Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Clark fall under his own spell?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

He is not suppose to wish he could kill at all. Superman is meant to be above that type of thinking. I am reminded what comic book writer Grant Morrison said which is: Superman is something so pure and it says allot about the human imagination that we were able to create something like that when we are so screwed up.

He can't be that way at all and if the writers think that then they don't get Superman. I know it's hard for writers to write a character with no angst or self doubt but when it comes to Superman he has to be that way. They should have made it very clear this was a persuasion of Zod not Clark's thoughts.
    Exactly. I was left with the impression he wants to kill but doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by SVFancross
      Exactly. I was left with the impression he wants to kill but doesn't.
      Yes. This emotion is called ANGER. Clark not using his powers to kill others dispite his anger is why he's Superman. Clark may not be human, but he has all the emotions.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexfromLubbock
        He is not suppose to wish he could kill at all. Superman is meant to be above that type of thinking. I am reminded what comic book writer Grant Morrison said which is: Superman is something so pure and it says allot about the human imagination that we were able to create something like that when we are so screwed up.
        But such 'purity' is something you earn, not something you're born with, and Clark is no exception. And Smallville is the perfect platform to show how Clark eventually became the hero who is above reproach. Personally, I don't think I have it in me to wish death on anyone, but I totally understand why Clark would feel that way sometimes. He's had his fair share of tragedy since his teenage years, seeing both of his fathers die before his eyes. Are humans inherently good? Are we inherently evil? I think it's a little bit of both, but it's the decisions we make that define who we are.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexfromLubbock

He can't be that way at all and if the writers think that then they don't get Superman. I know it's hard for writers to write a character with no angst or self doubt but when it comes to Superman he has to be that way. They should have made it very clear this was a persuasion of Zod not Clark's thoughts.

And if anyone tries to argue that Clark is not the same Superman as in the comics then I have to say that Smallville's Clark is just plain flawed and quite frankly a inferior Clark Kent to what he really is.
          ITA. For some reason, the writers and a lot of the viewers seems to think that you can go one way and then have the character do a 180 degree turn. It's just not psychologically valid.

Comment

Originally posted by herolee10
            Yeah, if you're familiar with the character's history in the comics along with other interpretations of the character itself, it would be a well known thing that even Superman has had the temptations of crossing over that moral line at times when face with a tough situation.

It's what makes him in a sense Human, to come across those types of temptations. I mean, if someone were to kill his parents in cold blood, it'd be natural that he'd develop such hatred and rage against the killer, anyone would.

One of the things that makes superman so great is that even though he may come across these temptations and moments of weaknesses, he is able to triumph over them and not forget about his principles.

SV's Clark wouldnt' be the first interpretation to have said such a thing tonight.
            QFT even LnC depicted these very human emotions, in the comics when Lois was killed by the Joker, Supes contemplated revenge, killing the Joker, though Lois final words were for him not to cross the line, and some cases he isn't above such anger, people should really know the history before making various presumption on the character. And in SV, Combat this Clark Kent had already expressed these feelings, why is it so new?

Comment

I'm sorry but what is wrong with Clark admitting he sometimes wants to cross that line. I have heard and seen of many good people, usually in law enforcement, who wish they could kill the worst of the worse. Not having the urge to do that is not what makes Superman strong, it is having that urge and never giving into it.
              In the JLU series, he was going to kill Lex after he thought he caused Flash's death. He wanted to but he didn't do it and blatantly sAid he wished he could but that it wasn't him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs_TomWelling
                But such 'purity' is something you earn, not something you're born with, and Clark is no exception. And Smallville is the perfect platform to show how Clark eventually became the hero who is above reproach. Personally, I don't think I have it in me to wish death on anyone, but I totally understand why Clark would feel that way sometimes. He's had his fair share of tragedy since his teenage years, seeing both of his fathers die before his eyes. Are humans inherently good? Are we inherently evil? I think it's a little bit of both, but it's the decisions we make that define who we are.
                That gets back to what I was saying about how hard it is to understand that Superman or Clark Kent is meant to be above that. I can only think of three examples where Superman was like that and they such extreme measures that I don't think a tv show can match up. Even in Clark's youth he was like that in all versions so that's why I can't understand this "Young" Clark on Smallville would need to journey into being like that when he is usually always like that since childhood.

Comment

Clark isn't Superman yet, and it makes him more heroic when he becomes tempted by these feelings and overcomes them imo.
                  Don't worry guys, he'll become the Superman we all know and love.......he's just not quite there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by L Nasty388
                    wow does no one remember "rogue" from season 1? when that cop framed jonathan for murder and then approached clark at the house and had a confrontation and then later clark straight up told jonathan at the jail that he wanted to kill the guy
                    Rogue is actually one of my all time favorite episodes. On my top three list. Probably the most underrated episode of the show IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                      ITA. For some reason, the writers and a lot of the viewers seems to think that you can go one way and then have the character do a 180 degree turn. It's just not psychologically valid.
                      The thing is, he's already expressed those feelings, but his convictions remain in not allowing that anger to supersede his morality. He's not a robot, he has these emotions. He doesn't want to kill people, he wants revenge, easy concept to understand and why he resolves himself not to take revenge.

Comment

OK......first of all.......Clark/blur saying that is NOT OOC......he has felt this many times. in SV universe/comics etc....

2 This whole crap about he wasn't himself.....or she wasn't herself...i don't buy that for a second......no matter who it was....their actions may have been questionable,,,BUT the intent and what they felt WAS NOT!l

3 saying that clark was human....thus he must feel these emotions is just wrong.....who says aliens don't feel that way.....just b/c he's from another world doesn't mean what he feels is a human emotion...instead of alien or whatever.....

Also.....i happen to REALLY love that comment he made.....it made him more realistic as a hero.....i adore superman...and its scenes like this that make him that much more.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonR
                          I think sometimes people hold Superman on too high of a pedestal, assuming he never has one bad thought, that he'd never want to cross a line because it's easier, etc. That makes him too God-like, and we need to remember that he's not God.
                          Exactly. And if people are so worked up with Clark-God comparison, remember that even God himself was tempted. Sorry for infusing religious analogy in here.

Comment

I have never read a comic book in my life and even I know Superman isn't some unfeeling deity who is never tempted. Everyone is tempted even Jesus who Supes is often times compared to.

Comment

Originally posted by Dyanara
                              I have never read a comic book in my life and even I know Superman isn't some unfeeling deity who is never tempted. Everyone is tempted even Jesus who Supes is often times compared to.
                              You should start reading comics, THEY ARE AWESOME!!!!

Comment

It makes Clark/Superman a greater person to being tempted to kill and then rising above that temptation, rather than never having any such temptations at all. I guess I missed the part where Superman became a perfect deity.

I think that's what makes Clark special. Like he told Alec last week, he has these superpowers which means he has to be more in control than everyone else.

And he's been tempted to murder in other mediums including the comics so I don't understand where this supposed Godlike version of Superman is coming from.

And different comic book writers have different visions of Superman. It doesn't necessarily make them right. I don't agree with Superman living in the sun being a near-deity but that's one person's vision.
                                Last edited by dogstar85; 02-20-2010, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎