Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of this episode?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lois: "Two hours to get here with the monorail down". Okay, that kinda answers the issue of the inconsistent Smallville-Metropolis travel time (in "Truth" said to be 3 hours). At some point, someone (probably the Luthors) has constructed a monorail, that runs through Smallville and to Metropolis. Significantly reducing travel time.

In this episode, we're introduced to the Wonder Twins. Two characters that nobody was probably very interested in seeing. However, they work for the episode. They're two young people with superhuman powers, who've been inspired by the Blur, to fight crime (just like how Superman, in the comics, tend to inspire other heroes). But, they screw up and fail to create their own personas, instead giving the credit for their job to the Blur (meaning he has to take the blame). And that's the important lesson of the episode. It's okay to have role models and idols, who you look up to and inspire you, but you must consider that you are not them (nor are they you) and be yourself.

The episode also sees important development in the Lois and Clark relationship. Often, this relationship starts with Lois being in love with Superman. I'm glad they skipped that here. Lois having a crush on Superman is something I often see critized, as it just makes her come across as shallow. That she's attracted to Superman, because of his powers, not because of the person. She wants the social status of being "Mrs. Superman". Here, Lois is allowed to develop feelings for Clark. Powers or no powers, she loves him. There is no second-guessing this incarnation of Lois Lane.

I also liked the bit with Lois going to therapy. I've often critized the character of Lana and how she's been portrayed: the night visits to her parents grave (where she has pretend conversations with them); Chloe's comment about her crying at night ("Accelerate"). She's a character, who should've gone to therapy (of course, aunt Nell is the one we should blame, in that regard. As the girl's legal guardian, it would've been her duty to notice her niece's unhealthy behavior and arranged for her to talk to someone), instead she went to some guy who made her submerge in ice water and touch heated metal. Here, Lois has suffered a trauma (that supressed part of her memory) and she seeks help, to resolve the issue. The healthy thing to do.

Nice Lois & Clark easter egg with the Bonnie Tyler song.

Comment

• Originally posted by jon-el87
      Lois: "Two hours to get here with the monorail down". Okay, that kinda answers the issue of the inconsistent Smallville-Metropolis travel time (in "Truth" said to be 3 hours). At some point, someone (probably the Luthors) has constructed a monorail, that runs through Smallville and to Metropolis. Significantly reducing travel time.
      With the power out in the city, the monorail was affected. I would guess that all the traffic lights would have been out too. There would be more chaos and gridlock on the roads as more people are having to use them to get around (there might have been more pedestrians too. I've been in London when Tube workers have been on strike, and it's put more pressure on the roads and other transport systems as they get a lot busier than usual). So I think her two-hour comment is just trying to get from the office to the damage site, not from her apartment in Smallville. Metropolis is portrayed as a huge place kind of like New York. As regards infrastructure, a lot of it was re-done after Dark Thursday so it's possible that links from places like Smallville would have been improved instead of just replacing existing infrastructure like for like.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎