Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dean's Necklace

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we find out that Bobby didn't give Sam the necklace to give to John, THEN it would be a retcon. If we find out that Dean went back in time to give Sam his own necklace, THEN it would be a retcon. If we find out that Zod left Kandor, came down to Earth, created a necklace, gave it to Bobby, who then gave it to Sam, THEN it would be a retcon.

Just because NOW we know that Castiel needs Dean's necklace to find God is NOT a retcon. The angels never wanted to search for God, and Castiel has no idea that God was missing. Now that Castiel knows God has been missing but out here on Earth, Castiel needs something, and it happens to be Dean's necklace, which everyone knew that there was a story to it, something Kripke has been saying for a while. It's not a retcon if it was something planned out years ago. Also, Dean's necklace does have some kind of supernatural element to it. Just look up 'Dean's necklace' and you'll find many theories concerning the character on the necklace and the many religions that come very close to the 'God' that the necklace is portraying.

It's not a retcon if we're just out of the blue told that Dean's necklace is a God EMF. Bobby gave it to Sam, and obviously he had no clue that it would be what Cas needs. NOW...if Bobby knew, then THAT would be a retcon because Bobby could have told Dean or even Sam that MANY years ago. And that could've possibly helped them SOMEHOW last season during the Seals arc, or would've been interesting nonetheless. And Bobby, if he knew, would've said something when Castiel asked for it, and that would be a retcon just because it'll sound very confusing as to why Bobby is speaking up on it now.

Bobby had no idea.
    The angels did not care.

No retcon.

----- Added 58 Seconds later -----

Originally posted by Ginx
    But yeah, I'm sure they'll flush out some more about it's origin, maybe Dean will look it up and find some info or something.
    Look up Super Wiki....they have a pretty in-depth look at Dean's necklace.
    Last edited by Call_Me_Ishmael; 09-19-2009, 08:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Hmmm, so you're saying it's not a retcon, but a Chekhov's Gun. I suppose I could buy that. Not really changing something in the past as elaborating on it. Alright, I concede the point.

I do not concede, however, that it was well done. I was watching that scene and the only thing running through my head was "what the hell?" In order to be done well, a Chekhov's Gun needs to have at least some indication that it is, you know, significant. The fact that a ton of people in the audience thought it was is only indicative of the fact that people like to find significance in TV shows. There was no hint previously that the amulet was magical in any way. It really did just come out of the blue.

Comment

Chekhov's Gun...that is a good way of pointing it out. So I hope you somewhat understand what I was explaining.

And the regular viewer would probably say "WTH??", but it's been some time now, since season two, that people have been speculating over Dean's necklace.

Comment

i don't know... we seen full close ups of to many times for an average prop...

Comment

You're both right in that the necklace has been speculated and focused upon a great deal in the show, more so than most props. However, all of this has been for the audience's benefit. Within the actual story of the show, there has been no indication that the necklace was magic. It never got warm around an angel, it never glowed with a soft blue light or protected Dean from a bullet or hummed when danger was near or anything. It just sat on its cord around his neck like an inert lump of metal. Camera focus is entirely for the audience, Sam and Dean do not see the camera pointing out important details. Likewise, audience speculation means nothing within the show because the audience does not exist. If the necklace hadn't been magical, then it would have been a waste of audience time.

What would have been a really clever way for the writers to foreshadow the necklace's magic would have been to have the readers of Chuck's book series speculate on the necklace. Unfortunately that didn't happen.

Upon further research I would like to amend my statement that the necklace is a Chekhov's Gun and instead declare it a Schrodinger's Gun. That term is more accurate regarding the nature of the necklace.

Comment

I've heard of Chekhov's Gun, but what would Schrodinger's Gun be?

Comment

Hunters wear protection amulets, charms etc.. Dean figured out his mom was a hunter when he saw the charms on her braclet and her fighting skills. Jo has an amulet to protect her from possession. So it is possible that Bobby thought it might offer some protection for John without knowing it's full significance.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎