This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still loved it

Comment

• I gave it an 8/10 really good episode. There was abit too much going on at times mind.

Comment

• It was a good episode but not the best season premere.Liked the superman symbol,thr plot and zod in the mansion

Comment

• I liked it! All the actors and supporting actors did great. Especially Callum. He hit it out of the park! "Kneel before Zod!" indeed...

It was much better than "Odyssey". I'll give a 9.

Comment

• i gave it a 9.Savior sure was an awesome season premiere.it felt like smallville was finally moving on. But as far as i'm concerned,it can't beat crusade or arrival

Comment

• thanks for the show

Comment

• Not as good as "Bizarro" or "Zod" but definately up there! Better opener than "Odyssey".

The teaser itself is amazing not to mention the scene right after it in the fortress. Image of Clark on top of the statue of liberty and that they mentioned flight...

Zod had a fantastic re-introduction here not as a general but major...for now...

Clark should get more fight scenes as this episode showed...they are great! You can see his training has been paying off as he fights Alia.

Lois got back from the future and the visions of it were both chilling and awesome!

10 from me!!

I really hope that "Lazarus" will be even more awesome!!

Comment

• Season nine just started here a few weeks ago and till now I've only watched full episodes of season once (when they aired), so I've been enjoying watching (and re-watching) these episodes.

Savior was a great episode. There were so many things to love about it.

Clark - This episode did wonders for his character. I've never loved his character more then I did in this season. It started with this episode. I loved every scene he was in. And I missed him when he wasn't onscreen. He was supposed to have given up on humanity and yet at no time did I find watching his scenes depressing, just sad for him. I loved seeing this new strong, confident, determined side of him. There was no doubt in my mind that he was the hero in this episode. And he looked good too. The thing about Clark's screentime, I didn't mind it. When the main character gets sidelined in order to give someone else lots of screentime it bothers me but when that screentime fits with his storyline, I miss having him onscreen but I don't have a problem with it. And with Savior, I can't think of how they could have given him more screentime without it feeling like him being in a scene for the sake of it. Rather then each scene of his having a purpose like it did in this one.

Lois - I loved her. She went through a lot in this episode. She was snarky, caring, vulnerable, got a chance to show off her awesome fighting skills, strong, cute, and funny. They used her well in this episode. Like Clark, she as well had a great episode.

Oliver - I wasn't happy with them going with the self-destructing storyline again. It's been overplayed with him. Thankfully, it was kept to a minimum in this episode and I did like the way that Lois chose to deal with him. Both of them were in character. Good scene. I haven't shipped them together since season 7, but I've always wanted to see a friendship between them. More (healthy) friendships are something Oliver really needs more then anything IMO. And Justin and Erica have great chemistry.

Emil - I like him.

Chlark - I liked the Chlark scenes. I've found that their scenes can be enjoyable when Clark is allowed to have an opinion. And stand his ground when necessary. Good scene on the rooftop. I do feel that Chloe was trying to guilt him a little with her comments but I still thought she came out looking good in it. She was sad but understanding. Unfortunately the scene where she tries to convince to him to bring Jimmy back taints that first scene. Considering the way her feelings change almost immediately (after he says no) it does come off looking like she was being understanding and playing the good friend role, in part, because she knew what she was planning to ask of him. Lines where she talk about how much she's done for him add to that. Clark, even when put in a difficult position, came out looking good though. Saying no to her was the right choice. And I felt like the writers did a good job of showing that. He felt bad for her but at the same time remembered what happened the last time. The scene was good for him and back then made me feel more positive about any future Chloe/Clark scenes. Great way to (finally) treat your main character with respect. Chloe came out looking like a more real, more flawed character in this episode, something that hasn't happened since season 5. I don't think we were meant to think what she was saying was right but rather that she was lashing out because of how she's feeling. And I find that more interesting (and watchable) then that self-less, heroic, victim role they usually have her in no matter what she does (the Lana-like role), it annoyed me when they went back to writing her like that towards the end of the season. Being self-less isn't doing things for someone then throwing it in their faces when you want something from them. This next line amused me. "We both made mistakes now you have to fix it" - The things Chloe says sometimes.... that line sounds like one I'd used if I was mocking her behavior.

John Corbin - Nice introduction.

Clois - There wasn't much but I think that worked for this episode so I was fine with it. From Clark's side, Savior showed me was that he was distracted by her appearance and he needed closure. And that he wasn't able to let of her specifically (and, as well as, I think a connection with someone who he usually is happy around, especially at a time like this). That made sense to me.

Zod - I loved him already. I've never been this interested in a villain on the show before.

Outside of a few minor issues I loved this episode. It was not only a great episode on it's own but back then it really got excited for the rest of the season.

Comment

• The burning of the "S" image into Clark's most-recently visited sites. Too cool.
                    The black suit. A brilliant idea.
                    This Zod-and-army concept actually looks like it will be quite dramatic.
                    The Metallo guy is quite interesting. Also very cool.
                    Clark's conversation with Jor-El about "what else do I have to do to be whom I'm meant to be? Why can't I fly?" etc., was great.

For me, everything about this episode screams "cool."

Comment

• It's still one of my favorite SPs. I loved the look and feel of it. It was so dark. It had a "Batman Begins" feel and look to it. It was "Superman Begins." 10
                      Last edited by Simba_Muffy; 03-08-2011, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Considering how they cocked up the story and many of the characters in the latter half of season 8, they needed to return with a bang. Clark had turned his back on humanity and decided to complete his training with Jor-el, and everybody else was riding waves of guilt following Jimmy's death. Lois' absence needed to be explained clearly and concisely. It's fair to say that with the entire pre-credits sequence, they delivered.

The two best visual touches in that sequence were the zoom-in on Lois when she spots Alia in the carriage, and the pan up the building to Clark looking out onto Metropolis in his dark Blur attire. The first immediately hinted that a fight was in the offing, and the second was very Batman-esque. They also needed to clearly establish how much Lois' absence had affected Clark, and that look of amazement followed by relief when she sees her through the window was the perfect way to capture it.

I'm sure there are plotholes everywhere as people on here are quick to point out. While not a plothole as such, Clark's reasoning for not using the ring to go back and save Jimmy didn't quite make sense. He referred to Jonathan's death in Reckoning as a valid reason to not mess with the past. While it's true that it is a valid reason for Clark to explain his fears, he used the ring to change the past more recently than that, in Infamous when he decided to confront Linda Lake before she wrote her article outing him as an alien. Using the ring to change the past didn't come with the conditional deal that talking to Jor-el did back in Reckoning when Clark begged for Lana to be saved, which Jor-el granted at the expense of Jonathan. In Infamous after he used his 'reset button', he still talked to Chloe about how things went wrong in the original timeline so she was already aware of what the ring could do anyway.
                        Last edited by Bally; 04-12-2016, 04:04 AM.

Comment

• A very good premiere. We're introduced to several mysteries: the origin of the Kryptonians, who've showed up on Earth; the future Lois went to and Alia came from; what Alia meant by Clark destroying their world. I liked that they included Lois having brief flashes of her suppressed memories. Giving us a little tease of what's to come. Things that encourage the viewers to stick around for the full 22-episode season. We're also introduced to John Corben, which is a nice little detail, that I've talked about in my comment about the next episode "Metallo". It makes Corben into a pre-existing entity, whom Lois has interacted with, before he's turned into a cyborg. Looking back at Lois & Clark, they had the character introduced and turned into a cyborg a few minutes later. Here, over a decade later, the character is allowed to make an appearance before becoming a cyborg. It really demonstrates changes in narrative storytelling for TV.

Naturally, this episode has future Alia show up and then display Kryptonian powers under a yellow sun. Creating an apparent plot hole. Watching this, I can totally understand why they had Lois learn Clark's secret in the season finale/S10 premiere. Her being kept outside of things prevents exposition. If we look at "Pandora", it's never explained what happened to the rest of the team or Lana (who was now super powered and walking green K), because everything was shown through the memories of Lois Lane. She didn't know about Lana or the others, so she couldn't ask them. Meaning we're left with unanswered questions (that some would call plot holes). With Alia I do find that the answer is simple. When she first appears on the monorail, she fights Lois like a regular human. Because: she didn't have powers at that time. It also explains why she didn't go after Clark until the next day: she couldn't until she had them. In "Pandora", we saw her super speed, after the sun became yellow again. That was probably the last of her power, as she then appears in the present powerless. Before going back in time, she made physical contact with Clark (who was covered in his own blood). She probably got some of it on her. Upon coming to the present, she realized this, cut herself with her sword and pressed Clark's blood against her's. Eventually triggering her natural powers (like how Clark would later do with Zod). Sadly, because Lois didn't know Clark's secret (or even had her memories of the future), she couldn't raise the question about why Alia still had her powers (and no one else would think to ask). Hence the need to reveal Clark's secret to her.

I appreciate Clark's refusal to go back in time and prevent Jimmy's death. It again displays his growing maturity and that he knows that messing with the timeline comes with a price. The first time he went back a few hours to prevent Lana's death and it resulted in Jonathan's death. The second time he went back two days, which resulted in Davis meeting Linda Lake, whom he killed and discovered that murdering people himself prevented the transformation (leading to Davis going around a murdering a lot of people). Here he'd go back and change the last three weeks of everyone's life. Just imagine the consequences. Sure, Jimmy's alive, but a lot of other people would probably be dead. Because Jimmy didn't die, Clark never abandoned his civilian life or buried himself in his superhero activities. Meaning he wouldn't have been there to save some of the people he's saved over the last three weeks. Not to mention, without Jimmy's death, Chloe wouldn't have been driven to set up Watchtower in the loft apartment. Which lead to the further development of the group (identified in S11 as "the Watchtower Network") we saw introduced in S6. A development that not only affected a lot of people's lives, but also lead to the eventual formations of the formal Justice League and the Teen Titans. Basically: No dead Henry James Olsen = No Justice League or Teen Titans.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎