No announcement yet.

Metropolis, 2010 by Gardy1

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metropolis 2012 – If The Cape Fits

Clark had caught a break as Perry yelled for Jimmy to get going on running the pictures of Superman, Supergirl, and Lois, first in the newspaper, and then posting them on line at the Daily Planet website. He casually pretended to be talking on his cell phone and wandered towards the office supply room.

Daily Planet employees often hid out in the storeroom to make personal calls without Perry noticing them, so no one in the newsroom paid him any mind. He x-rayed the area and then leapt out the window, soaring upward back to the rooftop. Lois waited impatiently, holding her arms close into her body. He sped to a stop. “How’d it go?” She questioned. “Good enough! Jimmy and Perry bought it.”

Clark quickly relayed the scene. Lois shivered. “Where’s Kara?” He prodded. “She is doing some aerial aerobics or something, strafing the city streets.” She replied. “I think she’s just showing off!” Clark scowled as he spoke. “No, Kara decided to keep the main populace distracted.” Lois defended. “That keeps their attention off of us on the roof.” Clark was silent, quickly realizing his mistake.

“You know, Clark, Kara is doing a lot more for you than you realize.” Lois preached. “True.” He agreed. “Even though technically, she’s older than me, I still think of her as little more than a teenager.” Clark admitted. “She does have a certain innocence about her.” Lois considered.

“I kind of feel bad that she doesn’t really have any friends, other than ours.” Clark mused. “I mean she still has Laura Lake and Tim Servo, but they’re out in Nebraska living their own lives.” Lois nodded. “We have to let her make her own way, and choose her own path.” She added. “We can’t choose her friends for her, or recommend she stay away from new people.”

“Kara also has to develop her Linda Lee Danvers alter ego, if she wants to live some semblance of a normal life on Earth.” Clark reminded her. “We can help her with that.” Lois offered. “I recommended to Perry that we hire Linda Lee as an Assistant Copywriter. He hasn’t gotten back to me yet.”

“That’s a start. Thanks Lois!” Clark’s mood lightened. “Ready to go?” Lois smirked. “I’m always ready to go!” She flirted. Clark slipped back into his Superman outfit, grabbed Lois, and vaulted off the roof, soaring downward towards the Daily Planet parking garage. He had noted that there was less of a chance of them being seen as they launched from their perch. He flew past Kara.

The Daily Planet building was only a few blocks away from the major Metropolis media hub of TV and radio stations. Kara followed along as Clark and Lois slowed down just long enough for the TV and radio station personnel to catch a glimpse of them. The traffic gridlocked below, as everyone stopped to gape at the surreal scene. Fortunately, no major accidents were caused by the display.

“What the hell’s that?” A foreign taxi driver exclaimed loud enough for all to hear. “Is it a flock of birds?” A young woman that had been jogging by asked. “Is it a plane?” A nearsighted old man questioned. “It’s some kind of new stealth government weapon.” A tall thin college aged boy commented. “It’s probably a set of drones!” A tough looking young woman remarked. A man tossed his partially finished wine bottle in a bag into a city trash can. “The end is near!” He yowled as he staggered from the scene.

Convinced that Metropolis had gotten good glimpses of them, Clark, Lois, and Kara headed away from the city, opposite the route towards Smallville, flying higher as they retreated. They doubled back after passing Grandville and streaked towards the Kent Farm.

Martha and Jonathan Two smiled as the young people approached. The couple sat relaxing on the old front porch swing, each downing a large glass of iced lemonade. Kara led, diving downward out of the clear blue Kansas sky. “How did it go?” Martha asked anxiously, as Clark and Lois slowed their flight.

Kara landed smoothly on the gravel access road that angled toward the Kent barn. Clark landed awkwardly, sliding along the driveway and into the saw grass that edged the property. To his credit, he never dropped Lois, or caused an embarrassing spill.

“Amazingly, according to clockwork.” Lois answered cheerfully. “Great job everyone!” Jonathan praised as Kara sped into the house and flipped on the TV. “We’re all over the news!” Kara exclaimed, laughing as she spoke. Lois and Clark followed Kara into the living room.

“Here we are again!” Kara exclaimed excitedly. The local TV news stations flashed the films of Clark and Lois soaring above the rooftops with Kara trailing them at a short distance. “See? I told you the cape would look great while you’re flying.” Martha commented playfully.

After the preliminary newsflashes ended, the TV commentators promised a follow up story, though they didn’t know that Clark and Kara had already decided to give the exclusive interviews to the Daily Planet. The newspaper’s sister stations on radio and TV were next, after the Daily Planet had posted the stories on line. Clark zipped into his street clothes and reclined on the family room couch.

Lois took up a spot opposite him, across the living room coffee table. “Ready for our hard hitting interview, hon?” Lois asked, grinning broadly, and clearly enjoying her opportunity to put Clark on the spot. Lois sat cross-legged in the rocking chair. “Let’s make this interesting, sweetie.” She encouraged him, recognizing that he was still fairly nervous about revealing the circumstances of his existence to the public. In support of their adopted son’s ‘coming out’ interview, Martha and Jonathan two looked on.

Kara sat on the coffee table between them. Clark took a breath. “Let’s get this started.” He sounded confident to Lois and at peace with his decision to become more public. Lois switched on the small recorder that she’d brought with her. “The people of the world for the most part, had been unaware that actual life existed elsewhere in the universe.” Lois began the introduction in a professional manner. “Superman, what do you think of us?”

Clearly, Lois would be pulling no punches. Clark switched on his voice synthesizer. “The people of Earth seem to be a noble people, and everyone that obeys the law need not fear us.” Clark said with authority, sending chills down Lois’s spine. “I know this concept will take some time to get used to.” He continued. “We intend to prove ourselves every day.” Lois smiled and switched off the recorder.

“That was good, hon.” She praised. “I think that I ought to expand on that in the paper article. Let’s start with the basics.” She flipped on the recorder again. “Superman, who are you?” Lois grilled.
    “Well, Miss Lane…” Clark began. “Lois. Please.” She corrected. “Very well, Lois, we are friends to the people of Earth.” Clark typed on the laptop. “Were you known as the Blur?” She questioned. “I was.” He responded. “Do you mind if we call you Superman?” Lois’s eyes sparkled. She was really enjoying this.

“If you think that it’s something people could relate to.” Clark answered stiffly. “Where are you from?” Lois baited. “Supergirl and I are the last living descendants from a planet called Krypton. Our sun went supernova, destroying most of its planetary systems. Millions of lives were lost, including our parents. That doomed race continues on through us.” Clark concluded seriously as Lois switched off the device.

“That’s good, Clark.” Lois commented. “That will really tug on people’s heartstrings.” Martha agreed, adding only: “We can say that you and Kara are refugees. That guarantees you both a slew of constitutional rights. You’ll have to take the citizenship test and all that, but I know you’ll both do well.” Kara scowled. “Doesn’t that limit what Kal and I can do, Aunt Martha?”

“Yes, but for now, you two should concentrate on helping the people of Metropolis, and then the United States, before you get mixed up in international politics.” Martha lectured. “The American government will still have a boatload of questions.” Lois reminded them crossly, adding: “Welcome to Earth, Clark, and all of its red tape.” Clark grimaced. “Terrific!” He groaned. “We just got the government off our backs last year!”
    Jonathan Two shook his head. “You two will still have to face the religious, the suspicious, and the overbearing.” He advised. “Overbearing?” Clark echoed. “Yes Clark.” Jonathan continued. “You and Kara will become instant celebrities, and not just of America, but the world. You’ll have to get used to that as well.” Martha frowned. “Let’s not put too much pressure on them, Jonathan.” She scolded.

“We’ll only grant these two preliminary interviews and then go silent.” Clark considered. “Maybe the majority of the public will lose interest after a little while.” Kara folded her arms. “Humans do tend to have short attention spans.” She observed. “We can only hope.” Clark said as he rolled his eyes.

“Anyway, Smallville, back to the interview.” Lois tried to refocus them. She restarted the recorder. “Why are you here?” She began. “Our parents thought that we’d have the best chance of surviving on Earth.” Superman responded. “What will you do while you’re here?” She inquired. “Help save Earth.” Clark stated flatly. “Save Earth from what?” Lois dropped the tone of her voice to sound concerned.

“Save Earth from unfriendly races who might try to destroy it or enslave its people.” Superman replied soberly. “Earth is our home now, if its people will have us. In return, both Supergirl and I intend to defend it, to our deaths if necessary.” Clark gulped as his brave and noble words began to set in.

Lois flipped off the recorder, and sat in uncomfortable silence. “That’s kind of heavy, hon.” She finally said. “Do you think that we should go there in our first interview?” Clark was still debating the statement. “It’s the truth, Lois. We have to leave it in there.” He decided. “Okay. Got It.” She agreed. “We should also go with something more lightweight.” Lois recommended. “This is harder than I thought.” Clark admitted.
    The back and forth went on for some time. “If we go to the light and airy stuff, the truth is that the mainstream media wants to know the most insignificant details about a celebrity’s life.” Lois said cynically. “Like what?” Clark asked curiously.

“Like, do you have a girlfriend?” Lois suggested, her eyes twinkling, as Clark reddened. “You better not.” She playfully teased. “If I say yes, then the media will want to know who.” He replied with some irritation in his voice. “If he says no, then some girls will literally be throwing themselves at him.” Jonathan Two put in. “Maybe we should stay away from that one.” Martha quipped.

“I guess.” Lois relinquished. “We’ll have to keep it really simple to avoid a lot of controversy.” Lois switched on the recorder again after the room had silenced. “Our parents sent us here because they loved Earth, and they didn’t want to see anything bad happen to it, or face the same destruction that Krypton did.” Clark stated seriously as Lois gave him the thumbs up.

She mouthed the words ‘nice touch’. “Supergirl and I pose no threat to anyone on Earth, and we are not above its laws.” Clark added sternly. “That will set most peoples’ minds at ease.” Lois commented. “How can we reach you for follow up?” She threw in the obligatory question. “I’ll be around.” Clark said evasively. “Protecting the earth and its inhabitants is a huge responsibility Superman.” Lois began to close the interview. “Are you sure that you two are up for it?” Kara snickered quietly and mouthed the word ‘nice’.

“All I can say is that every day we will do our best.” Clark replied diplomatically. Lois clicked off the recorder. By now, the video clips were all over the TV airwaves, and the internet, of Superman, Supergirl, and Lois. Clark couldn’t help wondering if hadn’t just allowed Lois to open Pandora’s Box.

Continues in 'Edge of Darkness'

Comment

• Interview With a Super Girl

Lois Lane passed by the drying bales of hay that were neatly stacked next to the Kent barn. “Ah choo!” She sneezed repeatedly. “Bless You!” A young female voice said from somewhere above her. “Thank You!” Lois replied as she wistfully glanced up at the window that led to the loft apartment in which she had spent so much time with Clark. Life was much simpler then, she mused.
      Kara Zor El Kent floated gracefully down from the clouds that dotted the blue Kansas sky. She landed beside Lois, as the ace Daily Planet reporter sniffed, and wiped away a tear that had formed in the corner of one big brown eye. She brought to a halt her reminiscent walk and faced the young alien.

Kara’s usually clean, form fitting white t-shirt with the ubiquitous “S” shield at its center, was soiled and slightly torn. “What happened to you?” Lois smirked, continuing, “You run into some air turbulence?”
      Kara laughed. “No. As I was flying in over the west pasture, I noticed that some livestock had gotten trapped in a muddy bog.” The alien beauty explained. “So, I spent a few minutes digging the cattle out and carrying them off to a flat, drier plain on the east end of the property.”

“I guess the life of a superhero isn’t always glamor, glitz, and glory.” Lois snickered as she spoke. “I can see the headline now ‘Supergirl saves cows, apocalypse averted!” She needled. Clark’s young cousin laughed heartily. “Ready for our interview, Kara? Inquiring minds want to know.” Lois teased.
      “Let me get cleaned up first.” Kara said as she vaulted upward. “Thanks, I’d appreciate it…” Lois began as the supergirl disappeared from sight. “I still hate it when they do that.” Lois grumbled aloud. She resumed her walk towards the large yellow and brown Kent family farmhouse.

By now, Kara had been in the shower and grabbed some fresh clothes. She zipped back to Lois just as the ace reporter had reached the front porch, appearing beside her. “Geez!” Lois was still startled. “You know, I never really get used to that.” Kara smiled and gestured Lois inside.
      Clark and Lois had purchased a condo townhome near central Metropolis after their wedding, mostly for appearances sake, so Kara had the farm to herself. It would be some time before Martha Kent and Jonathan Two would return and settle down back in Smallville. Senator Kent’s term was nearly up, and she had announced her intention to retire.

Clark and Kara really didn’t need much sleep, so one or the other would keep the farm running. During the day, the alien heroes tended to their mundane jobs, leaving most of the common crimes to the Metropolis Police Department. As Linda Lee Danvers, Kara had become an office assistant to Lois and the rest of the Daily Planet staff. Her brunette wig, and mousy glasses limited anyone’s suspicions.
      At night, the super-powered crime-fighters cleaned up the city and suburbs, capturing every conceivable offender and dumping them off at the MPD lockup. There were still plenty of perps to put behind bars. Since the Blur had first appeared, the crime rate had steadily declined. Amazingly, all crime never really stopped. The criminal element just didn’t get the message.

“Let’s get right into it.” Lois urged, as she sat down at the Kent’s kitchen table, across from Kara, and flipped on her personal recorder. She tapped away on her laptop, creating the headlines. “Why choose the name Super Girl?” Lois began the interview. “I wanted a name that would hide my secret identity, and something that everyone could relate to.” Kara’s gave a well-rehearsed response.
      “Fair enough.” Lois remarked. “Why are you here?” She prompted. “Our parents were dysfunctional, like many of Earth’s families, but we knew one thing: Our parents loved us.” Kara said sincerely. “Ultimately, that’s why they sent Superman and I here. Our home worlds of Krypton, Kandor, and Argo were on the verge of destruction. Our red sun, Kryptos was about to go supernova.”

“The scientific community debated and debated the annihilation of the Krypton System.” Kara continued. “Soon, it was too late. The red star literally pulled apart our planets, and nearly everyone was destroyed. Superman and I were saved, just as the solar system tore itself to pieces.”
      “How sad.” Lois played up her part well. “So you and Superman are actually refugees from a series of doomed planets.” She clarified. “That’s correct, Miss Lane.” Kara said sourly. She had been studying how humans responded to questions and how they reacted to sad or bad news.

Lois flipped off her personal recorder. “That will really tug at the public’s heart strings.” She added. “We want to cover some really intimate things about you that people may want to know, probably something that they can relate to.” Kara gulped. “How intimate?” She asked Lois nervously.
      Lois smiled as Kara squirmed in her seat. “Don’t worry, I’ll keep it PG-13.” She needled the young alien. “I’m sure Clark would appreciate that, too.” Kara countered, regaining her composure. “Ready?” Lois prompted as Kara nodded. Lois had restarted her recorder.

“Supergirl, do you have a boyfriend or anything?” Lois began playfully, as Kara reddened. “Uh no, Miss Lane, I’m not sure that Kryptonian and human physiology are compatible.” She evaded. Lois’s eyes sparkled, because she knew from personal experience that the biology was certainly compatible.
      Kara just didn’t want to attract any unnecessary attention. “We still eat, drink, sleep, and think the same way as humans do.” She clarified, adding: “Our parents chose Earth because they had known of your race for eons, and believed the denizens of Earth to be an honorable people.”

Lois gave Kara the thumb up, mouthing the word ‘nice’. Kara took a breath and continued on. “Our scientists were considered to be among the most advanced in the known galaxy. It was they, specifically Superman’s father and mother, who determined that we would have the best chance of survival if we made it to Earth.” Lois grinned, commenting: “That makes sense.”
      “Who among us wouldn’t wish the same for our children, if we found ourselves in the same dire situation?” Lois argued forcefully. “What will you be doing while you’re here on Earth, Supergirl?” She continued. “We had hoped that Earth’s people would welcome us into their home.” Kara began sincerely. She and Lois had rehearsed that line earlier. “That shouldn’t be a problem.” Lois remarked. “There are plenty of resources for everyone, including a couple of intergalactic refugees.”

“Moving on.” Lois invited. “How about doing what I call a lightning round? Meaning, I ask you some questions and you just give simple, short answers?” Kara took a breath before replying. She and Lois had also been practicing this segment of the interview. “Sure, Miss Lane, I’ll do my best.”
      “Okay, let’s begin.” Lois checked her recorder’s tape, to make sure they had enough room left for Kara’s responses. “Do you believe in God?” Lois started with a tough one. “I believe that people choose to believe what they want to, and I’ll respect that, including the right not to believe.”

Lois gave her another thumb up. “What about the world’s religions? They always seem to be in conflict.” Lois jabbed. “I believe that everyone should respect each other’s religious rights, with the exception of those religions that permit or encourage bringing harm or death to another person based on their beliefs or non-beliefs.” Kara responded earnestly, garnering another ‘nice’ from Lois.
      “I don’t want to interfere in the lifestyles people of Earth decide to follow, but again, when these lifestyles bring hurtfulness and death to others, they should be prosecuted to the full extent of Earth’s laws.” Kara freelanced. “Superman and I have said that we are not above the law.”

“On a lighter note, how is it that you and Superman can defy gravity? Fly?” Lois switched gears. “As I understand it, Krypton had a much heavier gravity pull, based on our red sun. Once Superman and I entered Earth’s gravity well, it appears that we automatically can defy Earth’s lighter gravity pull.”
      “How is it that you and Superman are virtually indestructible?” Lois posed their rehearsed queries. “Our bodies have a much higher density, meaning our cell structure is very hard and tightly packed, compared to humans.” Kara replied without hesitation, though they agreed not to say much more than this.

“In closing, Supergirl, how do you see yourself, now that you will be living indefinitely with us humans?” Lois wanted to end the interview on a positive note. “Both Superman and I would like to be seen as friends first, to the people of Earth, and its protectors second.” Kara answered vaguely.

“Protectors? From what?” Lois feigned surprise. “Now that the people of Earth know that they are not alone in the universe, you all might as well know that other interplanetary races exist, and many of them are conquerors, and mean, vindictive, beings. Earth is no longer safe from them, and I would suggest that all of the countries of the world consider banding together to fight as one.” Kara said with some menace in her adolescent sounding voice. “We will be here to help in any way we can.”

A chill still ran down Lois’s spine. Though Kara had relayed the answers exactly as they’d rehearsed, the reality still seemed to be setting in, even after their brushes with Darkseid, Zod and the Kandorians, Doomsday, and the rest. This and Superman’s interviews had instantly changed the world. Earth would never be the same again. Lois had indeed finally gotten out the story of her lifetime.
      “Thank you Super Girl.” Lois said, and despite her best efforts, her voice had still sounded shaky as she closed the interview. “Thank you, Miss Lane. We’ll be around.” Kara said as Lois flipped off her recorder. “So, how did I do?” the alien beauty wondered. “Far better than I expected Kara, well done. “ Lois praised though she still hadn’t shaken off the interview’s dire ending.

Comment

• Metropolis: The Continuing adventures of Superman

News Flash – Metropolis 2017

“The ultimate battle of good and evil begins.”

Lois Lane-Kent yawned as she flipped on her laptop computer. “What’s new in the world today, Perry?” She asked her new Chief Editor. “That’s what I pay you to find out.” Perry jabbed playfully as he glanced at Clark Kent’s empty desk. “I take it that Kent is on a coffee and donut run, Lois.” He added.

“You got it, Chief!” Lois answered. “Nothing gets past you, Perry!” As if on cue, Clark Kent waltzed into the cubicle filled newsroom, a dozen doughnuts, and four steaming hot cups of coffee in hand. “Only four cups?” Perry asked with feigned disappointment. “That’s all that I could carry, Chief.” Clark defended. “It’s not as if I’m Superman or something.” Lois perked up with Clark’s witty retort.

Just then, Cat Grant and Jimmy Olsen walked in. Cat was wearing a bright red, slinky, revealing dress, and Jimmy was buried beneath a set of four distinctly different cameras. “Look what the cat dragged in.” Perry needled them, making Lois and Clark crack up. Cat Grant’s bright toothy smile quickly turned to a pouting grimace. “Nice!” She deadpanned. “I assume that you two know the office opens at 8 AM.” Perry chastised. “Olsen! Do you really need all of those cameras?” Perry grumbled.

“You do know that this is the age of digital photography?” The Chief Editor criticized. “Yeah Chief.” Jimmy responded as he set the lot of them down on a table near the main office copier machine. “Except that those cheesy cell phone cameras don’t have the range of the older models. I mean what if Superman or Supergirl fly by, the little hand held cameras might not have the shutter speed.”

“Jimmy! Don’t argue with your boss.” Cat snapped. “That’s not a good career move.” Perry smirked as Lois’s smartphone beeped. She’d set it up to track any national or international news alerts that may need her attention. Generally, the major broadcast networks would release an important story before many of the reporters in the newspaper publishing field would become aware of it. That was a reality of life in the twenty-first century social media world. The newspaper industry had been shrinking.

“Ooh Perry!” Lois read the newsflash excitedly. “This sounds like a good story to follow up on.” She explained as Clark, Cat, and Jimmy looked on. “Dr. Barry Allen has come out of a coma in Central City University Hospital. The spark states that he seems fine, but his metabolic rate has gone off the charts. The medical team wants to keep him under observation for a while, but he’s already up and walking around. This would be a great human interest story.” She finished reading the update.

“Maybe I can snag an interview with him.” Lois offered. “Good eye, Lois! Make it happen!” Perry directed. “See, now that’s what I’m talking about people, initiative.” He lectured. Lois was instantly on the phone with the care unit of CCUH, where Dr. Allen had been photographed.

Clark settled down in his cubicle next to Lois, and listened to both sides of the conversation. “Are you a friend or relative of Dr. Allen, Miss…?” The receptionist asked warily. “Lane, Lois Lane of the Metropolis Daily Planet.” She replied. “No, but as soon as he is able can you ask Dr. Allen to contact me for an interview?” Lois pushed and prodded, as Perry looked on with appreciation.

“What’s so special about Dr. Allen?” Cat Grant asked as she combed her lengthy reddish brown hair, and placed it behind her ears. “Cat, if you spend less time digging through the tabloids, society pages, and various Papparazzi files, you might have heard of Dr. Allen, unless you want to remain a fashion reporter for the rest of your life.” Lois criticized, finally getting the upper hand on her colleague.

“An experimental particle accelerator malfunctioned, and Dr. Allen was severely injured in the blast, along with many others. The bizarre thing was that he wasn’t burned at all in the blast, but yet it knocked him unconscious and put him in a coma for months.” Lois informed them. “Dr. Allen wasn’t a very high profile person before the accident. He has a doctorate in forensic sciences, and a minor in criminal science. What stands out is that Allen survived the fiery blast without permanent damage.”

“See, that’s exactly it, Cat.” Perry interrupted. “That’s good follow up by Lois. She kept her ear to the internet, so to speak. We should always be thinking about that next story. Lois kept the Allen story in mind, though there had been no information about him or the accelerator accident for weeks.”
        All of this time, Clark had been silently considering what exactly had happened to Barry Allen. He was no physicist, but in Clark’s mind, Allen should’ve been killed in the blast, but to wake up weeks or months later without any permanent injury seemed highly unlikely, let alone being up and about a few hours after he came out of it, like nothing happened. Something didn’t smell right about this story.

Clark pulled the story up on the web and read it through in a matter of seconds. He used his hyper vision to look into the background of the CCUH public file as well. There was Allen, sitting up in bed, like he’d just awakened from a long restful nap. I’m sure that there’s more to this story, Clark mused, rubbing his square jaw. Next to Allen in the video feed was a man in a wheelchair, a dark skinned male with a moustache and goatee stood on one side of Allen’s bed, and a dark skinned young woman stood just beyond him. Everyone was understandably happy. Allen looked to be about twenty-five, and clean cut.

In Central City University Hospital, Barry Allen sat in the visitor’s lounge busily chowing down on a tray of hospital food. Young Iris West sat by his side, arms folded across her chest. “Barry, why are you out of bed? What part of complete rest do you not understand?” She challenged him. “I’m fine, Iris, really.” Barry defended as he stuffed his mouth with the remnants of a bland tasting ham sandwich.

“How are you fine, Barry?” Iris insisted. “You just woke up from a coma yesterday.” Barry dismissed her with a wave of his thin hand. “The doctors all agree that I have no permanent damage. They already gave me instructions, like eat more healthy foods to get your strength up, drink plenty of fluids, specifically juices, to keep from dehydrating. It’s all common sense stuff like that.”

“Oh yeah, Iris, I’m supposed to call Lois Lane back.” Barry said as he gulped down his last bit of food. “Who?” The young rookie reporter asked worriedly. “Lois Lane of the Metropolis Daily Planet.” Barry patiently explained. “Iris, as a budding journalist, you ought to know some of the people in your field.”

Iris sighed. “Maybe you can talk to her as well. Sometimes, hard work isn’t enough. Sometimes it’s all in who you know.” Barry lectured. “You know that it’s all about networking and social media today.” Iris nodded. “Yeah Barry, you’re back to your old self again.” She said as she quickly hugged him.

Iris West left for work, and Barry was left on his own to amuse himself. ‘Iris was right about one thing, I can’t leave until the doctor team releases me’, He posed thoughtfully, gazing out the third story window of the hospital. ‘Maybe I can just take a quick walk outside, and grab some of that Central City mildly polluted air’ He mused. Barry had already dressed himself in a red sweatshirt and red sweatpants.

He casually strolled down the corridor to the elevator. Barry winced. His heart beat too fast and he seemed to get disoriented. He hadn’t quite finished his thoughts and he found himself outside, halfway across the hospital grounds. “Crap!” Barry exclaimed aloud. “Did I just black out?” He placed his hands on his hips. Maybe Iris was right, maybe I should take it easy, Barry thought dejectedly.

He sighed and turned back towards the hospital’s guest entrance. Barry took one step and yelped. “Ow!” He had walked smack into the hospital’s cement wall. Wait a minute! He took a second to get reoriented, rubbing his forehead and knee, which had impacted the wall. Barry closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He slowly opened them. He had traveled across the grounds, two parking lots, and the emergency entrance’s half circular drive. “That’s not right!” Barry complained aloud.

“Allen! What’re you doing out here?” Professor Harrison Wells questioned as he glanced up from his wheelchair. “Uh, I just decided to go for a walk.” Barry replied lamely. “Did the doctors okay that?” Wells countered. “Not exactly.” Barry defended, rubbing his cropped light brown hair. “I just wanted to get some air. The hospital is stuffy, you know.” Wells nodded, and reoriented his motorized wheelchair to head up the emergency ramp, and back into the hospital. “Let’s go!” He urged.

Barry glanced at the clock behind the receptionist’s desk. It seemed to him that only two minutes had passed. ‘That can’t be right’ He considered. ‘Maybe I read it wrong’. Barry followed Wells down the hallway and back into the visitor’s lounge. “I’m going to meet with Dr. Clancy today, Barry.” Wells began. “I think he can release you after one more checkup. The hospital is for sick people, you know.” The crippled professor threw in the jab. “I can’t wait for that.” Barry muttered.

“I’m sure that you’re just getting in the doctors’ way here.” Wells quipped. He rolled towards the admissions desk. Barry sat in the lounge area trying to process what had just happened. He still wasn’t sure exactly what went down. He did feel a little shaky and nauseous, but that soon subsided. Barry picked up his new Smart phone and called Lois Lane back.

“Dr. Allen, how do you feel?” Lois began the conversation pleasantly, though she was unusually surprised. It had been her experience that these story leads rarely panned out. Lois quickly picked up her notepad and pen, placing the Purple Tooth headset over her left ear. “I feel like a new man.” Barry responded playfully. “Thanks for calling me back.” Lois pitched. “We’d like to do a story on your near miraculous recovery.” She continued professionally as Clark discreetly listened in.

The interview went well, and Lois quickly put a summary outline together for her story. She hoped that Perry would have it placed on the front page once it had been completed. Clark tapped his pen anxiously on the edge of his desk, as he replayed the conversation in his computer-like mind. Lois’s interview with Dr. Allen seemed to raise more questions than it answered.

Perry White sat in his office, digging through the myriads of E mails that he’d received throughout the day. “Great shades of Elvis! Doesn’t anyone ever pick up a phone anymore?” He grumbled aloud, suddenly realizing that no one else was around. He glanced out his corner office window that overlooked Metropolis’s bustling downtown area.

‘At least the Daily Planet’s newspaper circulation numbers had gone through the roof.’ Perry silently reminded himself. ‘After all, that’s all that the brass really cares about.’ Since Lois and Clark had broken the Superman and Supergirl stories weeks ago, landing exclusive interviews with the helpful aliens, the publicity had been non-stop. However, this sudden fame came with a hefty price.

Boom! The explosion came without warning. The blast had leveled a full square block within Carlyle City’s high end real estate district. Seventeen houses, most of them worth millions of dollars each were obliterated. A bus full of tourists that had come to see how the rich and famous lived, were annihilated. No one would be able to identify the individuals that had lost their lives today easily.

The only remnant information on the tourists that died was the tour tickets that they had bought on line. The forensics teams could start there as they pieced together the macabre jigsaw puzzle. The entire ritzy neighborhood was heavily damaged, the 700 block of May Street was now a crater. Naturally, Superman and Supergirl would help the first responders, and offer flights to local area hospitals, for the severely injured. The press core had already swarmed the outskirts of the Metropolis suburb.

About half of the drive by media blamed Superman and Supergirl, complaining that they should’ve been able to avert the explosion. Though it was depressing, both Clark and Kara knew that they couldn’t save everyone, or prevent every disaster, whether natural or manmade. The lame stream media didn’t really care all that much about the facts. They said whatever would boost their circulation, or ratings.

It usually took weeks to comb through the wreckage of a disaster of this magnitude. Superman and Supergirl could substantially reduce that time. Back in Central City, Barry Allen watched the Carlyle recovery effort with dismay. He had just gotten back to work with the Central City Police Department forensic team. His foster father, Joe West sat by his side in the forensics office.

“Joe, you’re not going to believe this, but something extraordinary happened to me, while I was in a coma.” Barry began. “Yeah, I know Barry, it was a miraculous recovery.” The renowned detective stated. “That’s not exactly it, Joe.” Barry said warily. “Can I get permission to help out in the Carlyle Disaster?” He offered. “I suppose, Barry, but you’d have to ask Chief Mulcahey. There should be enough forensic scientists sent over from Metropolis Police Department. The MPD is almost twice the size of ours.”

“True, but can they do this?” Barry glanced around the police department forensic office. “Do what?” Joe stared at him blankly, but suddenly, Barry was gone. “What the…?”After a few seconds, Barry returned with two steaming coffees in his hands. ”How in the…?” Joe gasped. “Get in my office, now!” Joe ordered as he discreetly got up, entered the small windowed office, and closed the blinds. Barry had followed him in, and closed the door behind him. “Okay, explain this.” Joe ordered Barry angrily. “I don’t really have an explanation now, Joe. I just woke up with these…unusual abilities.”

“How can you do…that?” Joe was mystified. “I’m not sure.” Barry admitted. “I’m still learning to control it, this bizarre hyper speed thing. I feel great, in fact better than great. I was thinking that if the Chief sends me over to Carlyle to help out, I can make use of the speed factor to rescue or recover the unfortunate people that died. It would be a good way to learn how to control the ability.”

“Are you sure that you’re up for this, Barry?” Joe questioned. “I know that I can do it. I mean, who knows, the hyper speed thing might only be a temporary symptom that I have for a little while. Wouldn’t that be the best use of it?” Barry rationalized as he sat on the edge of Joe’s desk. “That sounds reasonable, if you’re okay with it.” Joe conceded.

“Does Iris know?” He inquired. “No, I haven’t told her. Like I said, it may be a temporary side effect.” Barry replied. Joe was uncharacteristically silent for a time. “Okay, go for it, Barry, after you get the chief’s official permission, but be careful. I’ll tell Iris that you were assigned there.” Joe decided. “Thanks, Joe.” To illustrate his point, Barry knocked Joe’s coffee off the desk and caught it in a fraction of a second. His foster father stared at him in amazement.

After getting official permission, Barry lined up outside of the Central City Police Department, just out of the security camera’s field of vision. He closed his eyes, and imagined the city of Metropolis. He’d quickly memorized the GPS suggested route. In a flash, Barry was gone, speeding in the general direction of Carlyle. He skidded to a stop, mere inches from a large red Metropolis Fire Department EMT ambulance. The area was buzzing with activity. The 500 mile trip had taken barely a few seconds.

Barry wore his forensics department vest. Unfortunately, much of his clothing was shredded and smoldering. His shoes were burned through. He quickly grabbed a spare white lab coat from one of the Metropolis forensics vans, and some fireman’s boots that he’d spied on the back of a truck.

Suddenly something large and blue flew in above him. “What the…?” Barry gawked as he spoke. He was distracted by a second, slightly smaller blue flying object. The first responders, the EMT, and the local media members all cheered. “Is that a bird? Is that a drone?” Barry asked a nearby fireman. “Have you been inhaling too much smoke, kid?” The tired fireman asked gruffly. “That’s Superman and Supergirl. She’s hot, ain’t it?” The fireman smirked as he watched the helpful aliens land at the edge of the crater.

Barry had been close enough to hear the conversation. “What have we got, Chief Conway?” Superman’s deep voice silenced the cheers. “We need you and Supergirl to dig through the west end of the rubble. It’s not safe to use any heavy equipment or send in too many responders.” Conway directed. Barry, Clark, and Kara took turns locating victims, both alive and dead without ever seeing one another.

After a few days, the authorities considered the investigation closed, and they determined that all of the bodies had been found, and all of the living had been accounted for. No one would ever know the facts with absolute certainty. Barry had been shocked and inspired by the benevolent aliens.

Clark had actually come to work after the explosion, but faked the flu, so Superman could put as much time as possible into the rescue and recovery operation. Lois had covered the Carlyle Catastrophe as much as she could, but they were both tired, and now it was time for the post mortem wrap up.

Comment

• Metropolis 2017 – Previously on Metropolis, “The Continuing Adventures of Superman”

Shadow Government

Lois Lane began to read the mysterious Agent Johnson’s article on conspiracy theories called ‘The Emerald Wizard.’ She sat comfortably at her reporter’s desk, sipping coffee, and following the links that Johnson had set up. This story seemed to have nothing to do with Clark or Kara, she observed.

The creepy article foretold of a coming crisis that would affect the entire world. Lois grew more and more interested as she read on. “This is really heavy stuff.” She mumbled. Clark would need to take a look at this, she mused. Maybe I could get Chloe’s input on the bizarre story. This is beyond the wall of weird.

Lois gulped as she read further. ‘There are those in power that create those that are in power.’ The next page of the article began. What was Agent Johnson into here? She wondered silently. To the uneducated public this article would seem to align with tin foil hat conspiracy theories, black helicopters, and UFOs.

‘Hence, the wizard behind the curtain knows all, controls all, and moves the pieces of the world’s chessboard around.’ The article continued. ‘The Darkness realizes this, and will take over the man behind the curtain, bending him or them to its will.’

This last statement sent chills down Lois’s spine. It referred to The Darkness the same way Chloe’s vision had, when she’d worn the Helmet of Naboo, as an entity, or group of entities, bent on world domination, and possibly the elimination of life as we know it.

How? Lois wondered. Who could possibly amass so much power that they could literally control or destroy the entire world? It seemed pretty far-fetched, she mused. That’s about as farfetched as an alien or two from another planet living among us, or a lady with the control over the magical realm? Lois shuddered as she considered the implications. Conspiracy theories occasionally became reality.

Ironically, eight miles above Metropolis’s towering skyscrapers flew a large private airplane. The customized Gulf Stream Jet seated thirteen comfortably. Today, only eleven passengers sat across from each other on plush leather couch type seats. A service crew of five busily waited on the passengers with all the speed and efficiency of a high-end dining restaurant.

The passengers, male and female, were represented by all walks of life. A few Arab businessmen sat across from Israeli financial administrators, European investors, Asian diplomats, American movers and shakers, and African political leaders. The diverse passenger list was not found on any flight manifest. The flight was listed as simply a business meeting transport.

None of these ultra-wealthy people would dare even consider flying commercial airlines. Promptly at 4 o’clock Metropolis time, a British investor took his tea. The others continued their pleasant discussions. Finally, the service crew left the passengers alone, and headed towards the kitchenette area. A steel, soundproof divider slid slowly down from the cabin ceiling. When it reached the cabin floor, the discussions went silent.

By 4:15, a meeting had been called. The eleven passengers sat in rapt attention, each glancing at the video screen monitor that had popped up from the middle of the coffee table at the center of the passenger quarters. “Good afternoon.” The monitor clicked on and an older man with graying hair appeared. Behind him, on the monitor, the passengers could see a large green curtain.

“Good afternoon, Professor Tsauran.” The passengers chorused, all speaking in well-educated English. “My friends, the Citadel is in session.” Tsauran continued. “Have we all noted the destabilization of the Middle East in recent weeks?” The professor asked without preamble.

“Yes, Professor.” Some of the non-Arab members replied. “That is mostly my doing, of course.” Tsauran shamelessly boasted. “Give the people an inch of freedom, and they will take a mile.” The professor added. “Forgive me, Professor Tsauran, but why do you toy with my people?” An Arab leader complained. “To what end?” A well-dressed Middle Eastern woman asked.

“It is simply the way of things, my dear, Anathi” Tsauran responded smoothly. “I instigate an overthrow of the government to initiate a crash of its economy. It’s what I do.” He said darkly. “Now that I have successfully brought down some regimes, we can take them over.”

Professor Tsauran spoke with a heavy Mediterranean accent. Anathi assumed that he was from Greece, Turkey, or Albania. “So, we will split up the profits from this venture to continue the game?” The British gentleman asked. “In a manner of speaking, yes.” Tsauran evaded.

“We really tend to put all of the countries’ money, gems, precious metals, and valuable commodities like oil, into a big pot of wealth to draw from.” Tsauran clarified “We will skim a specific percentage of profit from the final ruling government that the allegedly free people decide to install with a little financial push from us of course, from the top down and the bottom up and from the inside out.” Tsauran added. “Remember that. This is how we will always operate. This invariably results in total domination.” The professor said arrogantly. Anathi was taking mental notes on Tsauran’s philosophy.

“Professor, what about the Amazon incursion?” Anathi questioned the business mogul. “They have made substantial progress in upsetting and destabilizing the smaller local governments.” Tsauran acknowledged the Arab woman’s question. “Yes, they have moved quite rapidly through our lesser targets. The difference however, is that the Amazons are simply aggressive ideologues, without a penchant for seeing the big picture.” Tsauran replied calmly.

“They tend to attack and destabilize a government to free its people, without any thought of control or reward.” Tsauran analyzed. “We can certainly use their aggressive style to further our own ends. Think of the Amazons as pawns in the larger game of winner take all chess.”

“Professor, I noticed that you refer to our business ventures as a type of chess match.” An American businessman commented. “You do realize that your analogy is faulty. Checkmate has been virtually destroyed.” Tsauran nodded on the monitor. “True, but Checkmate was but an appendage. We here, maintain the entire body of the world’s wealth.”

That seemed to satisfy the American. “You recall that the G8 and G20 countries report to us.” Tsauran pointed out. “Though, they are blissfully unaware of this.” He chuckled. A few more snickers echoed through the jet’s conference room. One man remained silent, choosing to simply listen to Tsauran’s proclamations. Now, he raised his hand in full view of the monitor.

“Yes, Mr. Mabus?” Tsauran’s eyes narrowed. “Professor, forgive my insolence, but would America be on your game card?” The olive skinned Middle Eastern man inquired. Tsauran folded his hands before him and reclined in his comfy chair, as the green curtain behind him shimmered.

“That is very ambitious, Mr. Mabus.” Tsauran said cautiously. The American businessman scowled at Mabus. “America is the most difficult to destroy.” Tsauran began. “It’s the crown jewel on our agenda, but would not be easy to target, since it’s one of the world’s largest economies.”

Abdul Al Mabus frowned. “Are you saying that you can’t do it?” He asked in a rough Arabic accent. “I didn’t say that, Mr. Mabus.” Tsauran’s face sported an evil smile. “I just said that it would be difficult.” Mabus sighed in frustration. “The Amazon incursions are refreshing, but again, as you stated, they fail to see the bigger picture.” Mabus complained. “We should use this chaos as an opportunity.”

“You weren’t thinking of running your own game on America, were you Mr. Mabus?” An Asian diplomat challenged. “If so, that would be…inadvisable.” The Asian threatened. “I’m just trying to get a clearer picture, Mr. Wong.” Mabus backed off under the watchful eye of Tsauran.

“Clarity of vision is good, Mr. Mabus.” Tsauran remarked. “I assure you as time will allow, America will join the rest of the world in chaos.” This seemed to pacify Mabus for the moment. The business jet flew on towards the American west coast. They had another meeting with some subordinates in San Francisco. The planning never really ended for them. Their game in America was to sow insurrection.

Back at the Daily Planet, Lois was sending an E Mail to Agent Johnson in regards to his Emerald Wizard article. There were still a few points that she didn’t grasp. Clark still hadn’t reported back to her since he’d gone off chasing an armed bandit, who’d just robbed Metropolis Central Bank.

Lois mentioned to Clark, that the police should be able to handle a simple armed robbery, but he had insisted that Superman had to maintain his street credibility. The bank robber would be an easy collar for Clark to offer the MPD. Merely an hour after sending the E Mail, Lois glanced up from her computer, before her, stood the mysterious Agent Johnson.

“Hello Miss Lane.” Johnson greeted her. He seemed to look different from the last time she’d seen him. Johnson’s hair seemed longer and more brownish blonde and his eyes were clear and blue. She couldn’t be sure, so she refrained from commenting on his appearance.

“Agent Johnson.” Lois’s eyes widened. “An E Mail response would’ve been fine.” She began. “How did you get in here…never mind…I don’t need to know.” Lois dismissed him with a wave Johnson pulled out a nearby chair, and took a seat. “You had some questions about the Emerald Wizard article?”

“Yes, actually.” Lois folded her arms in front of her. “I gathered from your article, that the Emerald Wizard is the head of an ultra-wealthy secret organization bent on the disruption and control of the world’s financial markets?” Johnson nodded. “Yes. I’ve confirmed that.” Lois crossed her shapely legs. “Who are these people? I mean who holds the purse strings?”

“Long ago, sometime near the beginning of the nineteenth century, there were people who had innovative, world changing ideas.” Johnson began. “What’s wrong with that?” Lois interrupted. “Patience is a virtue, Miss Lane.” Johnson said curtly.

She scowled and tapped her pen on the desk. “Nothing, if it is for the betterment of all mankind. Yet, a selected few chose to keep amassing their power, usually at the cost of peoples’ financial and actual, physical lives,”

“Okay, I get that.” Lois remarked. “Hasn’t it always been that way? The old golden rule: He who holds the gold makes the rules?” Johnson nodded, glancing around the room nervously. “Cynical, but true, Miss Lane. However, these people, like the Emerald Wizard, have taken that to a whole new level.” He informed her. “They play with world economies like we play board games.”

“Great.” Lois was wondering where this was going. “Can’t they simply be stopped? I mean, Superman, or Super Girl could just smack them down, right?” Johnson shook his head. “If it were only that simple.” Lois was getting frustrated. “What exactly can Joe or Jane Six Pack do about all this, Agent Johnson?” He shrugged. “Not much, I’m afraid.” The secretive agent replied.

“If I even had any facts to go on, names, places, groups, and such, I could write an article to expose them.” Lois offered. “I doubt that the Daily Planet would even print such a story.” Johnson was discouraged. “These evil minions have an army of lawyers at their disposal.”

“So, what can I do?” Lois said with disgust. “You have to be the conduit between Superman, the Super Girl, and the rest of the world.” Johnson answered cryptically. “I notice that you haven’t been writing much about them, lately.”

Lois sighed. “Yeah, ever since the Vigilante Registration Act came into the public eye, though ultimately, it was shot down, the Daily Planet has been giving me fluff stories to push. Perry White, my editor, has been more conservative in the stories we print.”

Agent Johnson nodded. “That’s understandable. That’s why I have a meeting with him this afternoon, in a few minutes, actually.” Lois was impressed. “You have a meeting scheduled with Perry?” Johnson straightened his tie and adjusted his white dress shirt’s collar.

“Yes. I have a limited amount of pull with the paper’s Board of Directors. I’ll get back with you. Thanks, Miss Lane.” With that, Johnson excused himself and Lois rubbed her temples. This guy was starting to give her a headache. By now, Clark had returned from the bank robbery collar.

Earth 1 - Daily Planet Newsroom

Lois and Clark are seated in a conference room alone with Perry White.

“I hate to do this to you two, but we are still a major news organization.” Perry began seriously. Lois thought that the Daily Planet higher ups had decided to have them sacked, but she refused to believe that the Media giant would cut the two staff members who singlehandedly increased the company’s profits with their exclusive connections to Superman and Supergirl.

“What’s up, Mr. White?” Clark asked formally, likely thinking the same thing that Lois was. “I have been given a story for you two to tackle, exclusively.” Perry continued. “I gave it a lot of thought, and believe me I lost a ton of sleep over this decision. We are a news operation, not a detective agency, so I find it hard to justify such a dangerous assignment. If it wasn’t for Superman and Supergirl, and the fact that they trust you two, I would’ve turned down the Board of Execs request.”

“Perry, you’re killing me!” Lois exclaimed. “What are you trying to say?” She grew more and more impatient. “Kiddo, the brass wants you two to expose a dangerous shadow organization that may have the most power in the world next to God Himself.” Perry gulped as he paused for a breath of air.

“You’re going after Majestic Twelve!” Clark nearly shouted, startling both Lois and Perry. They had never heard Clark raise his voice before. Lois had only heard the usually even tempered Clark Kent raise his voice on rare occasions, and only if either Lana Lang or Lex Luthor had gotten under his skin. Lois had heard Clark ***** out Oliver Queen on a single occasion as well.

“Perry, has the Board of Execs lost their collective minds?” Lois argued after getting over the initial shock. “The biggest and baddest government agencies haven’t been able to bring M-12 down! What makes the brass think that Clark and I can do anything other than place our ever lovin’ necks into our collective nooses? The insurance cost alone for such a dangerous venture would likely be enough to drain the entire Daily Planet’s budget for years to come!”

“I know, Sweetie, but someone’s got to do it!” Perry argued, yet felt like he was about to vomit. “The brass thinks that you two should use your superhero connections to fry M-12. Due to the Vigilante Registration Act, the powers that be can’t legally contact the League. There’s a standing legal order of restraint filed against the Feds. Even though the VRA was ultimately shot down, the big wigs want you two to follow up with the vigilantes.” Perry explained.

“What if the League refuses to get involved with this?” Lois asked the obvious question. “It’s not as if we can slam their heads together to get them to cooperate. They might just tell the writers of the VRA to suck it!” She pointed out. Perry rubbed his reddening eyes. “I know that, Lo’” He admitted tiredly.

Clark adjusted his fake glasses atop his nose and released a loud sigh. He knew that if M-12 ever pushed the wrong buttons, the League would likely have to get involved. Superman was sworn to defend Earth against all threats, and that included any threats coming from within. Dr. Fate had told Clark years ago that his destiny was to ensure that Earth survived long into the future, as was Supergirl’s. “How does this justify Lois and I risking our lives?” Clark menaced.

“I don’t know how else to put this, guys, but the Daily Planet’s financial life depends on the next big story.” Perry continued. “I thought that our connections to Superman and Supergirl would be enough to keep this Old Gray Lady going for decades, but once we lost exclusivity, and the amicable aliens went totally public, all of the other big media conglomerations began to eat away at our profits.”

“Everyone from the top network execs to the common bloggers have pictures and articles about them. I heard that the top dogs here at the Planet have authorized a virtually unlimited budget to secure this story about M-12. This would be one of the biggest exposé’s in the history of journalism.” Perry gave them the standard party line. Now Clark was getting upset.

“With all due respect, Perry, what if tangling with M-12 gets Lois and I killed?” Clark argued, as he struggled to keep the anger out of his voice. “Are we just collateral damage for profit?” For the first time that they could ever remember, Perry was silent, and Lois was in shock that Clark had been so direct. “I know, Clark, and this sucks. This stinks to high heaven.” Perry finally admitted.

“Hon, I hate to say this, but if we don’t get after this M-12 story, we might get fired, and they’ll just find two more suckers that would do anything for a buck to confront M-12.” Lois pointed out angrily to Clark. “The bloodletting would never end.” Clark barely contained his rage as he crossed his arms defiantly. “Mr. White, you’d better hope that nothing happens to Lois!” Clark threatened Perry openly.

“Kids! I hate this!” Perry’s voice rose. “I think of you two like my own family. I would resign right now if I thought it would prevent this fiasco from happening. Lois is right. The execs would simply replace us with more journalists, and those poor people would likely be nothing more than sacrificial lambs.”
          “If you ask me, the Board of Execs ought to all be fired!” Lois snapped. “Maybe we should start shopping the paper around to other buyers. Corporate weasels that wouldn’t dare get involved with evil moguls like M-12.” Perry nodded in agreement. “If only it were that easy, Lo’”

“Perry, Clark and I will think about this, develop a plan, and get back to you.” Lois said with determination. “You can quote me to the Board of Fat Asses directly!” She hissed. “Will do, Lo’” Perry gave her a mock salute and a smile. Clark fumed silently, and Lois swore that she saw his eyes turn briefly red. “If and I mean If, we get the League to cooperate, we’ll insist on having direct control of the situation.” He said with a slight menace to his voice. Lois picked up on Clark’s mistake.

“Hon, you mean you think that ‘they’ll’ insist on having direct control.” Lois corrected. “I agree! I expect that Oliver Queen and the others will not be very forthcoming with any plans.” Perry dismissed the meeting and Lois and Clark fled back to their cubicles.

“I’ll contact Chloe, sweetie. We’ll have to try and explain this mess to the League.” Lois volunteered. Clark was angry and barely acknowledged Lois’s offer. He would have to come to grips with the reality that Earth had its own internal problems to deal with. It wasn’t enough for them to defeat the renegade Kandorians led by Zod, or stay the wrath of Darkseid indefinitely.

How could regular humans cause so much trouble among themselves? Clark wondered silently as Lois grabbed her SMART phone that linked directly to Chloe at Watchtower Base. Clark recalled the discussion with the image of Jor El that he’d had many years ago. The array at the Ice Fortress had projected the interactive hologram of Jor El.

It contained all of the accumulated knowledge that Krypton had gathered about Earth, though some of the data had been compromised by Zor El, Kara’s father, BRAINIAC, and Doomsday. The basic data set was intact. Kara had discovered a back door reboot of the original array that Jor El and Lara has installed.

Jor El had said through his avatar ‘that the denizens of Earth were a good people but they lacked guidance, yet held great potential.’ Jor El had also noted that humans would make plenty of mistakes along their way. Obviously, the greed and lust for power of the Majestic Twelve was a startling example of how undisciplined and evil humans could wreak havoc. Lex Luthor was another graphic example.

Lois interrupted Clark’s thoughts. “Hon, I left a message with Chlo’, and she wants to meet up at home.” That was the code for the Kent Farm back in Smallville. “We can have Chloe and Oliver over for dinner, and no, I won’t be cooking!” Lois attempted to lighten Clark’s dismal mood. Clark sighed deeply. “Okay, that’ll be fine.” He said vacantly. “Let me call Kara as well.” Clark offered as Lois nodded.

By now it was technically lunchtime, as Clark quickly made his way up to the Daily Planet’s rooftop, near the heliport. Very few people ever ventured to the building’s roof because of the high rise’s intense wind fields. It wasn’t a very pleasant place to hang out. Clark walked over to the edge of the roof, after ensuring that no one else was around with his x-ray vision. The Daily Planet news copter was out on a traffic patrol flight, so the rooftop was essentially deserted.

“Kara? Can you hear me?” Clark said in a normal tone of voice. Certainly, the Supergirl would hear the call of her cousin.
          Last edited by gardy1; 05-23-2017, 01:17 PM.

Comment

• I started reading this story a while back. I've started from the beginning and look forward to it's continuation.
            Thankyou - Steve

Comment

• Metropolis 2017Another Door Opens

Updating the characters to include some Arrow regulars.

Kara quickly flew towards the Daily Planet, diving out of a cloud bank to conceal her flight. Though most of Metropolis’s denizens had grown used to the benevolent aliens frequently dotting the skies above them, the people could still be distracted by them and cause accidents. Kara landed lightly on the rooftop next to Clark. “What’s up? Supergirl asked excitedly.

Meanwhile, Lois Lane had been digging through the public information about the recent Carlyle City explosion. The Feds had gotten to the inspectors from the Bureau of Explosives and Firearms, and the local fire department of Carlyle City early. The investigators had whitewashed the details of the explosion for the hyperactive media outlets. They all supported the theory of a main line natural gas explosion. The so called experts all agreed on the cause. Lois wouldn’t buy it.

“Nope this is too clean!” She wondered aloud. “It all fits too neatly. Everyone is on the same page from the BEF to the CCFD. This smacks of a cover up.” Lois muttered. “Do you think that there’s more to it?” A female voice said from behind her. Kara Zor El Kent, alias Linda Lee Danvers, stood beside Lois’s cubicle.

Lois was working on her follow up article. “I can’t be sure, kiddo, but my instinct tells me that this is a press release put out by the Feds. This sounds like a cock and bull story. There’s got to be more to it. We all saw how devastating that explosion was. The blast left a block wide crater. Sixty eight people were killed in an affluent area. How does that even happen? That subdivision was brand new.”

Linda sat on Lois’s desk as Clark walked in. “Have you seen this, Clark?” Lois waved a copy of the Carlyle City Beacon daily newspaper in Superman’s face. “I will if you let me read it.” Clark quipped as he took the paper from her. He read through it at super speed. “This is terrible!” He maligned. “We did so much work to rescue those poor people.” Kara said so quietly that only Clark could hear her.

Lois also leafed through the latest photographs from the disaster site that had been released on the internet. “Clark, doesn’t something strike you as odd after you glanced through the wreckage?” She glared at the on line pictures. Superman peered into the aerial photos listed beneath the written story using his hyper vision, as Kara called up Jimmy’s pictures of the blast site. They knew that his photos were never altered. Jimmy had sent the digital photographs straight to Kara’s SMART phone.

“What’s your guess, Lo’?” Clark asked. He knew that he could trust Lois’s assessments of the articles. “The pictures all show the blast radiating out from the exact center of the block.” Lois pointed to the internet images. “Most gas lines connect to houses on a grid. What are the chances that the explosion would take out the entire block? I suppose a main line could have erupted, but then wouldn’t the houses have exploded seconds apart from one another, following the lines into the homes?”

“Oh no! You hit it, Lois! I think you’re exactly right. Jimmy’s pictures verify the explosion’s radius.” Kara jumped in excitedly. “That makes sense.” Clark agreed as he pushed up fake black rimmed glasses. “Where was the tour bus at the time of the explosion?” He asked as Lois’s nimble fingers flew across the keyboard while she searched for that specific time window. Suddenly she paled and stopped.

“The bus was at the exact center of the block.” Lois confirmed angrily. “A bomb!” Clark and Lois chorused. “The drive by media has been feeding us a line.” Lois added cynically. “This was no ordinary accidental gas line explosion! It was a terrorist attack or a preplanned hit! Perry’s got to hear this!” She said as she quickly leapt up from her chair and stalked over to Perry’s office. Kara and Clark continued to super speed through the information, and they came up with the same conclusion, an attack.

Lois knocked briefly before entering Perry’s office. “Hey Chief! We have a headline story here!” She announced as Perry wheeled his chair around to face her. “Lay it on me, Lo’!” Perry exclaimed. Lois related her story and their theories about Carlyle City. Perry listened intensely. “It makes sense as you describe it, Lo’. How can we prove it? Like you assumed, I bet the Feds whitewashed the whole story and conveniently lost any evidence that someone might have to contradict them.”

“We have Linda and Jimmy’s unaltered photographs of the blast site. Any idiot investigator could see what we did, especially if they have a trained investigative eye.” Lois nearly shouted. “This stinks to high heaven, Perry! We’re probably looking at a Watergate style cover up and scandal here. If the Feds went out of their way to spread disinformation like this, I bet the scandal goes very high up!”

“If it were simply terrorists that blew Carlyle City’s block to hell, why cover it up? We all lived through nine eleven, and countless terrorist attacks around the world since then. It’s not as if anybody with a brain would be shocked.” Lois pointed out. “Why bury the lead? Why not warn the public about the attack and let everyone know that the Department of Domestic Security is on top of the terrorists?”

“I know, Lo. This doesn’t smell right.” Perry agreed. “This attack is right in Metropolis’s backyard. If there is a terrorist cell operating locally, why not get the word out to the general public? We always get lectured by the Feds and DDS to remain vigilant, and assist in the investigation if necessary, to say nothing of being more aware of our surroundings.” He added.

“Hmmm, What if this was a hit, not a terror attack?” Lois guessed. “A hit? Do you mean like an old style Mafia hit?” Perry was skeptical. “I don’t know, Lo’ that seems like overkill. Why not just use a sniper to take out whoever their target was? Why annihilate a whole block?” Lois folded her arms across her chest. “True. Don’t forget about the tour bus that just happened to be at the center of the block.”

“Unfortunately, we need a list of the casualties’ names to determine if someone was targeted.” Lois began to think more like an investigator than a reporter. “The Feds closed the case up, Lo’. We’ll have to find alternate sources of information. We can track down the deceased’s relatives to see if they’ll talk. That assumes that the Feds haven’t shut them all down.” Perry pointed out.

“We’re on it, Chief. Clark and I will chase down leads, and we can use some logistical help from the new hire, Linda Lee Danvers. It will be a good learning experience for her. We’ll also need Jimmy to follow up on the victims via photographs and video statements.” Lois made a quick list in her head of all the routes to take. “You got it, Lo’. I’ll commit those resources to you if you’ll run with the ball on this.” Perry confirmed. “You know that I hate sports analogies, Chief, but we’ll have to run this over the finish line.” Lois concluded.

“That’s my girl!” Perry praised. “I’ll notify the bigwigs about a budget increase. We’ll hire some temps to pick up the slack. I’ll give Cat Grant your puff pieces. She’s been kind of robotic lately. I think that she needs a new challenge.” Lois nodded. “I’ll meet with Cat and send her what I’m working on now.”

Meanwhile, Clark and Kara continued to investigate the photos and recalled the bomb blast scene. They had been so busy saving people and prying the remains from the wreckage, that they hadn’t been paying attention to any details about the carnage. They hadn’t even realized that the bus was the center of the explosion. “We need to be more observant.” Clark complained aloud to Linda.

As Lois left Perry’s office, her SMART phone rang. It was her cousin Chloe. “Hey Chlo’ what’s up?” She headed straight back to Clark and Kara. “Got it cuz!” Lois waved to Linda and Clark. “We have the greenlight to pursue our leads on the Carlyle City Catastrophe. We also have a meeting with Chloe and Ollie.” Lois informed them. “Let’s head over to the WB ASAP.” They had devised the code for Watchtower Base some time ago to keep any nosy coworkers out of the conversation.

They hated to be so paranoid, but Lois decided to use abbreviations for everything she and Clark and Kara would discuss inside the office, and out within the general public. She had called the abbreviations government speak, since her father, General Sam Lane always referred to semisecret plans that he’d made as BS or bureaucratic speech. Lois found the acronyms amusing. Her personal favorite was Whiskey Tango Foxtrot or WTF in Army tech speak. Kara had been a little slow to catch on.

After their shift was done, Clark, Lois, and Kara hopped in a cab, mostly to keep up appearances, and instructed the driver to take them to a tavern called The Green Door, which just happened to be across the street from the clock tower Watchtower Base. Oliver had purchased the old Green Door Tavern as an investment, and a very simple cover for their operations. The tavern literally had a pair of green doors as its entrance. Oliver’s younger sister, Thea, had graduated from college and was now running the Green Door as its manager and also doubling as Oliver’s assistant at Queen Industries.

Many of the dysfunctional superheroes had already visited the Green Door Tavern in their common everyday alter ego disguises. It also gave Thea and Oliver a legitimate income. After letting the cab go on its way, Lois entered the tavern alone, as Kara and Clark instantly zipped away and sped across the street and up the clock tower’s eight story staircases. Since the recent Kandorian attack and the assault by Darkseid’s minions, Metropolis had invested in hundreds of cameras, nearly on every busy street corner. Crime rates had plummeted after Superman and Supergirl’s initial appearances.

The cameras that kept watch on the clock tower and Green Door Tavern had been conveniently installed by Queen Industries as a gift to the city. Naturally, the camera hookup was patched directly into Metropolis’s security grid. Chloe had already upgraded the Watchtower encryption to account for all of that. Chloe could turn the cameras on or off at will, by flipping a simple switch. A slim, blonde haired woman in her early twenties, tended the Green Door Tavern’s fully stocked bar. Lois casually strolled up to the woodgrain bar and sat on a comfortable bar stool. The bartender was relatively new to the tavern. She had no idea who Lois was.

“Good evening, what can I get you?” The bartender asked Lois pleasantly. “Ooh, how about a green apple martini, dry?” Lois smiled brightly. “Coming right up.” The bartender quickly busied herself mixing the drink. Thea Queen came into the barroom from a staircase situated just below ground level.

“Evening, Sara. How’s our stock looking?” She asked the bartender, who was shaking the martini mixer in a very professional manner. “Evening, boss. As of this morning we were fully stocked.” Sara responded as she artfully poured Lois’s drink into a green tinted martini glass. “Great. Thanks.” Thea replied.

“Would you like some olives?” Sara inquired as she placed the glass before Lois. “Just a couple, thanks.” Lois answered. Sara finished her order and went about the business of cleaning the pristine bar top. Thea took a seat next to Lois. “Are you here for my bro?” She asked as Lois sipped her martini.

“Sure. By the way, I’m Lois Lane.” She informed the younger Queen. Lois extended a hand and Thea took it. “I remember you now.” Thea began excitedly. “Didn’t you used to date Ollie?” She grilled. Of course this was all a charade for any legit customers’ benefit. Thea already knew about the ragtag band of crime-fighters that Ollie had been busily trying to assemble. Lois was a bit embarrassed. “Yes, that’s true. We did date for a while, but ultimately it didn’t work out, and we’ve both moved on.”

Sara pretended to ignore Lois, but there was no doubt that she was listening to every word. “If I had a thousand dollars for every girl that Ollie dated!” Thea teased. Lois laughed loudly as Clark and Kara walked into the bar in full disguise. For effect, Clark pushed the fake glasses higher on the bridge of his nose. Kara, dressed as overly conservative Linda Lee Danvers, followed him in.

Lois excused herself from Thea and joined Clark and Kara at a cocktail table nearest to the staircase that led downstairs. Chloe had reassured them that the Green Door Tavern was completely safe and free from electronic listening devices. Sara quickly left the bar and went to the table to take the new customers’ orders. “What would you like to drink? Would anyone like some snacks?” She asked eagerly.

“I’ll have a house beer.” Clark replied. “I’ll have the same.” Kara added. “We’ll just have some pretzels.” Lois responded after the others agreed. Sara left them alone. “What’s the plan, hon?” Lois asked. “Ollie has an insider source within the Federal Bureau of Firearms and Explosives that says the Feds hushed everything up referring to the Carlyle City catastrophe. FBFE sealed the evidence that the investigators found. The Feds say that they’re protecting themselves from potential victim lawsuits.” Clark stated.

“Bingo!” Lois exclaimed, swirling her fist in the air. “Dad was right. This smacks of a cover up. I get that the Department of Domestic Security would want to be careful about any press releases, but Ollie’s insider scoop confirms that whatever happened out there was more than just CYA! If DDS wants the event to go away, not use it as a propaganda point showing that they are on top of things, something smells. Are the Green Bean and his merry miscreants going to help us out?”

Sara was just returning with the beers and pretzels. “Can I freshen that up for you?” She asked Lois, who had already downed half of her martini. “Oh? Sure. Thanks, Sara.” Lois replied. “You don’t mind if we call you Sara, do you?” She questioned the cheery server.

“That’s my name!” Sara snickered as she took Lois’s martini glass and headed back to the bar. By now, the legit customers were filing into the Green Door for after work happy hour drinks, so they would have to be careful with their discussion. Also, two more cocktail waitresses and a male bartender were just coming on shift. Clark waited for the area to clear before answering Lois. “Ollie seems to think that the Carlyle City disaster was a planned terrorist attack.” He said dramatically. “Whoa! What orifice did he pull that one out of?” Lois asked cynically, cracking Kara up.

“Chloe agrees.” Clark continued. “As we suspected, the whole exploding bus problem was overkill for a simple hit job. Chloe and a new assistant, Felicity Smoak, are digging up the passenger list for the riders on the tour bus, as well as researching the neighborhood residents.”

“Where is Oliver getting all of this new help from?” Kara asked suspiciously. “Is he that confident in all of their background checks? Does this Felicity have any…powers?” She glanced at Sara who was approaching the table with Lois’s drink. “Is there anything else?” Sara asked dutifully. “No. We’re good. Thanks Sara.” Lois spoke for everyone, and Sara returned to the bar to regroup with her crew.

“I met Felicity briefly, and she seems nice.” Clark added cautiously. “I guess her superpower is cyber warfare.” Lois’s eyebrows rose. “She’s a gifted geek? For Chloe to ask for more help must mean that they’re into something bigger than smacking bad guys’ heads together. I suppose shooting arrows at the derelicts could get boring.” She remarked cynically.

“I just hope that Oliver is not in over his head.” Kara commented. “Here’s the kicker.” Clark teased. “According to Chloe and Felicity, Who do you suppose the primary suspects are behind the Carlyle City destruction event?” Lois scowled. “M12?” She snapped. “Exactly!” Clark confirmed. “Wow!” Lois’s eyes lit up. “The plot thickens.” She added dramatically. Kara scowled, adjusting her fake black glasses.

“Unfortunately, our mission to protect Earth also means protecting humans from themselves.” Clark commented with disdain. “We just barely stopped Lex and Lionel from causing any number of disasters. At least they were generally motivated by greed. We have no idea what motivates M12.”
              Last edited by gardy1; 02-12-2018, 02:17 PM. Reason: paragraph

Comment

• Buen comienzo.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍