Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metropolis, 2010 by Gardy1

Metropolis, The continuing adventures of Superman

By Gardy

This is my take on how a new series might take shape. In this version there is no Doomsday, and Jimmy is still alive, and Kara’s back.

Disclaimer: I own nothing involving DC Comics, Smallville, etc. This story doesn’t intend to parrot any other fan fic writer’s stories.

Episode 1 – Chapter 1: Pulling Up Roots

Cue the new opening theme song music: Somebody Save Me

Opening scene: The camera flies speedily above the Kansas cornfields. The amber waves of grain bend slightly as the winds’ wake whips past them. The shot pans across to the Kent Farm as it slows, taking in the familiar red barn with silo, and the bright yellow Kent farmhouse.

Several cattle chew cud peacefully along the gravelly access road leading to the ranch house. Some are startled, shuffling away, and mooing, as the camera pans down low, nearing the wraparound front porch.

The front screen door pushes open, revealing a familiar head of disheveled, yet fluffy lengthy blonde hair. The kitchen is neat and tidy, though a few boxes filled with glassware, utensils, and a variety of dishes are seen, stacked upon a countertop.

“Aunt Martha? Clark?” Kara Zor El Kent calls out into the mostly silent house. The reddish brown retriever, Shelby / Krypto, barks happily and pads up to the returning guest. “Hey!” Kara pats the dog’s head gently.

Kara’s supersensitive hearing picks up the wisps of a conversation. Upstairs, Lois and Clark are engaged in some playful banter. The alien beauty brushes a thick wad of hair away from her ear, to pick up a clearer tone.

“Are you sure that you don’t want to room with me, Smallville?” Lois offers, flipping her brownish black hair over one shoulder, as she bends over picking up another box. Clark shakes his head, sporting a shorter, neater haircut than usual. “No thanks, Lois.”

She looks away, crestfallen. “Why not? What’s the matter?” She straightens up, placing a box upon a nearby mahogany dresser. “Remember, I promised you Guitar Hero weekends, DVD sharing, and I’ll even let you borrow my Whitesnake CD.”

“I mean what’s the worst that can happen? I’ll see you in your Sponge Bob boxer briefs?” Lois pleaded. Clark chuckles. “No Lois, I usually sleep sans shorts.” He purposely teased her. “Too much information?” He added, jokingly.

Lois smiles brightly. “I won’t mind, if you can avoid strangling yourself on my unmentionables, which at any given time could be hanging in the bathroom, strewn all over the couch, or balled up into a dust bunny filled corner of the bedroom.” She quipped.

“It’s not that.’ Clark grins. “I just like to have my own space, that’s all.” It would also make my new stint as the Red Blue Blur that much more difficult to pull off, he thought sourly. Lois was uncharacteristically silent, never a good sign. Clark guessed that she was feeling lonely and left out, with Chloe and Jimmy hooked up, Lois had been performing lately, as a third wheel.

Now that Chloe had taken on Oliver’s Watchtower position, the stress on her and Jimmy’s relationship was palpable. Chloe also spent less time with Clark and Lois, which likely added to the future star-crossed lovers being put together, if the fates would allow.

“You are moving nearby in Metropolis, aren’t you?” Lois sounded like she was still pleading, as she slammed a pair of Clark’s socks into the mover’s box in frustration. “Do you mean ‘am I moving near you’?” Clark challenged playfully. “Possibly, if I can afford the place that I’m looking at, around the corner from your condo. After all, I’m not the Daily Planet’s star reporter.”

Lois ignored Clark’s good-natured taunting, and hadn’t yet given up on her proposal. “You’re missing a great opportunity, Smallville.” Lois bargained. “We could cut all of our expenses in half by pulling a domestic cohabitation.” She pitched.

Clark couldn’t believe that this was the same fearless, independent, self-serving, highly motivated, egotistically driven Lois Lane that he’d come to know over the last few years. What was going on with her? He silently mused.

“Lois, I thought that you hated living here with me.” Clark reminded her. “You know, away from all the action, in the sticks, getting up with the rooster.” Lois shrugged. “Hate is too strong a word. I told you before, I just wanted to live in a place without farm animals in it.” She whined, which was very unusual in Clark’s opinion.

“Kara’s back!” Clark announced, skillfully changing the subject. “What? How could you know that?” Lois folded her tan arms across her ample chest. “Didn’t you hear Shelby barking?” Clark diverted. “How does that translate into Kara…?” Lois began as Clark interrupted her. “Instinct.” He snickered. “And the fact that she just yelled my name.”

Kara bounded up the stairs, speedily entering Clark’s bedroom. Her big blue eyes widened as she saw Clark neatly folding his ubiquitous red flannel shirt into an old brown suitcase, initialed JK, Jonathan Kent. “Look what the wind blew in.” Lois smirked. “Hey Kara.”

The alien beauty glanced around the room in shock. Had Lois spied her flying in over the farmland? Had Clark told her the truth about them? She decided to play it by one attractive ear. “Uh…Hi Lois, what’s new?” Kara deadpanned. “Kal…I mean…” Kara coughed to cover up her faux pas, as Clark shot her a dirty look. “Clark, are we moving?”

“Kal?” Lois echoed. Kara coughed roughly to cover up the mistake further. “I must’ve swallowed a bug.” She reddened slightly. “Yummy.” Lois chuckled. “You’d better help yourself to a bottle of cold water, before Clark takes it. He’s bringing anything that isn’t nailed down.” She joked.

“Your cousin has finally opted to join me in the big city.” Lois added sarcastically, desperately trying to alleviate her increasing depression. “How could he leave this all behind?”

“Well, the commute will be shorter.” Clark put in. “Did you tell Aunt Martha?” Kara asked the obvious question, as her voice grew a notch higher. “Sure. She was all for it.” He responded. “What about the farm itself? Who’ll feed the animals?” The super powered teen wondered aloud. “You can have it.” Clark couldn’t resist teasing his younger cousin.

“What am I gonna do with a farm?” Kara frowned. “Actually, our neighbor, Elmer Schmidt is already working the back forty acres. He and his son, Judd, might be interested in the front eighty acres as well.” Clark informed them. “Elmer and Judd? I couldn’t make those names up.” Lois grumbled as she tossed one of Clark’s blue jeans in the suitcase.

“We’re keeping the house and land of course, and leasing the proceeds to the Schmidts.” Clark continued unabated. “Mom could never part with the property fully. She considers it her retirement home, once she’s done with her run in the Senate.”

Lois shifted uncomfortably. This is not good at all she silently criticized. On the one hand, she was glad that Clark was finally moving off the farm, presumably to get a life. On the other, she really wanted him to move in with her. She admitted to herself that she couldn’t picture her life without Clark in it.

A vision of a TV set, couch, pillows, and her sucking down a gallon of ice cream entered into her mind’s eye. That was followed by a vision of her in a white wedding dress, standing beside Clark in a sharp black tux, and finally an old gray haired hag staring aimlessly out a window entered her thought stream. She shook it all off quickly.

“Lois?” Clark’s voice derailed her train of thought. “Huh?” She glanced up warily from the suitcase. “Kara asked you how things were going at the Planet.” Clark said patiently. “Oh sorry! Did you just feel the air pressure drop in here? I have to quit watching late night movies.”

“Things at the Planet are about as you’d expect.” She turned her attention towards the pretty young Kryptonian. As soon as Lois looked away, Clark brazenly used his super speed to collect and fold a number of his favorite items of clothing, including the infamous red jacket.

Lois absently grabbed a stack of Clark’s white T-shirts. “The hours are long, and the stories are coming slowly…” She began distractedly. “Except for one…” Kara smirked. “The Red Blue Blur!” The precocious teen quipped, as Clark gave her the cutthroat sign. Kara couldn’t resist pressing Lois’s buttons. “That’s the one!” Lois said as her mood brightened.

Clark rolled his eyes. “Did you meet him?” Kara toyed with Lois. “Don’t encourage her!” Clark chastised his younger cousin. “What’s the matter, Smallville? Are you having issues with the Red Blue Blur? Maybe you’re just a wee bit jealous?” Lois rode him.

Jealous? Of myself? I hardly think so. Clark thought. “How do you know it’s a he?” Clark said, eyeing Kara playfully. Lois snickered. “I told you that I talked to him.” Kara’s eyes sparkled, clearly enjoying the exchange. “No way!” Lois nodded, grinning thinly. “Yes! I did. He promised to give me his first exclusive interview, once he decides to ‘come out’ so to speak.”

“You believed him?” Clark groaned. “A guy with an altered voice on the phone?” Lois stopped dead in her tracks. “I don’t think that I said he altered his voice.” Clark gulped. I have to be more careful. He berated himself. “I just assumed that he would, otherwise you’d might recognize it, somewhere.” Clark defended weakly as Kara shook her head. “Whatever, Clark!” Lois sniped.

“Anyway, Kara, we’re ordering a pizza later after we finish ransacking the house.” Lois added with her usual morbid sense of humor. “You’re welcome to join us.” Kara hesitated. “Um, I have to be somewhere, but yeah, maybe later.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll make sure that Clark doesn’t take your Barbie Doll collection.” Lois gibed as Kara cast her a sidelong glance. “Okay, then scoot!” She ordered the super teen. Kara left them to the packing and cleaning, more confused than ever. She hadn’t gotten a chance to tell Clark about her latest adventures, and what she’d found on her travels.

Why would Kal suddenly want to move to Metropolis, after working so hard to avoid raising his profile? Kara pondered as she made her way quickly downstairs. Of course! She snapped her fingers, causing a minor shockwave throughout the house that started Shelby / Krypto barking again. The Red Blue Blur! Kara thought about her cousin proudly. It’s about time!
    Last edited by gardy1; 05-23-2017, 01:10 PM. Reason: update date title

Yes it is about time ..

Comment

ABOUT TIME!! i love the start and i can't wait to see how it goes!!

Keep up the amazing work!

Comment

I'm deff putting this on my to look out for list! Like the first chapter! Looking forward to see where it goes! PPMS!

Comment

Awesome start! I like it so far. More please!

Comment

I'm liking this! Keep it going!

Comment

Originally posted by ewalani
              I'm deff putting this on my to look out for list! Like the first chapter! Looking forward to see where it goes! PPMS!
              Originally posted by Miray
              Awesome start! I like it so far. More please!
              Originally posted by FlashInSV
              I'm liking this! Keep it going!
              Me too. I don't want to miss future updates.

Comment

Kara is back yeah I love that girl
                great start
                ppms

Comment

Metropolis, 2010

Thanks for reading Ladies, here's the next chapter. Enjoy! More on the way. gardy1

Chapter 2: Picking up The Trail

Two months earlier, Kara had been following up on a lead from a fringe website stating that someone had found an unusual silver crystal with foreign markings on it. The collector wondered if the item held any value, no doubt hoping to sell it on E Bay.

Kara recognized the writing on the roughly octagonal object as Kryptonian. It more or less translated to ‘A Study In Environment Journal’ by Dax Ur. The rogue Kryptonian had been on Earth a long time before either Kal or Kara arrived.

From what she could discern from her hateful father, Zor EL’s notes, Kara concluded that Dax Ur was an interplanetary scout for the Kryptonian Council of Elders. He would’ve been charged with finding a suitable planet for any Kryptonian refugees that may have survived the planet’s destruction.

Kara knew that she had to meet the keeper of this crystal, and make him or her an offer to purchase it. She only hoped that it wouldn’t be too expensive. The owner’s Internet name was Christian Ahmetti, and he was located somewhere in the Middle East.

Kara sent a response E mail from Chloe’s Watchtower headquarters, formerly known as the Isis Foundation. She hadn’t told Kal what she was up to, fearing that he’d try and talk her out of it, after what had happened to her original blue crystal.

According to his website, Ahmetti was on an exploratory oil dig in Morocco, when he located the strange item. Kara quickly arranged a meeting with him. The Girl of Steel wouldn’t ever fear such a meeting, assuming that nothing on Earth aside from Kryptonite, could harm her.

Late that week, Kara literally flew into Agadir under the cover of night, and super sped to the designated coffee shop where she was to meet Ahmetti. Kara casually strolled across the plaza, decorated with hand-painted marble and ceramic tiles. All eyes were upon her.

Kara, of course stood out like a sore thumb, her long curled blonde hair blowing in the wind. Gasps, and curses followed Kara, dressed in her usual midriff bearing cropped white t-shirt, blue denim hot pants, and bright red gym shoes. Most women were covered from head to toe in the local garb. A few police officers followed her into the coffee shop.

Kara strolled over to the counter, sat down, and ordered a double espresso coffee. The server looked at her with disgust, and begrudgingly created her drink. The police officers surrounded her. Some of the locals scattered, fearing a confrontation. Kara sipped her coffee, and waited for them to speak.

“You are American, no?” The first officer asked. “Yes. Why?” Kara refused to make eye contact with either of them. “Americans are not well liked here.” The second officer added. “Not my problem.” Kara said gruffly, steadily sipping her coffee. “I’m not looking for any trouble.”

“Yet, trouble you have found…” The third officer threatened. “We have rules about women…” The second official began. Kara ignored them, and took another swig. “Are you deaf?” The first officer challenged, putting one hand on her shoulder. Kara slowly put down her drink.

She faced the officer that touched her. “I’d move my hand if I were you.” Kara menaced. “You have a poor attitude.” The second official commented, as he removed his Billy club, and slapped his other hand with it. “Perhaps it should be changed.” The other growled, taking out his club.

“Trust me, you don’t want to do this.” Kara hissed as her eyes flared red. She’d rather not have called any attention to herself, fearing that it would scare Ahmetti away. They still had about a half an hour before they were due to meet, if her watch was correct. Plenty of time…Kara smirked, putting down her coffee.

She swirled on the wooden counter seat facing the roguish police. Kara grabbed two men by their throats and physically tossed them through the nearest wall, and out into the marketplace plaza, startling a number of patrons, who cursed and ran away from the tumbling officers.

The server behind the counter dropped what he was doing and scurried into the backroom. A few of the coffee shop customers froze in place, unsure of what to do next. The last officer lunged at Kara, and she deftly tossed him out a window. She brushed her hands off on her denim shorts, and reseated herself to finish the coffee.

Two more customers scattered into the street shortly thereafter. Kara sighed. Its never easy, she mentally fumed. The policemen were still knocked out in the plaza as Ahmetti warily entered the coffee shop. “Miss Kent?” Ahmetti asked as he approached her curiously.

Kara stood, coffee in hand, and replied. “Yes? Mr. Ahmetti?” He nodded, and waved her over to one of the recently vacated tables. “Join me?” The older man offered. Ahmetti was about thirty-five, tall and stocky, with curled black hair, black colored eyes, and he sported a bushy black moustache. In his hand was a cardboard box, which presumably contained the alien journal.

Kara took a seat opposite him, as his eyes followed her all the way down. “What happened here?” He gestured towards the ruined wooden and stucco wall. Kara shrugged. “Some rowdy customers got thrown out of the shop.” She smirked as she downplayed the incident. “Is that the item?” Ahmetti nodded. “Yes.”

“Is it still for sale?” Kara inquired without any further explanation. “Certainly.” Ahmetti flashed a toothy grin. “Do you know what it is, or what the value might be?” He toyed with her. “I’m not sure without examining it closely.” Kara evaded as Chloe had taught her.

Ahmetti opened the box, and the silver gray crystal with the Kryptonian inscriptions on it glowed slightly. “It has never done that before.” Ahmetti gawked. “Its probably just the light reflecting off the frame.” Kara lied convincingly as she’d heard Clark do frequently.

“It has some value, then?” Ahmetti fished. “What do you think is a fair price?” Kara got down to business swiftly as she feared more interference from the local authorities. “I’m not sure. I’ve never seen anything like it.” Ahmetti dodged. “I have one at home.” Kara lied, “Though the coloring is different. I paid a good forty dollars for it.”

“Really?” Ahmetti was still skeptical. Why would an American girl come all the way to Morocco for a forty-dollar souvenir? He silently mused. “What is it?” Ahmetti probed. “It’s…a bookend, very unusual. It’s probably quite a few years old.” Kara continued to lie.

“A bookend?” Ahmetti tried not to scoff. “Sure. My family had a few of them.” Kara added another layer to her story. “We even have a matching paperweight on my desk at home.” Ahmetti was still silently pondering Kara’s fabrication. The teen alien beauty was starting to lose her patience. She considered simply taking the crystal from Ahmetti and leaving.

Meanwhile, the shopkeeper returned and cursed loudly at the sight of his damaged wall. “This one! She is a demon!” The manager hollered at Kara. “What’s that about?” Ahmetti was pokerfaced. “Apparently, I don’t make a very good first impression?” Kara blunted.

“Mr. Ahmetti, what do you think is a fair price for the bookend?” Kara forced a deadly calm to her voice. “Give me a figure.” Ahmetti challenged. “Fifty Dollars – American.” Kara put out there. Ahmetti was silent, again weighing his options. “One hundred- American.” He countered. Kara knew that she was expected to bargain. “Seventy-five- American.” She offered.

“Seventy Eight-American.” Ahmetti upped her bid. “Very well. Seventy Eight – American.” Kara reached into her denim shorts pocket and pulled out four twenties, placing them on the table. “Sold!” Ahmetti gave in, and handed her the box with the crystal in it. “Thank you.” Kara speedily grabbed the box, shook Ahmetti’s hand, and stood up.

Outside, the police had finally arrived with reinforcements. They piled into the coffee shop through the front door, window, and the damaged wall. Ahmetti calmly sat back in his chair, expecting to either be hauled in for questioning, or watch Kara getting arrested. He already had her money.

He was surprised as Kara bolted towards the first few officers, elbowing, kicking, and shoving them out of her way. The teen alien tore through the last few officers like a football running back devastating an opposing team’s defense.

The shopkeeper cursed loudly as the officials flew into tables, chairs, and souvenir display racks. Ahmetti took advantage of the confusion to slip past the guards posted near a side exit door. Kara vaulted atop a nearby two-story building, holding the prize under her arm like a football.

She scurried towards the rear of the rooftop, and glanced around quickly, taking for the skies. The melee below soon silenced as Kara flew into the desert’s moonlit night sky. The silvery shadows played across the dunes, as she avoided most populated areas, flying beneath any possible radar facilities. Kara felt pleased with the outcome, as she soared across the ocean towards home.

Ahmetti doubled his pace as he left the confused authorities to sort out what had happened. He wandered away from the area closing in on the resort hotel district. He settled for a seat in an outdoor café. Tourists hustled past, as Ahmetti flipped on his cell phone.

“Miss Mercer?” The informant began. “I have sold the item to a young girl named Kent.” Tess frowned as she wiped the workout sweat from her brow. “Kent? Are you sure?” She questioned. “Can you describe her?” Tess double-checked his story. Ahmetti went into detail.

“Kara, you say?” Tess challenged. “Thank you, Mr. Ahmetti. The payment will be in your account in the usual quantities.” Tess hung up. Another one? Or perhaps someone working with Clark? She mused. This raises all kinds of new possibilities, she thought, smirking wryly.

more...

next:

Comment

Originally posted by gardy1
                    Thanks for reading Ladies, here's the next chapter. Enjoy! More on the way. gardy1
                    Hey, I just noticed, you have only comments from female readers..that's weird.

Comment

Metropolis, 2010

Female fans? There's nothing wrong with that. I want everyone to enjoy my stories, as we all do. thanks, gardy1

Chapter 3: Fates

Scene: Daily Planet newsroom.

A few workers shuffle past as Lois lazily flips the Internet pages on her last story. Clark, dressed in his common dark blue long sleeved shirt, black tie, and black pleated Dockers, glances over Lois’s slim shoulder. “Morning, Smallville.” She says nonchalantly.

“Did you unpack all your stuff yesterday?” She absently asks, flipping to the final page of her story. “Committed.” Clark blurts out. “Huh?” Lois turns her head towards him lethargically, allowing her sandy brown hair to lilt to one side, the ends just missing her steaming coffee mug.

“Committed is spelled with two M ‘s and two T’s not one M and one T.” Clark smiles brightly at her. Lois rubs one bleary eye. “Thanks…” Jimmy Olsen pops up behind them, camera with zoom lens attached slung loosely around his thin neck.

“See Lois!” Jimmy chuckles, thoroughly amused at himself. “I told you that CK could spell commitment.” He quips. “Olsen! The word is committed.” Lois corrected, unable to keep the irritation from her voice as Clark reddens. “Who’s committed?” Jimmy asks playfully.

“You will be if you don’t get back to work, Olsen!” Tess Mercer snarls. “Oh boy, here comes Miss Sunshine.” Lois snipes quietly as Tess approaches them. Jimmy takes his cue, and skitters away, leaving Clark and Lois on their own to face the music.

“Lane!” Tess bellows. “Did you want your article on the Metropolis Bay dock fires to make today’s issue of the Planet, or would you rather we hold off printing the paper until you’re ready?” Tess’s voice dripped with sarcasm. “I’m on it.” Lois swallowed her pride, and the taste was nauseating. “Kent? Did you want to do any work today?” Tess challenged.

“I was just on my way to…” Clark frantically glanced around the newsroom. “Fill the coffee machine, and check the copier paper stock.” He edged away. “Forget it!” Tess ordered, stopping Clark in his tracks. “I’ll have Olsen do it. That might just keep him out of trouble for a few minutes. Come with me.” Tess turned on her heel as Clark shrugged at Lois.

Clark trailed Tess into her office, feeling like a school kid who was heading for detention. She opened the office door and slid smoothly behind her desk, as the window’s morning light silhouetted her wasp like frame. “Sit down and close the door.”

Tess’s tone was that of a menacing calm. Clark did as instructed. “Clark, why aren’t you out saving the world?” Tess toyed with him. She was ninety-eight percent sure that he was the Traveler from the Veritas Chronicles. “Excuse me?” He gave her his best innocent look.

“You’re hanging around the Daily Planet, yet you’re not aggressively pursuing any stories.” Tess criticized. “What are you waiting for?” Clark shrugged. “I’m just doing my job.” Tess glanced down, and folded her hands on the desktop. “No, your job is to save the world.”

“I’m only one person, Tess.” Clark began modestly. “The world was here long before I got here, and it will be here long after I’m gone.” Tess sighed with frustration. “Clark, I just don’t understand you.” He shifted uneasily before responding. “What’s to understand?”

“You should be out there saving people.” Tess continued to bait him. Clark would have none of it. “Saving people from what?” He deadpanned. “You name it!” Tess’s voice rose slightly. “Metropolis is full of crime and depravity. Mobsters, crooked politicians, creeps, perverts, arsonists, drug lords, muggers, thieves, and the occasional cat up a tree.”

Half of which probably report to you and Lex, Clark mused darkly. “Isn’t that what we have a police department and fire department for?” He knew just what to say to push Tess’s buttons. “Half the police force is corrupt and in bed with the crime bosses.” She insisted.

True, and how many work for you? Clark again thought silently. “I told you before, if you don’t like me working here then just fire me.” Tess smiled evilly. “No, that’s not in my plan. I want you right here in front of me where I can see you. You will embrace your destiny.”

“People make their own destiny, Miss Mercer.” Clark retorted coldly. “Except for you, Clark. Your destiny goes hand in hand with mine.” Tess responded arrogantly. “How do you figure?” He countered. “Because as of today, you are assigned to reporting on the City Beat with Lane over there. The copy machines don’t need saving, Clark, we of Metropolis do.”

Clark was stunned. Tess had played him again, and he was getting tired of it. “By the way, you only have to refer to me as Miss Mercer in front of the other employees.” She flirted, further irritating Clark. “Tess will do in private. I’ll send out the E Mail announcement to the staff.”

“Aren’t there more qualified journalists out there that deserve that kind of promotion?” Clark defended weakly. “That’s not really the point, is it? You will embrace your destiny by meeting it head on in the streets of Metropolis.” Tess added haughtily. Clark sighed in resignation.

He wanted to do exactly what Tess talked about, but on his terms, not hers. Fate had once again kicked him up the road. Tess was nearly as irritating as Jor El when it came to shoving him towards his destiny, whatever that might be.

Thankfully, Tess’s cell phone rang. Clark instinctively got up to leave. Tess gestured for him to remain seated. He sat back down uncomfortably. “Yes?” Tess’s expression varied between fascination and shock. “Are you sure, Oliver?” She seemed off her game to Clark, which gave him at least a bit of satisfaction. He knew that Oliver could really get under Tess’s skin.

“That’s the final word is it?” Tess’s face showed puzzlement. Clark was tempted to listen in, but resisted the urge. He assumed that either Tess or Oliver would inform him about whatever if need be. He suffered in silence as Tess stretched leisurely, and let her long legs drape over the desktop. Clark tried not to notice, but in the end lost the battle. The woman had a massive ego.

After a few more uncomfortable moments, Tess hung up the phone. “That’s an interesting move.” She said abstractedly, attempting to draw Clark’s gaze into her eyes. “Oliver has decided…” Tess began before Clark cut her off. “It’s really none of my business.” He interrupted.

“Don’t worry Clark, I feel that I can tell you anything.” Tess flirted heavily, playing one type of game or another. Spare me. Clark mentally groused. “Oliver has decided to promote me to executive vice president of Queen Industries’ International Operations.” She informed him, awaiting a reaction. To his credit, Clark was stone-faced. “Congratulations.” He said simply.

“I thought that LuthorCorp and Queen Industries were an equal partnership.” Clark pressed Tess’s buttons further. “We are, but Oliver and the Board of Directors have cut a restructuring deal. I could’ve voted against it, of course, but the majority would still rule.” She explained.

“Oliver said that I would have to give up my post as President and CEO of the Daily Planet.” Tess still seemed taken aback. Clark wanted to leap for joy, but tempered his enthusiasm out of respect, still playing his cards close to the vest. “So then it’s a good move for you?” He asked.

“Yes. I’ll have to travel more, and get out of this dingy office.” Tess symbolically glanced around the room. “This changes nothing, Clark.” She refocused her gaze on him. “I still feel that our fates are intertwined.” Not likely, Clark thought sourly. Then his mood lightened. Oliver had pulled a great move this time. He just made Clark’s life that much easier.

“I’m sure that I’ll see you around.” Clark stated diplomatically. “Does this mean that my promotion has been revoked?” Tess grinned thinly. “Hardly, Clark. Until midnight on Friday, I’m still running the paper. You’re getting your own cubicle right across from Lane. I wouldn’t have it any other way. You two tend to drive each other insane. A woman has to have her fun.”

Tess’s disarming manner made Clark wonder if she was truly as mean as she thinks she is. He hoped in his heart that Tess would finally give up on following Lex’s obsession with him and move on with her life. Oliver was trying his best to get Tess out of Clark’s face. I owe him big time, he thought wryly.

“Now scoot!” Tess smiled brightly, a rarity indeed. “I still have a paper to run for the next few days.” Clark managed a cautious smile and got up from the chair. Tess watched him leave intently. “Oh, and Clark, congratulations on landing that new apartment in Metropolis.” Tess threw in the dig to let him know that she was still keeping tabs on him.

“Uh, thanks. Good luck on your new position.” Clark half-turned to face her as he opened the office door. Naturally the newsroom staff, including Lois, all checked him out, expecting to get some impression of what their long conversation had been about.

Clark flushed as he walked through the room, skirting cubicles and supply carts. All eyes were still on him as he seated himself across from Lois. Tess stood leaning within the frame of her office door, arms crossed, as her eyes followed Clark as well.

Jimmy scurried up to him despite Tess’s intense gaze. “Get back to work!” She suddenly hollered at the newsroom employees. Just that quickly, tapping began on keyboards, phones were picked up, and the supply person resumed his cart’s route along the center isle.

“I thought she was going to can you, CK!” Jimmy said with relief. “Thanks for your vote of confidence, Jimmy.” Clark responded sarcastically.

“Spill it Smallville, what did the Dragon Lady want this time?” Lois questioned. “Is your article done?” Clark said with concern. “Yes. Don’t change the subject.” She retorted. “Can I see it?” Clark ignored her protests. “Sure. Here.” Lois said as she handed him the printouts.

Clark proofread it as Jimmy stood by patiently. “Okay it’s good to go.” He said, returning the copies to her. “Thanks professor.” Lois snapped as she pressed the ‘send’ button. Tess had retreated back within her office, as Jimmy continued to hover over Lois and Clark.

“Tess is accepting a new position.” Clark answered warily. “I’ll bet she accepts all kinds of positions.” Lois sniped. “Ooh! Snap!” Jimmy laughed. “Not that there’s anything wrong with that.” Lois flirted tiredly. “So she’s leaving?” Clark nodded. “Yep! Oliver kicked her upstairs.”

“I’d like to kick her…” Lois snarled. “She’s going to be Queen Industries’ executive VP of international operations.” Clark informed them. “It’s not common knowledge yet, so we have to keep it quiet…Jimmy.” Lois and Clark chorused. “What?” Jimmy asked innocently.

“I also got promoted to City Beat reporter.” Clark reddened as he spoke. “Get out of town! That’s great, CK!” Jimmy remarked enthusiastically. “So, you’re equal to me?” Lois asked in disbelief, before she realized how that sounded. “Yes Lois.” Clark feigned offense. “I would be equal to you. I suppose that you’ll still have seniority though.”

“Are you trying to say that I’m old?” Lois purposely gave Clark some grief. “CK, there is no good answer to that question.” Jimmy chuckled. “Jimmy, you are a wise young man.” Clark quipped as Lois smiled.

“We should go out and celebrate.” Lois suggested. “You’re welcome to join us too, Jimmy.” Clark balked. “I don’t know, Lois…I still haven’t fully unpacked…” Lois dismissed his protests with a wave. “What’s to unpack? Your flannel shirt collection should’ve stayed in Smallville.” Lois rode him. “As long as you’re dressed decently already…”

“Fine.” Clark put up his hands in resignation. “After work we’ll go out for a while.” Lois’s heart raced. She finally got the reticent Clark to join her after hours. “Jimmy? Are you free?” She asked mostly out of courtesy. Actually Jimmy might help the night’s conversation along, she mused.

“I guess so. I hate to be a third wheel.” He hedged. “Don’t worry about it, Jimbo.” Lois said. “Been there, done that. I mean its not as if Clark and I are on a date.” Unfortunately, her mind commented. “Okay, see you after work.” Jimmy agreed. Clark felt that he missed something.

“Jimmy, why don’t you ask Chloe to join us as well?” Clark suggested. Jimmy’s face fell a bit. “We’ll see. She’s been so busy at the Foundation…” Lois picked up on his lament. “I’ll call her right now.” Lois offered, grabbing the cell phone.

Clark was wary, but promised to enjoy the moment. Things had just started to pick up, finally, after the hell of the last few years. He decided to take some time for himself, and relax. An odd sense of calm seemed to take over his tortured mind when he was around Lois.

He just didn’t want to get his hopes up too high.

more...

Comment

Good stuff. I love the dialogue between Lois, Clark and Jimmy.

PPMS!!!

Comment

Ooh! Snap!” Jimmy laughed.
                          I could see aaron saying this lol

Comment

Home of the Blur

Chapter 4: Home of the Blur

After a pleasant, reserved celebration for his promotion, Lois escorted Clark home. She’d only had a couple of imported beers, and Jimmy downed one or two before heading to the Talon to meet Chloe. Lois was dying to see what type of condo Clark had picked for his Metropolis domicile.

They walked up the stone and brick front stairs under the watchful eyes of nosy neighbors. Clark popped in the computer code to access the entry door, and then the level door for his condo. Naturally, he’d picked the highest one, just below the roof line. Clark’s cousin Kara, good friend Laura Lake, or even Oliver could enter the building from the rooftop.

The idea was to limit any visibility from the streets, the buildings across the alley, or the center courtyard by any passers by. Clark and Kara had already stocked the condo with his belongings, and a few little used furniture pieces from the farm ranch house or the barn loft hideaway.

“Geez, Smallville, you had to pick the top condo apartment, didn’t you?” Lois complained, as she ascended the many staircases. “You know, Lois, we have an elevator if you can’t handle the climb.” He ribbed her. “It’s not that, Clark. It’s just that these four inch heels don’t lend themselves to comfortable climbing.” She whined playfully. “Not that you would’ve considered that before you bought it.”

“I guess not, Lois.” He smiled brightly over his shoulder at her. “I don’t usually wear any high heels.” Clark taunted. She returned a knowing smirk. “That’s good to know.” Lois grabbed his hand, allowing him to guide her up the last few stairs to the top landing. She removed the offending shoes, and padded along the well worn carpet to Clark’s condo’s door, barefoot. “My dogs are barking.”

He used a keycard to swipe the door’s security lock. It snapped open, and he entered with Lois at his heel. She took a good long look around. To say the least, the condo needed work. “Yikes! What a dive!” Lois criticized as Clark frowned briefly. “Yeah, well it has potential.” He defended. “I told you that it was a foreclosed fixer upper.”

Lois nodded as she carefully circumvented the broken plaster pieces scattered along the entrance’s foyer. “I see you have your work cut out for you.” She added. “It’s a good thing that you’re handy around the house. It’s got a good size to it, though it could definitely use a woman’s touch.” She flirted.

Lois made a bee line for the bedroom, surprising Clark as he skirted along the edge of the slightly raised kitchenette floor. She flipped on the bedroom light, which seemed far too bright for its use. Lois examined the furniture. Clark had brought the bed she’d slept in at the farm house, and the dressers that they used to share, and she spied the lone night stand from his barn loft.

“You dragged all this up seven stories by yourself?” Lois grilled him quizzically. “Um...no, Kara helped a lot.” Clark replied. “You made your young cousin carry this heavy furniture up here?” She scoffed. “Well, Kara’s a lot stronger than she looks.” He smirked, considering that it felt good to tell Lois the truth for a change. “Amazing.” She commented before noting several unopened boxes near the bed.

“I see you painted the closet walls already.” Lois continued to assess the situation. “Initiative, I like that.” She said sarcastically, parroting Perry White’s earlier remarks made during Clark’s job interview. As of yesterday, Perry had taken over the Daily Planet’s Chief Editor’s position. All of the Planet’s newsroom employees had to go for one on one interviews with the middle-aged experienced journalist.

“Let’s get to it, Smallville.” Lois said, seating herself comfortably on the edge of the bed. “Excuse me?” Clark reddened. “Let’s get to unpacking, Clark.” She added. “But Lois, it’s late...” Clark protested.

“Nah! It’s only ten o’clock. You’re not on the farm any longer, Smallville, there’ll be no roosters crowing at ungodly hours of the morning, though a Metropolis Sanitation truck might be just as loud and annoying.” She quipped, ripping open a nearby box containing Clark’s clothes.

He picked another box and began hanging clothes in resignation. It was nice of Lois to offer to help, but Clark could’ve gone through all the clothes and done more in a few blinks of an eye. About a half an hour had gone by, when Lois stopped in her tracks. “Clark Kent! You’ve been holding out on me!”

“Huh?” Lois’s exclamation had shocked him away from hanging up the winter jacket. “Why is it that your wardrobe consists mostly of red and blue clothes?” Lois accused as Clark stifled a gasp. She cocked her head at him, and narrowed her eyes. “Naw! It couldn’t be!” She scoffed.

“Lois, it so happens that red and blue are my favorite colors.” He defended weakly. “Uh huh.” She grinned thinly. “I thought maybe you were having red and blue blur envy issues.” Clark flushed. How can I be envious of myself? He mused. “Don’t be silly. I’ve always had red and blue clothes. Ask Chloe. Besides, here’s my black and white stuff as well.”

He opened another box and shoved a clean white tee shirt in her face. She playfully recoiled and flipped over onto the other side of the bed. How come his shirts don’t stink? Lois considered. He must be using some kick ass detergent, she thought, popping her bare feet onto the cold hardwood floor.

“I don’t suppose you’ve filled up the kitchen with any necessities?” Lois grinned, padding away from the bed, and sliding the last clothes box nearer to the closet. “Such as?” Clark pressed. “Beer, ice cream, munchies, bottled water, candy bars? You know, the bachelor pad essentials.” She joked.

“Nope. I managed to snag some water bottles from today’s Daily Planet reporters meeting, and that’s about it. Sorry.”Clark couldn’t believe how relaxed he felt being around Lois now. In his mind, it was like this particular situation was meant to be. He hadn’t felt this good since...Lana.

“No big deal.” Lois dismissed his look of concern. “It’s a good thing that we pigged out at dinner. So how was your first big meeting?” She said laconically. “It was pretty standard as far as meetings go. You know, rules and regulations, hours worked, and Perry gave a stirring speech about the Daily Planet’s journalistic integrity.” He informed her. “Ooh! Be still my beating heart. Sorry I missed that one!” She sniped.

Lois snickered as she reached the bottom of the clothes box, and began tossing Clark’s boxer shorts across the room, and onto the dresser top. “Where were you anyway?” Clark probed. “I was working on a hot lead.” She confessed. “Oh? About what?” Clark could probably guess.

“The red and blue blur, what else?” Lois confirmed. “Oh, him.” Clark scowled. What am I saying? He thought sourly. Lois took his silence to mean jealousy, again. “Smallville, you need to stop worrying about our resident super hero and crime-fighting savior.” She added. “I’m telling you, that the red and blue blur’s eventual unmasking, or revealing, will be the story that makes my career.”

Clark was tempted for an instant to tell Lois the truth, just to see the shocked expression on her face. Now’s not the time, he chided himself, but one day...he sighed with resignation, as the conflict in his mind began to build. “What did he or she do this time?”

“The blur stopped a bank robbery at Metropolis Federal over at Fifth and Main.” Lois told him. “Really?” Clark was skeptical. No I didn’t, he thought with surprise, maybe it was Kara? “I suppose no one saw anything, again.” Lois shook her head. “No. Just the same old red and blue shtick.”

“The only different observation this time, was that someone thought that they saw white and gold zip by as well.” Lois explained as she unceremoniously dumped Clark’s socks into a smaller dresser drawer. Yup, that sounds like Kara, Clark assumed. He’d have to ask her about that tomorrow after work.

“That’s interesting.” Clark commented absently. “I take it no one got injured?” Lois again shook her head. “Thankfully, no. You’d think that someone would find some physical evidence of our hero. I mean really, what kind of a police department do we have here in Metropolis?” She asked rhetorically.

Clark hadn’t really considered that. What if one day, an overeager detective did find a piece of clothing, like a thread, or a hair strand for that matter? They might try and get a DNA sample or something. He dismissed that thought, though, they’d have nothing to match it up with...I hope.

By Eleven o’clock, they’d completed unpacking all of Clark’s clothes and personal items. “I guess that’ll do it, Smallville.” Lois said as she yawned and stretched leisurely. “Thanks a bunch, Lois.” Clark hugged her, startling the young journalist. “No problem, Clark.” Lois said cheerfully.

She started for the door. “Uh Lois? Shoes!” Clark laughed as he picked up her black high heels. “Oh yeah. Thanks.” Her eyes sparkled. “Are you sure that you don’t want to keep them?” She gibed. “They go with anything!” Clark chuckled. “No thanks. I’ll pass. Come on I’ll walk you home.” He led her to the hallway, locked up the condo apartment, and started down the staircase.

“Um, Clark?” Lois yawned. “I think we’ll take the elevator this time.” Clark smiled. “Sure. Will do.” He guided her to the correct elevator car. “You know, you don’t have to walk me home.” She teased. Clark looked into her eyes and said: “But I want to. One can never be too safe.” Lois turned away and smiled brightly.

“I should be protecting you.” Lois joked. “You’re the farm boy on his own in the big city.” He laughed and pressed the down button. “I’m sure that I can handle it.” He retorted playfully. The elevator shuddered, sending Lois sprawling into Clark’s arms. He caught her and held her for a moment.

“I guess that I’ll have to call maintenance tomorrow.” Clark said as he released her. “I wonder when the last elevator inspection took place? Ooh! Sounds like a possible expose for the Planet.” He added. Lois snickered. “Very good, Smallville. I’ll make a top reporter of you yet.” She praised as the elevator hit the lobby floor roughly.

more...

Comment

awesome please udate soon!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍