can still see where she is coming from.
                    I agree. I don't understand all the hate Chloe's getting.

Comment

Originally posted by Maria26
                      Fortunately this forum is not the majority of Smallville viewers because I know TONS of people on forums, sites and all that acutally LOVES Chloe. What I find ironic is that a good majority of Chloe's haters are either Lois fans or Clois fans. Wait now I understand all the Lana's hate on this site...AGAIN!
                      Funny, I haven't watched SV from the beginning and even though I was a Cloiser and saw the hate Chloe was getting online, I was completely open minded about her. Chloe and Chloe alone made me hate her. Lois has nothing to do with this. If I saw Chloe as a threat for Clois it'd be a different matter, but I don't, so my love for Lois and Clois has nothing to do with it.

And just so you know? It's against KSite rules to generalize fanbases, so you might wanna edit your post.

Comment

No one told her to involve herself in this mess. She did it on her own. Yes, she has been there for Clark but Clark has also been there for her. When she learned of his secret, she had a choice of keeping it to herself and not get involved. Instead, as a curiouser, she involved herself on Clark's problems, thus creating problems of her own.

As for Jimmy, yes the poor guy did love her. And she did love him too in her own way but apparently it's not good enough because she attracted herself to Davis.

She's responsible for her own mess just like everyone else. She's not the only one grieving.

Comment

I completely agree with your view on Chloe Hopefulsuicide! Chloe Sullivan is by far the most tragic character I've ever seen on TV! I really don't understand why people don't pitty her for everything she has been through. If I had gone through half of what she had, I don't know what I would do. She has held herself together well considering the amount of crap she has been through the past year...heck, her whole life! She has always tried to do the right thing for everyone and has always been there to protect the ones she loves. I don't understand how people can treat her the way they do! She went through so much just to save everyone and in the end, everyone she tried to save just left her. I understand why Lois did but at the same time, Lois could really be making more of an effort to be there for Chloe...everyone could! The excuse is used that everyone was grieving in their own way alone but I don't buy that at all! No one was really that close to Jimmy other then Chloe and if his death affected them that much, how could they not even try to imagine what Chloe was going through?!

Chloe is always treated like she's the new villain of the show but yet all she is doing is trying to save the world and protect Clark. Same as she always did! She may be doing it in a different and colder way but that's completely understandable and if Clark or anyone else has a problem with it, why aren't they trying harder to help Chloe?! Clark is quick to jump the gun and pull the trigger and accuse Chloe of all these horrible and wrong things she is doing, yet he does absolutely nothing to show her why he thinks what she is doing is wrong and help her out of the line of thinking she is currently on! She has every right to be cold and distant because that is what she has been forced into! How can someone honestly expect for Chloe to go through what she did and come out all smiles and sunshine?! No normal sane person would come out of that experience okay!

Chloe is actually handling thing surprisingly well considering what she went through! How she still manages to function is beyond me!
                          Last edited by Clo822; 02-27-2010, 08:32 AM.

Comment

I am sorry if I hate her. I am not a hater at all. Her actions caused this, not my ship. Ive written my reasons as I tried to make a point, showing down by reasons.

So as I was saying: Clark's choice to deal with Jimmy's dead was not good as well. Everyone was grieving. Oliver turned himself as a wacko because of it. Well.. care a bit about him too, he is going on the same path.

Comment

Originally posted by cara410
                              I agree. I don't understand all the hate Chloe's getting.
                              Well her character was well used the first 4 seasons then she found out Clark's seccret and it felt like they just shoehorned her into the storylines for no reason other then to try give her fanbase something to watch. That's where my hate comes from. As for Chloe being good or evil, I really don't think about it to much. Sadly I think people debating/arguing if Chloe is good or bad to the producers is a good thing, if you really dislike the character the best thing to do is show apathy towards her.
                              Last edited by Supsfan; 02-27-2010, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎