No announcement yet.

Red sun gives Kandorians powers?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red sun gives Kandorians powers?

I might just have missed something, but I don't get why the Red sun will give the Kandorians powers... can someone explain that to me.

As I understood it, Kryptonians are from Krypton. Krypton had a red sun. On Krypton they had no powers. When they come to earth, and are under a yellow sun, they then gain powers...

So why is it that it's different for Kandorians? Why will a red sun give them powers? Would Kandorians have powers on Krypton then?

Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide
    I might just have missed something, but I don't get why the Red sun will give the Kandorians powers... can someone explain that to me.

As I understood it, Kryptonians are from Krypton. Krypton had a red sun. On Krypton they had no powers. When they come to earth, and are under a yellow sun, they then gain powers...

So why is it that it's different for Kandorians? Why will a red sun give them powers? Would Kandorians have powers on Krypton then?
    Along with the fact that these Kandorians are clones, created by the blood samples taken by the original hosts 20 years prior to Krypton's destruction, the real Jor el knowing that if they were to be unleashed on earth, they'd be unstoppable...tampered with their genes, infusing blue kryptonite to their body cells, thus they don't have their normal powers under the Yellow sun.

So now, due to their reversed biology, the way they get their powers is different

Comment

This is something that has baffled many of us ever since "Pandora" and perhaps even before that. It seems that they are retconning things to say that since they have Blue K in their system (due to Jor-El irradiating the orb with it in the past), that somehow when under the red sun they gain their powers (like some sort of Bizarro thing going on).

On Krypton of course, under a red sun, blue k has no effect on them. Kryptonians aren't supposed to be granted powers under a red sun, otherwise you would think they would have carried Blue K around with them on Krypton to gain super powers there.

They did mention they found a way to regain their powers without the Book of Rao. Perhaps the Book of Rao would have given them the knowledge to reverse the effects of the blue k in their system and have powers under a yellow sun.
      Last edited by Vergon6; 02-20-2010, 07:41 AM.

Comment

OK, here's how I understand it:

Jor-El corrupted the orb that the cloned Kandorians were in with Blue-K (which is mostly irrelevant), so that the Kandorians, who would normally have powers under the yellow sun rays, won't.

Zod's towers/Tess's satellites essentially blocked the earth's atmosphere with some kind of cloud or whatever, and that cloud filters out the yellow rays of the yellow sun, making them red (the color red is also irrelevant). The relevant point is that because of the yellow rays being filtered out, Clark would no longer have his powers. Also, because of the yellow rays being filtered out, the Kandorians would gain their powers.

So, you see, this has nothing to do with the Kandorians being under a red sun. The sun itself was never actually red in "Pandora." The atmosphere was red (it could have been purple, for all it really mattered). The atmosphere was filtering out what gave Clark his powers and the atmosphere was filtering out what robbed the Kandorians of theirs.

ETA: The towers/satellites were just one way for the Kandorians to gain their powers. The other way is the Book of Rao, which probably won't require them to do anything about the yellow sun rays. Maybe there's a spell in it. Or something.
        Last edited by Britas15; 02-20-2010, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Well I still don't get it.

They don't have their powers because of blue kryptonite.

Blue kryptonite stops the yellow sun from giving them powers.

Take away the yellow sun, and you have no need for the blue kryptonite, because they'd STILL have no powers with a red sun...

The only way for them to have gotten powers, would be to somehow stop the blue kryptonite working... surely...

Comment

Well I still don't get it.

They don't have their powers because of blue kryptonite.

Blue kryptonite stops the yellow sun from giving them powers.

Take away the yellow sun, and you have no need for the blue kryptonite, because they'd STILL have no powers with a red sun...

The only way for them to have gotten powers, would be to somehow stop the blue kryptonite working... surely...
            I'm saying that, from the way I understand it, the following is NOT true:

The Kandorians DO NOT have powers under a yellow sun, thus, they DO have powers under a red sun.

Whatever would happen to the Kandorians under a red sun is irrelevant and has never been addressed. The relevant point here is that the Kandorians SHOULD have powers under a yellow sun, because they have the same Kryptonian physiology as Clark. Essentially, they are all the same.

Under a yellow sun, the Blue-K with which Jor-El corrupted the orb robs the Kandorians of their powers. But, if the yellowness of the yellow suns rays gets filtered out by some kind of change to the Earth's atmosphere (as we saw in "Pandora"), then the Blue-K no longer works/matters and the Kandorians gain their powers, because, technically, they are still under a yellow sun, it's just that the negative effects of some aspect of the yellow sun is filtered out.
            Last edited by Britas15; 02-20-2010, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britas15
              OK, here's how I understand it:

Jor-El corrupted the orb that the cloned Kandorians were in with Blue-K (which is mostly irrelevant), so that the Kandorians, who would normally have powers under the yellow sun rays, won't.

Zod's towers/Tess's satellites essentially blocked the earth's atmosphere with some kind of cloud or whatever, and that cloud filters out the yellow rays of the yellow sun, making them red (the color red is also irrelevant). The relevant point is that because of the yellow rays being filtered out, Clark would no longer have his powers. Also, because of the yellow rays being filtered out, the Kandorians would gain their powers.

So, you see, this has nothing to do with the Kandorians being under a red sun. The sun itself was never actually red in "Pandora." The atmosphere was red (it could have been purple, for all it really mattered). The atmosphere was filtering out what gave Clark his powers and the atmosphere was filtering out what robbed the Kandorians of theirs.

ETA: The towers/satellites were just one way for the Kandorians to gain their powers. The other way is the Book of Rao, which probably won't require them to do anything about the yellow sun rays. Maybe there's a spell in it. Or something.
              Indeed, Tess said as much, briefly, but still.

Comment

The Kandorians DO NOT have powers under a yellow sun, thus, the DO have powers under a red sun.

Whatever would happen to the Kandorians under a red sun is irrelevant and has never been addressed. The relevant point here is that the Kandorians SHOULD have powers under a yellow sun, because they have the same Kryptonian physiology as Clark. Essentially, they are all the same.

Under a yellow sun, the Blue-K with which Jor-El corrupted the orb robs the Kandorians of their powers. But, if the yellowness of the yellow suns rays gets filtered out by some kind of change to the Earth's atmosphere (as we saw in "Pandora"), then the Blue-K no longer works/matters and the Kandorians gain their powers, because, technically, they are still under a yellow sun, it's just that the negative effects of some aspect of the yellow sun is filtered out.

So basically, the tower is only filtering out enough of the yellow sun to stop the blue k working, but will let enough through to give them their powers?

Then how come Clark looses all of his?

Comment

It's not that complicated. The clones' genetic make-up simply gives them their powers under the red sun instead of the typical yellow sun that the regular kryptonians like Clark use to get their powers.

It's basically the reverse.

Comment

They still need to explain why Alia had her powers under both yellow sun and red sun in "Pandora". She turned back in time ("Savior") and still had her powers to kill Clark. Now that she's dead...

If they don't explain this, that would be a hell of a plothole.

Comment

The Kandorians DO NOT have powers under a yellow sun, thus, the DO have powers under a red sun.

They still shouldn't have powers under a red sun, even if the blue K in their cells weren't working. Kryptonians gain powers under a yellow sun, because it generates more solar energy, then a red sun does. So, the Kryptonian cells (that are meant to absorb lesser amount of solar energy) are then supercharged, resulting in them developing super powers. So, you see, it's not the color of the sun, that is important.. It's the amount of solar energy they put out.

Comment

So basically, the tower is only filtering out enough of the yellow sun to stop the blue k working, but will let enough through to give them their powers?

Then how come Clark looses all of his?
                        Well, I don't see it as a matter of proportions.

I think it's a matter of the atmosphere (that we saw in "Pandora") filtering out some or other essential aspect of the yellow sun rays. And whatever that essential aspect is, it's what gives the Kandorians their powers, and, conversely, robs Clark of his.

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by jon-el87
                        They still shouldn't have powers under a red sun, even if the blue K in their cells weren't working. Kryptonians gain powers under a yellow sun, because it generates more solar energy, then a red sun does. So, the Kryptonian cells (that are meant to absorb lesser amount of solar energy) are then supercharged, resulting in them developing super powers. So, you see, it's not the color of the sun, that is important.. It's the amount of solar energy they put out.
                        I don't think the show itself ever stipulated that the amount of solar energy is what matters in regard to the Kandorians. As I wrote earlier:

The Kandorians DO NOT have powers under a yellow sun, thus, they DO have powers under a red sun.

Last edited by Britas15; 02-20-2010, 08:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Candice
                          It's not that complicated. The clones' genetic make-up simply gives them their powers under the red sun instead of the typical yellow sun that the regular kryptonians like Clark use to get their powers.

I'm gonna sound like a little kid asking her mother to explain everything soon, but... ummm... why, exactly?

WHY does the clones genetic make-up simply give them powers under a red sun? Cause I thought the clone's genetic make up simply stopped them getting powers at all...

Comment

Originally posted by Candice

It's not.

Or, at least, the show never said it was. The sun was NOT red in "Pandora." The towers and the satellites did something to the earth's atmosphere that blocked out some aspect of the yellow sun's rays. It was the atmosphere that was changed in "Pandora." Not the sun itself.

Comment

I believe this started off as a homage to one version of Zod that was powered by a red sun.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎