Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chloe's Metaphors!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread! The second I heard her talking about her involvement in Roulette I just about died laughing. I knew there'd be something on this site about all her metaphors! It was almost, almost, like vintage Chloe. It's usually funny and quippy when people do it, to me, at least. But in this episode it was so noticeable it was pretty laughable. I loved it. Made me start to like Chloe a little bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by Skaterpen357
      Geez, Drama Queen, not to knock your crown but you look like you could use a jester right about now.
      NICE.

Comment

Originally posted by hellokitty

This thread! The second I heard her talking about her involvement in Roulette I just about died laughing. I knew there'd be something on this site about all her metaphors! It was almost, almost, like vintage Chloe. It's usually funny and quippy when people do it, to me, at least. But in this episode it was so noticeable it was pretty laughable. I loved it. Made me start to like Chloe a little bit more.
        That's when I had my 'major overreaction' moment, I exploded into a mixture of exasperation and laughter while trying to fathom what on Earth she was talking about

Originally posted by DarkKal
        I think there is less metaphors in Chloe's dialogue than the previous seasons. Seriously before every other line was a metaphor for something, except it used to be funny and interesting now it's just annoying.

Maybe I've just forgotten how bad it used to be or I've been lulled into a false sense of security before the metaphors struck again. I might have to go back and relive vintage Chloe.
        Last edited by amalie; 01-30-2010, 03:02 PM.

Comment

It really doesn't bother me it's funny to me!! It's Chloe what can you say!!

Comment

Originally posted by umm
            And you should forget about it, cause there is nothing wrong with Chloe's metaphors, it's just that she can never do anything right in certain eyes! Next episode it will probably be her clothes to be criticised and judged!
            I have to say I LOVE Chloe's clothes so if anyone stars criticizing them, I'm gonna start throwin punches

I usually love the Chloe one liners, but in this last episode there were LOTS! It's almost as if the writers were like, hey Chloe's got more than 5 mins of screen time in this episode, so let's fill it with as many witticisms are we can!

The one about her changing a few tires along the way; it just went too far, but you gotta love Allison Mack's delivery

Comment

I usually don't mind her metaphors or lois's but for some reason last night they were just falling flat to me lol, maybe because there were too many closely following each other. When she made the one about the tires I was just UGH not another one! I don't mind her use of them usually because they tend to be amusing, last night not so much lol.

Although I gotta say when Clark continued her metaphor of her shattering Oliver and he said well now I have to go pick up the pieces, I thought that was badass lol. So yeah some of her metaphors worked and some just fell flat.

Comment

It's been going on a long time and I must admit I wish Chloe would use fewer metaphors.

Comment

I think with out metaphors from chloe each episode it is not really a smallville episode. I love her metaphores.

Comment

I'm usually too busy thinking about how gorgeous she is to really dwell too much on stuff like this, but it is kinda cool to see all those metaphors lined up like that. And honestly, I like the way she speaks. Unrealistic a bit? Maybe, but it's our Chloe Sullivan, and I love her just the way she is.

Comment

Chloe is the new Lionel. Remember how he used to talk in puzzles? I had to go back and be like what did he just say sometimes....

Comment

Originally posted by Mizz Lane
                        Although I gotta say when Clark continued her metaphor of her shattering Oliver and he said well now I have to go pick up the pieces, I thought that was badass lol. So yeah some of her metaphors worked and some just fell flat.

I liked that one too so I didn't list it in my original post.

That one worked. Some of the others? Not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Britas15
                          ^^^^ I agree with that. It was a bit much in "Disciple."

Though, admittedly, her language does tend to get really tiring at other times, too. I mean, geez, just say what you mean. The constant stream of metaphors and references doesn't make her seem clever. It makes her seem intentionally inaccessible and haughty. Though, that's kind of how she's been overall this year.
                          I disagree. Admittedly, the metaphor concerning Oliver's Roulette challenge was a bit convoluted, but other than that I like these! I know several people who frequently use metaphors to display their humor & wit. In fact, I think it's the only good writing I depend on from Smallville.

It's pretty in character for Chloe. They try to give her snarky wit while still showing that she cares about the situation at hand. Personally I don't find it inaccessible at all, or haughty.

----- Added 3 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Aries83
                          Love that icon!

Yeah, the only episodes where lines like that really got on my nerves were the ones with Linda Lake. However, I can see your frustration.

Just remember that Allison Mack was chosen for the role because she had a real ability to deliver lines like that over other actresses who tried out for the part. Not that that excuses it, though...
                          ITA with this. In fact I read somewhere that they liked that AM could deliver such expositional dialogue and make it feel approachable, like a real conversation. Which I think she does.

----- Added 8 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by pizzahead2490
                          You know Lois kinda speak the same way as well. Except when it comes out of Lois mouth it's actually funny.
                          I think the writers are trying to get different reactions from different people. When Lois says the lines she's Lois- it's purposely overdramatic and all about the punch line. And yes, it can be funny. (My personal fave right now is from Pandora, when Lois makes the childhood clubhouse reference. Cracked me up.)

Chloe's humor is meant to be funny, but subtle. It's almost a way of keeping things light and natural as she's dealing with the crisis of the week. They're usually quick asides in conjunction with some explanational setup of what's going on & what comes next... They're not meant to be fall out of your seat funny.
                          Last edited by smallvillefics; 01-31-2010, 12:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I disagree. Admittedly, the metaphor concerning Oliver's Roulette challenge was a bit convoluted, but other than that I like these! I know several people who frequently use metaphors to display their humor & wit. In fact, I think it's the only good writing I depend on from Smallville.
                            It's pretty in character for Chloe. They try to give her snarky wit while still showing that she cares about the situation at hand. Personally I don't find it inaccessible at all, or haughty... In fact I read somewhere that they liked that AM could deliver such expositional dialogue and make it feel approachable, like a real conversation. Which I think she does.
                            I think the writers are trying to get different reactions from different people. When Lois says the lines she's Lois- it's purposely overdramatic and all about the punch line. And yes, it can be funny. (My personal fave right now is from Pandora, when Lois makes the childhood clubhouse reference. Cracked me up.)
                            Chloe's humor is meant to be funny, but subtle. It's almost a way of keeping things light and natural as she's dealing with the crisis of the week. They're usually quick asides in conjunction with some explanational setup of what's going on & what comes next... They're not meant to be fall out of your seat funny.
                            I agree! Whereas Lois metaphors are meant to be openly humoristic and serve to lighten the mood, Chloe's are subtle and are meant to shed light on her personality and how she deals witha particular crisis of the weak! She has always had a way with language whether writen or otherwise, and in a way it was her shield a way of deffending herself, from day one, that's what made Chloe Chloe! And it's nice to see, that despite what happened to the character througout the seasons or how many PTB replaced eachother, one charactertrait remained there, namely her verbal judo, her way with metaphors and her way with words!

Comment

Originally posted by pizzahead2490
                              You know Lois kinda speak the same way as well. Except when it comes out of Lois mouth it's actually funny.
                              lol

Yeah... I agree. But when someone doesnt have its own personality all you can is borrow from the others. Such as characters or things like this...

Comment

lolYeah... I agree. But when someone doesnt have its own personality all you can is borrow from the others. Such as characters or things like this...
                                Pray what are you implying?
                                That some characters on Smallville have personality, Lois being one of the few, and others don't!
                                And one doesn't have to be Sherloc Holmes to deduce, given the fact that we have been comparing Lois and Chloe, that you count Chloe amongst the less fortunate characters on Smallville who lack the more colorful personality and thus when they atempt to use metaphors it falls flat on their face! Am I somehwere in the ballpark?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎