Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546474849 ... LastLast
    can't wait to read the new chapter Mary-El and these little teaser are keeping me alive!!

Quote Originally Posted by cathy14 View Post
    can't wait to read the new chapter Mary-El and these little teaser are keeping me alive!!
    I was hoping to post it yesterday, but circumstances prevented me from doing so. *glares at RL aka Mom*

Update!

Banner by the amazing Carol aka ctbn60. Thanks, Carol!

A/N:
    Sorry for the long delay, so I made up for it with a really long update. Enjoy!!!

CHAPTER 23

Previously:

His ears perk up when he hears Miss Hatcher talking to someone in the tent about him and Lois.

You were right when you said that they make an interesting couple.

He laughs inwardly and takes Lois’ free hand as they walk back towards the parking lot…

A few weeks later…

“So what do you want to watch next?” Clark calls out to Lois from the kitchen as he drizzles butter over the popcorn and lightly tosses it.

“How about Die-hard?” she asks as she curls up on the couch.

“Not again,” he groans as he comes over and sets the bowl down on the coffee table. “We’ve seen it at least three times in the last two weeks.”

“Well then, what do you want to watch?” she asks as he walks over to the bookshelf where he keeps the DVD’s.

“How about Titanic?” pulling out the DVD.

“Spoiler alert, Smallville. The ship sinks in the end,” she replies with a smirk.

He rolls his eyes and puts it back on the shelf. “How about this one?” pulling out another DVD and holding it out for her to see.

Caddyshack? Are you kidding me?”

He looks back at her with surprise. “Don’t tell me you’ve never seen Caddyshack?”

“I’ve seen it,” she replies. “I just didn’t think it was funny.”

“How could you not think it’s funny? It’s a classic – just like The Three Stooges.”

“I don’t think they’re funny either,” she says as she grabs a fistful of popcorn and shoves it in her mouth.

Clark’s jaw drops at her statement. “You don’t like The Three Stooges either?”

She looks up at him curiously. “Do you have a problem with my not liking them?”

“No…I mean…yes… no…I just can’t believe that my girlfriend doesn’t like The Three Stooges,” still shaking his head in disbelief as he sits down on the recliner.

“My poor baby,” she says sweetly as she gets up and walks over to him. “What can I do to cheer you up?”

“I don’t know if there’s anything you can do,” he says with a shrug of his shoulders as she straddles his lap.

“Are you sure about that?” she whispers in a sultry voice as she unbuttons his shirt and spreads it open to reveal his bare chest.

“Mmm,” a soft sigh escaping his mouth as her fingertips lightly graze his skin. “I think you may be on the right track,” his hands grabbing her backside and pulling her flush against his chest.

“How about if I do this?” her lips nipping at his collar bone.

“Oh, yeah,” his hands caressing her back up and down. “You’re almost there.”

She looks up at him. “What do I need to do to get all the way there?” arching one of her brows.

“Right here,” pointing at his mouth.

“You should have said so in the first place,” she says teasingly as she promptly lowers her lips.

Upstairs…

“I’m gonna get a soda,” says Peter as he gets up from the chair and walks over to the bedroom door.

“Can you get me one too?” Greg asks as he continues to read the latest issue of Warrior Angel while Bobby was curled up next to him taking a nap.

He pauses in the doorway. “Why can’t you get it yourself?” he snaps back.

Greg looks up. “What’s going on with you? Why have you been in such a bad mood lately?”

Fine. I’ll get your damn soda,” slamming the door behind him and grumbling under his breath as he goes down the stairs and enters the kitchen. As he’s reaching inside the refrigerator for a couple cans of soda, he hears some breathy moans coming from the living room. He slowly closes the door and takes a few steps towards the living room. His eyes widen with shock; dropping the unopened cans of soda and immediately dashing up the stairs.

Greg was still reading when Peter comes in and lays down on his bed and covers his head with a pillow. Greg looks over at him and puts the comic book aside. “Where are the sodas?”

“I didn’t get them.”

“Why not?” Greg asks as he slowly and carefully gets up from his bed so as not to wake up Bobby, then sits down on the edge of Peter’s bed.

Peter pulls off the pillow and sits up. “I saw Dad sitting on the recliner with his new girlfriend on his lap and they were kissing,” scrunching his face up.

“They kiss because they like each other. What’s the big deal?” Greg asks as Peter lies back down on the bed.

Peter looks up at him with a frown. “You actually approve?

Greg pauses a moment before answering. “You may not remember the fights Mom and Dad used to have but I do. They weren’t happy when she died. If Dad’s new girlfriend makes him happy, then what’s wrong with that? Besides, she’s treated all of us really nice from the beginning.”

“I bet that would change if they got married,” Peter retorts and sits up again.

“I don’t think she’s like that at all,” Greg counters as Peter gets out of bed. “Now where are you going?”

“I feel like going for a run all of a sudden,” he replies.

“You know we’re not supposed to go out by ourselves – especially at night,” he calls out after him but Peter had already jumped out the open window.

Greg rushes over and watches as Peter super-speeds away. Should I tell Dad? he wonders as he continues looking out the window. I don’t want to be a tattle tale though, frowning to himself. I probably should tell him, he decides and leaves the room. He’s half way down the stairs when he sees Clark and Lois making out. They’re still kissing? He shakes his head as he tip toes back upstairs. I suppose it could wait a few more minutes, he decides as he lies back down and resumes his reading.

Back downstairs…

“I love your soft lips,” Clark mumbles between kisses.

“I was just going to say the same thing about yours,” Lois mumbles back as his hands move down to the edge of her tank top.

She stills for a moment as he starts to lift it upwards. “Uh, Smallville, what do you think you’re doing?”

He stops half way and opens his eyes. “I thought I’d level the playing field a little,” looking at her curiously. “If you’re not ready to go a little further---”

“It’s not that I don’t want to…”

“Then what is it?”

“I think you forgot about your kids upstairs.”

He gazes up at her for a moment before pulling her top back down. “I guess I did,” he sighs as she gets off his lap. “How are we ever going to have more than a few minutes alone if the kids are always around?”

“I don’t know,” she replies with a sigh as she plops down on the couch. “We’ll figure something out.”

“I hope so,” getting up from the recliner and sitting next to her; his arm lying across her shoulders. “Maybe we could make time next weekend,” he suggests.

“We can’t because you’re having a Fourth of July picnic. Don’t you remember that you invited me and the girls over a month ago?”

“I remember,” he replies as they both fall silent. Just then, his ears pick up a far away rumbling. “Sounds like it’s about to rain,” getting up from the couch and walking over to the kitchen door and stepping onto the porch. “I was right. Take a look at those storm clouds,” staring up at the slowly darkening sky.

She walks over and stands next to him. “I better get going before it starts to pour,” she says just as the rain begins to fall.

“You’re not going anywhere,” he declares. “I don’t want you driving in this kind of weather. You can stay in my room and the girls can stay in the spare bedroom. I’ll be fine on the couch.”

“I can’t kick you out of your own bed.”

“I insist,” he replies. “The roads around here get pretty muddy when it rains and I don’t recall you having four-wheel drive on your car.”

“I suppose you’re right,” she concedes. “Marcia and Janet are in the loft right now playing some board games and Cindy is probably sleeping on the couch. I swear that girl can sleep through anything. She’s like her father in that respect,” she quips. “I better go get them.”

“I’ll do it if you check on what my boys are doing.”

“Sure thing,” giving him a quick peck on the lips. He watches until she goes inside before starting to go down the porch stairs, but his cell phone buzzes before he could make it all the way to the bottom. He pulls it out of his jeans pocket and reads the text message.

You should button your shirt. I don’t want my girls shocked by the image of your sexy six-pack abs. They’re for my eyes only.

He couldn’t help but smile as he buttons the shirt and heads in the direction of the barn.

Meanwhile up in the loft…

“It was Miss Scarlet in the library with the revolver,” Marcia announces.

Janet checks the cards in the Solutions Cards envelope and throws them down. “Darn it!” she mutters under her breath.

“I won again,” Marcia declares with a grin. “Now pay up,” holding out her hand.

Fine,” Janet scowls as she hands her an unopened box of Lifesaver Gummies. “I can’t believe you won again,” continuing to grumble as she gathers up all the pieces and puts them in the game box.

“Don’t you want to play another round?” asks Marcia as she pops a couple of gummies in her mouth and begins to chew them.

“I think losing to you three times in one evening is enough for me,” Janet retorts as she closes the lid on the box.

Marcia gets up from the floor and walks over to the window to watch the rain fall. “I love it when it rains,” she remarks before turning around. “Do you think that we might be able to stay here overnight?” she asks in a hopeful tone.

“I hope not,” Janet replies as she picks up the box and places it on the desk.

“Why? Don’t you like being on a farm?” Marcia asks as Janet lies down in the hammock.

“I’d like it better if Peter Kent didn’t live here,” she retorts while swinging back and forth. “Remember what he did to my hair?” she says with a frown. “I hate short hair.”

“I think short hair looks really nice on you,” Marcia says with a smile.

“Easy for you to say because you still have your long hair,” Janet continues to pout.

“You know, you can be a real brat sometimes,” Marcia says with exasperation.

“Well you’re a goody two-shoes and I’m sick of it,” Janet snaps back.

“I am not,” Marcia retorts.

“You are too,” Janet counters.

“Am not.”

“Are too.”

“Am not.”

“Are too,” sticking out her tongue at Marcia.

They stop their arguing when they hear footsteps coming up the stairs. “Is everything okay here?” Clark asks as he steps into the loft.

“Hunky dory,” says Janet with a fake smile plastered on her face.

“Why don’t I believe you?” he asks with his arms folded across his chest.

“I don’t know,” Janet shrugs her shoulders. “That’s your problem.”

“If you say so,” Clark says with a barely concealed grin as he makes his way over to the window. “The four of you will be staying here tonight so gather up your things,” he says as he closes the window and hands Marcia an umbrella.

“Can’t we sleep here?” she asks as he picks up a sleeping Cindy off the couch.

“Maybe next time,” he says with a smile as the girls pick up their backpacks before descending the stairs. “First one to the house gets a special treat,” Clark declares and goes into a fast jog.

“No fair. That’s cheating!” Janet yells out and promptly starts running faster.

Marcia laughs to herself as she opens the umbrella and takes her time walking to the house. She gets there just as Janet and Clark were taking off their already muddy shoes. “You don’t like to race?” Clark asks before he brings Cindy into the house and lays her down on the couch.

“Sometimes, but I love to walk in the rain more,” she replies when he returns to the porch. “So who won the big race anyway?” she asks as she sits down on the porch swing and takes off her shoes.

“Mr. Kent did,” Janet frowns as she shakes some of the water out of her hair.

“So what kind of treat are you getting?”

Clark looks over at Marcia. “I haven’t decided yet,” he winks at her as he goes into the kitchen while Marcia sits down in the recliner.

Janet sits down cross legged in front of the fireplace next to a sleeping Shelby. “Do you think Mom would be okay with it if we watched some television before we went to bed?” she asks Clark.

“I’m sure your Mom would be okay with it,” he replies with a smile.

“Where is she anyway?” Marcia asks as she picks up the remote.

“I’m right here,” Lois says as she comes down the stairs. “And yes, it’s okay,” she adds.

“Great,” Marcia replies as she turns on the television and starts flipping the channels.

“Mom, do you think we can have a dog?” Janet asks as she continues to stroke Shelby’s fur.

“I’m sorry honey, but the apartment is just too small for a dog,” she says regretfully as she enters the kitchen. “Besides, you know I’m allergic to them.”

“What about cats? You’re not allergic to them are you?”

Lois thinks about it for a moment before she answers. “Alright. I promise I’ll think about it. Okay?”

“Okay,” Janet replies with a smile as Shelby stretches in his sleep.

“So where’s Peter?” Clark asks Lois as Greg and a still yawning Bobby come down the stairs.

“I don’t know,” she answers with a shrug of her shoulders as she pulls out a chair and sits down at the kitchen table. “He wasn’t up there just now when I went to get the boys,” she adds as she picks up a Clementine orange from the basket in the middle of the table and begins to peel it.

“So do you know where Peter is?” Clark turning his attention to his oldest son. Greg doesn’t answer right away; instead going into the kitchen while Bobby makes his way into the living room and curls up next to Cindy on the couch. Clark walks over to him. “You didn’t answer me. Where’s Peter?” he asks him one more time.

“I don’t really want to be a tattle tale,” he replies as he picks up the two cans of soda that Peter had dropped earlier and puts them in the refrigerator.

Tell me where he went,” Clark walks over to him and lightly gripping Greg’s shoulders.

He heaves a sigh before he says, “He decided to go for a run.”

“He went for a run,” Clark repeats in a calm voice. “He went for a run?” staring at Greg with a stunned look on his face.

Greg notices the slight infliction in his father’s voice and nods his head. “I’m sure he’ll be back any second.”

“Is there something wrong with Peter going for a run?” Lois asks in a curious tone as she starts to eat the orange.

Clark and Greg discretely exchange worried glances before Clark looks over at Lois. “Of course not,” he answers at last before returning his attention back to Greg. “Why didn’t you tell me this sooner?” Clark asks him in a voice one octave higher than normal.

“I was going to but you seemed a bit…well…occupied?” quirking his brow and cocking his head towards Lois.

Clark looks at him with confusion at first, but then his eyes widen. “Oh,” letting go of Greg’s shoulders and looking over at Lois with the same embarrassed look that she was sporting.

There’s a moment of uncomfortable silence between them until the kitchen door opens and Peter steps inside. “I’m back,” he announces as he closes the door behind him.

“Peter Kent, you know you’re not supposed to go out by yourself - especially at night,” Clark scolds him.

“I just needed some air, Dad,” he replies as he hangs his jacket on the coat rack.

“That’s no excuse for breaking the rules,” his eyes narrowing at his son.

“I don’t give a damn,” Peter snaps back.

Clark’s eyes begin to darken and narrow. “What have I told you about swearing in this house?”

Peter ignores him and brushes past him to run up the stairs. “We’re not done talking about this young man!” Clark yells out as he follows him upstairs.

“Looks like somebody is in a lot of trouble,” Janet says with a smirk.

Lois looks in her direction and fixes her glare at her. “You’d be in a lot of trouble too if I ever caught you swearing,” her eyes narrowing. “That goes for you too, Missy,” turning to look at Marcia.

Peter slams the bedroom door shut and plops down on the bed. Clark opens the door and stands in the doorway with his hands on his hips. “What the heck is with you lately?” coming into the room and closing the door behind him. “Ever since the fundraiser you’ve been surly and acting like a brat. Now you’re swearing? And in front of my girlfriend and her daughters no less? I thought I taught you better than that,” shaking his head sadly. “If your mother were here, she would be very disappointed in you.”

“Well she’s not here is she?” he spats back. “Besides, why would you even care if she was here anyway?” turning away from him. “It’s not as if you wanted to marry her.”

Clark’s jaw drops at what Peter just said. He doesn’t answer right away, but instead sits down next to him on the bed. “How could you say that? What makes you think I didn’t want to marry her?”

He doesn’t answer but instead gets up and kneels down on the floor to pull out a small box from beneath his bed. He opens it and pulls out a small book, then hands it to Clark.

Clark takes the book. “This is an old journal of your mothers,” looking up at his son. “Where did you find it?”

“I found it a few weeks ago when Bobby and I were playing hide and seek and I hid in your closet. It was on the floor in the back behind a couple boxes of Mom’s stuff.”

Clark continues to hold the book in his hands. “You read this didn’t you,” fixing his glaze on Peter. “Why?”

“I was curious, I guess. Besides, it doesn’t say that it was a journal,” pointing to the blank cover.

“Maybe so, but once you opened it and saw her handwriting, that’s when you should have closed it,” Clark answers. “You should have given it to me so I could put it away with all her stuff.”

“You’ve never read it?” asks Peter.

Never,” Clark replies with a shake of his head. “Your mother and I respected each other’s right to privacy and you should have too,” placing the book down on the bed.

“So I guess you don’t want to know that she wanted to leave us long before I came along,” Peter says to him.

“She said that?”

Peter nods his head and picks up the book; flipping through a few pages until he finds what he’s looking for, then handing it to Clark again.

Clark reads the page in question; looking up after he finishes reading it only to see Peter’s glistening eyes. “She also wrote that you only married her because she was pregnant with Greg.”

Clark opens his mouth to say something, but words were failing him at the moment. Finally he says, “Come here,” patting the spot next to him on the bed. “It’s true that we had to get married. But it’s also true that we loved each other. We were going to get married after college, but then we found out we were going to have Greg.”

“So you really were going to get married?” looking up at his father with hopeful eyes.

“Of course we were,” resting his hand on Peter’s shoulder and giving him a reassuring squeeze.

“Okay, but can you tell me what she meant about wanting to leave long before she actually did? Did Uncle Lex have something to do with it?”

“Uncle Lex?” Clark asks in a slightly nervous tone. “What makes you think that he had something to do with her leaving?”

“She wrote all kinds of stuff about him in the journal.”

“What did she say?”

“She said that Uncle Lex is the only person who ever really understood her. Stuff like that.” He pauses for a moment. “Why did you tell us that we were never to see him again or even talk about him after Mom died?” cocking his head and looking up at his father with a wondering expression on his face.

Clark walks over to the window; resting his hand on the window sill and staring out at the rain for a few moments. “I was hoping that you would be a little bit older before we had this conversation,” he sighs a little before turning around. “Your Uncle Lex is the reason why your mother left us that night.”

“What did Uncle Lex do?” Peter asks with a confused expression on his face.

I have to put this as delicately as possible, Clark thinks to himself.

“Dad?”

He gives himself a mental shake. “Your mother and I were having some difficulties in our marriage and she turned to your Uncle Lex because she needed someone to talk to.”

“What’s wrong with that?”

He gets a sad look in his eyes as he sits down on the floor and leans back against the bed. “There’s nothing wrong with needing someone to talk to, but then Uncle Lex did a bad thing and took advantage of the situation.”

“What did he do?” Peter asks next.

“He became closer to your Mom than he should have.”

“How close?” Peter asks as he slides off the bed and sits down next to him.

“They became close in the kind of way that’s only supposed to happen between two people who are in a committed relationship like your Mom and I was,” he replies.

“I still don’t understand.”

“I know you don’t,” he says and turns to look down at him. “Maybe someday when you’re older you will.”

“Does Greg know?”

Clark nods his head. “He figured it out a couple years ago.” They sit there for a few minutes in the quiet. “So you can super-speed now?” cocking his brow quizzically. “When did that happen?”

“About a week ago,” Peter replies. “I was running towards the barn when I suddenly found myself running faster than I ever had before. Before I knew it, I found myself in Metropolis.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” a look of disappointment on Clark’s face.

“I dunno,” shrugging his shoulders.

“I’m sure you meant to say I don’t know,” correcting him. “So is there anything else I should know that you haven’t told me?”

“Nope,” shaking his head back and forth. “That’s everything.”

“Good,” says Clark as they both stand up. “You do know that I have to punish you for breaking the rules, don’t you?”

“Yes,” hanging his head.

“Don’t you mean Yes, Sir?”

“Yes, Sir,” Peter nodding his head up and down. “So what’s my punishment?”

“You will be grounded for a week starting tomorrow morning. In that time, you will do ALL the dishes, take full responsibility for Shelby, and milk the cows every day.”

“That doesn’t sound so bad,” looking relieved.

Without using your super-speed,” Clark adds with a barely concealed grin at Peter’s sudden crestfallen face. “In addition, you will only be allowed one hour of computer time each day as well as one hour of television. I suggest you think very carefully about what program you really want to watch. Now let’s go downstairs,” walking to the bedroom door. “After all, you have an apology to make,” holding the door open for Peter.

“Yes, Sir,” he says with a sigh as he steps out into the hall and heads for the stairs.

“Peter?”

He turns around. “What?”

“Super-speed is amazing isn’t it?” Clark smiles back at him.

“It sure is,” returning the smile as he goes down the stairs.

Kids, rolling his eyes as he follows Peter downstairs.

A few hours later in the middle of the night…

Clark touches down behind the barn and goes inside, then quickly spins out of his costume and into his night clothes. He super-speeds through the rain and heads over to the house and goes upstairs to use the bathroom. When he’s finished, he starts to walk past his room to go back downstairs when he happens to glance through the opened door. He quietly walks inside and kneels down besides the bed to gaze at Lois’ sleeping form.

He smiles softly as he lightly strokes her hair. His hand stills when she begins to stir, so he quickly stands up and walks over to the door.

“Why’d you stop?” Lois murmurs sleepily as she stifles a yawn and stretches her arms up above her head.

He turns around. “I didn’t mean to wake you,” he says; still standing in the doorway.

“I was awake but I had my eyes closed when I heard you come in. I guess the couch is not all that comfortable to sleep on is it,” she remarks.

“You’d be surprised how comfortable it is,” he replies as he walks back over and sits down on the edge of the bed. “I slept on it for the last three months of my marriage.”

“Three months? That’s nothing. Try six months,” she replies with a snort.

“Six? You slept on the couch for six months?” looking down at her incredulously.

“Not me silly,” lightly punching his shoulder. “Wes.”

“Oh,” he nods understandingly.

“So where did you go?” she changes the subject. At the surprised look on his face, she adds, “I heard the front door creaking, then I heard you coming up the stairs.”

Someday soon I’ll tell her everything and I won’t have to lie anymore, he thinks to himself. Out loud he says, “I went to the barn,” he quickly replies.

“So what kind of mischief were you up to in the barn?” she asks in a teasing tone.

“None because you weren’t there,” he teases right back. “When I can’t sleep or I have a problem, I like to work on my father’s old tractor. Having something physical to do helps me relax and think things through.”

“I can understand that,” she replies. “Do you want to know what I like to do to relax?”

“Sure,” he replies.

She props herself up on one elbow. “I know it sounds like a cliché, but I enjoy a nice relaxing bubble bath.”

“I don’t think it’s a cliché at all,” he responds with a smile.

“Of course I don’t have too many chances to take one,” she says with a sigh. “Four girls and one bathroom. You do the math.” She looks up at him. “You’re lucky you have a bathroom all to yourself. I’m sooo jealous.”

He sighs a little. “My late wife insisted that we install it. She used to like to take bubble baths, so she didn’t want the boys interrupting her ‘alone’ time. Towards the end of our marriage, she was ‘alone’ a lot if you know what I mean.”

Lois quirks one brow at him. “I thought her and Lex---”

“That too,” a touch of anger appearing in his voice.

She crawls over and kneels down behind him. “You seem a little tense all of a sudden,” she says softly as she begins to rub his shoulders. “How’s that feel? Is that better?”

“Mmm, much better,” his head dropping down.

“Good,” her hot breath tickling his neck.

“That really hits the spot,” he mumbles as her hands move down to his upper back.

She happens to look over his shoulder while massaging his back and suppresses a grin as she says, “I spy with my little eye, something that begins with C.”

His eyes pop wide open at the hint of suggestion in her voice. “Uh…Lois…”

Yes?” she whispers in a drawl as her hands move down to his lower back.

“I’m feeling much better,” his voice cracking a little as he abruptly gets up and goes into the bathroom and slams the door shut.

She gets out of bed when she hears the shower turn on. “Are you okay, Smallville?” knocking on the door.

Clark leans back against the shower wall with his eyes closed while the cold water rains upon his naked body. I wish I had some Green-K right about now. “I’m fine,” he calls out.

“Are you sure?” she asks while leaning against the wall. I wish I could see through these walls right now. Is there such a thing as x-ray vision?

“I’m sure,” he answers. “You should go back to bed.”

“Okay,” she says and goes back to bed; a satisfied grin on her face as she closes her eyes and falls asleep to images of a wet naked Clark. A few minutes later she’s suddenly awakened by the sound of thunder and lighting.

“Mommy! Mommy!” Cindy cries out as she runs into the room and jumps onto the bed.

“It’s okay, sweetie,” she envelopes her daughter into her arms. “Mommy’s here,” holding her snuggly.

“Daddy! Daddy!” Bobby also running into the room, but he stops short when he sees Lois and Cindy. “Where’s Daddy?” a worried look on his face.

“Right here, son,” Clark says as he comes out of the bathroom fully dressed and drying off his hair with a towel, then tossing it into the laundry basket that’s located in a corner of the bedroom.

Bobby turns and runs into his father’s outstretched arms. Clark lifts him up and holds him against his chest. “You’re not scared are you?” holding him closely.

“No,” burying his head in the juncture between Clark’s neck and shoulder.

“It’s okay to be scared,” Clark whispers as he rocks him back and forth. “Daddy gets scared too sometimes,” he adds as he walks over to the bed and sits down on the edge of it with Bobby on his lap.

“Really?” Bobby sniffles and raises his head to look up at his father.

“Really,” he answers with a smile and looks over at Cindy. “Are you okay?” he asks her.

She nods her head and turns her head to look up at her mother. “Sing me the favorite’s song,” she whispers.

“The favorite’s song?” Clark looks at her curiously.

“It’s the song that always calms Cindy down on a night like this,” she answers as she looks down at her daughter’s pleading eyes. “Okay,” she says. “Would you like to hear it too, Bobby?”

Bobby looks first at his father, then at Lois. “Uh huh,” nodding his head.

“Why don’t you come over here then?” patting the spot on the bed next to her.

He crawls over and sits next to her while Clark sits on the other side of him and wraps his arm around Bobby’s shoulders.

“Are you ready?” Lois asks them.

“Ready,” the two of them say in unison as Lois takes a deep breath and begins to sing.

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
    Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
    Brown paper packages tied up with strings
    These are a few of my favorite things

“That’s from The sound of Music, isn’t it?” Clark asks between verses. Lois nods her head as she sings in a soft yet lyrical voice.

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels
    Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
    Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings

“You have a lovely voice,” Clark looks over at her with a smile as she continues to sing.

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
    Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
    Silver white winters that melt into springs

Both Bobby and Cindy close their eyes as Lois sings the last verse.

When the dog bites
    When the bee stings
    When I'm feeling sad
    I simply remember my favorite things
    And then I don't feel so bad

Clark looks down at the two kids sleeping. “Looks like it worked,” he says.

“It always does,” she quips as she carefully puts Cindy down on the bed next to Bobby, then laying her own head down on the pillow and closing her eyes once more.

Clark gets up only to shut off the light, then returns to the bed and lies down next to Bobby. “Good night,” he mumbles as he drifts off to sleep. “I love you.”

Lois’ eyes pop open at what Clark had just said. He loves me? She looks over at him with a surprised expression on her face. Did we reach that stage and I didn’t even know it? she wonders as she lays her head back on the pillow. Most importantly, do I love him? she asks herself as she closes her eyes. Saying I love you is a big deal. I haven’t said ‘I love you’ since Wes. She’s broken out of her rambling thoughts when she hears a small voice.

“I love you too, Daddy.”

TO BE CONTINUED...

A/N: For the purpose of this story, there are three bedrooms and two bathrooms on the second floor.

Here is the link to Chapter 24

I spy
    is a guessing game usually played in families with young children, partly to assist in both observation and in alphabet familiarity. I spy is often played as a car game.

One person starts by choosing an object (a cow, for example) and says "I spy with my little eye, something beginning with C" or simply "I spy something beginning with C." The other players look around and suggest things it might be: "Crow" (no), "Car" (no), "Cloud" (no), "Cow" - yes. The person who guesses correctly often gets to choose the next object.

When played in a car, the group playing may need to decide beforehand what to do about items that are no longer visible (the field with the cows is a mile back - usually permitted but the person choosing the object has to say "I can't see it any more" and "I can see it now"). Sometimes items within the car are excluded.

My favorite things (from The Sound of Music)

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels
    Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
    Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings

When the dog bites
    When the bee stings
    When I'm feeling sad

When the dog bites
    When the bee stings
    When I'm feeling sad
    Last edited by gem65; 12-14-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Incurable Postaholic bigvillir001's Avatar
    wow I have missed this story it comes back with a great update more

Oh lord, where do I start?

I love Lois and Clark making out on the couch. The little snippet with the movies was funny, and nicely done.

Hmm, I did have to wonder at Peter's reaction to Lois and Clark's making out, but the bit about finding Lana's journal explained it. As for Clark's explanation of what happened, that was nicely done. At least he managed to explain things without making Lana out to be the 'bad guy' in this situation to his son, although I hate to think how Peter's going to feel when he realises his mom cheated on his dad.

Clark handled that whole situation and the punishment really well. He gives his kids limits, with good reason.

Hmm, Clark sneaking into the bedroom when Lois is asleep? It's going to be hard for the two of them to have any intimacy with the kids around, but I'm sure they'll work it out.

As for the kids coming in and the song Lois uses to calm them down, that was really nice. And the ending was sweet. I wonder how long it will be before those two make a declaration.

Great chapter hon.

What better way to know that your dad likes his new girlfriend than to see it with own eyes

So sweet at the end

Ppms!

The end, where Lois was singing to Bobby and Cindy was perfect, too perfect and it was funny and good, that Lois was thinking if she loves Clark.....
    I was really close to pulling my hair, when Greg was acting like a brat but when I understood what was going on, it was really sad and i would really like to know what's up with Lex....

Great update and continue when you can

Quote Originally Posted by bigvillir001 View Post
    wow I have missed this story it comes back with a great update more
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Clois4ever<3 View Post
    What better way to know that your dad likes his new girlfriend than to see it with own eyes

So sweet at the end

Ppms!
    I'm just a sucker for something sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by MariVe View Post
    The end, where Lois was singing to Bobby and Cindy was perfect, too perfect and it was funny and good, that Lois was thinking if she loves Clark.....
    I was really close to pulling my hair, when Greg was acting like a brat but when I understood what was going on, it was really sad and i would really like to know what's up with Lex....

Great update and continue when you can
    The Sound of Music is one of my favorite movies. I always loved that scene when Maria is singing to the kids. As for Greg being a brat, well, it wasn't Greg. It was Peter.

This was the second time that I've mentioned Lex in the story, but both references are about something that took place in the past at least four years previously - which is how long Lana has been dead. Whether or not Lex will appear in the present remains to be seen.

Glad you enjoyed the update.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixnz View Post
    Oh lord, where do I start?

I love Lois and Clark making out on the couch. The little snippet with the movies was funny, and nicely done.
    It was the recliner, my friend.

The stuff about Caddyshack was directly taken from real life. Mr. 'S' couldn't believe that I didn't think that Caddyshack wasn't all that funny. As for the Stooges? I never really cared for them, but he does. He has a number of pictures on the wall in his bunker.

Hmm, I did have to wonder at Peter's reaction to Lois and Clark's making out, but the bit about finding Lana's journal explained it. As for Clark's explanation of what happened, that was nicely done. At least he managed to explain things without making Lana out to be the 'bad guy' in this situation to his son, although I hate to think how Peter's going to feel when he realises his mom cheated on his dad.
    I went over this particular part a lot and I'm happy that you feel it worked. As for Peter, well, he'll probably realize it when he's a little older.

Clark handled that whole situation and the punishment really well. He gives his kids limits, with good reason.
    I didn't want Clark to be too strict considering the circumstances, but he still had to dole out the punishment because Peter did break the rules.

Hmm, Clark sneaking into the bedroom when Lois is asleep? It's going to be hard for the two of them to have any intimacy with the kids around, but I'm sure they'll work it out.
    Yeah, it will be difficult to have intimacy with six kids around, but like you said they'll work it out. This is Clark and Lois after all.

As for the kids coming in and the song Lois uses to calm them down, that was really nice. And the ending was sweet. I wonder how long it will be before those two make a declaration.

Great chapter hon.
    I loved the idea of Lois singing the song. I thought about bringing in the older kids too, but decided it was a little more intimate with just the two littlest kids.

As for when the two of them will make that declaration? I really don't know when it'll happen. Heck, it took twenty-one chapters before they kissed.

Glad you loved the chapter.

this chapter was a delight my friend. I had so much fun reading it. The make out session, the discussion about the movies (i agree Caddyshack may be a classic but for me is not funny hehehe) the girls, the boys. The whole package!! and the last part, with favorite things (from one of my all time favorite movies )
    I already told you that but i will say it again, this one is my favorite of yours stories right now and i love when there's a new update
    And my advice for them is that they must find someone to watch over their kids so can they can have a time just for themselves... we can see they need some alone time

Quote Originally Posted by cathy14 View Post
    this chapter was a delight my friend. I had so much fun reading it. The make out session, the discussion about the movies (i agree Caddyshack may be a classic but for me is not funny hehehe) the girls, the boys. The whole package!! and the last part, with favorite things (from one of my all time favorite movies )
    The Sound of Music is one of my all-time favorite movies too. As for Caddyshack, I agree with you. My boyfriend was really surprised that I didn't think it was funny.

I already told you that but i will say it again, this one is my favorite of yours stories right now and i love when there's a new update And my advice for them is that they must find someone to watch over their kids so can they can have a time just for themselves... we can see they need some alone time.
    I remember you saying that and thank you for saying it again.

PS: They really do need some alone time. I'm not sure when that'll happen though. You'll just have to wait and see.
    Last edited by gem65; 04-18-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Going where I want instead of where I should
    Jeez MaryEllen, what has gotten into you with this long update? I thought I was reviewing one of my chapters for a moment

On to the review

I liked the debate about movie night. Clark was about to get his man card revoked by suggesting Titanic but thankfully Lois saved him. I understand why he did it but the titanic of all movies? I was glad to see he came to his senses and suggested a timeless classic like Caddyshack or the Stooges. Who doesn't like the scene where the judge is christening his boat and al cervik capsizes it with his boat.

Uh-oh, their make out session was witnessed by Peter and he is so disturbed by this event he forgets his soda. Btw, l liked the warrior angel reference.

I think you wrote the scene with Greg and Peter really well. I liked that Greg told him about what he witnessed between his parents and seeing Lois and their Father kissing was a good thing because it showed they liked each other.

On the other hand, Greg probably should have told his Dad right away that Peter went for a run to protect him

I kinda felt bad for clark getting blocked by Lois reminding him the kids are upstairs. It was a good call considering how bad Peter was tramatized by seeing them kiss

Clark is such a white knight insisting to let her stay because of the coming rain storm. She didn't put up much resistance which is telling me that night time is the right time. the text was funny

I thought the scene with Clark and the girls was nice. He seems to have charmed them except for Janet. I think it must be the nature of the middle kid to be rebellous.

I was amused at Greg using Lois as a shield to spare him from the wrath of Clark.Well played Greg.

Wow, Peter is quite the rebel and now it makes sense why. i can't believe lana would put into words that see wanted to leave Clark before he was born. Clark has some serious damage control to do and does a great job explaining they got married before they were ready because Greg was on the way.

I thought Clark was out of the woods then Peter drops a kryptonite bomb on his dad. I thought Clark handled the conversation with Peter about Lex about as good as he could and i liked the transition into something positive like superspeed.

It was good to see that Clark didn't let him off the hook and disciplined him.

It looks like they are about to have their moment when the rain storm scares the small kids and they have guests in the bed.

I liked that Lois knew a song would comfort the kids. It wasn't soft kitty but it worked.

I liked the way you ended it. It worked really well

looking forward to the next update

Steve, thank you for the wonderful long review. I'd give you a proper response now, but I seriously need a break from commenting on stories right now. I just finally commented on Leanne's Illuminati story and that took me close to an hour to do because it was so long. I'll try to do it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by cygnusx1 View Post
    Jeez MaryEllen, what has gotten into you with this long update? I thought I was reviewing one of my chapters for a moment

On to the review
    I was influenced by how long the chapters are in my boyfriends story. It's funny how much you remind me of him.

I liked the debate about movie night. Clark was about to get his man card revoked by suggesting Titanic but thankfully Lois saved him. I understand why he did it but the titanic of all movies? I was glad to see he came to his senses and suggested a timeless classic like Caddyshack or the Stooges. Who doesn't like the scene where the judge is christening his boat and al cervik capsizes it with his boat.
    I loved the movie Titanic so of course Clark would love it in my story. I still don't care for Caddyshack or the Stooges.

Uh-oh, their make out session was witnessed by Peter and he is so disturbed by this event he forgets his soda. Btw, l liked the warrior angel reference.
    I wanted Greg to be reading something - and since he's still a kid, why not a comic book.

I think you wrote the scene with Greg and Peter really well. I liked that Greg told him about what he witnessed between his parents and seeing Lois and their Father kissing was a good thing because it showed they liked each other.

On the other hand, Greg probably should have told his Dad right away that Peter went for a run to protect him
    I'm glad you liked how I wrote it. I felt that Peter would have been too young to remember, but felt that Greg would.

I kinda felt bad for clark getting blocked by Lois reminding him the kids are upstairs. It was a good call considering how bad Peter was traumatized by seeing them kiss

Clark is such a white knight insisting to let her stay because of the coming rain storm. She didn't put up much resistance which is telling me that night time is the right time. the text was funny
    I didn't want Peter traumatized more than he already was. There were several versions of the text before I settled on the one that I was most happy with.

I thought the scene with Clark and the girls was nice. He seems to have charmed them except for Janet. I think it must be the nature of the middle kid to be rebellous.
    I think you're right. It must be the middle child syndrome.

I was amused at Greg using Lois as a shield to spare him from the wrath of Clark. Well played Greg.
    He's pretty smart for a ten year old.

Wow, Peter is quite the rebel and now it makes sense why. i can't believe lana would put into words that see wanted to leave Clark before he was born. Clark has some serious damage control to do and does a great job explaining they got married before they were ready because Greg was on the way.
    I'm glad that it made sense. I spent a lot of time on this section in particular so I'm glad that it worked.

I thought Clark was out of the woods then Peter drops a kryptonite bomb on his dad. I thought Clark handled the conversation with Peter about Lex about as good as he could and i liked the transition into something positive like superspeed.

It was good to see that Clark didn't let him off the hook and disciplined him.
    I put in the line about super-speed at the last minute. I wanted there to be something positive in the middle of all the negative stuff. Clark had to discipline him. I hope I didn't make it too harsh.

It looks like they are about to have their moment when the rain storm scares the small kids and they have guests in the bed.
    They'll have their moment sooner or later. When it does, it WON'T be in the AFF. Sorry...NOT!

I liked that Lois knew a song would comfort the kids. It wasn't soft kitty but it worked.
    Soft Kitty is a cute song. I think I'll use it in a future chapter.

I liked the way you ended it. It worked really well

looking forward to the next update
    I'm glad you liked how it ended. I had a tiny bit of help on it. Thanks, sweetie.

Congratulations on being nominated in the category Best WIP - Fiction in the Smallville Fandom Creativity Awards

Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546474849 ... LastLast