Collapse
No announcement yet.

Major Problem(s) with Lois Lane: A Gender-Based Character Analysis

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bosworth's Lois is a direct transfer of Chloe Sullivan. You could easily see Allison Mack in that role.

Comment

• Originally posted by SweeneyVianne
      Bosworth's Lois is a direct transfer of Chloe Sullivan. You could easily see Allison Mack in that role.
      I can see Allison doing almost anything. She's that talented...but I disagree that Kate Bosworth's version of Lois is anything similar to Chloe...

But the discussion needs to be pulled back to Persuasion. I am curious as to what supervision will answer about Lois being a strong person, but can also be a woman?

Comment

• Never mind.
        Last edited by DA_Champion; 06-05-2010, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SweeneyVianne
          Bosworth's Lois is a direct transfer of Chloe Sullivan. You could easily see Allison Mack in that role.
          Sorry for going off topic again but no I don't see Bosworth's Lois as a direct transfer of Chloe Sullivan. I couldn't picture Chloe being a jilted lover with a holier than thou attitude Bosworth's Lois had. Nor being stupid enough to take her 5 year old to an investigation.

Back on topic why are we seeing being a woman and being a strong person as two different things? I never saw the show be like well Lois is a woman in love so she has to be like this now instead of what she was before she and Clark got toether.

Comment

• Originally posted by Smokethatkryptonite
            Back on topic why are we seeing being a woman and being a strong person as two different things?
            Pretty much!

If by chance "feminine" or "womanly", was meant to be "having emotions"

...I don't think that the original poster of this thread wants Lois to be emotionless, just herself...

Lois took five steps back in her character progression and Clark was eating it up like Martha's freshly baked apple pie. That's the problems I had with Persuasion.

It was just silly for someone like Clark of all people to complain about "work" getting in the way of a relationship, or asking for something "traditional". He's an alien who has an alternate ego for God's sake. It was just ridiculous, all of it.

Comment

• With all due respect to all that have written here, now that the season is over, for me, the questioned has changed.

ED - in an interview - said that she questioned the writers as to how Lois was worthy of Superman. The way she was written and the way she portrayed the character- the question is , IMHO, how is Clark worthy of Lois Lane?

Peace

Comment

• Originally posted by Cage
                With all due respect to all that have written here, now that the season is over, for me, the questioned has changed.

ED - in an interview - said that she questioned the writers as to how Lois was worthy of Superman. The way she was written and the way she portrayed the character- the question is , IMHO, how is Clark worthy of Lois Lane?

Peace
                What exactly was it in Smallville that made Clark fall in love with Lois? I mean we've known since Crimson that he's always been physically attracted to her but what made him fall for Lois Lane the person?

Comment

• Originally posted by Smokethatkryptonite
                  What exactly was it in Smallville that made Clark fall in love with Lois? I mean we've known since Crimson that he's always been physically attracted to her but what made him fall for Lois Lane the person?
                  It started - unbeknownst to Tom Welling - in Season 8 when she spoke to the Red/Blue Blur. He saw a side of her that she had kept hidden from almost everyone - she was compasionate and caring to the RBB. He realizes he misses that + plus her other attributes when she's gone -

The blur calls Lois in Episode 1 of season 9 . He is in love with her then - no one thing makes him fall in love with her - it's the whole package -

see he sees both parts of her as the same person -

she see the whole persona of Clark as two people - hence the pscoanalyses(sp).

When he became the hero in rabid - then she was able to once again focus on Clark and not CK and the RBB

no one does one thing that makes one fall in love - it's the whoe package, you fall in love when you see the whole package - as Clark did.

Hope that makes sense -

it's my theory anyway

Peace

Comment

• Originally posted by Cage
                    With all due respect to all that have written here, now that the season is over, for me, the questioned has changed.

Peace
                    Beats me. I don't think that he is. He's a hero, and he saves lives, I'll always give him credit for that, but he sucks in the relationship department, always has. Any progress that he's made, Lois has had to train him like a bad puppy. It's emasculating...not that I oppose a little emasculation.

Comment

• I just saw it as Lois dismissing the romantic things when Clark was actually craving it....I mean the girlfriend's he had were lovey dovey and Lois does not really like all that cheese.

Comment

• I know I'm a modern, career orientated woman whose goals in life are not centred around a man. So, why is Persuasion one of my all time favourite episodes? Oh yeah, it must be the kiss in the barn attic, all done in one sweeping motion shot without any cuts or editing, which made it look so natural and extremely sexy.

I had suspicions when I watched that episode that the two actors were in love in real life. That little sigh Clark gave when he hugged Lois after the kiss seemed to give it away. Natural. Undirected. Real.

That must be it.

So, the fangirl in me loved that scene and that episode.

Does that strip away all my ideals and principles of what it means to be a strong, independent, confident woman?

I don't think it does. Persuasion was essentially a story about a traditional romance, and showed very clearly that a traditional romance does not and will never work for our favourite couple.

Comment

• They should have done it like in Daredevil comics:

Comment

• This thread is very ironic given how S10 Lois had more mood swings over a man than I've ever seen. First she goes to Africa because of Clark, then comes back, then says she never gives up but an episode or two later is ditching Clark practically at the altar and still wants a hug. Then she agrees to marry Clark again and all through the season her journalistic career is pretty much being a cheerleader for the Blur. She lets him talk her out of a big story in Harvest even if it does pay off in the end but she didn't know that. Sure Lois gets a promotion but it sure does happen offscreen. She won't even interview Booster Gold even to expose his ass if nothing more.

Comment

• ^^Well, you know, love does strange things to people they wouldn't ordinarily do. I didn't mind that Lois was a Blur cheerleader as any woman would be for her man. I'm sure Lois will come down off her cloud and while still loving Clark, will be that bulldog of a reporter still getting in trouble and Superman saving her.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎