Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of this episode?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought the Lois stuff was funny. Emil's scene was the best. I loved everything in the episode. I loved how CK figured out something was wrong all on his own. One of my favorite episodes.
    Last edited by Simba_Muffy; 10-27-2013, 11:06 PM. Reason: Opinion Changed

Comment

It took me a second viewing but having done so, I think it is a brilliant episode. I think initially the whole Lois-gone-homemaker thing sort of overtook the rest of the story as those bits more obviously jump out, but the second viewing has made me appreciate just how tight the rest of the story is. It furthers the season arc with Zod and the Kandorians, it clarifies some of Tess' motives, it reaffirms that Chloe is not somebody that will turncoat on Clark as well as suggesting that she understands how protecting Clark sometimes means protecting him from himself. It shows Clark as somebody who is prepared to be decisive when assessing the greater good. And it highlights Lois' fears that her outspokenness could derail her relationship with Clark.

Nitpicking for a moment, I think the piecing together of the episode could have been cut more smoothly. There were a couple of occasions where the lighter stuff (funny Lois and Emil) were bookmarked by the very dark themes of the rest of the story. The effect is a little jarring but maybe that's what the director was going for - to make the fun moments seem more fun and the darker stuff much darker. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as the rest is on point.

Cassidy has found a very effective way to seamlessly transition Tess from cold controlling ice queen to vulnerable and fearful. You buy into both sides.

Callum is brilliant at portraying Zod as a quiet brooding and manipulative menace, and he continues the consistent Smallville theme of the main villain showing moments of heart and emotion as if they are reluctantly carrying out the heinous deeds. I still think he's playing the audience by talking like Michael Caine from the 60s and 70s!

Allison showed Chloe as going to great lengths to protect Clark, inadvertently pushing him towards being left alone by speaking to Lois so harshly. It was like she was channelling Red K Clark.

Alessandro as Emil? What can I say, I absolutely love Emil in chillout mode. He plays it like a stoner and it works because it's the total opposite of his usual stressed hardworking self. As if to illustrate the point, he's depicted as frantic over not being able to override the Watchtower firewalls, then immediately becomes a dude after Clark suggests he relax. Top stuff.

Lois as homemaker is another plus for the episode. It's a way of revealing her vulnerabilities to the audience, and showing off her appalling cooking. That roast meat was so burnt even Shelby wouldn't touch it! And when she piling those greens on Clark's plate, they sound rock hard too. Her emotional breakdown is played as 1950s melodrama, and her happiness at getting married is ridiculous but funny. The dress, the phonecalls, the dance. I should be appalled at such "chick flick" fare but again it really works here. My favourite scene of hers is the final one with Clark because I think Erica's great when she plays Lois all flustered, embarrassed and blushing. She goes all hushed, can't look him in the eye and fidgets on the spot. And to try and cover her embarrassment, she suggests that her moving in and the engagement were both Clark's idea, the cheeky mare!

This is one of Tom's strongest episodes as Clark because he's proactive and decisive, and I prefer him that way. I think Tom's a better actor when Clark isn't all mopey and indecisive. He's great at playing awkward and nervous, as he does when Clark is glad to get away when handed the RAO opening ceremony story to follow up, and at the dinner table with Lois. He's nailed down the fed up look as he shows when sat at the table (he has the same look when crowned King in Homecoming). And he's strong when displaying the simmering anger when wanting to know who was behind Jor-el's death. Clark playfully teasing Lois about her outfit is another winner because he knows she's putty in his hands whenever he goes a little bit alpha male with her.

Tess' fight with Chloe is one of the better chick fights in the series. Her fight with Lois at the DP in Doomsday might have been one of the best but it's brief and Tess gets knocked out with a hole punch. Here it is brutal for both ladies and Tess ends up eating gravel when ragdolled by an angry Clark.

The funeral scene looks very poignant and powerful, and suggests a closeness and unity of purpose between the Kandorians. They are shown as hopeful yet suitably saddened by the loss of one of their own.

The final 'Petronas Towers' scene (that's what they look like to me) is a cool effect shot, but it's weird that Zod conducts press interviews in an alleyway and it's even weirder that the towers collapse in the midst of what looks like a heavily built up area. What about all the people nearby?

Still, I suppose it sits well with the rest of the episode as another example of something jarring.
      Last edited by Bally; 03-22-2016, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• Can't recall the last time I rewatched this episode. Thought Erica was given some really good comedic moments, as the mind controlled Lois.

I like that they had Chloe call out on how bad the Clana relationship was for Clark. And it was nice to see a Kryptonian funeral. I like that they included some details, that seperates it from funerals in the western world, on this planet. They're supposed to be from a different culture, so they should have different traditions from us. At the same time, they didn't go overboard with it (which is a good thing). They didn't throw in a bunch of weird stuff, in an effort to make it weird. Sometimes, sci-fi (like Star Trek) throws in weird things about aliens (both in their biology and culture), simply because they're supposed to be aliens and not because it makes sense.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎