Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supernatural's Mythology and Religion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wanted to take a minute to say this is part of why I love this show! What other show on TV sparks such intelligent conversation about religion, myth, history, etc...? This show makes you think and inspires debate, which I think is a good thing.

Plus, it makes me proud of the fandom that, on this board at least, we can all discuss these things with civility even though we all come from diverse backgrounds with diverse points of view. It's nice to see people able to share their thoughts and beliefs without getting smacked down for it.

And I agree...Supernatural draws from Old Testament Judaism, New Testament Christianity, Catholicism, and Islam as well as Greek, Norse and Roman myths. It has never claimed to have one ruling "religion" nor do I think it should. Even thoughthey make use of Catholic rituals quite often, I think that may only be because these rituals feel familiar to people. Catholicism has been well established as the "demon exorcising" religion in TV/Movies and it seems an accepted belief that these rituals are the main way to combat evil. But hey, the title of the show is "Supernatural", so all supernatural beings are fair game for portrayal.
    Last edited by chole_fan; 09-12-2009, 08:40 AM.

Comment

^agreed. Try having this conversation on YouTube...

Comment

Originally posted by chole_fan
        I also believe they have free will, how else could Lucifer have chosen to rebel?? So the idea of rebelling angels or angels trying to take matters into their own hands is not so far fetched to me.
        That's a really good point. I never thought of it that way. That makes me a lot less uncomfortable with the doubting angels storyline. Thanks!

Comment

Well I always wondered how religious people felt about Supernatural. With only portraying angels, insulting them. Portraying them sometimes as cruel. So far they have kept everything very vague around God, but the rumours he would make an appearance in this season. I already thought that they were taking it a bit too far, bringing Lucifer in it. I mean all powerful demons is one thing, but Satan himself? That seemed like a stretch to me. Well it also depends on how they are going to defeat him I guess. Is the Archangel Michael in the end going to defeat him using Dean as a vessel? Would be interesting and would be more credible rather than just the winchester brothers defeating Lucifer on their own at least...

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎