Clear All

• Review

Doomsday - 6.7/10 (Season 8 Finale)
    Savior - 8.9/10 (Season 9 Premiere)
    Metallo - 9.2/10

Rabid -

Overall Rating- 9.0/10

Let me start with the official episode description:

ZOD UNLEASHES A VIRUS INTO METROPOLIS — Zod (Callum Blue) and his soldiers release a virus into the air that turns humans into zombies. The only way to stop it is to make an antidote from the blood of another Kryptonian. After Lois (Erica Durance) is infected, Chloe (Allison Mack) pleads with Clark (Tom Welling) to donate his blood to stop the epidemic, even though it risks outing him to Zod. Posted on KryptonSite. Michael Rohl directed the episode written by Jordan Hawley

When reading this episode description, I immediately immagined a mob of zombies crowded around Clark in the streets of Metropolis. I will be the first to say that is not what we got. What we did get is Supernat-Ville-- The CW's version of Supernatural on Smallville; Lois and Clark fighting a mob of zombies.

First, whoever likes the Lois and Clark aspect of the Superman movies, start watching Smallville now, because your missing out on a whole lot. This episode was filled with Lois/Clark love moments all around. Clark and Lois fighting zombies back to back, Clark and Lois getting closer to that first kiss between them, Clark holding Lois as she is overcome by the wrath of the zombie, and much much much more. This is not only an episode with Lois and Clark love sparks flying, but for the fans of Lois and Oliver, the episode takes a swap at that relationship too. And for those who are fans of Lana and Clark (UGH!!!).... well, theres about three pictures of Lana in this episode, one of which Clark stares at (not that THAT is a bad thing, he could be just remembering the good memories can't he?). I find it an interesting scene though. Seems to me that he's been carrying her picture around in his wallet to show how much she means to him, but he is now moving on, cleaned out his wallet, and placed her picture in a scrapbook of their past. Talk about so much said in such a little moment. I found that a dignified way to close Clana.

The episode starts out as an episode similar to the format of Bride, where they show what is happening at the moment, and after the crdits, they go "12 hours earlier". I'm not a huge fan of the epiodes formated like this, but this episode made the format work well. It could have been the cinimatography, or the fact that the first five minutes reminded me of Supernatural, but seeing what was happening now, and turning back 12 hours was defenty a strong point in this episode. Just when watching the episode and how it reminded me of Supernatural made me think how awsome this episode would be. After the credits, we see Clark at the Daily Planet, of course looking for a crime of some sort, and then Lois shows up. I should just stop there because thats when the Lois and Clark sparks fly. Anyway, Clark ends up going after a motercycle which happens to be none other than Oliver Queen. The negative Clark and Oliver sparks fly here

The Oliver storyline gets stepped up a notch this episode. For those of you who have thought Oliver's story seemed unbelievable and unrealistic, this episode makes it believable. We can say good bye to The Green Arrow too (for now, don't worry, he will be back!!).

Back to the story, Tess gets attacked by Zombies in the Luther Mansion, and somehow, one of Tess's guards says that it originated from the Daily Planet. I got a bit confused there, but if it's a flaw, I don't think it hurt the episode, and if it's just me missunderstanding something, then it's just me. Tess gets put into the hospital, and Dr. Hamilton, Clark, and Lois retreve a blood sample from Tess to see what infected her. Then Clark and Lois go to the Daily Planet to investigate the "tip" from one of Tess's guards and end up being attacked by zombies. Who saves them? Oliver with a shotgun. Not long after, Dr. Hamilton and Cloe figure out that the only way to save Clark is to get blood from him. Clark zooms to the watch tower, and gets blood taken. I'm not going to spoil much more, but Lois does get infected with the zombie "venom", for lack of better words. Zod makes a briefe appearance; one of his followers tell Zod that this was a ploy to draw out the Blur because he realized the Blur must be Kryptonian. Based on this, Zod now thinks the Blur is Jor-El, who Zod believes is hidding on Earth as a human, and is getting his powers from the yellow sun, unlike Zod and his people.

One thing the producers should end up doing is make Dr. Hamilton's character a season regular. Based on response to his character, many people seem to enjoy his company on the show. His scenes with Chloe just seem to get better with every episode.

The Clark and Lois scenes are pure television magic. Last season, many of these scenes were funny, and I liked the humor, but this season, its subtle humor: the humor is most defently there, but it isn't as obvious as it has been. I don't know if thats a good thing (it does seem to be working) and I don't know if it will stay like that, but I do enjoy it as much as the last season.

Tess was not in this episode much. When she was though, she was pretty good. Not much to say there.

Zod was amazing. He defently adds that much more to the show. Even though he has gotten about 15 minutes of screen time this season so far, he is an essential part of the story. Callum Blue portrays him spot on: an evil little *****.

Oliver has a redemtion episode coming this episode. It might be a way off, but you know it will happen. His story just got better and believeable this episode and I liked it.

Clark and Chloe were spot on. There acting seems to improve after every episode. I like how the Lois and Clark scenes were. We were told time and time again that Clark has feelings for Lois. This episode he shows it. Lois was also fantasic.

There were some bumps in this episode. The whole cure aspect was a little off. I don't know it could be just me. Regardless, this episode was a really great episode. If we get these quality episodes for the rest of the season, the viewers should really appreciate it and get back into the show.

I had no idea what to expect this episode. I knew there would be zombies, but I had no expectations. Next week, I am extremely excited about the return of the Toyman. Clark also gets a brand new power nine years into the show. How much better can this get?

Edit 1:

When the numbers come in with the viewers, I will post them and compare them with previous weeks.

Edit 2:

The ratings are in:

Rabid: 2.30 million viewers.
    Metallo: 2.24 million viewers
    Savior: 2.50 million viewers

Via TVByTheNumbers.com
    Last edited by ChaosMaster16; 11-10-2009, 08:03 PM.
Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎