Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Idol" plotholes and mistakes

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I suppose Lois' claim to "know the Blur" didn't come without any repercussions. I mean, the DA did try to kill her -- she probably just got off because the gov't looks bad enough with the District Attorney attempting murder on her.

...As for the PC. I don't know. If it was a laptop, I'd guess that the battery saved her settings, but then she would have been able to use it. Hmm. I don't know. I hadn't thought about it much, but now that you mention it, it is kind of odd that the computer didn't ask for a log in name and password.
    Last edited by smallvillerocks45; 11-16-2009, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Maybe Lois stating she knows the blur will come back again when [SPOILER]Amanda Waller is introduced she does work for the government.[/SPOILER]

Comment

she didn't actually say she knew who he really was to anyone else besides Clark... just that she knew him, so depending on how u take it, could mean "his secret identity" or "the blur himself." So when she said she "knew him" i took it as, "i know him like, thru talking and phone conversations." not that she knew his identity.

And government officials or w/e would prly just think she was lying, so its easily swept away w/ out any consequences. And with her father being a General, I'm not sure they'd just pull her in anyways. So she's got that on her side.

And the writers didn't put themselves into a corner. How many times throughout the comics does Lois think that Clark is Superman, only to be thrown off the trail? Many, many times. She always has a suspicion but that's to be expected. Perhaps what her therapist said was right. "what is more likely? that the mystery man and clark are the same person, or you're trying to create you're perfect man?" or something to that effect. its called projecting, if anyone is taking notes lol. you see something in people that you want to see sometimes. And that's exactly what she does, but in this case it just so happens that they are the same person

Comment

Originally posted by I_am_LEX
          she didn't actually say she knew who he really was to anyone else besides Clark... just that she knew him, so depending on how u take it, could mean "his secret identity" or "the blur himself." So when she said she "knew him" i took it as, "i know him like, thru talking and phone conversations." not that she knew his identity.

And government officials or w/e would prly just think she was lying, so its easily swept away w/ out any consequences. And with her father being a General, I'm not sure they'd just pull her in anyways. So she's got that on her side.

And the writers didn't put themselves into a corner. How many times throughout the comics does Lois think that Clark is Superman, only to be thrown off the trail? Many, many times. She always has a suspicion but that's to be expected. Perhaps what her therapist said was right. "what is more likely? that the mystery man and clark are the same person, or you're trying to create you're perfect man?" or something to that effect. its called projecting, if anyone is taking notes lol. you see something in people that you want to see sometimes. And that's exactly what she does, but in this case it just so happens that they are the same person
          She flat out said she knew who the Blur was. Why would anyone listening to her think she was talking about phone calls?

It doesn't matter if they thought she was lying, they would still look into it. Her father being a General means nothing.

What does Lois thinking Clark being Superman have to do with the her telling the world she knows who the Blur is? That has nothing to do with anything.

I'm sorry your argument doesn't hold up. The fact that she said she knows who the Blur means the cops, government, and other reports would investigate. The only reason no will look into it is because of bad writing.

Comment

I don't really care about the whole computer thing. For one thing, when it comes to high tech, SV kinda went OTT. Take Chloe's skill in computer, for instant... I don't think that's even possible in real life. So, I just take the tech is VERY VERY advance in compare to the current one we're having.

Regarding the issue about the fact that Lois knows the Blur. She never said she knew his secret identity. She only states that she knows him. Blur did have confide in Lois before...

Comment

Daily Planet is the paper of record...whoever planned the power for their building does not believe in paying for UPS power for the entire building...or for users...techies would know that...still, even the back up power would be a problem after a day...so no big deal here.

As for the PC tower, the first thing you would see when the power was restored is a blank screen. Standard PC towers will power down, and will have to be physically powered back up again and go through boot up. Laptop can stay on battery for awhile, though she would have been able to use it and not needed to fish out a typewriter.

Nothing will last for a day on battery power. UPS under the desk is meant to give you time to save work...that's it. Laptop battery is for use where there is no outlet, and at that point, you have about two hours or so.

Still, I didn't really care...this was not an egregious error..."Mega-gigs of Luthorcorp RAM" was egregious, as was "downloading data from a powered off router"...those were pathetic

Comment

Originally posted by ClubXerxes
                Daily Planet is the paper of record...whoever planned the power for their building does not believe in paying for UPS power for the entire building...or for users...techies would know that...still, even the back up power would be a problem after a day...so no big deal here.

As for the PC tower, the first thing you would see when the power was restored is a blank screen. Standard PC towers will power down, and will have to be physically powered back up again and go through boot up. Laptop can stay on battery for awhile, though she would have been able to use it and not needed to fish out a typewriter.

Nothing will last for a day on battery power. UPS under the desk is meant to give you time to save work...that's it. Laptop battery is for use where there is no outlet, and at that point, you have about two hours or so.

Still, I didn't really care...this was not an egregious error..."Mega-gigs of Luthorcorp RAM" was egregious, as was "downloading data from a powered off router"...those were pathetic
                "Egregious" is a good word. Season 9 does not have the egregious plotholes of seasons 7 and 8. Those used to drive me crazy.

The only "plothole" if you can call it that is why does Clark feel the need to keep Lois in the dark when everyone else knows his secret? If he loves her as much as it seems like he does, he cannot keep lying to her.

Comment

One thing I still don't understand is if Chloe has all this information at her fingertips how come she doesn't know more about what's going on. She could've easily had seen how corrupt the DA was long ago and stopped him. She could've seen Lois get thrown off the building and told Clark. I guess it could be chalked up that she has so much information that it's hard for her to pickup on one thing but, I still think with all the power she has she would be capable of more and have a lot more information. Such as calling Clark if she sees someone getting mugged or something like that.

Comment

Like people have already said, she didn't say she knew who he actually was, just that she knew him. And after all, she is the only one who has talked to the Blur and has written stories based on her conversations with him, so the fact that she knows him shouldn't be a big surprise to anyone.

Comment

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the director wasn't going to make us sit through the boot process and waste 5 minutes of screen time. Movie computers will never equate to real hardware. If we can willingly suspend disbelief that an alien looks like humans and has superpowers, we can accept an instantaneous boot of a computer in the same world as the super-powered alien.

Wireless downloads from a powered off device is off the page though and utter nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by MildMannered
                        If Lois REALLY likes the Blur and is so upset that he hasn't called her back in so long...why didn't she make the effort to call him back?? lol The Blur is obviously stored in her cell phone...he comes up on caller ID and has special ringtone when he calls. Their relationship is already based on phone conversation...just call him back! I'm just saying Lois LMAO!!
                        One could guess that Clark has a cell phone only to Call Lois as "the Blur" and that he only turns it on when is going to call Lois since he doesn't use that cell phone to anything else and he doesn't want he phone ringing in when Lois is with him. How could he explain that to Lois?

So even if Lois calls him (and I think she wouldn't due to her pride) she wouldn't get an answer.
                        Last edited by celita; 11-17-2009, 01:23 PM.

Comment

First off Lois saying "I know the blur" doesn't mean that she knows who his identity is. Here is a good comparison, whenever a popular celebrity finds themselves in some form of trouble a lot of loyal fans will be all like this is slander. "I know them" they would never do anything to hurt their fans, and what not. Because someone says I know them it doesn't mean they hang out and drink coffee every tuesday. It can also mean that you know what they stand for, I know the blur and he stands for truth, justice, and other stuff. He would never intentionally harm the citizens of Metropolis, he is here to give us hope, to protect us. That is what Lois meant when she says I know him, at least if I were in that crowd having no knowledge of the blur or clark kent or anything, I would just assume that is how she meant it.

As for the Blur being on her caller ID I can explain that. Look at the technology we have available at a consumer level. With AIM we can forward all our IMS to our mobile phones, but all the people sending the message see is our AIM screen names not the phone number they are going to. The same can be said with skype. Skype has a function to allow calls to be forwarded or rerouted from the skype number to your mobile phone. As far as the people calling go they only see the skype number, not the phone number you are forwarding to. And finally with the internet sometimes you can have a ridiculously long url for your website that no one in the right mind would ever remember or even want to type out every time they wanted to go, that is why certain websites offer a rerouting service. People type in the simplified address and it reroutes them to your page, but the person only ever sees the simple address and not the complicated url unless they really do some digging. That is all available to the average Joe Schmoe anywhere nowadays.

Now take that simple technology we have available and how much we pay for such things, then take a multi-billion dollar industry with secret research and development projects, and said technology is then installed for a certain blonde haired girl in a watchtower, and you have a complicated and effective way of masking a phone number and rerouting it in such a way that it is not traceable. When someone calls this number, hoping to call the blur, the blonde haired girl and her technology kindly forwards her to an out of service message and vola, that is how she has the blurs number in her phone and why she wasn't able to call him herself.

I am a firm believer in the idea that a show doesn't need to explain every piece of technology they use, such precious time should be better spent on more important things like the story of Clark Kent becoming superman, I wouldn't want 10 minutes to be wasted so Chloe can explain how her complicated software works and why Lois could have the blurs number in her phone but be unable to call him herself. I think Doctor Who does it best, he talks superfast saying some complicated techno babble and I accept that as a good enough answer to explain most things in the world of Doctor Who. The best example of this is his Sonic Screwdriver. It can pretty much do anything you need it to do, but when people ask what it is, all he says is simply that it is a sonic screwdriver, and sometimes he even just says screwdriver. If they wasted precious time explaining every possilble application and technological use of the sonic screwdriver it would take far too long. That is why I believe when it comes to technology in science fiction shows it is better to apply the KISS principle of keep it simple stupid.
                          Last edited by Drakaun; 11-17-2009, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Jor-El
                            Anyone else find it odd that no sooner did the power come on and Lois' computer screen is at that desktop/wallpaper? I mean, wouldn't the thing had to have booted for a few minutes/moments? And if it was in sleep mode...uh, battery power could have kept her from resulting to the Loyal Royal....
                            UPS + hibernate mode + hybrid hard drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Drakaun
                              First off Lois saying "I know the blur" doesn't mean that she knows who his identity is. Here is a good comparison, whenever a popular celebrity finds themselves in some form of trouble a lot of loyal fans will be all like this is slander. "I know them" they would never do anything to hurt their fans, and what not. Because someone says I know them it doesn't mean they hang out and drink coffee every tuesday. It can also mean that you know what they stand for, I know the blur and he stands for truth, justice, and other stuff. He would never intentionally harm the citizens of Metropolis, he is here to give us hope, to protect us. That is what Lois meant when she says I know him, at least if I were in that crowd having no knowledge of the blur or clark kent or anything, I would just assume that is how she meant it.
                              Exactly what I was trying to say!

Comment

Laptop battery is for use where there is no outlet, and at that point, you have about two hours or so.
                                My laptop battery gives me 8 hrs. just saying.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎