No announcement yet.

Plotholes in "Tabula Rasa"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plotholes in "Tabula Rasa"

Here are a few. Not sure if these are all actually plotholes or whether there are actually good or reasonable explanations for them...if there are, feel free to provide some. (And yes, I realize that a lot of this is just for the purposes of story convenience/plot devices--so no need to go there. heh)

1. According to Noah, Claire's blood would not only NOT heal or cure a person with cancer, it would make the cancer worse (because "regeneration" would cause the cancer to "grow faster" apparently). But shouldn't the act of regenerating/restoring Claire's body to a healthy/working or its original state, which is what Claire's ability basically accomplishes (directly or indirectly), include removing or at least limiting the spread of abnormal/harmful growths or over-growths that are gradually killing the body, such as cancerous growths? And if this isn't the case, consider that it is said that healthy people's bodies constantly develop cancer (or cancerous growths) throughout their lives, but their bodies constantly fight it off or limit it. But according to Noah, her blood would cause cancerous growths to spread/multiple even quicker. If this is the case, Claire's body (and Adam before her), should be over-run/filled with cancerous cells by this point. But her power is keeping the cancer from killing her, I guess? So if her power is ever shut off, she should drop dead immediately from death due to cancer I assume? lol Stay away from the Haitian, Claire. Stay away.

2. How did Peter accidentally end up in the bathroom when he teleported? He said it's because it's been a long time since he teleported, implying himself to be rusty. But how can a power like that have room for error? I mean "rustiness" to me with such an ability could mean accidentally ending up in a wall, or a few feet underground. Not just showing up in the wrong room of a house. The teleporting power has been shown in the past to seemingly be guided by some higher power or have some self-guiding intelligence to it, taking Hiro to where he "needed" to be on occasion. For it to drop Peter in the wrong place now because it's "been a while" seems silly to me.

3. Since I'm in total nerd mode already might as well take it to the next nerdy level: Speaking of teleporting, this isn't limited to this episode of course, but doesn't instantly appearing in a given spot mean the existing air molecules are still there (ie. no time for them to move)? When we normally move to another spot, our body displaces or pushes aside the air molecules. But if appearance is instant, shouldn't Peter's body and the air be instantly combined, or shouldn't it be inside every part of his body? An act of God no doubt that this doesn't happen? But, what god, I mean Peter accidentally wound up in the bathroom...lol. Maybe Peter "trades places" with the air molecules, and the air goes to where he left? Or maybe the air does indeed get pushed aside by the incoming mass, but it does so very quickly, meaning the traveler's appearance only seems instantaneous?

Fellow nerds? Little help?
    Last edited by Xanderman; 10-20-2009, 01:34 AM.

yeah but you know what? I don't care; I really don't. For the first time in two years, I've enjoyed watching heroes, and while it's hit marks of mediocrity, it's completely forgiveable; I'm expecting a lot of renegs because it's something the show desperately needs if it's to survive - it needs a new villain, because let's face it - chasing sylar is getting kind of boring to watch, and claire needs to be less annoying.

Comment

Claire's blood not working makes sense in the fact that when it has been used before, it has been used to cure diseases and bullet wounds. Cancer is a totally different animal since it grows in the body and has been in the body for a long time. We also don't know what type of virus was given in season two that Claire's blood stopped it. I didn't mind the teleport thing since it was funny to see Peter trying to get acquainted with his old powers again. I always imagined teleportation as imagining you are somewhere and being there. I don't think its that precise in the Heroes since Hiro and Peter both look around to where they teleport to see if they came even close. Teleporting is one of those things where I am shocked someone doesn't pop up into a wall or into another person, I just let it go. I thought the episoded was pretty tight and it looks like cosmic reset is in motion.

Comment

I didn't mind the teleport thing, it was funny, lol. But the Claire's blood suddenly not being able to heal anything but herself is beyond old. HRG is alive because of it, a weak version of the shanti virus has a cure because of it, Nathan isn't fwaked up from Peter going nuclear because of Adams blood and I think Adam even cured one of his wives cancer or some other disease with his blood too.

As a whole, I liked this ep the best of the season so far. Just wish next weaks Claire heavy ep looked good... I'm really not looking forward to that one. It looks like it's trying to rip of that crappy horror movie with the soriety girls... even though I'm pretty sure that movie tanked in the box office so why the hell they are doing an "homage" to it is beyond me. lol

Comment

Originally posted by RedPhoenix23
          I didn't mind the teleport thing, it was funny, lol. But the Claire's blood suddenly not being able to heal anything but herself is beyond old. HRG is alive because of it, a weak version of the shanti virus has a cure because of it, Nathan isn't fwaked up from Peter going nuclear because of Adams blood and I think Adam even cured one of his wives cancer or some other disease with his blood too.

As a whole, I liked this ep the best of the season so far. Just wish next weaks Claire heavy ep looked good... I'm really not looking forward to that one. It looks like it's trying to rip of that crappy horror movie with the soriety girls... even though I'm pretty sure that movie tanked in the box office so why the hell they are doing an "homage" to it is beyond me. lol
          Yeah I agree. That episode looks pretty terrible.

Comment

I...actually think heroes is sucking less because claire doesn't seem to be in it so much. I really hope the cheerleader gets killed off, because it's what it needs to make this show interesting again.

Comment

I can answer the 3rd, Hiro's ability allows him to bend/fold time a space. So basically the air molecules, from their perspective, stay in the same place until Peter "pops in".

Comment

Originally posted by ReevesSuperman
                Cancer is a totally different animal since it grows in the body and has been in the body for a long time.
                Right, but like I said bodies develop cancerous growths constantly, but healthy people fight them off or limit their growth/spread before they become a problem. However, Claire's blood apparently causes an acceleration of such growths. This should mean Claire/Adam are/were walking cancer factories, with bodies kept alive/working only because of that same blood (meaning the blood is both harming their bodies by promoting the growth/spread of cancerous cells but keeping them from dying from it at the same time). So if their power is ever turned off or the blood stops working for whatever reason, they should drop dead, no? (Actually, thinking about it more, it probably depends on the "type" of cancer cell we're dealing with. I'm no expert on this stuff, but anyway...if Claire's blood regenerates "benign" tumors, they should stay just that, benign and grow no further or to a limit. If the cells are malignant, however, they are programmed to continue to grow/divide uncontrollably, and while parts of the body might try to fight them off/limit them, the blood acts against this by regenerating them and thus accelerating their rate of spread. So perhaps not really a plothole afterall. Still, this means if Claire ever did get a malignant growth, her blood wouldn't help her. I suppose though that her body's health is kept so high by the blood, that the chances of such things developing are slim?)

I think Adam even cured one of his wives cancer or some other disease with his blood too.
                If they really said cancer then this most definitely was a plothole here...

Originally posted by kryptonhero25
                Yeah I agree. That episode looks pretty terrible.
                Looked bad to me too.

Originally posted by thedarknight
                I can answer the 3rd, Hiro's ability allows him to bend/fold time a space. So basically the air molecules, from their perspective, stay in the same place until Peter "pops in".
                Alright, but what happens to them when he does pop in? Do you mean the air gets "beamed" away from the space at the same time his body beams into it? Like an "automatic" sort of thing that happens that they don't have to think about, allowing the transport to work without harming the person? (ie. it's connected to how the ability automatically functions)
                Last edited by Xanderman; 10-20-2009, 11:31 PM.

Comment

I don't remember if it was for sure cancer and I'm too lazy to dig for the graphic novel to check, lol. But she was sick and in a moment of desperation, he injected her blood into her and it cured her. After that he stayed with her till she died an old withered woman.

Comment

I don't remember if it was for sure cancer and I'm too lazy to dig for the graphic novel to check, lol. But she was sick and in a moment of desperation, he injected her blood into her and it cured her. After that he stayed with her till she died an old withered woman.
                    Hmm, I wonder why he didn't give her regular injections to keep her young and healthy forever, or at least give her a longer lifespan... Plot hole? Yup. lol For that matter, I'm surprised Noah isn't taking daily "Claire blood" injections to keep himself healthy/strong and revitalized. You know what that is, don't you. Yep, plothole. heh (Throw away the milk and cereal, old man, you've got "red gold" right under your nose.)
                    Last edited by Xanderman; 10-20-2009, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Commitment issues? Maybe he couldn't handle being married if he knew she'd live as long as he did and gee, how could he break it off if it meant she'd stop getting his blood and be forced to die... factor in how HE died in season three - that's pretty awful.

Comment

I think the all Claire blood explanation is a lame ass excuse
                        For the writers not wanting Claire's blood to be a quick fix
                        To every injury or sickness.
                        It does not make any sense we have seen Claire blood
                        Protect her from a nuclear radiation which causes cancer
                        And now suddenly her power is no good
                        not to mention it even brought her father back from the dead.
                        (the chimps are at it again)
                        But at least they gave an excuse for once
                        And not just make all the good guys retarded as usual
                        And ignore even the possibility of using Clair's blood

Comment

Originally posted by TheManOfTommrow2
                          Uhhh...you think it was a worse idea than introducing it in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by TheManOfTommrow2
                            too late - they already introduced the concept and have used it repeatedly.
                            you can't just change the rules CONSTANTLY and expect people to watch this stuff.

And they aren't. Check the ratings.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎