Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Clark fall under his own spell?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was filled with happiness when he said that. If people screwed me over and over and I had such powers, I'd get some nasty fantasies also. That's human, I think. Cruel, but it's who we are. Bringing that in Clark was nice for a change.

Comment

Originally posted by e-µ-i
      I was filled with happiness when he said that. If people screwed me over and over and I had such powers, I'd get some nasty fantasies also. That's human, I think. Cruel, but it's who we are. Bringing that in Clark was nice for a change.
      He is not human. He may be benign, nerdy Superman is what we can't be but hope we can be. But still not human.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexfromLubbock
        He is not human. He may be benign, nerdy Superman is what we can't be but hope we can be. But still not human.
        He may not be human but he was raised as one for the formative years of his life. If that had no influence on him, then there would be no need for Clark Kent.

Also, that makes it seem as though Kryptonians were an utopian society where no one was tempted to murder, where there were no wars. As we can see from Zod alone, killing or being tempted to kill aren't just for humans.

So no, Clark doesn't have some biological hardwire from being Kryptonian that tells him murder is bad. It's his humanity that does that.

Comment

I think every superhero deep down wishes they could kill every once and a while. Losing your dad is a hard thing to live through, trust me, I have had experience.

Comment

That was one of the few things in this episode I liked. Everybody is tempted to kill at some point, even superheroes. Its the ability to rise above that and not kill that makes them special. I thought it made Clark seem more real when he admitted that.

Comment

Originally posted by dogstar85
              He may not be human but he was raised as one for the formative years of his life. If that had no influence on him, then there would be no need for Clark Kent.

Also, that makes it seem as though Kryptonians were an utopian society where no one was tempted to murder, where there were no wars. As we can see from Zod alone, killing or being tempted to kill aren't just for humans.

So no, Clark doesn't have some biological hardwire from being Kryptonian that tells him murder is bad. It's his humanity that does that.
              I never said the influence of the Kents didn't affect him in fact that may be where it comes from. I am just pointing out that he has to rise above Human temptations and fears that's what truly makes him who he is. It may also explain why he is not as popular as other heroes because he doesn't express those emotions. And even in a current Superman story he is surrounded by 100,000 other Kryptonians and the whole purpose is to say that there is something special about him particular.

Comment

I tend to agree that it's not never being tempted that makes them heroes, it's never succumbing to the temptation. As someone said, he recognizes it would be so much easier to make a little Zod-puddle with this heat vision, but restrains himself to find a different way to handle things.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs_TomWelling
                  But such 'purity' is something you earn, not something you're born with, and Clark is no exception. And Smallville is the perfect platform to show how Clark eventually became the hero who is above reproach. Personally, I don't think I have it in me to wish death on anyone, but I totally understand why Clark would feel that way sometimes. He's had his fair share of tragedy since his teenage years, seeing both of his fathers die before his eyes. Are humans inherently good? Are we inherently evil? I think it's a little bit of both, but it's the decisions we make that define who we are.
                  That's a big reach. Purity is a state from beggining that can only have an end. You can't earn it. It's not like being respected, or gathering experience. It's like being virtuous. You either are or you aren't.

In the context of Smallville, the thing is that the supporting characters and the environment are so mersed in the human struggle that a Clark Kent who was a virtuous alien would really not make for good viewing week in week out. To answer the original thread topic, sorry but you got to take Smallville for what it is. Just another intepretation of the original Superman.

Comment

I was kinda bothered by it, but we've seen it. Like in Pariah with alicia, and then that one Vengence girl from season 5. I hope it isn't a constant struggle, and I hope it turns out to be no struggle.

Comment

Infact I wouldn't say "just" another interpretation because Smallville's Clark Kent character conflicts have shed a lot more meat onto the facets of Superman than anything before, as far as my understanding of the hero is concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by BackToTheLies
                        That's a big reach. Purity is a state from beggining that can only have an end. You can't earn it. It's not like being respected, or gathering experience. It's like being virtuous. You either are or you aren't.

In the context of Smallville, the thing is that the supporting characters and the environment are so mersed in the human struggle that a Clark Kent who was a virtuous alien would really not make for good viewing week in week out. To answer the original thread topic, sorry but you got to take Smallville for what it is. Just another intepretation of the original Superman.
                        We can argue semantics here but I really believe that a good portion of Superman's virtues were earned not inherited. That's why Jor-el had to strategically launch Clark's ship so that the Kents would discover him and raise him.

Comment

If Clark is truly a step above the Kryptonians in some comicverse then I would guess it is because he is different from them in that he was raises by the Kents since he was an infant plus he has had Jor-El to influence him as well. All that makes him better equipped to not succumb to his weaknesses i.e wanting to kill, but that doesn't mean he doesnt have them.
                          Last edited by Dyanara; 02-20-2010, 01:45 PM. Reason: Mispelling

Comment

I wish he could too.

Comment

I wasn't bothered by Clark's declarations too much. Actually, I was a little confused to what was happening. Initially, I thought Zod was persuading Clark. After watching the scene a few times, I felt Clark persuaded himself.

Clark told Zod he wanted him to tell the truth and asked if he killed Jor-El. Which Zod replied he didn't. The request to tell the truth seemed to not apply to anything else Zod had to say. He had no problems lying about Tess. I think Zod thought if he could trouble the water, he could convince Clark to get rid of Tess for him. Also, with Clark's hands dirty, Zod would have a hold over him. Isn't Zod supposed to be a master manipulator?

One could see the turmoil Clark went through as Zod talked to him. At one point he said, "You must avenge him." You could see Clark momentarily agree and then shake it off. At this point Clark is already a little off, maybe as xrayvision mentioned in his post on the first page of this thread (poisoning his mind). Zod also mentioned how he beat/tortured Jor-El. I think this put Clark over the top and he snapped, grabbed Zod and yelled, "You don't think I want justice? You don't think I want revenge? You don't think sometimes I want to be a killer like you?" Look at the bolded parts of Clark's questions. IMO, he just persuaded himself to seek revenge. To top it off, as Dr. Hamilton said, there wasn't any take back. Clark wasn't able, nor did it seem like he tried to dissuade himself from wanting to kill Tess. Only the green-k negated the affect.

Comment

I don't think so much that he wants to be a killer as it would be easier if he were, and we all want life to be easier... I mean when we are angry don't we all wish we could just take it out on whoever made us that way? Don't we all have the little bad voice? Clark doesn't often listen to that voice but his life would be easier if he did... that's what makes him a hero.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎