Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Clark tell strangers his secret, but hide it from his friends?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does Clark tell strangers his secret, but hide it from his friends?

What struck me in this episode was the fact that, pretty much the very next scene after Clark had convinced Lois that he wasn't the Blur, he went and showed the Wonder Twins his face. I know this doesn't exactly tell them everything, but it irked me slightly because it made it seem like he was more willing to trust these two kids - who had already threatened his reputation and caused the trouble that endangered Lois in the first place - than the woman he says he's in love with.

Below is a list of the people in Clark's life that knows/knew his secret and how long it took them to find out:

Pete - two years
    Chloe - four years
    Lana - six years
    Jimmy - two years

Below is a list of people (maybe not all of them) who were basically strangers but found out about Clark's secret pretty much right after meeting him:

Bart Allen
    Alicia Baker
    Jordan Cross
    Arthur Curry
    Kevin Grady
    Ryan James
    Cyrus Krupp
    Javier Ramirez
    Kyle Tippet
    Joseph and Kyla Willowbrook

Granted, some of them witnessed Clark using his powers, but still, it wasn't like he fought to conceal the truth after that anyway - not like he did when others, such as Lois in this episode, suspected it. It just seems weird to me that he's so comfortable telling his secret to people that he's not sure if he can trust, yet is so reluctant to let his friends in.

Yeah, that was something that made me scratch my head too. There was really no reason for him to show himself to the twins.

Does it have to do with them being able to take care of themselves? Or that since they don't have a personal relationship they won't link them to him?

Comment

I know. I guess he wants to protect the people he cares about but give me a break. It's starting to get on my nerves.

Comment

I guess after they saved Lois (and Clark), Clark and Chloe decided they were JL material. Not the best vetting process, but once they're in, they have access to the JL's faces, I suppose.

Comment

I can understand why Clark is reluctant to tell his secret to Lois after what happened to most people who find out. Like Clark always said those who are close to him usually ended up hurt or dead because of the secret. And while I believe Clark is partially wrong in this assumption, because I believe most of them got hurt due to their own actions and choices, I can see how difficult it must be for him. Take Lana's and Chloe's recent actions for instance, as Oliver said last season, Chloe has been living Clark's life for a long time now, and Lana tried to do the same. I think it is more of a matter of fear at this point than trust. Clark knows Lois can be trusted, but he fears what may happen once she finds out.

But I also see your point and I honestly don't have an answer to that.

Comment

This is one instance I wish the writers would have Clark outright say - again - why he won't tell Lois his secret.

I mean, I think after last season when he voiced to Chloe in Abyss what has happened to everyone that has learned his secret is a pretty good indication as to why he doesn't tell Lois. And he has reason to believe that assessment is correct given what happen in Infamous; Lois knew the secret for about a day before the Feds went after her.

But really, Lois has pretty much outed herself to millions as knowing The Blur. Even now, even when she doesn't think he and Clark are one and the same anymore, millions still think she knows him. Getting thrown off roofs is going to be the least of her problems now.

So yeah, Clark's probably afraid of turning her life upside down still, but it already has been. Is he still afraid that giving her the whole lowdown on the secret will cause him to to have to watch her die or walk away like everyone else?

We know the behind the scenes reason why he doesn't tell her (because Lois isn't supposed to know yet), but they need to have Clark voice why he doesn't specifically want to tell her - and soon.

Comment

after Idol and her speech, i would rather have Clark NOT voicing his reasons, because i doubt even we can come up with some good excuse and at this point it would look ridiculous for show to come up with "i need to protect her", "its for her safety" or "it would change the way she looks at me"... :P

tho Im curious, what "lining up with mythos" KS had in mind, when she was asked about Lois knowing about Clark. Is it, that she cant know till he really is Superman or she cant know, until they date and he proposes to her, no matter if he still is "only" the Blur?

Comment

I think Lois will find out by the season's end. Not sure why but I just got this feeling. She's too close to finding out. Unless she gets a major mindwipe (I really hope she doesn't) after Pandora there's no telling what she'll remember...

Comment

The problem is that - other than canon, the TPTB and the myth arc of the Love "Triangle" it does not make sense for Lois to not know at this point. At least, not in the Smallville universe.

Clark acknowledged a long time ago that he cannot have a releationship where he is not honest about who he is - and the Lana crap proved this.

Lois has proved twice that she can be absolutely trusted. Once in the ep when Clark told her the whole truth but then had to reverse time and this ep when she was willing to die so that Clark could protect his identity.

Finally, it cannot be that Clark wants Lois to love him for being Clark and not Superman/The Blur (like in Lois and Clark) because Lois, while she has a crush on the Blur, has already chosen Clark over him.

So, quite frankly, the writers have put themselves in a box on this one.

Comment

Most of the people Clark told has special abilities. One way or another they could find out who Clark really is if they want. He is just better off telling them and getting it out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Myrddin
                      she was willing to die so that Clark could protect his identity.
                      I think this here is Clark's problem.

She was willing to die for his secret. Clark will inevitably see this as his secret endangering her life so...

Comment

Most of the people are like his accomplises. They are already in the dangerous world. Or them finding out wasn't his choice.

The wonder twins, if they were going to join the JL, would have to be included in the secret club. He just wanted to do it himself.

Comment

I was really wondering the same thing. But I guess it's just that he was revealing his secret to other heros.

Comment

Im just tired of everyone knowing but Lois.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide
                              Most of the people are like his accomplises. They are already in the dangerous world. Or them finding out wasn't his choice.

The wonder twins, if they were going to join the JL, would have to be included in the secret club. He just wanted to do it himself.
                              Agreed. Most of those who he didn't know well but know are super powered in some way and have a secret of there own. So it like a superhero code of honor and secrecy. Cause if they tell he could tell.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎