Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Outsider

Author: Phoenixnz
    Title: The Outsider
    Main characters: Clark, Lex, Bruce, Callie (OC)
    Rating: PG (at most)
    Genre: angst
    Spoilers: Season Four

Summary: A new person comes to town and quickly sets about matchmaking our two favourite boys.

a/n: I initially had my doubts about putting the story in this forum, because it is written in an entirely different way than I usually do. But the main pairing in this is Clark and Lex, even if the p.o.v is not theirs. I hope you'll understand what I mean.

BTW - I make no apologies for making the character from my own part of the world.

August 2004

Dear Diary

Well, I’m all moved in to the Potter place. At least that’s what the realtor called it when they showed it to me. After I unpacked some of my stuff, I took a walk over to my nearest neighbour. The Kent Farm. It seems so quiet over there. I heard the couple who own the farm have been through some pretty bad times recently. He’s still in the hospital and Mrs Kent spends all her time over there. They have a teenage son. Forgot his name. But he apparently hasn’t been seen since spring.

I took a drive into town just to have a look around. There apparently used to be a really good coffee shop here, but it’s all boarded up. It’s supposed to be owned by the same guy who owns the big fertiliser plant on the other side of town. Somebody Luthor. Anyway, his father, Lionel, is up on murder charges. Apparently it’s a huge scandal in town. From what I hear, the son, god, I still can’t think of his name, is practically the town pariah, despite the fact that he employs a lot of people.

I heard he was sick – poisoned or something. Someone was gossiping about it. They reckoned it was something to do with Lionel. Why am I not surprised there?

I get odd looks when I’m in town. I dropped by the hardware store the other day, getting some paint to do the walls of the house. They looked at me so strangely, as if I was from another planet. Geez, it’s not like I am, you know? Just because I grew up on the other side of the world!

God, I miss good old Enzed. Life was simpler there, not so rushed. You’d think a town like Smallville would be just the same. Just as laidback. But it isn’t. They’re a pretty conservative bunch here. Don’t take kindly to strangers. Little do they know.

I really must get on to that research. I have to find out who my birth mother is. All I know is that she lived here. It says on my birth certificate that I was born at Smallville Medical Center. But the records are pretty much sealed. Well, this was back in the seventies.

I went and saw the doctor who delivered me. He was in a retirement home. I hate those places. It’s not because they’re full of old people, but why do they all have to look so miserable?

Anyway, I managed to get my birth records, even if the mother’s name was blacked out. And this doctor’s name was on it. But he wasn’t very forthcoming.

“Don’t know what to tell you there darlin’,” he said.

I really hate it when people call me that. Especially strangers. It’s almost as bad as being called dearie. I’m not a corner store, I want to say to them. That’s what they’re called back home. Dairies. Stupid people.

“Please,” I begged him. “I just need to know who my mother is. Can’t you help me out?”

“Your momma didn’t want nothing to do with it. It’s not cause she didn’t want you.”

Right, I thought. Generally when people give their kids up for adoption that’s precisely the reason why they do it.

“She was real young when she had you. Seventeen. Poor kid.”

Poor kid? What about me? Didn’t I have the right to know at least something about my biological parents. I mean, don’t get me wrong. I loved my parents. To me, they were real parents. It didn’t matter that they didn’t actually make me. But there are just things you need to know. Things that they can’t give you.

The old man seemed to drift away at that point and I couldn’t get anymore out of him.

I miss my parents. It’s been almost a year since they died. I wish there had been something I could have done to prevent that horrible, tragic accident. But I know they wouldn’t want me to wallow. They always wanted me to look forward to the future. And thanks to them, I was able to come back here. To start over in the country where I was born. And it’s not like they left me with nothing. I’m quite comfortable, thank you very much.

Well, diary, it’s been a month since I last wrote. Things have really changed. My business has really got off the ground and there are people in Smallville coming to me for advice on their own businesses. Which is great. I’m finally able to put my masters in business to good use. I’d built up a steady clientele back home, but of course, after Mom and Dad died, I just lost heart. Plus with everything else that was going on in my life, I just couldn’t find the motivation.

This move has been just what I needed. Of course, there are a few farmers here who kind of resent the idea of someone with a business degree telling them how to run their farms. Little do they know that my parents both came from farming backgrounds, since they both actually came from Smallville themselves. I grew up around a farming community so I do know a little bit about it (okay, more than a little bit).

Ooh, I must tell you this, diary. I met the Kents the other night. Well, first I met Martha Kent. She came over to the house. Knocked on the door. So of course, I opened it. For a woman in her forties she looked amazing!

Um, hi?” I said.

“Hello. I’m Martha Kent. Your neighbour.”

“Oh!” I said, raising my eyebrows. “I meant to drop by and visit. I heard your husband was in the hospital. But everything’s okay now?”

Martha smiled. “Yes. Jonathan is doing well.”

“Well, that’s good to hear.” I fell silent. I’ve always been the shy type. Which is funny, considering I run a business consultancy. You can’t be shy with that sort of thing, but I guess it’s a different story when it’s work.

“Anyway, we wondered if you would like to come over and have dinner with us sometime?” Martha suggested warmly. I felt a huge grin grow on my face.

“That would be lovely! I’d like that very much.”

So, in the end, we decided we’d meet on Friday. That was last week. And oh god, did I ever make a fool of myself! Because I met their son, and wow, is he big. I mean, tall, and sooo good-looking. I swear if I was ten years younger!

“How’s the weather up there?” I joked when I entered the kitchen and bumped into Clark. He just looked at me oddly and I realised it’s a joke that seems to have been completely lost on him. But he is almost a foot taller than me. I mean, I’m kind of average height. Five six. Clark’s got at least nine inches on me. And isn’t it funny how I still think in terms of feet and inches when back home it’s all about metrics?

I made a pavlova to take to dinner. It’s a sweet treat that is sort of native to my part of the world. Former part of the world. I’m an American. I have to remember that.

“What’s this?” Clark asked when I presented it.

“It’s called Pavlova. Don’t ask me why. I think it was named after some ballerina. Anyway, it’s made with egg whites and sugar and a whole bunch of other stuff, and it’s really quite delicious. I figured since I was invited for dinner, I shouldn’t come empty-handed.”

Martha beamed at me. “Thank you. That’s so sweet of you.”

Dinner was great. Conversation quickly turned to local events and I learned a lot about Smallville. Of course, Jonathan had lived there all his life. So had his parents before him. Clark kept giving me these odd looks.

“You sort of remind me of someone,” he said.

I looked at him. “Oh really? Who?”

“Uh, nothing ...” He shrugged. “I just mean you look kind of familiar.”

I swear dear Diary, there was something odd about that boy. The way he kept looking at me, like he was sizing me up.

But as soon as the subject fell on the Luthors there was an eerie silence. Almost as if the subject was taboo. Of course, everyone in town knew by now that Lionel Luthor was convicted of murder. It was surprising, really, how quickly the trial was over. Two weeks. And Lex, that’s his name, is being touted as the saviour of Luthorcorp. Stocks went down, of course, after the scandal hit. But Lex has brought their value back up again.

It will be interesting to meet him. He certainly sounds like quite a character. And word has it that he is reopening the coffee shop. The Talon, I think it’s called. Good. I need a decent coffee. Instant’s okay, but I really need a proper caffeine fix.

a/n: I initially had my doubts about putting the story in this forum, because it is written in an entirely different way than I usually do. But the main pairing in this is Clark and Lex, even if the p.o.v is not theirs. I hope you'll understand what I mean.

BTW - I make no apologies for making the character from my own part of the world.
    I really enjoyed this story. The fact that it's different from what you usually do is what I liked about it the most. That's why I've been doing those song fics. Because they're different from my usual stories. And don't make any apologies about where the character comes from. It's your story. It makes it that more personal. And that is what people will respond to. And after all, I did use my name in one of my stories.

Comment

Originally posted by gem65
      I really enjoyed this story. The fact that it's different from what you usually do is what I liked about it the most. That's why I've been doing those song fics. Because they're different from my usual stories. And don't make any apologies about where the character comes from. It's your story. It makes it that more personal. And that is what people will respond to. And after all, I did use my name in one of my stories.
      Thanks hon. I'll be posting the next chapter in a mo.

Comment

20 September 2004

Well, Diary, here it is another two weeks gone by. I’m really starting to get the measure of this place. Man, Smallville is weird! People are talking about mutants, here! They all blame Luthorcorp for it, but I’ve heard some of the kids talking. There’s something else going on.

I met some of Clark Kent’s friends. There’s this really pretty blonde girl, Chloe something. She seems exceptionally smart. Of course, as soon as she heard my accent she started bombarding me with all sorts of questions. Clark just laughed at her and told her I wasn’t the subject of an interview. She writes for the school newspaper.

Funny, I didn’t think I had an accent.

There’s this other girl. Lana. She’s the same age as Chloe and she’s lovely. Very friendly, although, I don’t know. There’s something a little off-putting about her.

There was this other girl hanging around. Chloe’s cousin, apparently. She took one look at me and sniffed. I didn’t say much to her.

Anyway, I was in the Talon getting a caramel latte ... so good, by the way, and I find out Martha Kent is working there! She’s apparently been hired as the new manager. She confided in me that with Jonathan’s hospital bills, they needed the extra money. I offered to take a look at the farm books and see if there was anything I could suggest to improve business but she told me Jonathan’s pretty stubborn about letting people tell him how to run the farm. And dear diary, I could pick that up straight away.

I popped in the other day to try out a different flavour.

“Hi Martha. Seems pretty quiet in here.”

Martha leaned on the counter and smiled. “Just wait until the high school crowd gets in. Clark made the football team, did you hear?”

“No. That’s great, though.”

“Jonathan doesn’t think so,” Martha said with a grimace.

“Oh?” I watched as she started to make my mocha, adding the chocolate and steaming the milk. “Didn’t Jonathan play when he was in high school? I would have thought he’d be thrilled that Clark’s following in his footsteps.”

“Not this time,” Martha said. “He’s so stubborn!” She sighed and shook her head.

“Hm, sounds a lot like my Dad. Which didn’t help the family dynamics. We used to fight like nobody’s business.”

Martha nodded knowingly. “Sounds a lot like Jonathan and Clark. Honestly, sometimes I feel like I have to be the peacekeeper around those two.”

“You know, I’ve always had this theory that it’s not always about genetics. I mean, sometimes I think it’s because of the people we grow up around. It’s not a bad thing.”

I’d told Martha I was adopted, and she’d told me Clark was adopted. But I do believe genetics don’t always have a lot to do with how our characters develop. I mean, my father, adopted father that is, and I clashed a lot because we were a lot alike. But we’re not related biologically, so work that one out.

Anyway, I was turning to leave when I bumped into the Lex Luthor. He looked me up and down like I was ... hmm, not exactly sure what that look meant. I’m not very good at reading people. Anyway, he’s a really good-looking man. He’s bald. Some sort of accident when he was a kid. He’s about three years younger than me, and apparently stinking rich. Not that that’s an attraction for me. My parents left me pretty well-off.

Well, anyway, here we are, standing in the middle of the Talon, sizing each other up, as you do.

“You must be Mr Luthor,” I said.

“You must be Callie,” he said, making it pretty clear he knew everything that went on in this town.

“Yep, that’s me.”

“I hear you’re some kind of business whiz kid.”

“Oh, I don’t know about whiz kid,” I chuckled. “But yeah, I’m a consultant. Although some would call me a trouble-shooter.”

He kind of glared at me as if to say, go back to where you came from. We don’t like outsiders here. Which was kind of awkward, since he is still considered an outsider here. We were interrupted by the rush of the high school crowd.

“Hey Callie,” Clark said brightly. Then his face darkened when he saw Lex. “Lex,” he said shortly. He looked as if he didn’t know whether to walk out again or stay where he was. Lex got the hint though. He turned and walked to the counter, but not before I saw him shoot a look of longing at Clark, who didn’t notice.

Those two? Really? I wonder if Martha knows? I turned and glanced at her. She looked over Lex’s head at Clark, then back at him. Yep, I thought, seeing her expression. She knows!

Anyway, dear Diary, that’s life in Smallville at the moment.

So far, I haven’t found any more out about my birth family. But I’m getting help from an unexpected quarter. I happened to mention something to Clark about my wanting to find out about my biological family, which he completely understood. And Chloe overheard us and offered to help.

She’s coming over in a bit to show me something. She says she’s uncovered something I might find interesting. Will tell you all about it next time dear Diary.

Comment

27 September 2004

Dear Diary,

I know it’s been a week, but I’ve been so busy and so much has happened.

Well, to start with, Chloe did come over that afternoon, after I finished writing, and she did have something to tell me. She’d been talking to Lana, who’d been talking to her Aunt Nell, who told Lana that there was a girl a year behind Lana’s mother at Smallville High around a year before I was born. And it was quite the scandal. She was only sixteen and she was rumoured to be dating an older man. A man from the city.

Anyway, this girl got pregnant! She left school under a cloud. I mean, this was the school which refused to publish that year’s valedictorian speech because of its ‘controversial nature’. Or so Chloe tells me. Anyway, she dug up an old yearbook and there she was. She doesn’t exactly look like me. I mean, there’s a resemblance.

I was so excited when I saw this. Finally, I knew who my birth mother was. But oh, how quickly I came down. Chloe came by the next day.

“She’s dead!” Chloe told me, coming in and thrusting a newspaper in my hands. It was the story from the day of the meteor shower of ’89. I’d hear d all about it, of course.

The paper had a list of casualties, and sure enough, my mother’s name was among them.

I cannot tell you, dear diary, how my heart sank at that. I was so close to the truth. So close to knowing where I came from. I can’t be satisfied with this. It’s not enough to know who my birth mother was. I need to know more.

Anyway, Chloe and I were sitting in the Talon on Saturday. I treated her to a double mocha latte. We were both feeling a little dejected. Lois came breezing in, as she usually did.

“Why the long faces?” she asked.

“We found Callie’s birth mom, but she died in 89,” Chloe told her. I glanced at Chloe. Did she tell her cousin everything?

“Oh, that’s a shame,” Lois said, giving me a half-smirk. I always knew the girl didn’t like me. Hell, she thinks Smallville is full of hayseeds and hicks. Goodness knows what she thinks about where I grew up.

I was soon about to find out.

“So,” she said, “ tell me, this place where you grew up? Do they actually have cars there or do you still ride around in horse and carriage.”

“Funny, Lois, real funny,” Chloe snarked.

“We are not that backwards,” I retorted, feeling a need to defend my adopted country.

“Actually, I hear it’s quite beautiful there.” I turned, almost startled to see Lex standing there. Lex Luthor? Rushing to my defence? Wonders will never cease!

“It is,” I told him.

“And contrary to popular belief, Lois,” Lex said, “they are a lot more civilised than some Americans.” He looked pointedly at her and she glared at him.

“At least our natives don’t run around naked doing war dances,” Lois huffed.

“That’s what you think!” I chortled. “Besides, our natives aren’t that much different from your Hawaiians. In fact, the cultures are actually very similar.”

“Well, when I want a lecture,” she began loftily. “Actually, I’ll never want one.”

I just rolled my eyes and grinned at Lex. He smiled back. I was beginning to wonder if the reason he had been so aloof with me the day we met was because he thought I was some kind of threat. Or that he thinks I’m after his money.

I’m hoping, dear Diary, that he has learned that is not the case. For one thing, I’m a business consultant. And I only work with small to medium sized businesses, not major corporations. And two, I’m not interested in him that way. Guys like Lex Luthor aren’t interested in someone like me.

I know, I know. My mom always used to say to me it’s not what’s on the outside, but what is inside that counts. But America seems so full of beautiful people and I feel so ... well, average! I mean, I guess I’m attractive. Sort of medium to dark brown hair, okay figure. I mean, I’m not skinny, but I’m not fat, either. Actually, I’ve kind of lost weight in the last few months. I guess it couldn’t hurt to lose a few pounds.

But I digress. Where was I? Oh yeah. So anyway, I don’t have designs on Lex Luthor. Since I think he’s well ... I’m pretty sure he’s taken. Or if he isn’t now, he soon will be. If I have anything to say about it.

Clark came in while Chloe and I were discussing where to go next and Lex was actually being helpful in offering suggestions. He even gave me the number of a private investigator he used from time to time. And I’m digressing again. So, Clark came in and Lex just lit up like ... well, he glowed. Especially when Clark gave him this huge smile.

“Looks like those two made up,” Chloe commented.

And I’m not surprised in the least to find that she notices as well. Those two are made for each other. If only Lex would just make a move! Do you think I’d be arrested if I kidnapped both of them and locked them in a room together until they admitted how they feel about each other? I mean, to watch them, dear Diary, one would know they’re completely besotted with each other.

But of course, there are issues with the sodomy laws in Kansas. I mean, what a screwed up law it is that doesn’t allow two men, who clearly belong together, to be together? And I thought NZ was conservative. But then again, we do have gay politicians in power, so I guess we’re a little more ahead of the game than Americans.

One day, dear Diary. One day I swear I’m going to see these two together, if I have to tie them together! Call me a matchmaker, or an interfering busybody, but I like Clark. And while Lex blows hot and cold with me, I think he’s good for Clark. And vice versa.

October

Honestly, dear Diary, you’d think Lex and I were related . I mean, there I was, trying to relax in the Talon when he comes in. I was reading the Daily Planet. There was an article there on a book about World War Two and conspiracy theories and Lex was asking me what I thought of it.

Anyway, we started discussing other things and all of a sudden it turns into this huge argument. And god, is he stubborn. He was so sure that his point of view was the right one and so I decided to play devil’s advocate and be contradictory. I love getting a rise out of him.

It’s funny, we both love history. Of course, he’s more into Machiavelli and Alexander the Great. Me, I love Greek mythology and anything to do with the Dark Ages. But I tell you, that man can talk! When he warms to his subject, he really gets into it!

Clark came in while we were arguing and he just looked at us like we were mad! I suppose we were, in a way.

I heard they were fighting again. Mind you, Lex apparently did something really stupid, in my book. He was apparently sleeping with all these women. And it’s funny that all the women were brunette. And if that wasn’t a hint of his true feelings, I don’t know what was.

So, anyway, Lex was accused of murdering one of these poor girls. He was innocent – it turned out to be a stalker who thought Lex slept with her because he loved her. Like, I could have clued you in there, girlfriend.

Anyway, I had occasion to go into the city and discuss some business with Lex not long after that happened. Lex took me to lunch afterwards. We sat there in the restaurant, just chatting and the subject turned to Clark.

“So, is he still acting cool toward you?” I asked Lex.

“Yes, why?”

“Well, can you blame him? After what happened?”

“I can’t change what happened.”

“Why won’t you just admit that you only did it to get his attention,” I told him. “It’s painfully obvious how you feel.”

“It’s none of your business, Callie, and I’ll thank you to stay out of it.”

Wow, talk about hostile! And dear Diary, since then, he has been really cold toward me. I mostly just shrug it off, but geez, I was only trying to help!

Comment

I just read the last two updates and really enjoyed them. It's interesting to read about Clark and Lex in a romantic sense. I like the way you write it. You write it believable.

Comment

Leanne? I LOVE this. Absolutely love it! Great style of writing, and I love that it's coming from a third person's POV.

I heard they were fighting again. Mind you, Lex apparently did something really stupid, in my book. He was apparently sleeping with all these women. And it’s funny that all the women were brunette. And if that wasn’t a hint of his true feelings, I don’t know what was.
              Ooh, great connection! Now it all makes sense...

So, anyway, Lex was accused of murdering one of these poor girls. He was innocent – it turned out to be a stalker who thought Lex slept with her because he loved her. Like, I could have clued you in there, girlfriend.
              Awesome. Awesome! :-D

Please post more soon, babes!

Comment

Originally posted by gem65
                I just read the last two updates and really enjoyed them. It's interesting to read about Clark and Lex in a romantic sense. I like the way you write it. You write it believable.
                Coming from you hon, that's a real compliment.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyDee
                  Leanne? I LOVE this. Absolutely love it! Great style of writing, and I love that it's coming from a third person's POV.
                  Gotta admit, this is quite different from anything I've ever done before but it just sort of snowballed! And I have to say I'm enjoying experimenting with a totally different way of writing.

Ooh, great connection! Now it all makes sense...
                  Of course it does,

Awesome. Awesome! :-D

Please post more soon, babes!
                  Your wish is my command babes. Next update comiin' right up.

Comment

December 26 – 12am

Groan! Dear Diary, I can’t move! It is now officially the day after Christmas and I am so full from Christmas dinner. I seriously think Martha is trying to fatten me up. The Kents invited me over for my first Christmas in Smallville and I had such a fabulous time! They are such incredibly warm, friendly, loving people and when Martha and Jonathan found out I was going to be alone for Christmas they wouldn’t take no for an answer.

But, oooh, so much food!

Let’s see, who else was there? Oh, Chloe and her father, Gabe Sullivan. Such a nice man. The sheriff came by, so did Lana and the assistant coach at Smallville High. Jason something. I don’t trust that guy. I mean, he seems friendly enough, but ... maybe it’s just me. And Clark was kind of cool toward Lana. But he warmed up when Lex came over. Yay, those two are talking again!

I so wanted to sneak out to the barn when they disappeared and eavesdrop on their conversation. I just wish they would do something about the UST because it’s killing me here. I need my smoochies, and if I can’t get it myself I’d rather live vicariously through someone else’s, haha.

Martha kept asking me if I was seeing anyone. Honestly? I don’t even know anyone who would be willing to take me on with all of my dramas. It’s not as if I have time to date anyway, not with my work.

Lex has invited me to a party in Metropolis. He says it will be good for my business, as there are a lot of his business acquaintances attending. Since I’ve kept away from the subject of him and Clark, he has been acting a bit friendlier toward me. Honestly, it’s annoying, sometimes, the way he blows so hot and cold with me. But I’m going. Lex says I can stay at the penthouse since he has an extra room.

You know, dear diary, for all that people say about him, Lex isn’t that bad a guy. In fact, I think he’s pretty cool when he’s not being so arrogant.

Well, must get to bed. I am so tired!

December 29

Dear Diary,

I’ve been crying on and off all day ever since my appointment at the hospital. I don’t want to say too much because if I do I’ll just start crying again. They want to do more tests! I so do not feel like going to this party of Lex’s. But I promised him I’d be there and I always keep my promises.

When I told him I had an appointment in Metropolis, he told me I could use the penthouse. Drive up the day before and stay there until after the New Year’s Eve party. He’s so generous that way. I’m sure he noticed I was upset when he phoned me to make sure I got in okay.

“Are you okay?” he asked, and I took a deep breath.

“I’m fine,” I told him. Could he hear if I’d been crying? I hoped not. Then again, the maid might have heard something and reported it to Lex. That’s why I was always glad I didn’t grow up in that kind of household. We were pretty well off ourselves, but my parents only had someone in to clean twice a week. Mom did all the cooking herself. She loved doing it.

I quickly changed the subject.

“Is Clark coming to the party?”

Lex immediately became defensive.

“Why would Clark come? It’s not a social event. This is business.”

“Geez, Lex, don’t bite my head off. I was just asking. And it’s New Year’s Eve. Nobody will want to talk business on New Year’s Eve.”

“Sorry,” Lex apologised, which surprised me. “Do you think I should have invited him?”

“Lex, a lot of people will be bringing dates to this shindig. So why not?”

“Clark’s my friend. He’s not a ... date.” It sounded as if he almost strangled himself on those words. I just rolled my eyes. Damn it, get the hint, will you?

I had to drop the subject. We talked for a little bit more on trivial stuff then I rang off. For once, we actually had a nice conversation.

The party was exactly as I expected. A lot of people did bring dates. Wives, girlfriends, boyfriends, whatever. One guy I met wants to talk to me about a potential mutual business deal. His name is Oliver Queen. He lives in Star City, but he has a number of business acquaintances in Metropolis and thought I could consult on one of his business interests. I said I’d think about it.

Man, you should have seen the looks that passed between Oliver and Lex. God, if looks could kill. They hate each other! Lex even warned me away from Oliver, telling me he was bad news. Well, I prefer to make my own judgements on that, I told him. He kind of sniffed and didn’t say any more.

I saw Clark walking around as if he was wondering why he was there. Lex pretty much ignored him for most of the night, rude bugger! I kept trying to get them to at least talk to each other, but they wouldn’t co-operate. At least, Lex wouldn’t. Every time I tried to engage them both in conversation, Clark would happily talk to me while Lex would say he was needed elsewhere. I so wanted to beat him with a stick or something.

Anyway, there I was, standing talking to Oliver Queen about something else and in walks this ... wow, I mean, he’s like, holy handsomeness Batman! He is the most amazing ... I mean, Clark would still outshine him in the gorgeousness stakes but he ...

“Callie, I don’t believe you know Bruce Wayne,” Oliver said as the man walked up to us.

“Good evening, Oliver,” Bruce nodded politely. His blue eyes looked over me. I stuck out my hand and he shook it.

“I’m, ah, Callie, er, Callie Shaw. Nice to meet you, Bruce.”

And that was it, dear Diary. I melted like a puddle at the look he gave me and I just shut up, not wanting to embarrass myself. He gave me another odd look and turned away, helping himself to a glass of champagne.

Nice one, Shaw, I told myself.

I so do not need to develop a crush on a potential business acquaintance. Not now. Not after everything ...Thankfully, Clark came to my rescue shortly after, so I didn’t feel so embarrassed. He saw the small exchange between Bruce and myself and came over to see if I needed anything. He’s such a gentleman, is our Clark. I can see why Lex loves him. Even if he tries to deny it. Stubborn man.

Anyway, the party went surprisingly well. By the time of the midnight countdown, everyone was feeling happy and relaxed and even Lex seemed to loosen up a little. And wonder of wonders, Bruce actually did come and talk to me. Seems he heard what I do for a living and he wanted to hire me as a private consultant on one of his side projects. Of course, I said I’d look into it. So it looks like I’ll be going to Gotham in a couple of weeks to talk to Bruce about the project. That and the deal with Oliver, I’m going to be incredibly busy.

I have to organise something as a thank you for Lex. If it wasn’t for him inviting me to this party, I wouldn’t have had so many new contacts. I do wonder, sometimes, if he has other motives in doing me these little favours, but I hope I’m wrong.

Anyway, I think I’ll get a gift basket for him, full of fruit and liqueurs, which I hope he’ll like. I know he likes his scotch, but there’s nothing wrong with liqueurs.

Clark teases me and says I’m too nice for doing stuff like that. But I was brought up to be courteous and I see nothing wrong in actually saying thank you to someone who has done you a favour.

Anyway, I woke up on New Year’s Day with what can only be termed a hangover. And I barely had anything to drink! Just a couple of glasses of champagne.

I stumbled out of bed in the guest suite to find Clark and Lex already up. Clark had, of course, slept in the other guest bedroom of the penthouse. He could see I was hungover and he started making smart comments about people who couldn’t hold their alcohol. I know he was making fun of me, dear Diary, but while I love Clark to bits, I swear I could have throttled him.

Anyway, two shots of double caffeine and I was starting to feel a little more human. Which was saying something! Lex did give me an odd look, but didn’t say anything as he handed me my second cup of strong coffee. I could see concern in his eyes.

Is it me, or is Lex mellowing out a little? He certainly seems to have warmed up to me a lot since the first time we met. But why oh why do I get the feeling there is more to this than meets the eye?

Comment

You know, dear diary, for all that people say about him, Lex isn’t that bad a guy.
                      Preach it, Callie!

I’ve been crying on and off all day ever since my appointment at the hospital. I don’t want to say too much because if I do I’ll just start crying again. They want to do more tests!
                      Yikes! What's all that about? Are we gonna find out? Poor Callie!

Anyway, there I was, standing talking to Oliver Queen about something else and in walks this ... wow, I mean, he’s like, holy handsomeness Batman! He is the most amazing ... I mean, Clark would still outshine him in the gorgeousness stakes but he ...

“Callie, I don’t believe you know Bruce Wayne,” Oliver said as the man walked up to us.
                      Now that made me burst out laughing, I tell ya!

He could see I was hungover and he started making smart comments about people who couldn’t hold their alcohol. I know he was making fun of me, dear Diary, but while I love Clark to bits, I swear I could have throttled him.
                      Me too! It's times like this I wish Clark could get drunk. Ninny!

Great update, honey!

Comment

Originally posted by BabyDee
                        Preach it, Callie!
                        Callie sees a different side of Lex - I guess she has that effect on him. You'll understand why.

Yikes! What's all that about? Are we gonna find out? Poor Callie!
                        Yes, you will find out what that's all about. I'll give you a little hint. What's wrong has something to do with one of her birth parents.

Now that made me burst out laughing, I tell ya!

I guess Callie is the same as everyone else when it comes to seeing gorgeous guys. She's gonna fall hard.

Me too! It's times like this I wish Clark could get drunk. Ninny!

Great update, honey!
                        Why Callie is sick after only two glasses of champagne also has something to do with that hospital appointment. You will understand.

Glad you liked the chapter.

Comment

February

Dear Diary,

Damn, I really hate hospitals. This is even worse than when Mom and Dad died, when they first found the ... ugh, I don’t even want to think about it. I know I have to accept what’s happening and the doctors say they’re doing all they can but why do I feel like a ticking time bomb?

I so have to get on with the search for my birth father now. I don’t dare tell Chloe why it’s so important. She did manage to find some medical records on my birth mother, and no news there. It didn’t come from her.

On a more positive note, Bruce Wayne turned out to be an excellent contact. And he is so not what people say he is. I mean, he does have this image of being a playboy, but it’s not at all who he is. We’ve gotten to know each other pretty well over the last month and he confessed to me that he projects that image on purpose because he’s already lost so much. His parents and everything. I know he’s involved in some kind of secret project but he won’t tell me what it is.

But I so know how he feels. Especially now. Anyway, we talk a lot on the phone and we’re becoming pretty good friends, I think. I mean, yeah, I still get butterflies when I see him. And that’s a good thing. He’s the first man I’ve had feelings for in a long time. But I can’t do anything about it, not now.

How are things going on the Clark and Lex front? Hmm, don’t ask! Honestly, those two. One minute they’re best friends, the next they’re fighting. I can’t keep up. But Lex has been so great toward me lately. Like the other day, I had an appointment at the hospital and my car broke down on the highway.

I wanted to scream in frustration. An hour out of Smallville and the car, the brand new car I bought when I first came here, decided to break down. I pulled up the hood and looked in the engine but I have no clue about cars. I checked the connections but nothing. I must have mucked around for ten minutes before I tried calling someone on my cellphone. But what do you know? No reception. Why did I decide to live in Smallville?

A car sped past, then screeched to a stop just ahead. I kept working on the engine, ignoring the sound of footsteps crunching in the gravel. But then I heard Lex’s voice.

“Callie?”

I turned. Yep, it was him all right. I just scowled at him.

“Are you all right?” he asked.

“Of course I’m not all right. I’m on the side of the freaking highway with the hood of my car up trying to figure out why the stupid car won’t go. Dumb question!”

He lifted his hands in mock surrender.

“Hey, just asking.” He smirked. I so wanted to slap the putz around the face. But then I realised he was trying to be helpful.

“I’m sorry,” I said. “It’s just, I’ve got an important appointment in the city and I can’t miss it. I don’t know what’s wrong with the car.”

“Let me see,” he offered.

“What do you know about cars?”

He gave me a sheepish kind of grin. “Not a lot,” he admitted. “I usually have a personal mechanic take care of things like this.”

Suddenly I found myself laughing at the ludicrousness of the situation, and he started laughing too. Damn, he’s got a nice laugh. He should do it more often.

When we stopped laughing, he offered me a ride to the city.

“If it’s out of your way ...” I began.

He shook his head. “I’m going to the city anyway.”

I sent him a dubious look. “Okay, but tell me this, how many speeding tickets have you had the last month?”

I’ve heard about the way he drives! He looked at me, then chuckled.

“None, actually!”

“Why? Because you’re smart enough not to get caught or you’ve actually been driving at a civilised speed?”

“Define civilised,” he laughed.

“Brat!” I returned and he just laughed harder. I love making him laugh. I think Clark and I are the only ones who can make him laugh.

So, on the way, the subject inevitably turned to Clark. Lex tried to change the subject but I was unrelenting.

“Why don’t you just tell him how you feel?”

“It’s not that simple Callie.”

“You don’t need to make it this complicated. What’s the worst he can say? No?”

“Clark has a lot of secrets.”

“Well, so do you, Lex. The thing is, you have to think about what’s worth more to you. Clark’s love or his secrets? Believe me, if there’s one thing I do know, it’s that you can’t waste time thinking about what ifs. If you care about someone, you should show it. The secrets can come later.”

“You don’t know the whole story.”

“Yeah, but do I have to? Look, I know you care about him. Clark is never going to trust you until you start trusting him! Forget the secrets. I mean, it’s obviously what drove you apart last spring. And I heard all about that from Jonathan. He told me you were investigating Clark for three years. I’m not going to go into the wrongness of that, Lex. You know in your heart what you did was wrong. And yes, Clark needs to learn to trust you, tell you the truth. But it works both ways Lex. Trust has to be earned.”

Lex was silent for a moment as he drove. But then he looked at me.

“Who are you to lecture me about my love life? I haven’t seen you date anyone since you came to Smallville.”

“This isn’t about me. And my situation is a little different.”

“How is it different?”

“It just is! Besides, no one would want me with my dramas. I mean, look at me, I’m not exactly supermodel material. What guy in his right mind would want to date me anyway? I’m just a simple kid from down under, despite the fact I was born here. I mean, people hear the accent and they get that expression like Lois did when she first heard it. Like I’m from a backwards country.”

“That’s not how it is,” Lex argued. “You’re completely misreading them.”

“Maybe,” I admitted. “But it doesn’t change anything.”

“You don’t get it. Callie, you’re a beautiful woman, you just don’t see it. Hell, if you weren’t ... I mean, if we ...”

Was Lex blushing?

“If I didn’t love Clark, I’d date you,” he finished lamely.

And all I can think dear Diary is ... what does he know that I don’t?

Anyway, I had my appointment at the hospital and the news is not good. After all the tests they did last month, they’ve come up with a timeframe. I have to be so careful I don’t get sick. Even a cold could be disastrous.

I don’t dare tell anyone in Smallville. It’s not the ‘small town’ thing. It’s just, I’m only just getting used to the idea myself. And I always thought I’d have a little more time. And everyone has been so nice to me. I’d hate to hurt them by telling them this. So I’ve decided to just keep quiet about it. If the doctors manage to find a donor, all good. If they don’t, well, I’ll just slip away quietly.

The only person I told is Bruce. And the only reason I told him was because he noticed my pallor, and asked me straight out if I was sick. But he’s promised to keep it quiet. And he’s also promised he’s going to do everything he can to get me some help. Even if he has to have someone fly around the world for it. I told him he didn’t have to do that.

I’m really attracted to him. I know he doesn’t return my feelings, but still ... I mean, he hasn’t said so, but he’s kind of stoic that way and I guess because of everything I’m going through, he doesn’t want to hurt me with the truth.

Ooh, I must tell you this. I met Lionel Luthor the other day. And all I can tell you about that meeting is it was surreal! He came into the Talon, which was apparently very unusual for him. I don’t know if he was looking for Lex or what but anyway, he came in just as I was going out and I got this, I don’t know, chill, I guess.

He is a very odd man. I still don’t know how his conviction got overturned. Anyway, he gives me this odd look and I swear there was something very familiar about him. I mean, I’ve seen photographs, but he’s different in person. And his personality is a lot bigger than what comes through the media.

He didn’t say anything to me, but the whole coffee shop went deadly quiet. And the place was crowded! They were having some sort of karaoke night. And that sort of brought a bad taste to my mouth anyway. I mean, a little while ago, they had a karaoke night and this girl, Alicia turned up. There were some attacks, on Lana and Jason, of all people. Anyway, not long after that, Alicia was murdered.

Clark was dating her, sort of. I just know he was doing it to get back at Lex for something he’d done. And the thing is, he ran off and married the girl in some quickie ceremony in Las Vegas. It wasn’t legal, so it was quickly overturned, but man, was Lex mad! So were Clark’s parents.

Rumour has it Alicia was some sort of meteor mutant and she bamboozled Clark into it. Or something like that. Martha was so upset over it. Just the weirdness that is Smallville, I guess. Tell me again why I’m living in this town?

But I digress. I was talking about Lionel Luthor. So, yeah, he gives me the heebie jeebies. And I wish I knew what it was about him that felt so familiar. It’s driving me crazy!

Comment

July 2005

Oh man, dear Diary, it has been nearly five months since I last did an entry. So much has happened. I had to go back home because my uncle decided to take me to court. He claimed I didn’t deserve the inheritance because I was not my parents’ biological child! What a putz! The docs told me I shouldn’t be flying, but I didn’t have much choice, did I?

Anyway, I managed to prove to the court that I did deserve the inheritance and that my uncle, who’s an alcoholic, didn’t. My Dad and him had a parting of the ways a long time ago.

So, I get back to Smallville and I find things have been really chaotic. There was a second meteor shower and people were reporting aliens had come. And oh my god, Lana Lang is dead! She was apparently killed when a helicopter she was in was hit by a meteor and it crashed. The pilot didn’t survive either.

Lex called and asked to see me as soon as I got back. I told him to give me a couple of days, because I was so jet-lagged. And he said fine. He was pretty short with me and I wondered what I’d done.

Anyway, I get to the mansion and he’s there waiting for me. So is Clark. They look as if they’re together and I’m dying to ask but they just look at me, then Clark looks away and I wonder what that’s all about.

“Sit down, Callie. I think it’s time we got things out in the open.”

“Got what out in the open?”

“We know about your illness Callie,” Clark said, looking back at me. His green eyes were huge and almost accusing.

My body just went cold. I just stared back at him.

“Why didn’t you say something?”

“Because it’s not your concern,” I told him, a little more harshly than I meant.

“I thought we were friends,” he said, sounding a little hurt.

“Clark ...” Lex said softly, before I could say anything. “Let her explain.”

“Explain what?” I asked. “Since when do I owe you an explanation? So what if I’m sick. It’s nothing to do with you.”

I knew I was sounding a little too defensive, but Lex had obviously invaded my privacy.

“You have no right to go prying into my private life, Lex. If I’d wanted you to know, I would have told you.”

“I think we have a right to know you’re dying!” Clark spoke up.

“Clark!” Lex said warningly.

“No, Lex. She’s my friend and I can’t just sit back and do nothing!”

“Clark, this isn’t something you can fix. Even with all that you can do.”

I saw the look between them and I knew without a doubt that they were together. So maybe my meddling had done some good after all. Lex had clearly confessed all to Clark, and Clark had done the same. It was obvious that Lex knew Clark’s secrets.

“How long have you known?” I asked Lex.

“Since February.”

“So you invaded my privacy?”

“We wanted to wait for you to tell us, but it was pretty obvious you weren’t going to. Did you think we wouldn’t notice you getting sick?”

“I thought I had more time,” I said quietly.

“We all know that’s not going to happen,” Lex said quietly and it hurt to have it painted in black and white for all to see. I was running out of time and he knew it.

“I know they say it’s not curable, but liver disease doesn’t have to be a death sentence. There are things doctors can do,” he said.

“You’re talking about a transplant, Lex. And that’s all well and good, but it still needs to be a match or else my body will reject it, and then we’ll be back to square one.”

“There’s still a chance you can find a donor.”

“We both know how difficult it is.”

Clark was silent as Lex began pointing out some of the possibilities.

“There’s one other chance,” he told me. “A partial transplant. The liver is the most resilient organ in the body. It can take a partial transplant.”

“And where are they going to find a suitable donor, Lex? I don’t know anyone who would go through that for me.”

“What if we could,” Clark said. “What if there was a donor, right here in Smallville.”

“You’re not doing it Clark. You can’t.”

Clark looked at Lex, his green eyes steady. “I wasn’t talking about me,” he said softly.

“That was going to be my suggestion,” Lex said.

“What are you talking about?” I asked.

“I’m talking about me, Callie. Donating part of my liver.”

“How? I mean, we’d have to be compatible.”

“It wouldn’t be a problem,” Lex said. “I’ve already consulted with doctors. Given our genetics, it’s as close as we’re going to get.”

I frowned. What did he mean by that?

“What do you mean, our genetics?”

Lex looked at me for a long moment, almost holding his breath.

“You really don’t know, do you? I suspected, but I wasn’t a hundred percent certain.”

“Know what?”

“You’re my sister, Callie.”

I felt the colour – what remained of it – drain from my face.

“That’s impossible,” I whispered.

Lex got up from the couch where he had been sitting with Clark and came to sit beside me.

“Callie, think about it. We’re a lot alike. We’re both exceptionally intelligent people ...”

“If you do say so yourself,” I said dryly, which he pointedly ignored.

“There is a small physical resemblance.,” he continued.

“And she looks like Lionel,” Clark pointed out.

“What?”

“I saw it when I first met you,” Clark reminded me. “Only, I didn’t put the pieces together until Lex showed me photos of his Dad when he was younger, and didn’t have a beard. You look a lot like him.”

I shook my head. “This is unreal!”

“I thought you knew, Callie. I mean, I knew you were doing research into your birth family and I thought you might have found out about it and not told me. It wasn’t until the day your car broke down that I realised you didn’t know.”

“So that’s what that crack was all about? What you said in the car? That if we weren’t ... You meant if we weren’t related, didn’t you? I thought it sounded funny.”

“You remember that?”

“I have a photographic memory, Lex.” And I knew he did too!

Oh god, dear Diary, now I understand a lot of things. Why we argue like crazy, and why we ...Oh my god, Lex is my brother!

“Why didn’t you tell me? You’ve known all this time and you could have told me the truth!”

“I didn’t know how you would feel about it.”

“So you go behind my back and do tests on my blood without my knowledge. How could you do that, Lex?”

“I’m sorry, Callie, at the time, I thought you knew and you were just hiding it from us.”

“Did it ever occur to you that I might have actually come to you and told you? You know, I wondered why you started being so ‘nice’ to me. Inviting me to the party, giving me all those business contacts. What were you hoping for, Lex? Were you trying to butter me up or something?”

“Callie ...”

“No, Clark. Look, I get it okay? This is not your fault. I’m sure you would have stopped Lex if you’d known then. But he just can’t help himself. He’s been investigating me the moment I came to town because he just can’t stand the thought that someone might show him up for the ******* jerk he is.” I turned and left.

I couldn’t handle it. I had to leave. It was just too much. And the fact that he’d known for months and hadn’t said anything. Well, I kind of got the impression he had thought that maybe I was staying quiet because I had an ulterior motive. And he was afraid that maybe I’d try and claim for my piece of Luthorcorp. I mean, as Lionel’s biological child, I suppose I would be entitled. But I don’t want any of it! Besides, it’s not like I can take it with me.

What Lex doesn’t get is how much he has hurt me by this. He knew I was trying to find my birth family. He knew I needed to know the truth. Even if he didn’t know why. But I’ve known about this disease since the accident. When I was in the hospital, recovering from the crash, they found something in my blood tests. That’s when they told me that I had liver disease. They said I might live for years without any problems, or I could go down just like that. Well, they were right about that.

Of course, they started asking all kinds of questions about my family, which I couldn’t answer, and I realised it’s genetic. One of my biological parents passed it on to me.

I was so upset, I just found myself driving and before I knew it, I was in Gotham. It seems that everything leads me to Bruce. When I got to the manor, Alfred informed me kind of stiffly that Bruce wasn’t available. But of course, once he’d seen how upset I was he let me in to the kitchen and made hot chocolate.

Alfred is such a nice man. He just listened while I poured out my troubles. Didn’t offer advice, just let me talk. By the time I was done talking, Bruce had come in from wherever he’d been. He didn’t say anything, just held me. And oh, it was so wonderful being in his arms! Of course, then he sat me down and told me Lex had called him and was now on his way to Gotham.

It was pretty late by this time and I was exhausted. My head was aching and I felt hot and achy. Bruce had Alfred prepare a room for me and I went to bed without seeing Lex. And that’s where I am right now, writing this entry, dear Diary. As I lay here, I can hear Bruce and Lex talking quietly in the corridor. Bruce is telling Lex to just leave it until the morning.

I’m so tired. And I feel like I’m getting the flu or something. It must be the extreme changes in temperature. It was really cold back home and it’s really hot here. It’s too hot. Oh well, I’m sure a good night’s sleep will help. ‘Night.

Comment

August 20, 2005

Dear Diary,

It’s been a month. I’m still pretty tired but the doctors say I’m doing really well and I can go home soon. Lex has suggested I move into the mansion. He wants to keep an eye on me, I guess. Well, it’s understandable, I suppose, since part of him is in me now.

Anyway, I think I’ll let Clark explain what happened.

Clark’s entry, July 2005

Oh my god, I couldn’t wake Callie. I went into the room she was using and she wouldn’t wake up. She was feeling kind of hot and clammy and I didn’t know what else to do. She wouldn’t respond when I shook her. Bruce and Lex had been up for hours and they were getting kind of worried, so I volunteered to go check. But then, I saw her like that. So I yelled for Bruce and Lex and they came running.

Lex immediately ordered Bruce to call an ambulance, but he was already ahead of Lex. He had run out and got Alfred and they called the paramedics.

As we waited for what seemed like hours, I took Lex into my arms and tried to comfort him. He was visibly shaken and looked so devastated.

“It’s my fault,” he said. “I should have told her months ago. We could have prevented this.”

“You didn’t see this coming Lex,” I whispered reassuringly. “You couldn’t have known.”

“But if I’d told her what I knew ... god, Clark, if she dies ...”

“She won’t,” I told him, although I wasn’t really sure myself. “She’s got you on her side. And me.”

But when the paramedics arrived, I knew it was bad. I called my mom in Smallville and told her what had happened. Mom told me she would pray that Callie would be okay. Everyone in Smallville loves Callie. Even Lois has warmed up to her, which is saying something. We’ve all noticed how sick Callie’s been getting, but we didn’t want to say anything unless she said it first. Callie’s a nice lady even if she is kind of a private person. I mean, I can understand why now.

We drove to the hospital in Bruce’s limo. Lex was too upset to drive and Bruce – well, Bruce seems kind of stoic, but I could see he was upset too. I know Callie likes him a lot, and I think it’s mutual. Just from the stiff way he sat, opening and closing his fist on his knee like he did.

Anyway, Lex had called in a team of specialists. No expense spared for his sister. They met us at the hospital, then left us in the private waiting area while they went to see Callie.

Dr Fordman came out a short time later. Hmm, I wonder if he’s related to Whitney’s folks? But I digress.

“It’s not looking good,” he told us. “Her immunity is negligible, and her white cell count ... Has she been under stress lately?”

Bruce nodded.

“She had to fly to New Zealand recently to deal with some legal issues. Plus she got some news yesterday that upset her,” he added, giving Lex a stern look.

The doctor nodded.

“I see. Well, I hate to say it, but that may have accelerated things.”

“Is she going to die?” I asked.

The man looked at me soberly. “Yes, son, I’m afraid she is. Unless we can find a donor in time.”

“How long?” Lex asked. “Are we talking days? Weeks?”

“I’m sorry, Mr Luthor, but Miss Shaw’s liver is deteriorating rapidly. If we don’t find a donor within the next forty-eight hours, it will be too late.”

“What about the partial transplant we discussed. I’ve done the tests. I’m compatible.”

“It’s a risk,” Dr Fordman said. “But if it’s something you’re willing to take ...?”

“She’s my sister,” Lex nodded. “I’ll do anything to help her.”

“Fine. I’ll get the paperwork drawn up and we’ll have you both in surgery tonight.”

So they didn’t waste any time. We spent the next few hours beside Callie’s bed. She looked so yellow against the whiteness of the sheets. Lex held her hand and whispered quietly to her. I deliberately tuned out. This was a private moment for him.

He still blamed himself, I could see that. I know Lex has had ulterior motives in the past. But it seems like since we got together, like really got together, he has changed a lot. I’d like to think it’s my influence, but I think it’s Callie too. From what I hear, she’s the one who’s been telling Lex to tell me about his true feelings. God, I hope she’ll be okay. I hope we’re not too late.

Lex didn’t dare tell Lionel the truth about Callie. Not after all those experiments Lionel was doing on liver disease. And using my blood to do it. I did kind of suggest that to Lex but he told me firmly he wasn’t going to risk that. From what he’s read on the experiments it would only give Callie half a life.

He was so upset after she ran out yesterday. Callie was right. He did invade her privacy. And I told him off about it when I found out. Heck, we almost broke up over it and we’d only just got together. But I can’t be mad at him. He’s been so confused over the whole thing because he really likes Callie, and part of him still can’t believe that someone can be so open and honest like Callie is. I mean, even I’ve lied to him, especially about my powers. But that’s neither here nor there. We need to be strong for Callie.

Before I knew it, it was time for the surgery. Lex turned and looked at me.

“I love you,” he told me softly. “Clark, if anything ... if I ...”

“You’ll make it,” I whispered. “You both will.”

He nodded, then left the room to allow the orderlies to take Callie out. I followed along until Lex went into surgery.

“Lex?” I said as he paused at the point of no return. He looked at me. “I love you too.”

Bruce and I sat in the private waiting area. He kept pacing back and forth and I just knew he had feelings for Callie as well.

“You really like her, don’t you?” I said.

Bruce looked up at me, surprise on his face.

“Sorry,” I said and he just gave me a half smile. “I mean, I know how Callie feels about you but she’s always thought you didn’t feel the same way.”

“I do. I just never told her.”

I knew what he was thinking. That it was too late. And he was mad at himself for not telling her.

“Callie is a very special woman,” Bruce said softly.

“I know.”

We fell silent after that. I got restless and went to get a soda. By the time I got back, Dr Fordman had come in. He looked up when I entered.

“Good. You’re both here. The surgery went well, but we won’t know if it was a complete success for a few days. Lex is fine,” he added at my questioning look. “He’s in recovery and will be awake shortly. You’ll be able to see him then.”

“What about Callie?”

“She’s in ICU. I can let one of you see her for a minute, but only a minute. We’ve had to put her in a medically-induced coma for a couple of days, just to give her body time to adjust.”

“You go, Bruce,” I said. I figured he needed to be with her more than I did right now.

Meanwhile, I went to see Lex. He was awake and sitting up by the time I got to the room and he smiled at me. I sat on the bed.

“Are you okay?” I asked.

“A bit sore, but that’s to be expected. How’s Callie?”

I told him what the doctor said and he nodded. We sat there talking for a long time until the nurse shooed me out.

The next few days we stayed with Bruce at the manor, going back and forth to the hospital. Callie was brought out of the coma after a couple of days and it already seemed like she was getting her colour back. She was weak and tired when we walked in the first day, but she smiled at us and I knew it was going to be okay.

When she finally could sit up long enough, she asked to speak to Lex alone.

“It’s okay Clark,” Lex said softly.

He told me later that Callie just told him how grateful she was that he’d done what he did. She accepted his apology for not telling her the truth sooner and that he’d done what he had to do. But that didn’t mean he was completely off the hook and he knew that.

Lex knows he has a lot of work to do to rebuild their relationship. But if I know Lex, he will walk over hot coals to make it up to her. He’s that stubborn. Come to think of it, so is Callie. Wow, they really are a lot alike!

End of Clark’s entry.

So, there you go, dear Diary. That’s what happened, from Clark’s point of view, anyway. Me, well, I’ve kind of been too tired to write and Lex wouldn’t let me anyway. He’s become quite bossy. But I kind of like it. I just tease him and call him ‘little brother’ and he starts to get all huffy. Clark just laughs at us.

Lex got me transferred to Met Gen as soon as I was able to be moved, which annoyed Bruce a little. But Lex is my brother, what am I going to do? It’s not like I was in a position to say no, was I? Don’t worry, though, I’ll get him back when I’m feeling fit.

(About thirty minutes later)

The doctor just came in. I’m going home, I’m going home! Ugh, that means I’ll have to stay in that drafty old castle that Lex calls home. Oh well.

It’s kind of cool having a little brother. Even if he is taller than me. Hey, I might have inherited the Luthor genes when it comes to looks and everything else, but my height is apparently all my mother. She was all of like five foot one, so I kind of got somewhere in between. And boy, does Lex tease me about that!

I can’t wait to be back in Smallville. With my family. Oh my god, I have a family!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎