• Show
Clear All

• Dust To Dust (1/1, Gen, AU)

Title: Dust To Dust 1/1
    Type: Gen, AU
    Characters: Peter, HRG, Mohinder
    Rating: PG-13
    Spoilers: Through S4
    Disclaimer: Heroes and all characters therein are not my property. No infringement is intended.
    Note: This is the latest chapter in my "Perchance To Dream" series.

Using enhanced vision along with telekinesis, Peter Petrelli magnified the dust particles that he stirred in his apartment. He separated one piece of enlarged dust from the collection, translucent in sunlight, projecting a dark recollection upon it…

“What do you mean I’m not immortal?,” Peter incredulously asked Mohinder Suresh. “I absorbed Claire’s ability. The test has got to be wrong.”

“I’m sorry, Peter. I performed the test a dozen times,” assured Suresh. “The results are correct, as was the precognitive dream that brought you to me, it seems.”

“I saw Claire at my grave,” Peter reiterated, “because?”

“Because,” answered Suresh, “the empathy through which you absorbed her ability gives you her ability only, not the side effect of her ability. Your genetic code hasn’t changed; hers has…”

Peter stirred the dust in his apartment after telling Noah Bennet the news. Bennet finally stirred beside him, breaking his long silence.

“My long-term plans were predicated on you staying near her while she lived,” said Bennet. I will not leave her alone. I will not allow the Deathscape to become her only continuity.”

“It won’t be, Noah,” said Peter.

Bennet laughed bitterly. “When I worked to take down the Company, immortality wasn’t a variable. Elle was right. Irony is a *****.”

“True,” replied Peter, separating dust particles as he spoke, “but irony can be a friend, too. You only need the parts of the Company that work for Claire, not the whole thing.”

“You’re taking this well,” noted Bennet, “considering everything that’s happened.”

It was Peter’s turn to laugh bitterly. “When Adam and I worked to take down the Company, immortality was a variable. I just didn’t want to see it. It’s time I faced what’s in front of me.”
Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎