Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Clark tell strangers his secret, but hide it from his friends?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dyanara
    Im just tired of everyone knowing but Lois.
    Sorry, she doesn't have any powers

Comment

This reminds me of an episode of justice league (the great brain robbery) where lex and the flash switch bodies (flash is in lex's body and lex in the flash). Lex is at one point (as the flash) in a bathroom and decides that at least he will know the flashes identity so he takes off the mask and looks in a mirror. He then says to himself "I have no idea who this is" so in essence Flashes identity isn't compromised. This of course wouldn't be true if the hero was also a well known public figure or is revealed to someone who knows him as his alter ego.

Comment

the way that i see it is that since the WT don't know who clark kent is he figured that he could show them. also, since he probably wants them to trust him and join his team of heroes later on he decided to show them. he also may have done it b/c they were such big fans, like how celebrities give people their autographs and stuff. and really since he's deciding to wear glasses now, they won't know who he is. thats just the way i see it.

Comment

I didn't understand why Clark didn't reveal his secret to her in this episode, she stuck up for him at the press conference and totally accepted him after the rooftop sequence....and he lied and said it wasn't him.

I don't get it, he knows he can trust her.

Comment

I guess he thinks if his friends know it would make life more complicated but if he tells strangers he never sees them so it won't be so complicated.

Comment

Well the twins already knew really. The girl was watching Chloe as a bug which led her to Clark so she saw the rooftop situation developing and flew back to get her brother who turned into fog to provide cover for Clark to save Lois. He must have realized that so him stepping out of the shadows just made it easier for him to have a real connection with them - for them to realize there is a man behind the myth.

As for Lois, it's quite clear that Clark feels that knowing the secret puts her in greater danger. And don't forget he's watching the transformation Chloe has gone through over the years and probably wants to avoid placing that burden on Lois.

Comment

That Clark lied to Lois bothers me. It's one thing for him not to tell her; it's his secret to keep. However, she not only found out but clearly proved herself worthy of knowing. Frankly, she's more trustworthy than Chloe at this point.

Comment

Lois has announced to Metropolis that she knows who he is. She is in danger now, whether she thinks the Blur is Clark or not simply because people will attempt to find out who the Blur is through her. What difference does it make whether she knows his secret or not at this point? In fact, it would probably be safer for her if she does know because then she can know the right course of action if she is attacked.
                  Last edited by tsunami3; 11-14-2009, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin24
                    Yeah, that was something that made me scratch my head too. There was really no reason for him to show himself to the twins.

Does it have to do with them being able to take care of themselves? Or that since they don't have a personal relationship they won't link them to him?
                    They already knew who he was. Jayna was a bug and overheard Chloe and Clark talking and flew back and told her brother the Blur was in trouble. She saw him on the ledge with Lois. Not sure why his face was dark at first , maybe they hadn't seen him in costume.

Comment

Yeah it doesn't bother me so much that he doesn't tell her anymore. Because it's in line with the mythos and we know for a fact that it's because he wants to protect her. Clark already knows she can be trusted; she showed that both in Infamous, and Idol, where she showed she'd die to protect his secret. And as has already been voiced, she is in a lot more trouble when people know how close she is to him. And we all know she's going to find out eventually, despite if it doesn't happen for a while on the show.

Comment

Does anyone think it's a bit insulting for Clark to not just admit to Lois thats he's the Blur? Especially in such a situation as the one on the rooftop. Lois was prepared to die for Clark's cause. Was Clark really trying to convince her, even in the face of death, that her noble intentions and such a sacrfice would be misguided? If somebody is about to make the ultimate sacrifice for you, at least have the decency to be truthful to them and not attempt to discredit their actions.

What if the mist hadn't appeared? In all likelihood Clark would have saved her without revealing his identity somehow, but if not...Would Clark feel that he had done the right thing in lying to Lois as she died?

Comment

Originally posted by nikkicy
                          I didn't understand why Clark didn't reveal his secret to her in this episode, she stuck up for him at the press conference and totally accepted him after the rooftop sequence....and he lied and said it wasn't him.

I don't get it, he knows he can trust her.
                          I think he's known that since Infamous.

I really do believe that it's not a matter of trust, but really it's a matter on not giving her a burden from his POV.

folks like the JLA, Wondertwins, they already live a dangerous life on being heroes, and have a means of defending themselves and such...well special means, so they're used to that type of lifestyles and therefore can handle the burden i guess.

and truth be told, normal civilians have never found out about his secret by him telling them willingly and because he wanted to and NOT because he had to.

Clark's action with Chloe, made it clear that he does regret even Lana and Chloe knowing about his secret.

I agree, Lois did make herself a bigger target than Clark had expected by ousting herself like that in front of the world at that press conference, and Clark is going to have to realize soon that he can't stop the troubles from finding Lois or vice versa.

but i also do feel that given on how Lois was willing to die for Clark to protect his secret doesn't make things better since that's the LAST THING..no..it's not even a thing period, that Clark would want period.

Comment

The purpose of the reveal was to inspire the twins. They proved themselves worthy enough to meet face to face with their idol. The only thing missing from that scene was after clark talked to them and stepped out of the shadows was Clark saying. "And knowing is half the battle!" lol. I have to admit I said that out loud for some reason during certain parts of the episode because they felt rather PSA like, just like the old school G.I. Joe TV show. If Clark didn't set them straight and reveal himself to them to show that he trusted them, they might have run off and caused more trouble again out of frustration for the Blur not revealing himself to them after all they did for him.

Comment

Like several posters have said, most all the people who quickly found out his secret are already in an 'alternative lifestyle' .... meaning that they have super powers, are crime-fighters, or are villains that he had no choice but to face directly. I think he wants to spare his loved-ones the burden of the heightened risk of the dangerous 'world within a world' that he operates in.

Now, you could say that Lois made it seem in public like she knew who he was, so she might as well know. She is now a target. However, I could still see Clark justifying keeping her in the dark. Look at how knowing and protecting the secret turned Pete's life upside down. Look at how it eventually corrupted Chloe and Lana both (in different ways).

Think of the crazy extra risks Lois would then take if she knew. She already takes enough, just when trying to get a good story, and even to protect Clark on occasion. Imagine if she knew it all. As Chloe said, Lois would be like a hound-dog if she got a good hint, and my feeling is that if she flat-out knew, she'd be throwing herself in front of the train every chance she got, to save either Clark or Superman.

So, Clark is indeed wise to keep the people that care about him at a distance (regarding the secret identity), and it makes perfect sense for him to show himself to others who are already 'in the life.'
                              Last edited by Animation; 11-17-2009, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlvsclrk
                                Well the twins already knew really. The girl was watching Chloe as a bug which led her to Clark so she saw the rooftop situation developing and flew back to get her brother who turned into fog to provide cover for Clark to save Lois. He must have realized that so him stepping out of the shadows just made it easier for him to have a real connection with them - for them to realize there is a man behind the myth.
                                This is how I saw this as well. The episode taught him, among other things, that the Blur needs to be seen. He can't remain in the shadows, he needs to be trusted and that means showing his face. Now that's another can of worms I will not go into. But the fact that he was showing them his face here really drove home the point of what he was saying to them.

And don't forget he's watching the transformation Chloe has gone through over the years and probably wants to avoid placing that burden on Lois.
                                IA. I just watched Apocalypse, and it is clear that Clark, for a long time now, only wants those he loves to have a normal, happy life. Even now, though he appreciates the help and resources those closest to him provide, I'm sure he regrets that they are in this position. But I also think that while he carries that guilt, he has tried to move past it and do something about it, as he told Oliver in Rabid.

Originally posted by herolee10
                                I think he's known that since Infamous.

I really do believe that it's not a matter of trust, but really it's a matter on not giving her a burden from his POV.

folks like the JLA, Wondertwins, they already live a dangerous life on being heroes, and have a means of defending themselves and such...well special means, so they're used to that type of lifestyles and therefore can handle the burden i guess.

and truth be told, normal civilians have never found out about his secret by him telling them willingly and because he wanted to and NOT because he had to.

Clark's action with Chloe, made it clear that he does regret even Lana and Chloe knowing about his secret.

I agree, Lois did make herself a bigger target than Clark had expected by ousting herself like that in front of the world at that press conference, and Clark is going to have to realize soon that he can't stop the troubles from finding Lois or vice versa.

but i also do feel that given on how Lois was willing to die for Clark to protect his secret doesn't make things better since that's the LAST THING..no..it's not even a thing period, that Clark would want period.
                                Thomas I agree with your post on the most part. But I think there's more to Clark not telling her (besides the flippant, "it's not in the script" ). I said it elsewhere that he probably wants to, more than anyone else in his life, tell her on HIS terms, when he feels it is right to do so. It's Clark's secret to reveal, and Lois knows that. There's a lot on the line, besides their relationship, ie: "There's no room to make mistakes, not when the world is watching".

I think he will tell her when he has found the balance in his life, as Kal-El/Clark, and as the hero/reporter. Once all his "stuff" is put together, he should definitely tell her. He clearly wants to, but like I said, I think he wants to do it of his own accord. This is something he's struggled with for a long time, and she's clearly very important to him, he's in love with her and falling deeper by the minute. I think Clark will do everything possible to make this right for them. No matter what he does, she will always be a part of both his lives, and will love both him and his other persona. Now it is up to him to choose the time and place to tell her they are the same person.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Oooh, great post Animation.
                                Last edited by hellokitty; 11-17-2009, 02:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎