Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oliver would rather kill himself than go to jail for murdering Lex Luthor?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oliver would rather kill himself than go to jail for murdering Lex Luthor?

I like that oliver is feeling guilt about "murdering" lex but we KNOW that he is not actually dead. I would be so much more invested in this storyline if it wasn't a complete shambles. I liked it better when lex was "missing' because i could at least understand that.

I know what you mean. It's hard for me to accept this storyline because I don't feel sympathy for Lex - maybe if it was Jimmy or losing Tess or Lois.

For some reason, I was ready for some kid to run into the scene and scream "REDRUM" to Oliver. I think it was just too much for Oliver to feel regret over someone evil.

Comment

I liked it. The effect on the whole scene was great.

Comment

I know tptb said that Lex isn't dead, but there's absolutely no evidence on the show that he's not. I agree that his murder seems too anticlimatic because you know he'll eventually come back somehow. And I agree that it's hard to believe Oliver feels as much guilt over Lex as they're trying to say. Considering the way everyone on this show reactions to deaths, for me this season almost seems too much. When Lana supposedly blew up there wasn't all this grief, when Chloe supposedly blew up in the safehouse it brought Lois to town and she shed a few tears, but Clark wasn't all that tore up, and after Alicia died Clark was upset until the next episode. No one showed any remorse when Lionel died, or when Lex went missing. It was all, 'Clark you better find him and make sure he doesn't spread your secret around' so for Ollie to be upset over this almost a whole season later just seems too much for the way this show has been written in the past. I feel like it's just an excuse to keep Lex's presence/memory alive on the show. It's the same with showing pictures of Lana and mentioning her all the time, but never hearing anything about Martha or Pete.

Comment

Oliver would rather kill himself than go to jail for murdering Lex Luthor?

So we know with certainty now that Oliver planted the toy bomb that was found alongside Lex's remains in order to frame Toyman for killing Lex; when Oliver was responsible for it...

What's surprising was that Oliver would rather kill himself (when he stepped off the platform) than admit he's a murderer and pay for his crime...

This also isn't the first time Clark has harbored a known murderer without reporting him to the authorities (he did the same with Lionel even though he knew about the many people Lionel killed).

Personally I cant see any other way for Oliver to redeem himself than to admit to his crime and serve his time under the law.

For him to go back to being a superhero without coming clean about what he did would just be hypocritical.

What does everyone think?

Comment

I thought the same thing, but I think it underscores Oliver's cowardice at this moment. I don't think it is just about depression, but like Clark intimidated in his final talk with Oliver, it is about the fears Oliver has about who he is and what he is becoming.

I think they'll take the easy way out of this moral dilemma by either having Lex resurface or possibly by following the comics and creating their own version of [SPOILER]the death and rebirth of Oliver Queen in "Quiver"[/SPOILER]. They may also be setting this up to follow the old-school comic arc that really transformed the character [SPOILER] wherein Oliver lost his fortune and became a real Robin Hood figure among the urban poor[/SPOILER].

I don't think they'll have him serve time for the crime, but who knows? I hope they don't allow Oliver to keep framing Toyman, however.

Comment

When Ollie stepped off the platform, it was after all the people had left. Admitting it then would have been in front of no one... he didn't step of the platform out of fear or denial or stubborness... he did it simply because the words he had been forced to speak, and the elements of truth in them, had filled him with enough self hatred to simply want to die.

It was a suicide attempt, it was Ollie hitting his absolute all time lowest. And it was not only believable but incredibly well acted and written. I found his little heart felt chat with Clark afterwards gave us the kind of insight and connection into Ollie that we never get with Clark. A real sense of his vulnerability as a very insecure man.

I think he truly can come back though. When he realises that the only thing he has ever done with his life that really felt right, that really helped people was being the Green Arrow then he'll be back on form. When he remembers that who he IS is a hero, maybe he'll done the green once more.

As for him paying for his crimes, since we know that Lex Luthor appears in Superman's future, we know he isn't dead. So perhaps when Oliver finds out about this, he will strive to bring Lex to Justice through the proper channels, and it'll also drive him to stick to a 'no kill' rule from then on.

Comment

For the purposes of Smallville however, Lex is dead and Oliver killed him.

Ollie can't just hold out hope that Lex will one day resurface (especially considering there's no evidence to indicate Lex didn't die). He has to pay for murdering Lex in cold blood... otherwise every time Green Arrow takes on killers and murderers, he'll be a hypocrite.

It's a very ugly corner he's been written into.

Comment

Well the only thing he can do, is deal with being a hypocrite. Which is possible IMO. He made a mistake... he can either sit around punishing himself, or throw himself in jail and be punished by the system, or he can get back in the game and start making up for his mistake by giving of himself to help people again.

So what if he's guilty of murder, in terms of stopping rapes and murders from actually happening on the street. He'd still be doing good things, whether hypocritical or not. It's not like the moment you've killed someone you can't possibly have the right to do anything good ever again.

Comment

If you kill someone in cold blood, you generally should admit your crime and face the consequences if you want redemption.

It raises a lot of moral questions of the ends justifying the means and whatnot when Oliver decides to go back to being Green Arrow.

I guess TPTB wanted to turn Oliver into an imperfect hero to contrast him with Clark. I just wasn't happy with cold blooded murder as the means to do it.

Comment

I feel the same way, Ollie must give himself to the cops and take responsability of what he did (or he believe he did). It doesn't matter if Lex is alive, he is still a murderer, a crappy one, but a murderer. He tried to kill Lex in "Bride" and "Requiem", if he didn't kill Lex it wasn't because he didn't make that choice, is just because he sucks big time killing people. In order to redeem Ollie, and selling him as a future hero, he has to pay. And regret is not paying, if he feels THAT bad about what he did... go to the police. It's the same that I felt about Davis, the moment he learnt that he was the one killing people and didn't give himself to police, he became guilty in my eyes, not an inocent anymore.

Comment

mm the way I see it, it just shows how oliver is still so messed up that he was willing to kill himself and just let it go and 'quit' instead of standing there and saying the truth. It shows he's not himself at the moment and he needs to fix up.

However he could of not said it and moved off the platform so he doesn't give toyman the satisfaction of winning the game.

Either way I was pleased with this episode, after last weeks episode I didn't expect too much from it.

Comment

This also isn't the first time Clark has harbored a known murderer without reporting him to the authorities (he did the same with Lionel even though he knew about the many people Lionel killed).
                          Clark knows Ollie killed Lex...Ollie knows Clark is the Blur...Checkmate. No one is telling what they know. What would happen if they spilled the beans. Ollie would get life in prison. Clark would be tested on as an alien. Mums the word.

Comment

Originally posted by celita
                            I feel the same way, Ollie must give himself to the cops and take responsability of what he did (or he believe he did). It doesn't matter if Lex is alive, he is still a murderer, a crappy one, but a murderer. He tried to kill Lex in "Bride" and "Requiem", if he didn't kill Lex it wasn't because he didn't make that choice, is just because he sucks big time killing people.
                            From a legal standpoint, Lex is dead. They recovered poor Lex's body remains from the explosion and the DNA confirmed it was him.

It's full-on murder... and Toyman took the blame.

Whether the TPTB want to clone a new Lex in the future (that doesn't know Clark's secret..... they'll probably end up doing this) is irrelevant to this Lex actually being murdered here.

----- Added 3 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by SnowBird
                            Clark knows Ollie killed Lex...Ollie knows Clark is the Blur...Checkmate. No one is telling what they know. What would happen if they spilled the beans. Ollie would get life in prison. Clark would be tested on as an alien. Mums the word.
                            So Clark is protecting a murderer out of blackmail that Ollie could spill the beans on Clark's secret?

I REALLY hope that's not the reason Clark didn't turn Oliver in.

Then again, Clark has turned in plenty of murderers to the cops who witnessed Clark's powers and could spill the beans.

Conveniently, none of their testimonies have seen the light of day. Go figure.
                            Last edited by Superman of Krypton; 10-17-2009, 06:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Ollie made the choice of killing Lex, he made a plan of how to do it, he followed that plan, and he didn't take responsability for what he did. So... Ollie is guilty, even if Lex is alive, Ollie is guilty because he didn't know it. Lex being alive wouldn't change the fact that Ollie tried to kill him, believed he did for a whole year and even framed someone else for that crime. I like that he is feeling a great remorse, but I won't be happy or proud or whatever of him until he pays for what he did. I won't buy future hero "Green Arrow" if he never faces the consequences for what he did.

But at least he is feeling remorse, it's more than I can say of other characters like Chloe or Lana. (I'm not including Tess in that list because she is suposed to be a bad person anyway, maybe a bad person that it's a Clark's side, but it's not being sold as a hero).

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎