Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metropolis, 2010 cont'd

Thanks Miray! Here's a new chapter!

Gold Wing and a Prayer Guest Starring: Nightwing and Batgirl

Earlier that day, Bruce Wayne and his trusted manservant, Alfred, were huddled around a high-powered laptop computer in the Penthouse Suite of the Metropolis Arms Hotel. Alfred glanced over Bruce’s shoulder at the screen. A young blonde haired woman’s website was front and center. “Looking for a date, Sir?” Alfred’s dry British wit kicked in.

“Not quite, Alfred.” Bruce said as he leaned back from the laptop, and chewed on the earpiece of his square lens reading glasses. Alfred read the website title clearly. “Wall of Weird?” The English nobleman parroted. “Catchy.”

“Miss Sullivan’s name comes up frequently when I research all things locally that could be considered odd or unusual.” Bruce explained. “As does one Clark Kent and also Lois Lane. The three seem inexorably linked to all things weird in the area.”

“I see.” Alfred commented dryly. He was beginning to lose interest. “There’s not enough weirdness in Gotham City for you, Sir?” Bruce smirked. “There’s definitely something more going on in this locality than meets the eye.” Bruce continued.

“Young Kent is the son of Senator Martha Kent. She represents this district of Central Kansas.” Bruce scowled. “What’s the connection?” He thought out loud. “Kent lives like a pauper despite his powerful and well liked Mother’s job. He works at a menial job at the newspaper, The Metropolis Daily Planet.” Alfred began to make the suite’s bed out of habit.

“Perhaps he’s just frugal, Sir.” Alfred responded, glancing back over his shoulder. “Relax, Alfred.” Bruce urged. “The hotel staff will take care of all that. Why don’t you just grab a book and read by the poolside?”

“It’s a bit chilly out for that, Sir.” Alfred replied. “But the sentiment is appreciated.” Bruce nodded and went back to perusing Chloe’s Website. “Now this missing young billionaire, Alexander ‘Lex’ Luthor seems to have been heavily involved with Kent and Sullivan. That just doesn’t add up.” Alfred nodded with feigned interest.

“Why?” Bruce scratched his head. “I know for a fact that Luthor is dirty.” Alfred became slightly more interested. “There’s even unproven suspicions that Lex murdered his father, Lionel.” Alfred’s eyes widened. “How horrible, Sir. This Lex is still at large?”

Bruce nodded. “Apparently. He seems to have conveniently disappeared. Lex has had all kinds of dealings with the world’s undesirables.” Alfred checked his super expensive Swiss watch. “Master Bruce, You have that meeting with Metropolis Financial in two hours.” He reminded him. “Do you need help prepping for it?”

“No thanks, Alfred.” Bruce bit his lower lip. “It’s pretty much run of the mill stuff. Where are the kids today?” Alfred sighed. “Miss Barbara has gone shopping, and Master Dick was, and I quote directly, going to check out some babes and bikes at a Harley Davidson Dealer.”

Bruce chuckled. “That sounds like Dick.” Alfred’s eyebrows rose. “Did you want me to keep an eye on them while you’re at the meetings?” Bruce glanced up from the laptop screen. “No…I have a better idea. Let’s send them out to the Kent Farm to have a look around.”

Alfred gawked openly for a moment. “What should they say if they run into this Clark Kent?” Bruce nibbled on the edge of a pen cap. “Let’s say that the kids were sent over to see a real working farm for a school project. It sounds lame, but I don’t foresee any danger.”

“It would certainly keep them out of trouble for a while.” Alfred chimed in. “That would be my hope.” Bruce added. “I’ll clear it with Senator Kent. Maybe she can have her son meet Dick and Barbara there.” He flipped on his cell phone.

In Central Metropolis, just north of the Main Street shopping district, a single metallic red motorcycle putters along, stuck in traffic. Dick’s Com link beeped. “Yeah Barb, where are you at?” He spoke into the wrist hugging communication device.

“Stuck on Fourth and Central.” Came the young coed’s response. Barb glanced behind her and saw nothing but curb-to-curb cars. “The traffic here sucks! Its at least as bad as Gotham City during Rush Hour.” Dick had to stop for another light. “Tell me about it!”

“Did you catch Bruce’s message?” He asked over the noise of the idling bike. Barb’s long reddish blonde hair trailed behind her beneath the helmet, as the traffic finally began to move. The whine of the motorcycle engine hummed as she reached a standard thirty miles per hour.

“Yeah, I guess that we’re heading out to the boonies.” Barb replied. “I just went shopping, and farm apparel was definitely not on my list.” Dick’s ride began to move up the traffic line. “I guess we’ll have to stop again somewhere on the way out of town.”

“I doubt if flannel shirts, blue jeans, and cow pie kickers are going to break the WayneCo Bank credit cards that we have!” Barb quipped. “There’s more to all of this, I’m sure.” She added, slowing to a stop in front of the Daily Planet news tower.

“Bruce wants us to check out this Clark Kent. He seems to think that there’s more to him than being a simple farm boy turned cub reporter.” Barb informed Dick. “Terrific!” He grumbled. “I hope that we don’t end up with a weeklong backlog of Gotham City scumbags to deal with, while we’re chasing this Farmer Brown.”

Barb snickered. “Aw come on, Dick! This is our big chance to get away from it all.” Dick rolled his eyes as he muttered. “True, but this isn’t exactly South Beach in the fall is it? I mean its called Smallville for a reason. Dick out!”

Sometime later, the teen crime-fighters were out on the open road running their motorcycles far above the posted speed limits. Each rider sported the traditional flannels, blue jeans, and boots. They stopped off briefly at a local grease pit called Harlan’s Hot Dogs.

The teens wolfed down the fast food meals, and slurped rather large colas. “You know Barb, I’ve been thinking…” Dick began to sound philosophical. Barb would have none of it. “I told you to stop doing that.” She teased. “Every time you think, you weaken the nation.” Dick’s eyes sparkled at the good-natured ribbing. “Listen, Barbara Sue…” He began his retort.

His comeback was interrupted by the unmistakable sound of a Harley Davidson roaring past the fast food place. “Whoa! That chick was hauling!” Dick exclaimed as the cycle sped on. Barb glared at him. “Chick? Yee Haw, Dick! I see that you’ve gotten into the spirit of the local’s dialect.” She sniped.

“That was a real boss hog!” Dick exclaimed as Barb wrinkled her nose at him. “Boss hog?” She repeated. “How much time did you spend at the motorcycle dealership, anyway?” Dick ignored her comment. “Maybe we can catch her!” He said excitedly, as he gulped down the last of his drink. “Catch her? Why?” Barb was growing annoyed.

“Just to talk shop!” Dick defended. “That was a top of the line Gold Wing that she was driving!” He pleaded with his eyes. Barb sighed before giving in. “Whatever!” She finished off her cola. Barb recalled that she really didn’t have many friends, and it might be nice to have an E mail pal outside of Gotham. “Let’s roll, bird boy!”

Dick dashed past her and hopped aboard his ride. Barb followed suit shortly thereafter. They took off down the road after the speedy biker girl. “Hey! What if we get a ticket?” Barb protested into the wrist Com link. Dick barely heard her over the roaring din of the bikes.

“Bruce can have it fixed, or just pay it outright!” Dick shouted back. “Yeah, but we’d get a major lecture!” She countered, groaning. They spied the solitary rider up ahead. Fortunately for them, she’d slowed down substantially.

The raven-haired girl noticed that she was being followed. Instead of speeding up, she dialed the output back to let them catch up. “Hey! Nice ride!” Dick bellowed, thoroughly embarrassing Barb. “Thanks!” The girl yelled back. “Yours aren’t bad either.”

She pulled off the main highway and onto a gravel access road that ran perpendicular to a nearby forest preserve ridge. The trees had begun to reach their peak fall color locally. The lady biker slowed to a stop alongside an old wooden bridge overlooking a river. In the distance we see a roughly rounded lake, with some stray fishermen casting their lines.

The lady biker removed her helmet and visor. The helmet was glossy black with twin gold stripes on either side of it. There was an image of a golden colored hawk across its front. The motorcycle, matched the helmet to the max, including the familiar Gold Wing logo on its sides.

“Laura Lake.” She extended a hand to Dick who had pulled up alongside her. He removed his red and black helmet. “Richard Grayson.” Barb pulled up next, rolling her eyes. Richard? She mentally groused. “Barbara Gordon.” She introduced herself after removing her helmet and visor.

“Nice rides.” Laura praised. “Wayne Nippon twenty five hundreds, right?” Dick nodded, sucking up. “Not as nice as yours. That’s a fully restored nineteen eighty five Gold Wing, isn’t it?” Laura smiled. “Yup. Very good, Richard.” She tried to flirt, although she knew that she wasn’t very good at it. “It was actually my late father’s ride.” Laura admitted sullenly.

“I tricked it out last year and added some luggage space.” Laura said proudly. “You guys aren’t from around here, are you?” She fished. “No. Actually, we’re from Gotham City.” Dick said before he’d thought it through. Barb winced. Too much information, she mused.

They dismounted their bikes. Laura was a bit taller than Dick or Barb, and slightly stockier than either as well. The teens chatted pleasantly for a few more minutes.

Laura checked our Richard. He had a square jaw, tousled black shoulder length hair, and a smaller but wiry build. She lost herself briefly in his sky blue eyes. Laura quickly shook her gaze away. After a failed romance with Clark, and her childhood friend, Mike Trent, romance was the last thing on her mind, especially with her new commitment to Oliver and his group.

Richard’s girlfriend, or whatever, was petite, and hadn’t an ounce of body fat on her. She seemed to have some intensity about her that Laura hadn’t recently seen. Barb’s gaze was fixed on Richard, like she was waiting for him to say or do something stupid.

Dick was instantly smitten as he made eye contact with Laura. Barb sighed patiently, with very little to say. Dick noted the two long golden blonde strands of hair that framed Laura’s thin face. Her high cheekbones were covered in grime, which in Dick’s opinion added to her allure.

Laura was about to put her helmet back on, and make an excuse to leave, when she remembered something that Chloe had mentioned about a party? She strained to recall the E mail wording. “By the way.” Barb interrupted her train of thought. “You wouldn’t happen to know where the Kent Farm is, would you?” Laura went rigid as she debated how best to answer.

“Yeah, I know the Kents, why?” Laura’s tone was defensive. “Uh…” Dick began as he lost concentration. He’d been busy admiring Laura’s bright red lips. Barbara sighed tiredly. “We’re supposed to head over there…um…to study a real working farm for school.” She explained.

Laura wasn’t buying it. She wanted to know what the visitors from Gotham were truly up to. “We cleared it with Senator Kent.” Barb filled in while Dick gathered his thoughts. “Oh. That’s okay then.” Laura baited as her eyebrows rose. “It’s really not far from here. If you promise to call ahead, I can guide you there.” Barbara nodded. “Done.”

She flipped her reddish blonde hair over her shoulder, and pulled out her cell phone. The wrist Com links that the teen crime-fighters wore were specifically used to contact Bruce or Alfred. “Senator Kent, please.” She asked to Laura’s satisfaction.

“Directions?” Barb continued the conversation. “No, we found some one to help us. Miss Laura Lake.” She explained to Martha, who gave them her blessing to proceed. “She says that it’s okay. She also wants me to call and see if her son Clark, or niece Kara, are home.”

Laura nodded absently as she looked out over the speedily flowing river. She recalled a story that Clark had shared with her, about saving Lana Lang’s life at this very bridge some years ago. I kind of wish he hadn’t, Laura thought sourly. Laura had lost Clark’s affection to Lana about two long years ago. She quickly put those negative thoughts out of her mind.

It was just some leftover petty jealousy, she realized after a moment. She was a lovesick sixteen-year-old girl. Laura dismissed the dark attitude. Now I’m eighteen, and a superhero. I don’t have time to dredge up the past, she analyzed. The world had changed, and I have changed.

Dick continued to admire Laura, as the young woman seemed lost in thought. He felt something change in him at that moment, but wasn’t sure what. He finally got back on track. “Laura, do you mind telling me how old you are?” Dick struggled to make conversation.

“Huh?” Laura glanced at Dick. “Oh, I’m sorry. Eighteen, and you?” Dick flushed. “The same, and Barb here is a bit older.” Barbara was engrossed in a conversation with Clark’s voice Mail.

“Are you two…together?” Laura nodded towards the young female crime-fighter. “Uh…no…we just sort of work together.” Dick replied as he brushed the hair off the back of his neck, a nervous habit that he’d picked up. “Vague, but I’ll take it.” Laura smiled as she smoothed things over.

part 2 next

Comment

Gold Wing and a Prayer pt 2

Gold Wing and a Prayer cont'd

Chapter 19

Barb snapped off her phone, and turned towards Dick and Laura. “I left a message with Clark and or Kara, but at the moment, no one seems to be home.” Laura took one last look out over the flowing river.
      It reminded her of the Loracite filled stream back in Falcon Claw that she drew her power from.

“We can head over there.” She offered. “Maybe they’ll be back soon. If not, I can certainly show you the farm. I’m familiar with its layout. Clark and I had...a thing...a couple of years ago.” Laura stretched the truth a bit. “Oh.” Dick sounded disappointed.

“What happened?” Barb asked bluntly. “We had different views on the world.” Laura began. “It just didn’t work out. Neither of us were fooling ourselves.” At least that was the truth, she mused. “I’m sorry, too much information?” Laura flashed a thin grin.

Barbara shook her head. “No, that’s alright. We all have our issues to deal with.” She’d been infatuated with Bruce since high school. Barb was just now starting to get over it. “Let’s ride!” Laura suggested as the visiting teens mounted their bikes and followed her towards the Kent Farm.

Shortly thereafter, the three young cyclists pulled up alongside the yellow and brown ranch house. Shelby/Krypto barked at them through the front window. They dismounted and followed Laura into the barn. Dick spied the now mostly deserted loft hideaway. “Now that’s cool!” He remarked.

The area was dusty and in some disarray. Next to the window sat a packed away telescope, and a dresser filled with decade old memorabilia. “Someone lived here?” Barb was incredulous. “Sure, Clark did.” Laura answered. She went on to explain that the loft would give Clark and his parents some privacy.

“Pretty slick idea.” Dick praised lustily. “Then you were up here a lot?” Barb grilled. “Yes.” Laura replied simply, as a chill suddenly ran down her spine. Even Laura’s Loracite saturated DNA couldn’t avoid the body’s natural fear reflex. “Clark’s father, Jonathan Kent, died in this very area.” She informed them. Actually, Jonathan had died just outside the barn, but the effect was still the same.

“Wow! That’s intense!” Dick exclaimed. “I lost my parents and brother, when I was much younger as well.” Laura could relate to that. “My parents also died when I was very young.” She admitted. Barb offered no comment, still unsure what to make of their new friend, who just happened to know Clark Kent. Her naturally suspicious nature, forced Barb to question everything, just as Bruce had taught her.

“On that depressing note, let’s check out the rest of the farm.” Laura forced a smile. She led them out of the barn and towards the corral, where two horses galloped nervously across their pen. “They’re beautiful!” Barb praised. “They certainly are.” Dick flirted, gazing into Laura’s eyes again.

She smirked playfully, catching his compliment. Barb ignored them as she watched the animals chase each other around the corral. Just beyond them was the chicken coop, and the cow pastures. Laura went on to explain the inner workings of the farm, up to and including the milking of the cows.

Suddenly, the teens were startled by a noise behind them. Laura whirled to face it, assuming an attack pose. “Hey K Girl!” Laura smiled broadly as she relaxed. The alien beauty approached them.

“Hi Laura.” Kara Kent walked over cautiously, as Dick’s eyes widened. Kara wore her common cropped midriff baring white t-shirt, blue denim miniskirt, and black, glossy boots. Her lengthy blonde hair was disheveled, as if she’d just been through a wind storm.

“Kara Kent, this is Richard Grayson and Barbara Gordon.” Laura introduced them. “They’re visiting from Gotham City.” Kara nodded. “Hello.” Her eyes went immediately to Dick’s face. “Aren’t you cold?” Barb questioned. “Oh...no, not really.” Kara stuttered. “I just got through working out.”

“Sorry to drop in unannounced, but we talked to your Aunt Martha, and she said that it was fine.” Barb sounded unusually nervous. “That’s okay. There’s really not much to see.” Kara began. Dick snickered, grinning lustily. From where I’m standing there is! He thought as Barb shot him a dirty look.

“Kara’s my BFF!” Laura said cheerfully. “Back at you!” Kara pointed playfully. Sometimes Kara can be a bit naive and self absorbed, Laura criticized silently. I hope she’s not wearing a thong underneath that miniskirt. She smirked. Imagine that sight flying over Metropolis!

“You’ve never actually been on a working farm before?” Kara grilled suspiciously, keeping in mind her hidden Kryptonian treasures, neatly placed in a cubbyhole below the barn floor. “No, we sort of live sheltered lives.” Dick ventured. “Let’s milk the cows first!” Kara said with a sparkle in her eye.

“Pass!” Barb quipped. “Just don’t milk the bull!” Laura teased the city slickers. Dick and Barb dutifully followed Kara around the farm doing chores. “K Girl!” Laura called over her shoulder. “I’m going to get some lunch and drinks set up for our guests.”

Meanwhile, back in Metropolis, Chloe was busily investigating the out-of-towners on her super computer system. “Let’s see.” She muttered. “Bruce Wayne. Yum! Rich and handsome.” She appraised. “Whoa! This guy’s loaded. Richard Grayson, ward of Wayne Estate, Barbara Gordon, the Gotham police commissioner’s daughter.” She continued to think out loud.

“It seems odd that they’d be interested in a farm, specifically Clark’s.” Chloe bit her lower lip. “Something smells, and it’s not the pollution here in Metropolis.” As if on cue, the familiar whirlwind appeared, as Clark blasted through the Watchtower Control Center.

“Geez, Clark!” Chloe protested. “You’d think I’d be used to that by now.” He ignored her comment, instead heading straight for her view screen. “I’m fine, and how’re you?” She sniped, as Clark glanced over her slim shoulder. “Hey Chloe!” Clark said shortly.

Chloe spun in her chair to face him. “Okay, talk to me! What’s on your mind? You’re not exactly your old chipper self.” He shrugged it off. “I just have a lot to think about.” Chloe’s eyes sparkled. “Sure, I bet you do!” She rode him. “What did you promise my ambitious and currently amorous cousin?”

Clark cracked a quick smile. “How did you know?” Chloe laughed. “I’m Watchtower! It’s my job to know! C’mon, spill it, space boy!” Clark sighed. “Resistance is futile, I get that!” He quipped. “I asked Lois out to dinner!” He admitted. Chloe put her tongue in her cheek.

“It’s about time! She’s been mooning over you since she mysteriously reappeared on that wrecked train!” Chloe searched Clark’s eyes for any comment. “You know, Clark, just because you and Lana went down in flames, it doesn’t mean that you and Lois would do the same!” She reminded him.

“I’m more worried about you, Chloe!” Clark changed the subject quickly. “Why?” She dead panned. “Oliver’s got me Cyber-globe hopping, playing nursemaid to his band of not so merry men.” Clark gave her ‘that look’. “Because you and Jimmy are on the outs, that’s why.” He confessed.

Chloe’s eyes began to tear. “Yeah, Jimmy and I are likely heading for splits-ville. It’s okay. I mean it’s not okay. I knew we were doomed when I started keeping secrets from him.” Clark sighed. “Preaching to the choir here. So what makes you think it would be any different for Lois and I?”

“This time, you might try telling Lois the truth up front.” Chloe suggested. “Chloe, we’ve been down that rocky road before, remember the debacle with Linda Lake?” Clark defended. “So we’re back to me leading two completely separate lives, with or without Lois.”

“True,” Chloe absently pressed some buttons on her keyboard. “I was actually considering doing the same with Jimmy. Think Ollie would let me borrow his Green Arrow outfit to disguise myself from him?” Clark smirked. “I think you could come up with a more original outfit.”

“How about a big “C” on my chest for Cyber Girl?” She joked. “Works for me!” Clark toyed with her. Suddenly something on the monitor caught his eye. “Hello? What’s this?” He directed Chloe’s attention to the farthest monitor from them. “Oops! Big Sister is watching you!” Chloe reddened.

The monitor was placed in Clark’s parents house kitchen, where Kara, Laura, and two other young people were busily snacking on a recently delivered pizza. “Chloe! You’ve got my house wired up!” Clark protested. “Now Clark, before you rip my head off, I thought it would be good to secure the house and loft when you and Kara aren’t there. Besides, I can keep an eye on Shelby/Krypto as well.”

“Fine! But you could have mentioned that.” Clark grumbled. “I suppose you forgot to tell Kara as well.” Chloe flushed a deeper red. “Yes, but look at this. Seventeen hundred thirty hours.” She gave a voice command to the monitor’s camera server. “Your cousin is squirreling away some kind of souvenirs.”

The tape clearly showed Kara hiding three objects in the floorboards of the barn. Clark sighed. “She probably hasn’t gotten a chance to tell me...” He defended as Kara flew off through the window. “She’s also not taking your advice about staying grounded. Thirteen hundred twenty two.” She ordered.

“This is two F18 jet fighters trailing airborne Barbie home from who knows where.” Chloe explained as the camera panned out, showing the jets circling aimlessly above a Kansas cornfield. “Luckily, your cousin is faster than a speeding fighter. Our boys in blue never saw her. Probably think she’s a UFO.”

“Thirteen hundred and thirty.” Chloe directed the camera playback. “Here’s your girl showing up just as Kara set back down, with a carful of laundry I might add.” The video showed Lois parking her car and dragging a few baskets of laundry into the farmhouse. “Oh yeah, Lois was...” Clark reddened.

“Listen Clark, if you ever take Lois upstairs for a ride, I’m shutting down the cameras.” Chloe teased. “Something like that could scar me for life.” Clark flushed a deeper red, and Chloe’s eyes sparkled with satisfaction. “Funny!” Clark smirked. “Lois was extremely bored, and the washing machine at her apartment condo was on the fritz. Do you have my Metropolis condo wired up as well?” He accused.

“Not yet.” Chloe defended. “Would you like me to?” Clark thought about that for a moment. “Maybe. The problem I have with it is you catching me doing a quick change into the Blur on video. That stuff has a habit of falling into the wrong hands.” Chloe considered that. “We’ll figure something out.”

“What’s all that?” Clark redirected a monitor to another screen. “Is this Tess?” Chloe nodded. “Yes. I still have several hookups that Lana left within Luthor Manor.” The video showed a feed from behind Tess’s head. Her laptop was opened to view a bald man being airlifted into a hospital wing.

“Uh oh!” Chloe commented. “You don’t suppose...?” Clark scowled. “I wouldn’t put anything past our girl Tess.” He grumbled. “Could she have cloned Lex?” Chloe asked the obvious. “I hope not. If so, we need to get all evidence, and I mean all evidence of Veritas, Krypton, and the Blur out of Tess’s hands.” Clark sighed. “It just never ends, Chlo’.” She shook her head. “This is going to be tough.”

Back in Smallville, the teens were just finishing up their pizza. Laura and Kara did the dishes, and Barb helped. Naturally, Dick just wandered away to look at the photo collection on the Kent’s fireplace mantle. “This is Clark?” He awaited confirmation, pointing to the Clark in football uniform picture.

“Yes. It’s from a few years ago.” Laura explained. Barb hurried over to see, commenting: “Wow! He’s hot!” Laura sighed loudly. Not another one, she mentally groused. Kara chuckled. “That’s my cousin!” She said proudly. At that moment, Dick had taken to checking out the other girls again. I can’t decide, he quickly fantasized. Both women have varying degrees of sexiness, he continued to muse.

“By the way, Richard.” Laura’s tone directed his attention back to her face, and off of her lower body. “We’ve been talking about a Halloween party, right here at the Kent Farm, for this coming Saturday. Will you and Barbara still be in town?” Kara looked shocked. “We have?” Laura rolled her eyes. “Didn’t you get the E Mail?” Kara shook her head. “It would be sponsored by Oliver. Clark knows.” Laura added. “It probably slipped his mind.”

“Uh, I don’t know.” Barb hedged. “We have to check with Bruce.” Kara cocked her head, casting a puzzled glance at them. “Bruce?” She parroted. “Um...yeah, he’s sort of like our big brother.” Dick stammered, nervously placing his hand behind his head, and fussing with his hair.

“He’s welcome to attend as well.” Laura threw down the gauntlet. “Can you give one of us a call back if you’ll go?” Barb nodded. “The theme is costumed super heroes.” Laura smirked, smiling brightly. “You don’t necessarily have to go that route, but most of us will be dressed in that genre.”

Kara’s eyes widened. Was Laura bluffing, or was she truly on the level? The alien beauty wondered. “Okay, thanks. We’ll check it out and let you know.” Barb replied diplomatically. Shortly thereafter, Dick and Barb mounted their motorcycles and headed back to Metropolis.

Kara watched them go, and then turned to Laura. “Are you serious? A Halloween party here, and we’re supposed to dress up like super heroes? What orifice did Oliver pull that
      out of?” She sniped. “He’s actually getting the whole crew together for a meeting.” Laura explained. “The super hero theme was meant to protect everyone’s identities from Lois, Jimmy, or anyone else not privy to the group.”

“Kal didn’t mention that at all.” Kara complained. “I guess he’s busy at the Planet, or Lois’s condo.” Laura tossed in the dig, making Kara wince. “What are you going to dress up as?” She grilled Laura. “Duh! Gold Wing of course.” Kara’s mind went a different route. “What if we all switch identities to avoid any suspicion?” Laura snapped her fingers, letting it echo throughout the silent house.

“That’s brilliant, K Girl!” She praised. “We’d better tell the boys.”

More

Comment

Originally posted by gardy1
        “True,” Chloe absently pressed some buttons on her keyboard. “I was actually considering doing the same with Jimmy. Think Ollie would let me borrow his Green Arrow outfit to disguise myself from him?” Clark smirked. “I think you could come up with a more original outfit.”

“How about a big “C” on my chest for Cyber Girl?” She joked. “Works for me!” Clark toyed with her. Suddenly something on the monitor caught his eye. “Hello? What’s this?” He directed Chloe’s attention to the farthest monitor from them. “Oops! Big Sister is watching you!” Chloe reddened.
        Cyber girl sounds like a good name to me! So the JLA is throwing a Halloween party at the farm and they're all going to switch costumes.. Now what happens when Lois shows up and sees Clark as Green Arrow (I'm guessing)?!

Great update! ppms

Comment

Great update! Can't wait to read about the Halloween party. PPMS!!!

Comment

Thanks Dark Kal and Miray, I have to finish my Gold Wing story arc first, but the Halloween episode should be coming soon. It will be the most ambitious story i've attempted so far. Thanks for reading.

gardy1

Chapter 19

Gold Wing and a Prayer cont’d

After Clark made one of his trademark blur exits, Chloe’s phone rang. “Chloe? Hey! This is Lana Lang!” Chloe’s complexion went ashen. “Hi Lana, how have you been?” She quickly regained her composure. Lana settled in for a lengthy conversation. She was currently housed in a posh condo outside of Central Arizona. “Much better now.” Lana explained her recent radical medical operations to Chloe.

The treatments Marcus Worthington and company gave her to remove the Kryptonite infection from her system had been working. It would likely still be well over a year before Lana would become safe enough to approach Clark again. Naturally, Worthington had come up with a temporary solution for her.

Chloe invited Lana out to Clark’s upcoming Halloween party before she’d fully considered the ramifications. She had no idea how close her cousin and Clark had become. Lois for the most part had avoided the subject, fearing that she’d somehow hurt her younger cousin’s feelings. Clark would just have to deal with keeping his distance from his ex lover.

“Sure, I’ll see you there.” Lana said cheerfully just before she’d hung up. Chloe couldn’t shake the feeling that she’d somehow betrayed Clark. Yet, on the other hand, it may do him a world of good knowing that Lana was on the road to recovery, she mused, rubbing her temples from the stress.

Anyway, with the whole sordid mess of Watchtower, Oliver, Lois and Clark’s relationship issues, and the trouble that she’d been having with Jimmy in their relationship, Chloe decided that everyone would just have to get over it! She went back to dutifully checking on Tess and the other troublemakers on her list.

In downtown Metropolis, at the local Bloominghales Department Store, Rosie Schmidt slunk away from her cash register near the edge of the Women’s Fashions Department. Hiding behind a large display of scantily clad mannequins, Rosie flipped on her cell phone.

“Stacker? This is Thorn.” She began warily.”I’ve got one for you.” Rosie pulled out a copy of a credit card receipt from her vest pocket. “It’ll cost you more.” On the other end of the line, Stacker didn’t sound too thrilled. “Chill, idiot! Wait until you see the mark and who’s backing the mark.”

Stacker grumbled something in reply. “No! Same deal, but at a twenty percent premium. I see the money in my account or I sell the mark to someone else. Deal with it!” Rosie snapped on her Raspberry and waited for the money transfer to be confirmed. It soon beeped the verification.

“That’s only half, jerk!” Rosie snarled. “Fine, you want to play games? I’m only giving you half the mark’s name: Barbara. I’m waiting!” She hissed. “Yeah? So how is that my problem?” Rosie protested. “Either you want the mark, or you don’t.” Stacker’s voice grew louder.

Rosie placed the cell phone further away from her ear. “So what? She’s gonna fit me for cement pumps and dump me in Metropolis Bay? I can sell this info to someone else, and not have my ass threatened. I’m waiting...trust me, it’ll be worth it.” She bargained. “Funny, how you suddenly went silent.”

“Tic Toc Stacker.” Rosie baited. “Time’s almost up.” Her Raspberry beeped as the second half of the payment showed up in her account. “That’s more like it.” She said as she quickly transferred the money to another account that Stacker didn’t know about, in case he or Switchblade decided to renege on the deal.

“Okay, the mark’s name is Barbara Gordon and she’s being bankrolled, get this, wait for it, by the billionaire, Bruce Wayne.” Rosie explained. Stacker grumbled a vague warning. “How should I know what their relationship is? Maybe he’s her sugar daddy. Not my problem.”

Rosie glanced around warily. “I got my piece of the pie, and you’ve got yours.” She continued. “Thank you for shopping at Bloominghale’s.” She sneered as she clicked off the phone. Barely a few minutes later, another call was made. This time to Jack Rotten. He answered the call. “This is J.R. Go!” He said simply. “Yo! Dawg! This is Donnie McQuinn at Hirem’s near Smallville.”

“That’s right baby, McQ has got one for you. Same payment?” Donnie’s transaction went along similarly to Rosie’s. “The mark’s name is Richard Grayson. He and some broad bought some of my western stuff today. The card is bankrolled by Bruce Wayne. Yeah, that Bruce Wayne.”

J.R. sent the same payment to McQ. “Well, Stacker.” He began after the transaction was completed. “We got two good marks. Do you know where we can pick them up?” J.R. called his cyber thief, Tekken, next. “Yup. That’s right. The Metropolis Arms Hotel. Thanks Tekken.” Stacker began to complain.

“I thought we were getting out of the kidnaping and extortion business after it went so well with that journalist, Lane, last time.” He added sarcastically. “Switchblade always says if at first you don’t succeed, grow a bigger pair.” J.R. snarled. “This time there’s no way that the Blur can know what we’re up to. Wayne’s an easy mark. He won’t want any bad publicity. He’ll probably pay up without question.”

Later that day, Dick and Barbara rode their bikes back to Metropolis. They secured them in the parking garage below the Metropolis Arms Hotel. The kids started towards the exit, when two vehicles sped up behind them. Tires squealed as Dick and Barbara separated, diving out of the way.

Dick was trying to reach his wrist com link when the first SUV fired a shot at his head. He vaulted over a parked car, and ducked as a third SUV cut off his retreat. “Nighty night!” Stacker snickered through his stocking cap mask. He fired two shots at Dick. One hit him squarely in the neck.

It was a paralysis dart. Dick crumpled to the floor. He never completed his emergency message to either Bruce or Alfred. Barbara managed to avoid the thugs a bit longer by using her gymnastics moves. She back-flipped over a parked car, and somersaulted to her left.

She was able to get out a quick 911 message through the com link to Bruce’s link server. GAR was all she had time to add to the text message before a dart took her down, midway through a cartwheel. The assailants gathered the kids and tossed them into two different SUVs.

Stacker and J.R. drove them each to a different location for safekeeping. Shortly, they would make the ransom demands to Bruce, keeping their eyes on the big prize. Barb’s 911 message had been relayed to Bruce who’d gone out to dinner with his investor clients. He excused himself and headed back to the hotel. “I’m sorry sir, that’s all that I intercepted from Mistress Barbara.” Alfred apologized.

“Don’t worry about it, old friend. We’ll find out what’s going on.” Bruce reassured him. “I’ll contact the Kents and see if they know anything.” Bruce rubbed his square jaw which had developed a case of five o’clock shadow. “GAR? What did that mean?” He thought aloud. “Garage?” Alfred blurted out.

“Sure! That’s likely it!” Bruce agreed excitedly. “But who’s garage?” Alfred inquired. Bruce snapped his fingers. “Downstairs!” He dashed to the below ground parking garage, and located the kids’ motorcycles. “They made it back here.” Bruce nervously reported into his wrist communicator.

Bruce scoured the entire area leading from the cycle pen for clues. Soon he found a yellow feathered dart about two inches long. This was the one that had missed Dick. He smelled the tip. “Paralysis dart.” He announced with confidence. “The kids were abducted.” Bruce grumbled.

As if on cue, Alfred reported the call that had just come in. “One million dollars apiece for the children’s safe return.” Bruce winced. “It’s not the money, Alfred, but how can we guarantee their safety?” Alfred had recalled something from earlier in the day.

“If I may, sir, there has been a spate of kidnaping extortion plots reported recently within Metropolis, over the last few months, by the Daily Planet. Organized crime, I suppose.” Alfred informed him. “That would be my guess.” Bruce agreed. “Why would they ask so little for ransom?”

“If they know that I’m responsible for the kids, why not demand ten times that?” Bruce pondered aloud. Alfred was at a loss. “Perhaps they only need a quick fix of sorts, and figured that you’d pay the ransom without hesitation.” Bruce stalked to the garage elevator. “And they’d be right.”

“Hmm! Perhaps a bigger fish, sir?” Alfred postulated. “Meaning that they want to pick me up instead, and the kids are just bait.” Bruce added as the elevator whirred towards the rooftop penthouse. “The problem with a fishing expedition is that it rarely works out good for the bait.”

“Might I suggest that your new friends weigh in on the abductions?” Alfred hinted, as he awaited Bruce’s arrival. “The Blur isn’t exactly going to join me for a Latte at the café.” Bruce remarked sourly. “Our friend with the arrow fetish would instantly know that the Batman and Bruce Wayne are one, since we both coincidentally showed up in Metropolis from Gotham at the same time. He’s well connected.”

“Hmm! Maybe we have a third option.” Alfred began as Bruce left the elevator, and handed him a cup of coffee. The two of them sat at the penthouse desk, each with a laptop open and ready to go. “The Daily Planet may have some additional information on the abductions...” Bruce nodded. “Especially if it fits a familiar pattern.” He finished Alfred’s statement. “The paper may have some leads.”

“Can we trust the Chief Editor to keep this in the utmost confidence?” Alfred postulated. “As far as I know, Perry White is trustworthy.” Bruce vouched for him. “I was considering talking with the actual reporters on the kidnaping cases. They happen to be Clark Kent and Lois Lane.”

Alfred’s eyebrows rose. “Of course, sir. Miss Lane was a recent abductee as well. Young Mr. Kent does seem to be in the thick of things.” Bruce bit his lower lip. “Yes, he usually seems to be in the orbit around bizarre happenings, and criminal investigations.”

Most of the criminals the Batman encountered in Gotham were psychotic and frequently unpredictable. These kidnappers were probably logical, greedy, and commonplace. That gave Bruce a distinct advantage, however, the disadvantage was their unfamiliarity with Metropolis’s layout, or the city’s billowing criminal underground. The Batman had no connections here.

Despite the Blur’s best efforts, the common, low level criminals still had the run of the city. Even Clark couldn’t prevent every mugging, armed robbery, or average assault. Eventually, the Metropolis Police Department would have to step up.

Dan Turpin was a step in the right direction. He and Lois had begun sharing information tips. Dan would also be an important MPD contact for Clark in the coming years.

more on the way in the exciting conclusion of Gold Wing and a Prayer.

Comment

Oh no Chloe.. She always has to invite Lana to ruin Lois and Clark's good time doesn't she?! Look forward to seeing how that goes, and what will happen with Gold Wing.

Great update, can't wait to see what happens next!

Comment

That's a really suspenseful story! Can't wait for more

Comment

Chapter 20

Gold Wing and a Prayer

Barbara awoke with a stiff pain in her shoulder. The right side of her thin face, specifically her cheekbone, hurt like hell. Her head throbbed like it did that one New Year’s Day a few years ago, when she foolishly got into her father, James Gordon’s, liquor cabinet.

As her senses came on line, she noted that her clothing was disheveled, but mostly intact, and she was bound to an old wooden chair with duct tape and packing string. Barb’s eyes focused on a dilapidated old wooden table just beyond her current reach. Atop it, her purse lay split wide open.

I assume that the thieves already went through my personal belongings, and helped themselves to my money, credit cards, and anything else they deemed valuable, Barb thought. Her Raspberry was likely gone as well. Fortunately, she kept no truly important data within it.

Barb leaned back in her chair and fidgeted. The duct tape held her securely. The one surprise was that the thieves hadn’t taken her bat com link. To an uneducated thug, the link appeared to be a common, inexpensive wristwatch. They hadn’t bothered to examine it closely, she observed.

Barb realized that this was no ordinary robbery. If it had been, she and Dick would likely still be strewn about the parking garage floor, or been dropped off in a seedy neighborhood alley somewhere. The true horror was that Barb realized one thing: she and Dick were merely bait...for Bruce.

She closed her eyes, which helped keep her head from spinning every time she moved. They’d been drugged, that was a fact. Barb concentrated on her surroundings, just as Bruce had taught her. A hostage situation was always a possibility in their crime-fighting world.

Barb smelled the air. It reeked of fish, mold and mildew, and spoiled meat or fruit. They were at the wharf, possibly the warehouse district along Metropolis Bay. It couldn’t be more than a twenty minute ride from downtown. The obvious problem was that Dick was nowhere to be seen. Barb called out to him, but her voice only echoed back to her.

Bruce had changed into some casual clothes and hurried over to the Daily Planet. The kidnappers had given him until noon the next day to come up with the ransom money...or else! Bruce walked into the Daily Planet lobby and after checking in with a guard, was escorted to Lois and Clark’s newsroom.

Luckily, Lois was hard at work in her cubicle, filing a story. Clark was nowhere to be found. “Miss Lane?” Bruce smiled brightly, and played at being nervous. Hello handsome, Lois thought lustily. “Bruce Wayne.” He announced himself and extended a large hand to her. Lois shook it.

“Mr. Wayne?” Lois was skeptical. “Please tell me that you’re here for an exclusive interview?” She quipped. “Not at this time, though I do need your help.” Lois narrowed her eyes. “My help?” With all of the resources of the Wayne empire behind him, how could he need my help? She silently questioned.

Lois chased any romantic notions from her head. I’ll stick with my cute, yet utterly predictable, Clark Kent. She mused. I don’t need another Oliver in my life. “How can I help?” She offered. “First, can I be assured of your utmost security in this matter?” Bruce’s tone was serious.

“Yes, of course.” She began. “Unless you’re asking me to do something illegal, immoral, or unethical.” Lois said as she offered him Clark’s chair. Hell, he’s never in it anyway, she thought sourly. “Please sit down.” Bruce related his story. “That sounds like Intergang’s MO.” Lois elaborated on her point.

“Two million dollars does sound a bit low.” She commented. “It could be that some of Intergang’s thugs went rogue, and are out freelancing.” Lois said as she pulled up her file folders and the MPD’s extensive rap sheet on Intergang. She shared a substantial amount of information with Bruce.

“You know it’s a trap, Mr. Wayne.” Lois pointed out. “Yes, but what choice do I have? I’m responsible for the kids’ predicament. Its my money the gang’s after.” Bruce stated. “We can’t go to the police.” He reminded her. “I understand.” Lois remarked. “I may know someone that can help. I have to speak with her privately, though.” Bruce nodded. “I assume that your contact will be discreet?”

Lois nodded, then turned her head to call up Chloe’s number on her Raspberry. Bruce took that few seconds to place a two inch bat shaped microphone under the edge of Lois’s desk, and slipped a WayneCo tracking device into her still open gym bag. She glanced at her laptop briefly.

“I’ll be over in the lobby.” Bruce said smiling pleasantly, as Lois waved him on. She quickly left a message on Chloe’s voice mail answering machine. By sheer coincidence, Laura Lake happened to be nosing around the Isis Foundation slash Watchtower Headquarters, and she overheard the message.

“I’d better leave Chlo’ a text message as well.” Lois muttered, as her slim fingers danced across the Raspberry’s keypad. Laura cursed vehemently. “They have Dick and Barbara!” She grumbled, and quickly changed into her Gold Wing outfit. Laura disappeared into the early evening haze.

Chloe and Clark had been dining at a nearby café, discussing the upcoming party, when they received Lois’s frantic text message. Chloe read it aloud to Clark. “Lois suspects that Intergang is responsible.” She added. “The trouble is that even my information is dated and spotty on Intergang.” Chloe reluctantly admitted. “They’re too well organized, and too new on the scene.”

“Add to that my recent obsession with your Kryptonian and Kandorian countrymen, and I’ve let Intergang slide.” Clark rubbed Chloe’s shoulder tenderly. “Don’t worry about it, Chlo’. We’ll find Mr. Wayne’s charges.” He reassured her. “By ‘we’ you mean you and I?” She fished.

“Yes. Kara and Laura as well.” Clark explained. “We can cover Metropolis and the surrounding area three times faster as a team. You can do your Watchtower thing, only this time you’ll be tracking us, as opposed to Oliver’s crew. We’ll be checking off the areas as we search, so we don’t waste any time.”

Chloe’s eyes sparkled. Despite the seriousness of the situation, she enjoyed working side by side with Clark. Chloe just wanted to make a difference, again, and she had. Back at Watchtower Base, Chloe called Gold Wing’s cell phone. “Watchtower on line!” She announced proudly.

“Already on it, Watchtower.” Laura’s excited voice crackled back. The excitable young crime-fighter zipped across Thirty Fifth street as she spoke. “What? How Gold Wing?” Chloe’s voice couldn’t hide her irritation. “Everyone has their secrets.” Laura teased. “Aren’t you always preaching about being proactive?” She countered as Clark glanced over Chloe’s slim shoulder.

“Do you know who we’re looking for, Gold Wing?” Clark asked. “Sure, Boy Scout.” Laura confirmed. “Let me upload it to you, Watchtower.” Chloe watched as Dick and Barbara’s images and data scrolled across her screen.

“Boy Scout, we need a code name for your younger half.” Laura quipped. “I have her on speed dial.” Chloe considered that for a moment. “How about Blurette?” She snickered as Clark groaned. Laura laughed loudly. “Think she’ll like it?” Chloe turned to Clark. “Any objections?”

She flipped the communicator to mute. “We don’t want Kara to steal your shtick.” Clark rolled his eyes. “Whatever! We just need to focus on locating Wayne’s kids.” Chloe switched the com back on. “No objections here, Gold Wing.” Laura quickly called Kara at the farm.

“Yo K Girl!” She greeted Clark’s cousin and explained the situation. “So we decided on Blurette.” Laura concluded. Kara winced. “It’ll do. I just hope that Richard and Barbara are okay.” Gold Wing flipped back to Chloe. “Watchtower, we have Blurette on line!” She announced.

“Great!” Clark tried to sound more serious. “Do we have a plan?” Chloe’s fingers danced across the various monitor’s keyboards. “I’ve divided Metropolis into eighteen grids.” She explained as Kara’s and Laura’s live images came into view on the monitor screens.

Chloe sent the feeds to Kara, Laura, and Clark’s Raspberry’s GPS. “Each of you will take six sectors.” She directed. Clark was amazed at Chloe’s technological proficiency. Clearly, she’d been practicing. “Blurette, you take sectors M through R. Gold Wing, you’ve already covered sector A, correct?”

“Yup.” Laura said simply. “You’ll take B through F next, leaving Boy Scout with G through L.” Chloe organized all the relevant data. “Keep in contact with each other, if you find anything, call for back up. We need to make sure that every sector is covered. Ready? Go! Watchtower out!”

Chloe sighed tiredly. “Clark, you have to call Lois back.” He frowned, watching the girls’ images disappear from the monitors. “And tell her what?’ He responded absently. Chloe shrugged. “Tell her where you’ll be, or actually where you won’t be.”

Clark shook his head. “It’s getting harder to lie to Lois every day.” Chloe sympathized with him. “I know, Clark, but you’re the one who decided not to tell her the truth.” Clark leaned against the desk. “The less she knows, the better.” He rationalized. Chloe grimaced.

“Clark, need I remind you that she already knows about Oliver, and has kept quiet.” Chloe argued. “True.” He agreed. “Now’s not the time, though.” Chloe sighed with frustration. “When is the right time, Clark? It’s obvious to everyone but you that she’s fallen in love with you. It’s only her ego that keeps her at arm’s length from you.”

“Chloe, you know that would make her a target.” Clark stubbornly countered. “Newsflash, Clark! Lois is already a target by making herself the contact for the Blur.” Clark realized that she was right. “We’ll have to continue this later. We have to find the kids. Thanks, Chloe.”

With that, he hyper sped away to his chosen sector. Chloe called Lois back. “Hey Lo’? We have our people on it.” She began without preamble. Bruce had wandered back to Lois’s desk. His bat microphone had picked up Chloe’s confirmation of course.

The bat shaped device was already feeding information back to Alfred, who was monitoring all activity from the hotel penthouse. “Where can we reach you, Mr. Wayne?” Lois asked and dutifully wrote down his response. After that, she gnawed on the eraser of her pencil.

“I’m curious though, why come to us for help?” Lois was naturally skeptical. “Couldn’t you do the same using a private investigator?” Bruce shook his head. “Too risky. It would take too long. Besides, I don’t know any reputable private eyes in Metropolis.”

“I believe in being thorough Miss Lane.” He added stoically. “The Daily Planet has a certain international reputation for getting things done. Story after story has put the newspaper in the middle of things.” Lois grinned thinly. “Don’t I know it, Mr. Wayne.”

“Please call me Bruce.” He tried not to sound like he was flirting. “If you call me Lois.” She countered. “I wish my best friend Clark Kent was here. He seems to miraculously find a way of getting things done as well.” Bruce nodded. “Uh huh!” I bet he does, Batman mused, considering the mystique surrounding young Kent and Chloe Sullivan. Bruce said his goodbyes and left.

Later, Lois informed Perry White that Wayne had been in to visit, but refrained from revealing any further information. “Lane! I smell a story here!” He growled. “Maybe so chief, maybe so. You know the rules, sources and methods, and fact checking.” Lois defended. “I can’t guarantee the lead will pan out!”

Back at the penthouse, Alfred and Bruce were listening in on Lois’s conversations. Most of which, thankfully for Clark, were common discussions. “I take it you won’t be sitting in tonight, Master Bruce.” Alfred said. “You know I won’t Alfred. I’m going to check the Metropolis Bay wharves, where low life do tend to gather. Keep me posted.”

next: Gold Wing and a Prayer conclusion

Comment

Great update! PPMS!!!

Comment

Chapter 21

Gold Wing and a Prayer conclusion, pt 1

“Watchtower to Blurette.” Chloe spoke clearly and distinctly into the voice activated software mike on her base communicator. “Do you have anything?” Kara soared over the outer rim of Northern Metropolis Bay. “I might.” Kara answered vaguely. “Noting some suspicious activity along Warehouse 23.”

“Care to be more specific?” Oliver asked. He’d joined Chloe at Watchtower Base. “It’s nothing. Just some ladies of questionable vocation trying to grab a John.” Oliver snickered. “That would be near the Admiral’s Club, Blurette.” Kara reddened as she circled to the darker side of the wharf.

“I don’t need to ask how you know that, Arrow.” Kara sniped. Chloe chuckled. “No you don’t. Keep searching Blurette.” Kara dove into an alleyway behind a darkened boat slip. “Bingo!” Kara yelped. “I found a guard watching over a beat up cargo ship called the Anna Dale.”

“That’s got possibilities.” Chloe chimed in. “There could be drugs, guns, or any number of illicit activities on board ship.” Kara used her x-ray vision to peer into the boat’s cargo bay. “I can’t quite see in. The ship must be lined with lead. Its certainly rusty enough. I’m going in. Blurette out.”

Across the bay, Clark super sped from boat slips to warehouses and back again. So far, he’d struck out. His superior hearing picked up the drone of a small craft, a twenty foot Sea Ray boat, he guessed. That by itself wasn’t interesting. What attracted his attention was that the boat came into the slip without any running lights at all. The dark shadow slowed as the pilot cut the twin engines on approach.

Clark located the small ship and decided to stake out a position atop the dimly lit Warehouse 51. Two people suddenly jogged out from behind a stack of large wooden crates. They hustled up the pier, and quickly tied the boat down, instructing the pilot to shut down his rather loud engines.

“Boy Scout to Watchtower.” Clark spoke into his voice synthesizer. “I may have something. With all the questionable activity around here it will be difficult to find the right criminal element.” Oliver nodded. “Roger that, Boy Scout. We don’t have time to bust every illicit transaction tonight, even with your hyper speed.” Chloe switched her monitor to an abandoned warehouse at the run down edge of the district.

“Gold Wing, you’re out of your sector.” Chloe pointed out. Laura sighed. “I know, Watchtower. The West Side didn’t pan out. Just the usual assortment of scum bags.” Gold Wing was perched atop a crane that overlooked the entire blighted area. “The view is lovely out here, you ought to try it some time.” She added sarcastically. “See anything unusual?” Oliver prodded.

“Let’s see, dozens of rats, many dead fish, a couple of well fed alley cats.” Laura slowly took stock of the situation. She didn’t have the ability to see through walls like Kara and Clark did, but she did possess Loracite enhanced vision that gave her the ability to see well in the dark, a very Metahuman trait.

“The smell will really wake you up.” Gold Wing sniped. “Better than a double Latte Bear Claw.” Chloe’s camera panned away from Laura for a moment. “Hello? The game is afoot.” Gold Wing announced, parroting her favorite Sherlock Holmes line. “I have another rodent issue. This one’s a bat.”

Laura vaulted from the crane onto a metal plated rooftop, and stealthily traced the building’s outline. She glided quickly across the rooftop, barely disturbing the dust with her footsteps. Gold Wing jumped at an angle to the next warehouse’s roof. She found her position and waited.

The Batman fired his grappler skyward. It arced over the edge of the warehouse roof, and clattered down beside an old rusted out air conditioning unit. The hook glinted in the hazy moonlight as the line wrapped itself around the unit, squealing slightly, as Bruce began his swing over the deserted parking lot.

He secured the line and easily vaulted upward from a lower metallic awning. Landing softly, a cloud of dust kicked up over his shiny boots. “Hi! Climb here often?” Gold Wing quipped as she stood a mere few feet from him. She’d taken a few seconds to change into her full Gold Wing costume.

Bruce’s mouth was agape. At first, he’d thought that the curvy silhouette was his sometimes nemesis, and sometimes lover, Catwoman, AKA Selena Kyle. The Batman crouched, ready to spring in any direction, if the meeting went suddenly south on him. “Relax Bats, I’m on your side.” Laura had snapped on her own voice synthesizer. “At least I think I am.”

“So, out for a moonlight stroll, or just avoiding traffic?” Gold Wing asked cynically. “Something like that.” Bruce replied in a feigned deep voice. “I happen to be looking for a couple of friends of mine.” Gold Wing nodded, as she carefully encircled him. “They wouldn’t happen to be a guy and girl about eighteen or nineteen years old, by any chance would they?” Laura fished.

“Who’s asking?” Batman hedged as he straightened up, his hand not very far from his gold utility belt. “I’m known as Gold Wing, and no you wouldn’t have heard of me. I’m kind of new to the whole capes and cowls crime fighter thing.” Bruce’s eyes narrowed. “What do you know?”

“Lots of stuff, Bats.” Gold Wing teased. “Let’s just say that there are more eyes out there looking for your pals than you realize.” Bruce recalled hearing Chloe’s comment about her team being on it. He relaxed his posture. But what to do now? He mused. “I assume that you’re working for Mr.Wayne?” Laura asked. Her query was greeted by a simple grunt.

The clouds parted, and the half moon was bright enough to highlight Laura’s gold mask, and vaguely trace Bruce’s features. “We can team up.” Laura suggested. “I’m not much of a team player.” Bruce countered. “Then you’ll fit right in.” Gold Wing echoed Oliver’s sentiments about his ragtag group of people with unusual abilities. “Follow me.” Laura directed as Batman reluctantly agreed.

“Try and keep up, Bats.” Laura teased as she glanced back over her shoulder at the Dark Knight. Laura had purposely reduced her Loracite intake, rendering her only slightly more powerful than a normal human. It was a way to retain her humanity, and control her body’s Loracite addiction.

This, however made her much more vulnerable to a gun, fire, or knife attack. Gold Wing leapt easily from rooftop to rooftop. Bruce kept up, alternately using his athletic ability and Bat Grappler, until he caught up to Laura. “Mind telling me where we’re going?” Batman inquired.

“The country as a whole is going to hell in a handbag.” Laura’s eyes sparkled, as she made the cynical remark. “I meant where we’re going right now.” Bruce countered sourly. “I’ve searched most of this sector already. There’s only a few more warehouses to search on this end.” Laura added.

“Our other team members haven’t come up with any leads yet.” She sidestepped a broken metallic chimney, as Bruce vaulted over it. “It stands to reason that after all other areas have been investigated, what remains, however unlikely, holds the answer.” Laura quoted. “Sherlock Holmes, right?” Bruce smirked.

“Exactly.” Laura replied as she slowed to check a partially open skylight. Across the Bay Area, Clark had come across a patch of good luck. The suspicious Sea Ray boat had indeed yielded a lead. The angry thugs scurried inside the warehouse, and Clark super sped over to it, zipping in behind them, causing a whirlwind of dust, papers, and assorted debris to form.

Clark now used his x-ray vision. In a locked room lay a young woman. She was bound to a chair, and had managed to knock the chair onto the filth ridden floor. She crawled towards a table, inch by inch, painfully trying to limit any noise such as the squeal of the chair against the cement floor.

Instead of reporting in to Watchtower, which would waste valuable time, and increase the chance of him being seen, Clark quickly burst through the locked door. It crumpled and flew above the stricken girl’s head. In the blink of an eye, he’d freed the girl, stood her up, and carried her past the angry guards.

Clark hyper sped the girl all the way back to the Daily Planet, where Lois was still hard at work on tomorrow’s lead story. Her notes scattered across the cubicle as Clark’s whirlwind wake took hold. “Hello?” Lois gaped at Barbara, who stared back at her blankly. The younger woman dizzily fell to the floor. Lois picked her up and sat her in Clark’s chair. “It was him, wasn’t it?” Lois smiled brightly.

“I..um..” Barbara stuttered as the room spun for a moment. She closed her eyes and the nausea faded. “I guess so. I mean, I have no idea how I got here.” Lois got Barb a tall glass of cold water. “Thanks.” Batgirl drank it up quickly. She’d become dehydrated. “I suppose you didn’t see him, the Blur?” Lois probed. “No, but I wish I could thank him personally.” Barb replied.

“So do I sister, so do I.” Lois said as she stood with her hands on her hips. Clark called Chloe back. “Watchtower, target one is secure. Closing in on a possible second target. Boy Scout out.” Chloe shook her fist in the air. “Yessss!” Oliver applauded as he watched Gold Wing and Batman scamper across the rooftops on the other monitor.

more

Comment

Awesome! PPMS!!!

Comment

Chapter 22

Kara’s lead began to pan out. She landed softly on the deck plate of the cargo ship Anna Dale. Kara crouched down behind a curved bulkhead, after noting approaching footsteps. Since most of the ship was lined with lead, her x-ray vision was basically worthless. She relied on her superior hearing.

Kara stealthily scurried to a shadowy area behind some filthy steps leading up towards the ship’s bridge. She zipped into hyper speed, crossing the open areas on the ship in the blink of an eye. Slowing back to normal pace, she spied a thin hatch that was locked near the aft cargo bays. She could see through this sheet metal at least.

Gazing down into the darkness, Kara could place a series of cabins below deck. She ripped the hatch up, tearing through the lock, and bent the sheet metal backwards. Kara leapt down to the lower deck floor. These walls were lined with lead as well. She’d have to investigate the old fashioned way.

Several cabins were unoccupied, and their doors were wide open. Kara found three that were locked. Her hearing picked up some footsteps behind her. She slid into a linen closet, and peered through the simple steel frame door. Two armed crewmen had been patrolling the corridors adjacent to Kara’s location.

They went on their way, and Kara ripped open the nearest cabin door. Empty! Though someone had stocked it with clothes and scattered belongings. She tore the next door off its hinges, and placed it inside the cabin. Empty! “Hey! Bucky! Check this out!” A crewman shouted and pointed at Kara.

“Crap!” Kara exclaimed. She hadn’t heard the crewman’s advance as she made noise with the doors. “What are you on about, George?” A second crewman jogged towards them.
                          Kara quickly zipped into hyper speed, giving the crewman the idea that she’d disappeared. “Blimey!” George rubbed his eyes.

“Here now, what’s all the ruckus?” Bucky asked, now standing beside George. “I saw a beautiful young woman right there!” George gestured to the space that Kara had occupied. “I bet you did, George!” Bucky chuckled.

“Been nipping at the sauce have you? Don’t let the Cap’n catch you then. Best take a quick nap and sleep it off. I’ll cover for you...for a small fee!” Bucky added half-seriously. “Maybe she was a ghost!” George snickered. “She was a hot bird though!”
                          Kara sped around a corner, and found another locked door.

She ripped that one open as well. “Bingo!” She smiled. In the darkened room’s center was a chair that had been toppled over. A series of recently cut roughly hewn ropes lay scattered about the floor, near the chair.

“Yah!” A male voice shouted, and slammed a lead pipe across Kara’s back. Naturally, it curled around her thin frame. Kara whirled and grabbed the attacker by the throat and held him a foot or so above the floor. The pipe clattered noisily to the ground. “Aack!” The young man choked under Kara’s grip.

She examined her assailant closely. It wasn’t Richard Grayson! “Who are you?” Kara snarled as she released the pressure on his windpipe. “Greg Beamen.” He replied hoarsely. Kara had snagged the wrong guy!

more

Comment

“Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot!” Kara exclaimed. “What’re you doing here?” Greg hacked loudly. “That depends on where here is!” He gasped. “How did you...I mean, I hit you full on with the pipe. What are you, made of, steel?” Kara sighed. “The pipe was likely rusted through. What do you mean that depends where here is?” She scowled.

“I mean one minute I was partying with my bros, and the next I woke up here in this rat infested ship.” Greg explained. “You don’t know where you are?” Kara cocked her head. “Well, duh! I was walking along Fisherman’s Row, my Homies and I had a few cocktails, we stopped off at a girlie club called Polecats, checked out some total babes, and when we left some dudes jumped us.”

“Where’s Fisherman’s Row?” Kara inquired. “It’s right past Fourth and Vine, you can’t miss it.” Greg began. “What town is that near?” Kara quietly continued the discussion. “Coast City of course, why?” Greg was either dumb or truly puzzled, Kara couldn’t tell which.

“Coast City is nearly three thousand miles from here!” Kara blurted. “What?” Greg gasped. “You’re in Kansas, Metropolis Bay, to be specific.” She added. “Major bummer! This sucks, dude!” Greg yelled. “Quiet! You’ll attract the guards!” She warned. “Guards?” Greg echoed, but it was too late.

“Well Bucky, what have we here?” George sneered. “I told you that I saw her!” The two guards trained their weapons at Kara and Greg. “So you did, mate!” Bucky’s hulking form entered the room. “Well muffin, I guess the three of us are going to have a little party.” He threatened lustily.

“Three of us?” Greg echoed. George clicked off the safety on his weapon. “Yes, you little weasel. You, we don’t need.” He aimed the automatic pistol at Greg’s head. Kara immediately placed herself between the gunmen and Greg. He hunched down behind her, crouching as low as he could.

Kara snorted. “Heart of a lion, this one.” She grumbled. “Greg, do you get motion sickness?” She sneered. “Huh? No, I don’t think so, what the hell does that have to do with anything? We’re gonna die!”

“No we’re not.” Kara shifted her weight to face the attackers. “Trust me!”

In the blink of an eye, with one smooth motion, Kara spun, grabbed Greg by the shirt, and went into hyper speed straight at Bucky and George. They fired two shots each. Kara watched as the bullets spun past her and Greg and hit the leaded wall behind them with a series of thuds.

Bucky flew across the room, ending up sprawled out in a corner, while George was knocked forward into a nearby bulkhead. Their guns clattered to the floor. The noise would surely alert the others. Kara dashed up the stairs, and over the deck, with Greg in tow.

She vaulted high into the air and dove over the side of the ship into the cold Metropolis Bay water. In seconds, she’d dragged Greg onto dry land, and hidden him behind an abandoned warehouse, which shielded the view from the crew of the Anna Dale.

Greg dizzily came to, spewing water all over Kara. “Terrific!” She hissed, and quickly spun herself dry. “Whoa! You are one crazed chick! That was a mondo save! Did you have to almost drown me?” He whined, irritating the super girl. “Either that, or they would have filled you full of holes!” Kara sniped.

“Are you some kind of space alien?” Greg guessed correctly, stunning Kara into silence. “Uh...” She hesitated. “I know, you’re an angel! Awesome! Where’s your wings?” Greg kept annoying her. That gave Kara a mean spirited idea. “I’m going to tell all my friends about you!” He kept digging himself in deeper. Kara took a breath and stared at Greg, forcing her eyes to flare a brilliant red.

“Whoa!” Greg gasped, nearly choking on his own spit. “Wrong guess, surfer boy!” Kara menaced. “I’m a demon! If you ever mention this to anyone, I’ll stalk you and melt your brain!” She snarled. “Then, I’m going to haunt you forever!” Greg suddenly shivered as Kara let her eyes flare yellow.

“My lips are sealed, sweetie!” Greg shuddered, partially from the cold, and partially from being scared half to death. Kara blew her hot breath on his clothes to dry them. “And don’t call me sweetie!” She added for emphasis. “Now, where are the rest of your friends? I’m going to search the ship!”

“I don’t know.” Greg sighed. “We were drunk and knocked out cold.” Kara relaxed her posture and cooled her eyes back to normal. “Names, Greg! Give me their names!” She insisted on bringing him back to reality. “What’re you gonna do with them?” He asked warily. Kara decided to play the game some more. “I’m going to save them...for myself!”

She grinned evilly. “Possibly send their souls to eternal damnation. Or not.” She smirked. After getting the info from Greg, she ordered him to run up the wharf and onto the street and make a phone call to the police. Of course, she had to give him the money for the phone booth call.

After he was out of sight, Kara laughed hysterically, and reported in to Watchtower. She continued to search the area for the missing Coast City kids.

Comment

Bump!

Comment

Hi Schatzie,

What does 'Bump' mean?

Did you like the story so far or no?

Thanks
                                gardy1

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀