Clear All

• Let's Just Kiss And Say Goodbye (Clex) PG

Title: Let's Just Kiss And Say Goodbye
    Genre: Songfic/drama
    Pairing: Clark and Lex
    Rating: PG
    Disclaimer: Not mine

A/N: Short piece based on the song by The Manhattans

Clark sat on the edge of the bed. He’d been avoiding this for so long, but he knew it was no longer a matter of choice. He touched the pale limb beside him, still with the sheet curled over it.

“I need you to listen to me now. There are so many things I want to say and I don’t want you to stop me until I’m through okay. I’ve thought about this and I really don’t want it this way, but I don’t know what else to do. We can’t see each other anymore. So this is our last day together.”

It had been happening for months. He just didn’t want to admit it to himself. They both had their own obligations, their own ties. He’d come here to say goodbye. But he’d wanted to hold his lover one more time. Just one more kiss and he’d walk away, he’d told himself. But that one kiss had turned into another, and another. Until they’d ended up making passionate love, rolling between the coarse linen sheets.

There was no movement in the bed beside him, but he knew he was being heard. Clark held back the tears. It wouldn’t help him if he got emotional.

“I know it’s going to hurt,” Clark said. “But I just think we need to do it. For both our sakes. You’ll meet someone else. Someone who fits into your world better than I can. Someone who can give you their full attention. Because you know I can’t. I can’t just belong to one person. I can’t.”

People had seen them in different ways. Back when they had just been friends. Perceived the relationship in different ways. Some approved, while others had turned away in disgust. It wasn’t bad. Not at first. But life had a funny way of throwing curve balls. And those curve balls were the reasons why this was now so wrong.

They’d been meeting here, every day, for so long. Years even. But Clark was Superman. And Lex ... Lex was his enemy. Superman's enemy.

Lex rolled over, leaning on his elbow, his grey eyes looking over at his lover. Resigned. He hadn’t cared about the fact that they’d had to meet in a dingy motel room. Or that Clark had had to come here in disguise. It was the nature of the beast. The necessity when someone was as visible as Superman. But Clark was right. He didn’t belong to Lex. He belonged to the citizens of Metropolis. And as much as Lex wanted to keep the Man of Steel to himself, he knew the world needed Superman more.

So they parted. When they closed the door of that dingy motel room for the last time, they kissed and said goodbye.

[Spoken]
    This has got to be the saddest day of my life
    I called you here today for a bit of bad news
    I won't be able to see you anymore
    Because of my obligations, and the ties that you have
    We've been meeting here everyday
    And since this is our last day together
    I wanna hold you just one more time
    When you turn and walk away, don't look back
    I wanna remember you just like this
    Let's just kiss and say goodbye

[Song]
    I had to meet you here today
    There's just so many things to say
    Please don't stop me 'til I'm through
    This is something I hate to do
    We've been meeting here so long
    I guess what we done, oh was wrong
    Please darlin', don't you cry
    Let's just kiss and say goodbye (Goodbye)

Many months have passed us by
    (I'm gonna miss you)
    I'm gonna miss you, I can't lie
    (I'm gonna miss you)
    I've got ties, and so do you
    I just think this is the thing to do
    It's gonna hurt me, I can't lie
    Maybe you'll meet, you'll meet another guy
    Understand me, won't you try, try, try, try, try, try, try
    Let's just kiss and say goodbye (Goodbye)

(I'm gonna miss you)
    I'm gonna miss you, I can't lie
    (I'm gonna miss you)
    Understand me, won't you try
    (I'm gonna miss you)
    It's gonna hurt me, I can't lie
    (I'm gonna miss you)

Aww...this is so heartfelt. I miss Lex's presence on the show so much. And the Clex ship in its heyday was a sight to behold. *sigh*

Great drabble, great song. Thanks for sharing, Leanne!

Comment

So they parted. When they closed the door of that dingy motel room for the last time, they kissed and said goodbye.
      Another great one-shot. Again I say how did I not know about this one? *smacking myself on the back of the head*

Comment

Heartfelt, sad, but beautiful !

Comment

I can't believe I forgot to respond to some of the comments. But I'm glad you all enjoyed this.

Comment

I'm in a Clex mood, Leanne. I know where to go when I need my fix.

Comment

Originally posted by tua33915
              I'm in a Clex mood, Leanne. I know where to go when I need my fix.
              Yep, you do. Glad I could oblige.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎