Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too violent; my 7 year old will have to do without Smallville

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Um I don't think this show is meant for kids at all especially a 7 year old I have sister who is 7 years old & she isn't allowed to watch those types of shows so I don't think it is a good reason to have your kid watch this show in the first place no offense especially with the maturity it has with the love scenes & all that I don't know it has never been a PG rated show I am pretty sure you should be at least 13 or 14 to watch this

Comment

• Originally posted by galatians221
      Can't we lift young adults to a higher level than pandering to their base instincts? This is a story about saving people from harm and danger and I'm fine with the fact that bad guys and bad things are involved and some get killed. Is it really that important to see blood gushing out of bodies and decapitations? Are thong panties critical to the storyline? Can't it be done with a little more taste? I'm not even talking about my seven year old any more but rather myself. I love Superman but don't get my jollies watching blood and gore like some evidently do. This world is falling in love with darkness and evil and is more interested in those things than in goodness and heroism and good winning out over evil. More evil please seems to be the mantra. It's not necessary imho.
      I agree with you, but it is easier to tune out of the culture than to try to change the culture. I am in the world, but not of the world.

If Smallville were my baby, it would have gotten canceled after season one because I would have been heavy on the heroism and character development and light on the sex and violence.

It's all about money, and sex (and fear) sells. TV shows are just vehicles for driving consumers to advertizers. Sorry to sound so jaded, but that is how I feel.

Better to read and write our own fan fiction if we want art. What we see on the boob-tube is to get us to buy stuff.

It actually makes me respect TPTB and the production staff more because who knows what the CW wants them to add to the show that TPTB have to put their feet down and say, "Hell, no!"

----- Added 17 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by curiosity
      Yeah, really, if you think Smallville is violent, I definatley wouldn't recommned the newest Batman movie.
      I saw the trailer in the theaters and was so disturbed by it that I knew I could never watch that film. My husband watched it on DVD in the living room and I had to leave because it was too disturbing for me. Look how it messed with Heath Ledger. Exposure to evil leaves a mark on us.

(http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2008...ger_on_jo.html)

I digress. The level of violence on Smallville does not compare to violence on the big screen. Smallville is rated what it is rated so parents can prevent children from that kind of exposure. Meanwhile, the rest of us can enjoy our favorite show every week.
      Last edited by stenochick; 10-16-2009, 06:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Originally posted by kal-el_Girl
        thank you for backing me up here, I know that there are people out there that consider "gore and violent" to be fun, BUT I'm an adult and have never enjoyed that kind of "enterteinment" I love that the show has matured and is dealing with realistic aspects of life BUT here's a question:
        Do Violence means that the show any better? doubtful.
        I have never abandoned this show in its highs or lows and certaintly will not do it now but somehow the show's darkness is getting way too close to Batman than Superman.
        Even Richard Donner will agree that there's got to be comic relief in any Superman Show/movie

Great dark eppy but please less flesh-eating-zombies and more Clark
        I was actually very satisfied with the screentime Clark got in this episode. Another 5 minutes more of him at the expense of Oliver's & Chloe's screentime would have been perfect.

As for the blood & violence, I typically don't mind it in Supernatural since that show from the very beginning was like that, but I agree that in Smallville it doesn't add any value. The best storylines were the ones that didn't have that amount of violence or sex scenes like we have seen since the episode Unsafe. The plots in Shattered, Asylum, Talisman, Exile, and Insurgence come to mind. Those will always be some of the best moments of the show for me. We all know what happened to Zod's scientist at the end, so they didn't need to show it, though I have to say that showing it emphasizes how bad Zod is. Unlike Paris Hilton getting decapitated after being told the way to kill the god that was the villian in last week's Supernatural episode, Fallen Idols, this wasn't expected until the very end when we saw him kneel.

Comment

• Originally posted by xrayvision
          I was actually very satisfied with the screentime Clark got in this episode. Another 5 minutes more of him at the expense of Oliver's & Chloe's screentime would have been perfect.

As for the blood & violence, I typically don't mind it in Supernatural since that show from the very beginning was like that, but I agree that in Smallville it doesn't add any value. The best storylines were the ones that didn't have that amount of violence or sex scenes like we have seen since the episode Unsafe. The plots in Shattered, Asylum, Talisman, Exile, and Insurgence come to mind. Those will always be some of the best moments of the show for me. We all know what happened to Zod's scientist at the end, so they didn't need to show it, though I have to say that showing it emphasizes how bad Zod is. Unlike Paris Hilton getting decapitated after being told the way to kill the god that was the villian in last week's Supernatural episode, Fallen Idols, this wasn't expected until the very end when we saw him kneel.
          All great points. I've re-watched Rabid a few times and have fallen in love with the Clark and Lois scenes as well as the multitude of Clark scenes: the fire scene and it seems there was more about the superside of Clark than any episode we've ever had. I can now fast forward the silly scenes with the infected folks and the Zod and Tess scenes and Gracie will love the scenes between Clark and Lois. She knows she can't see this without me being there. I still feel the same way as I did when I started the thread but I've been able to see the good parts now that I can fast forward past the bad parts.

Comment

• I still think Clark got better screentime in episodes like Shattered than he did here & I loved his heroism in that episode & how it was all Clark doing everything to protect Lex, Chloe & Lana and nobody else (like Ollie, Chloe & Dr. Hamilton were doing in this episode). Clark is supposed to be the only hero, and Shattered did an excellent job portraying that.

Comment

• Originally posted by xrayvision
              I still think Clark got better screentime in episodes like Shattered than he did here & I loved his heroism in that episode & how it was all Clark doing everything to protect Lex, Chloe & Lana and nobody else (like Ollie, Chloe & Dr. Hamilton were doing in this episode). Clark is supposed to be the only hero, and Shattered did an excellent job portraying that.
              I posted similar sentiments in another thread. Back then, the show and all its characters and all its story arcs revolved around Clark. Even in Lex-centric episodes like Shattered, it all came back to Lex's relationship with Clark and the Kent family secret.

I don't think the Kents (and Pete and Chloe for that matter) even had their own story arcs that were separate from Clark.

Comment

• Originally posted by DC Fanboy
                Bring on the violence! That's what Superman's all about!
                Absolutely 100% WRONG! Superman is all about GOOD! Standing up for those who can't stand up for themselves and bringing out the best of people. THAT'S what Superman is all about

As for this very fascinating topic, I completely understand you galatians221. I'm a Christian myself, so I definitely get it. On the other hand, we're living in a different time and place than in the 1970's, when the Christopher Reeve Superman was introduced. Unfortunately, these are darker times and for a kid to be a fan of a hero (even a fictional one) who stands up for the greater good is an amazing thing. But without any violence, the show would lose its realism. There are evil people who commit evil deeds and we are exposed to that on the show, but that's all the more reason for there to be a hero to counteract that evil. But I totally agree that the show really can get carried away with the blood & gore, it's not necessary all the time. I don't believe Smallville is a show that's targeted for young children, but if you're son is really fascinated with Superman, there are the movies and Superman: The Animated Series.

And on the topic of adultery, I can't recall Clark EVER doing something like that so if you could remind me when that happened, let me know, I'm actually curious.

These are horrible times, and it's important for kids to have their own heroes. Superman is a hero everyone can relate to, but just in case you already haven't, introduce him to some of the Biblical Heroes as well. There are many heroes in that book that he can certainly look up to. I really hope you are able to find some kind of solution to all of this

Comment

• i can definitely understand where you're coming from. The show has always been a little "dark" but i would definitely censor it if i had kids. nevertheless, i like how dark this season is. Its pushing the edge a little bit and from season to season the show needs to change its style to keep it fresh

Comment

• Originally posted by stenochick
                    I posted similar sentiments in another thread. Back then, the show and all its characters and all its story arcs revolved around Clark. Even in Lex-centric episodes like Shattered, it all came back to Lex's relationship with Clark and the Kent family secret.

I don't think the Kents (and Pete and Chloe for that matter) even had their own story arcs that were separate from Clark.
                    I wish they would have always stuck to that formula. That's why even episodes like Craving that weren't considered good were very watchable. I really liked Velocity & its plot with Pete, but loved how it all centered around Clark and the conflicts it imposed on him. I agree with Shattered and how it all came back to Clark and the secret and that's why it was so good.

Comment

• I like that Smallville is a show about the value of good triumphing over evil and the struggle towards justice. So many other shows have thrown values out the window: gossip is good, back-stabbing is noble, betrayal is appluaded, parental responsibility is a joke, and that is just the mild stuff. At least the zombies in Smallville were cause by a alien virus and not some occult nonsense. However it is still a show with some adult themes and the characters have grown and face more adult situations. Cartoon stories of Superman would be better suited for very young children (under the age of 10 I would say) and they would most likely enjoy and understand them more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Super Maverick
                        Smallville never was, never is, and never will be targeted for a 7 year old audience.

There is plenty of other Superman stuff for 7 year olds.
                        just to reiterate

Comment

• I have watched Smallville from the beginning and I would have to say that this season has been the darkest and most violent. I am waiting to see when it gets lighter.

Comment

• I wouldn't let anyone under 12 watch any episode of this show!

IMO it's not for kids. I think ideally a freshman in HS is when any viewing should start.

Your 7 yr old can wait, Smallville will still be here.

Comment

• I don't mind dark stories and mature subjects.

But zombie gore on a show about Superman? Totally unneccesary filler where characters act like they are in a zombie movie (Oliver shooting a zombie with a shotgun...BADASS! but OOC...)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎