No announcement yet.

Too violent; my 7 year old will have to do without Smallville

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by galatians221
    I hope you're right but with the whole Zod thing and watching him decapitate a soldier tonight it's not likely. I have no problem with people getting thrown around and no problem with there being murders and Clark stopping the murderers but showing the ridiculous amounts of blood doesn't make it one bit more entertaining. Showing Jimmy with a pipe thrust through his gut with blood spurting out was a bit too graphic. We could perhaps have more special effects if they saved valuable budget money by not having to spend all of that money on fake blood. It's over the top.
    thank you for backing me up here, I know that there are people out there that consider "gore and violent" to be fun, BUT I'm an adult and have never enjoyed that kind of "enterteinment" I love that the show has matured and is dealing with realistic aspects of life BUT here's a question:
    Do Violence means that the show any better? doubtful.
    I have never abandoned this show in its highs or lows and certaintly will not do it now but somehow the show's darkness is getting way too close to Batman than Superman.
    Even Richard Donner will agree that there's got to be comic relief in any Superman Show/movie

Great dark eppy but please less flesh-eating-zombies and more Clark

Comment

I completely disagree with you about it being unnecessary. Film is a visual art. Metallo's surgery would not have been as deep if he was in a clean room. A zombie episode without blood would be one of the many times smallville copped out and made a bs episode.
      It is needed to convey the serious of the scene and its characters.

or we get Vampire sorority..............

Smallville has never been a show for little kids to watch. Do not tell me its fine for them to show various people get killed(without showing a bloody body) and include the teen topics of the first few seasons. This show is aimed at teens to young adults.
      A 7 year old is not in this shows demographic.

Also SUPERMAN IS A SUPERHERO. The purpose of the character is to combat the dark and evil. This isn't leave it to beaver but its not supposed to be Batman brave and the bold either. Also comparing the darkness of the show to Batman is ludacris. Yes the bad guys are getting more violent and Clark may be wearing a dark suit but that is not Batman.
      Last edited by neoblackdragon; 10-09-2009, 08:51 PM.

Comment

The CW does seem to cater to an older teen crowd with extra gratuitous sex and gore thrown in to get ratings.
        LnC is more family friendly as are the cartoons (well maybe not Doomsday).
        You can always screen the show first to see if its suitable for your child and discuss it as a family.

Comment

I have no issue with shows being realistic with this type of thing. The problem, IMO, is not society, it's parents. Parents refuse to say no to their 'perfect' little children, which is why they're turning into demon spawns (figuratively speaking, of course ).

I applaud you for actually being a good parent. It's a breath of fresh air.

Comment

I am really loving the darker aspects of the show. I don't think that SV has been a kid's show ever really.

I have a six year old son but he doesn't watch it. He doesn't watch SPN either. He has his tv shows that he's allowed to watch and I stick with mine.

the show is rated TV 14 here in USA and this episode was meant to be dark.
            Smallville has never been a show for little kids to watch. Do not tell me its fine for them to show various people get killed(without showing a bloody body) and include the teen topics of the first few seasons. This show is aimed at teens to young adults.
            A 7 year old is not in this shows demographic.

Also SUPERMAN IS A SUPERHERO. The purpose of the character is to combat the dark and evil. This isn't leave it to beaver but its not supposed to be Batman brave and the bold either.
            I agree.
            Last edited by SupermanRox; 10-09-2009, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ella
              Oh wait, never mind. I misread your post. You haven't shown the ep to your child. Well, I agree with you there. Don't show it to her. If you really want to show her the LnC parts, go for it but my nephews and my cousins usually want to watch the whole episode or movie and with shows like Smallville I always say NO and that's hard since they see how obsessed with it I am...
              That's my problem as well. My Gracie knows it's Friday night and I'll be glued to the set. I'm a person who has never seen one episode of Friends or Seinfeld or Lost or anything on TV. The only show I watch is Smallville and it's something that daughter and dad do. I will just have to tell her that this episode is one she can't see. I may even erase it from my DVR besides the fact that I loved the scenes with Clark and Lois. I should also mention that my daughter has corrupted me by introducing me to SpongeBob Squarepants and Barnyard.

Comment

Well, the episode was rated TV-14, so a child shouldn't have been allowed to watch it in the first place.

Adults are allowed to watch TV. I like hainvg shows that are for me. Watch something else if you have kids.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ella;5488049]Smallville hasn't been for kids in a long timThen again, I have been watching movies since I was a baby, literally...my mom is a horror movie fanatic so I have seen this type of stuff on my tv since I can remember.

my mom is the same way and i porbably started watchin scary movies when i was seven hehe except for jason and micheal

Comment

Superman TAS

Comment

I'm not being a big shot here, but some kids are different some things don't scare them, depends on the kid.

When I was 7 the only thing that scared me was The Odyssey, when that troll gets (*vomits*) cut in his one eye.

That was just plainly gross, not exactly scary. Some R rated movies aren't even meant to have that rating. Billy Elliot was rated R which was because of langauge which was stupid.

The only thing that scared me as a kid was watching some movie is this Hong Kong movie, where a girl is trying to kill her sister and chasing her with a kicthen knife, and while the victim is trying to hide. Now THAT should be rated R. No movie should be rated R for language.

After saying the f word more than 3 times, then whatever the movie is, it will be rated R. Can't believe it. The MPAA rating system is stupid.

I think what made SV cool originally, because it got people to like Superman again in a different world because obviously this is about Superman before he was Superman.

And it was dark and violent what every teenager liked, because if there was some kind of classic Superman theme, it wouldn't usually be dark.

Comment

Originally posted by neoblackdragon
                        I completely disagree with you about it being unnecessary. Film is a visual art. Metallo's surgery would not have been as deep if he was in a clean room. A zombie episode without blood would be one of the many times smallville copped out and made a bs episode.
                        It is needed to convey the serious of the scene and its characters.
                        Also SUPERMAN IS A SUPERHERO. The purpose of the character is to combat the dark and evil. This isn't leave it to beaver but its not supposed to be Batman brave and the bold either. Also comparing the darkness of the show to Batman is ludacris. Yes the bad guys are getting more violent and Clark may be wearing a dark suit but that is not Batman.
                        I guess I have to agree but because I don't read any of the spoilers I always get surprised by the intensity of the episode. Zombie Sans Blood would not work out that well
                        And BTW i'm not the only one comparing the darkness of season 9 with Batman.

Comment

Even though children can watch earlier episodes, it was never meant for children. It is rated tv-14, so I wouldn't expect to be able to show it to kids. In its earlier seasons, it was a definitely aimed at teenagers and not families and now it is aimed at a broad audience of teenagers and adults. It has grown up with the target audience and the characters.

There are plenty of other more family friendly versions of superman that you can show your kids, but save Smallville for a few years from now. By then, they will be able to fully understand it anyway and will probably enjoy it much more.

I agree that Metallo was pretty disgusting when John Corbin was hit by the truck and then waking up in surgery - I looked away, but I'm an adult and I'm old enough to handle whatever they throw at me and don't worry about TV sex and violence when I watch network TV. I turned on a tv-14 program and that is what I got. If I turn on Hannah Montana and see this kind of thing, then I can be angry about it, but Smallville isn't on the Disney Chanel and it isn't for kids.

When it comes to choosing TV for kids, you are doing the right thing by monitoring what she watches, but I don't think that Smallville should need to strive to be more family friendly than its tv-14 rating. They have Lois and Clark series or the animated Superman for that.

Some programing is aimed at an older audience and I don't think that there is a problem with that. Kids just can't watch it. They can watch something else and watch it when they get older. There is a separation between kids programming and adult programing and parents have to make the call and that is their responsibility and not the network's.
                          Last edited by A Flawed Fashion; 10-09-2009, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Well it's TV-14 to begin with, so they clearly warn the potential viewers about mature subject matter. I watch it on Sun TV, and before Smallville airs, there is the "may not be suitable for younger audience" message before the show airs.

I like the darker tones of the show. Makes it feel more grown-up.

Comment

I do agree that we could do without all the unnecessary violence. But at the same time DC releases everything from comics, to movies/shows, to cartoons, all geared for different age groups. I think if people really want to share Superman with younger audiences, they should pick one closer to their own demographic. They can always watch Smallville or anything else inapropriate when they get older. It's pretty much all based on opinion.
                              Last edited by Blur 26; 10-09-2009, 10:20 PM.

Comment

The ratings come up when the show start. It shows Tv 14. I personally like anything dark and twisted. It makes good Tv. But your the mother and I can see your point.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎