Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Clark have the right to save people?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Clark have the right to save people?

I thought about this the first time I saw the episode, then again when I watched the rerun last night, then again when I was posting in another thread. Now, I don't exactly mean does he have the right to save people in a burning building, or stuff like that. ... Or maybe I do. I'll get to that later. But first:

Clark saved a prison bus full of criminals. One of those criminals escaped and ended up killing John Corben's sister. As John said, "What gives [Clark] the right to change [people's] fate?" What if those criminals were meant to die, but Clark messed with fate, which caused someone else's death. Or did he change fate? Maybe the guy who killed John's sister would have survived the crash and escaped anyway.

But let's just think about it. Should Clark discriminate with who he saves? He saved Lex several times, even after he knew he was a bad guy, which allowed Lex to kill several people (Patricia Swan and Lionel to name just a couple). If Clark had allowed Lex to die, then Patricia, Lionel, and several others would have lived. If Clark had allowed the prison bus to crash, then John Corben's sister probably wouldn't have been murdered. And who knows what those other criminals still might do.

On another note, should Clark be allowed to save anyone at all? I'm not saying I don't think he should, I'm just posing the question. If there is a burning building with people trapped inside, should Clark be allowed to save them? If there are no fire fighters to help, then maybe yes. Maybe he was meant to be there. But what if there are already fire fighters there? What if those fire fighters, on their own, could save some of the people, but not all? Were those people then meant to die? My point here is, if we take Clark out of the equation, is there someone else there to save people, or attempt to save them? If those people are there, are they meant to save the people they save and only the people they save? Because if Clark was there, he could save all of them (if it was the burning building scenario). Is anyone saved by Clark MEANT to have been saved? Is he changing fate in a good way by saving people, still having things the way they SHOULD be? Or is he messing with fate, messing with the grand design, and changing things in a way that they weren't meant to be changed?

Maybe I shouldn't bring up God, and I don't necessarily believe in God myself, but I'll bring it up anyway. Going back to the prison bus. What if it was God's plan for that bus to crash and all the prisoners to be killed as a way to stop those sinners from harming anyone else? Then Clark comes in and changes that by saving them. Or is Clark a part of God's plan?

Here's another part of that, with mention of something above I'm not sure I said clearly. God created humans (again, not saying I believe or this is the only option, just saying it for theory sake), who are mortals. Now, mortals can only save people they have the ability to save. Burning building scenario again: A fire fighter is able to save some people from the building, but not all. It was only in his ability to save some, so in a way that says that the other people were meant to die, that's the way fate planned it. But let's say Clark shows up at this building where fire fighters are already trying to save people. Clark, not being mortal, has the ability to save all of them. So is he meant to save all of them? I believe that if he shows up at a burning building where there are no fire fighters trying to save people, then he is meant to save everyone. If he does not show up at a burning building where there are fire fighters and those fire fighters save some, but not all, then maybe the ones that died were meant to. But if Clark shows up at a burning building where there are fire fighters saving people... is Clark then interfering and messing with fate?

I have a lot of talk about fate here. Maybe there isn't any such thing as fate and things just happen. So Clark saving people doesn't change anything, because there was no fate set in stone for those people, or the people they affect, in the first place. However, Smallville/Superman and the word "destiny/fate" kind of go hand in hand.

I'm not sure I made much sense, and I may have just rambled on about nothing, and it may be unanswerable, but I think it's an interesting topic to think about and discuss. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Nerf; 12-05-2009, 02:07 PM.

I think Clark and Chloe discussed this issue in season 6. But personally, I think what is supposed to happen happens. John isn't certain that the people on that bus wouldn't have been saved without Clark. I believe John just wanted to blame someone because he was hurt that his sister was murdered. Clark just saved people. He did not know they were criminals. And even thought they were, who can say that they won't repent for their crimes, turn around their lives and do good somewhere in their lives?

Comment

Everything that happens, happens the way it was suppose to

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎