Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season 5 Top Ten

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season 5 of "Smallville" truly was one of the greatest. It really handled the transition from high school to real life for our leads quite well, and really started to feel more like a Superman show.

1. Hidden: Wow! Just wow. I was so blown away by this episode. Loved the Clark/Lana bliss, and the interception of the lovers by Jonathan and Martha. Who didn't like the Clark/Chloe team-up? Also, the emotional death scene, followed by the astounding performances from Kristin Kreuk, John Schneider, Annette O'Toole, and Tom Welling in the hospital, and the missile save! This was just such an epic episode!

2. Reckoning: heart-breaking. Clark taking Lana to the Fortress was iconic in every way possible. After Lana died, I almost accepted it. But then Clark turned back time and I got nervous for every other character on the show. I was convinced that Chloe was going to be in the passenger seat of Lana's car and take the damage from the bus and die. And then I was just completely shocked and devastated when Jonathan had the heart attack. The two scenes following (Clark/Martha and the pearls, and the funeral) are two of the most heartfelt and heartbreaking scenes in the show's history. Beautiful episode.

3. Arrival: what a great season opener! From the Fortress of Solitude rising from the snow, to Clark & Chloe's conversation in the hospital, to Lana's discovery of the aliens and their spaceship, to Lois saving the Kents, to the Phantom Zone reveal, to Clark & Lana's hospital scene, to Brainiac, this was an episode that got me so pumped for season 5!

4. Solitude: this was the "Superman" episode! Loved the tease, it was nice and eery. Also loved the Chloe/Lois team-up, and the scenes between Clark and his parents. James Marsters did wonderfully well at making Brainiac incredibly creepy. And the showdown in the Fortress is one to be remembered. The final scenes were awesome too: Lois in the Planet, Martha and Clark, Clark and Chloe, and Clark and Jonathan's foreshadowing conversation. A+ in my book!

5. Splinter: basically, Tom Welling's performance was excellent. Loved the paranoia angle from this episode, also loved the truck chase at the beginning, and the whole cat-and-mouse feel in the scene with Clark, Lana, and Chloe at the college. There was something very terrifying about Clark chasing Lex & Lana through the mansion, and the fight between Brainiac and Clark was satisfying. Loved this episode.

6. Mortal: there's just something about this episode that makes me love it more and more the more I watch it. It was just so "fresh". Loved the new angle on the Clark/Lana romance, as well as the Clark/Chloe relationship. It was nice to see Smallville being rebuilt after the meteor shower, and Clark & Lex's friendship going further down the drain. Also liked seeing Clark being heroic sans superpowers, and the mention of Pete. The fight between Lex and Clark in the mansion was very foundational, and FINALLY Clark & Lana got it done!

7. Exposed: Lois Lane. 'Nuff said. And the very Lois n' Clark feel of the episode, not to mention the new Lex Luthor arc that got me feeling very comic booky (Lex's going into politics? What?). Also loved the "Dukes of Hazzard" nods between John Schneider and Tom Wopat. Overall, just a fun episode that heavily featured Erica Durance. And that costume. Hot!

8. Hypnotic: Call me crazy, but this episode did a lot for the season, as well as the series. How could you not love the tease? Brainiac being completely diabolical and killing people with no remorse? Awesome. Lana being patient with Clark? Awesome. The Lois/Chloe/Lana scene at the college? Awesome. Lex using someone against their will with blackmail? Awesome. The showdown at the mansion? Totally awesome. And the last Clark/Lana loft scene we thought we'd ever see? Nice and sad.

9. Mercy/Lexmas: Yeah, it's a tie. Both very Luthor-centric episodes. Loved the entire plot of Mercy. Liked seeing Lionel & Martha at the forefront of an episode, and liked learning more about Lionel's intentions. Also liked to see Clark & Lex teaming up to save their parents, and the final scenes between Clark & Lex and Clark & Lionel. It was a very nicely tense episode. With Lexmas, Michael Rosenbaum's performance was near brilliant, and it was nice to see an alternate universe and the way all the characters "changed". The ending of this episode is where it's at: Lex deciding that money and power is the way to go. It was like the last good strands of Lex were slowly fading away. Loved it.

10. Vessel: one of my favorite season enders. From Lex getting "taken" to the last shot of Clark flying into space, trapped in the Phantom Zone, this episode was epic on every level. Loved when Clark told Lionel that Lex was the vessel, and loved when Lex threw Lionel into the car. Loved the scene where Lex shows Lana his powers (very powerful scene for Kristin Kreuk). Also liked Clark & Lana's confrontation in the mansion. And then who could ever forget the Clark/Chloe kiss. EVERYONE watching was like, "Get it Chloe! FINALLY!" And the reveal that Brainiac was flying Martha & Lois' plane left me very nervous. The fight between Clark, Lex, and Brainiac was tense, and the final sequence of the chaos on the streets of Metropolis, leaving the fates of Lionel & Chloe unknown, was exquisite. The final shot of season 5 was also one to be remembered. A great end to a great season!

Comment

1. Vessel.
      2. Mercy.
      3. Arrival.
      4. Hidden.
      5. Oracle.
      6. Reckoning.
      7. Fanatic.
      8. Vengeance.
      9. Cyborg.
      10. Void.

Honorable Mention:
      Mortal

Comment

1. Mercy
        2. Vessel
        3. Solitude
        4. Arrival
        5. Splinter
        6. Mortal
        7. Vengeance
        8. Oracle
        9. Lexmas
        10. Tomb- Bad plot, but Allison's terrific performance was enough to get a spot in the top 10.

Comment

1. Reckoning - tears
          2. Splinter - paranoid and sweaty Clark
          3. Exposed - Lois and Clark!
          4. Vengeance - only because of the last scene with Clark and Martha, makes me cry every time!
          5. Fragile
          6. Mercy
          7. Lexmas
          8. Aqua
          9. Fade - Clark catching Lois in the shower
          10. Tomb - Allison Mack is amazing in this!

I don't know why I like my top 5-8 picks so much, but I watch them a lot so I LOVE something about them!

Comment

What's interesting for me, other than seeing what everyone else has to say about what their favorite top 10 episodes are, is the fact that I realize that I liked certain seasons a lot more than I thought. Season 5 is one that fits into that category. There were a lot of subpar episodes, but there were also many standout awesome ones, with some of the best acting we'd seen to date!

--SGuthrie ><>' --

Comment

Originally posted by SGuthrie27
              What's interesting for me, other than seeing what everyone else has to say about what their favorite top 10 episodes are, is the fact that I realize that I liked certain seasons a lot more than I thought. Season 5 is one that fits into that category. There were a lot of subpar episodes, but there were also many standout awesome ones, with some of the best acting we'd seen to date!
              I am on the side S5 seems to be overrated by many. To me it's a bunch of average to slightly above average episodes, with no standout good or bad episodes. I wasn't really a fan of the whole Clark gets his powers back so somebody has to die in his place storyline, which I found was the biggest negative on the season. S5 also was the first season that they started doing a full blown turning Clark's life into a Soap Opera.
              Last edited by Supsfan; 09-06-2009, 01:26 PM.

Comment

I can see where you're coming from on the whole "soap opera" issue, Supsfan. I agree that they started to pay even MORE unnecessary attention to the angsty love triangles and issues going on when they should've been more mindful of forming Clark into more of a Superman-type role. There were also a lot of gimmicky episodes this season -- vampires on Smallville, strippers on Smallville, It's a Wonderful Life on Smallville (even though I liked Lexmas)...

--SGuthrie ><>' --

Comment

Well based on the ones that I rewatch over and over again:
                  1. Reckoning--100th ep and just the way the ep was written is awesome!
                  2.Arrival,Mortal and Hidden tied for the Chlarky goodness in those eps.
                  3.Vessel--Zod, Brainiac, Chlark Kiss what's NOT to like?
                  4.Lexmas--I love the idea of Lex possibly being a good guy but in the end still choosing evil
                  5.Splinter--Paranoid Clark now that's what I'm talkin' about! IDK but I love rewatching this one.

Season 5 may seem overrated to some but I really loved it! To me it was just the season of Chlark at their best. A great season for Chloe!

Comment

that's just it, it was a great season for chloe not clark matter of fact reckoning made clark look like a self-obsessed jerk. but to each their own.
                    Last edited by Night_Hawk90; 09-06-2009, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SGuthrie27

--SGuthrie ><>' --
                      I'm like that with S1, as I rewatched it last month and really enjoyed it. I had forgotten so many of the little things that really made me love the show. But for S5 I'm the opposite. When I first watched it, sure, I thought some episodes were kinda dumb (I couldn't stand Lexmas. I ranted so much about that episode, especially the title... gah! Still not one of my favorites, but it has grown on me a tiny bit... like a fungus), but on the whole I thought it was good and thought the second half was fantastic.

However, when I bought the DVD set awhile ago and was rewatching them... I can't believe I liked it so much before. I used to think "Vessel" was soooo cool. But on my most recent watching I could barely stand it. It was so... silly. Brainiac causes blackouts, something which happens all the time, and people go crazy? Um... okay. I just can't see how I liked that episode before. And most of the episodes I see are now pretty average. Not too good, not too bad. So... I'm not sure I can come up with ten, but I'll try. Most likely they won't be in any order.

1. Arrival
                      2. Mortal
                      3. Hidden

I really like all three of these, especially Hidden. They all flowed together very nicely, and it was cool to see Clark without his powers and he and Lana happy for a little bit. Hidden also had that freaking awesome super jump where he grabs onto the missile.

4. Solitude
                      5. Reckoning
                      6. Vengeance
                      7. Cyborg
                      8. Fragile
                      9. Mercy (really liked this one. Good stuff between Martha and Lionel)
                      10. Um... either Oracle, or Exposed. Not sure. I loved that Lois remembered how to fight in this one (she frequently forgets), she looked hot, and that helicopter grab was cool. Oracle... Um... I remember I liked the creepiness of "Jonathan" sitting in the dark when Martha comes in. And then Brainiac watching her from outside. So yeah, either of those episodes.

One really good thing about this season... bye-bye Jonathan. I know I'm probably in the minority, but I don't like him. I like him sometimes, but most of the time he was such a stubborn jerk. Really allowed Clark to start to grow up after that, too.
                      Last edited by Nerf; 10-03-2009, 11:35 PM.

Comment

1. Solitude
                        2. Reckoning
                        3. Oracle
                        4. Vessel
                        5. Aqua
                        6. Void
                        7. Arrival
                        8. Hidden
                        9. Mercy
                        10. Hypnotic

Comment

Originally posted by Night_Hawk90
                          that's just it, it was a great season for chloe not clark matter of fact reckoning made clark look like a self-obsessed jerk. but to each their own.
                          I didn't care for Reckoning myself, but I don't think it made Clark look like a self obsessed jerk, he just didn't think stuff through enough.

The whole problem with Reckoning in general was it was another one of those Clark can't win no matter what he does type things. I refer to it basically as drama for the sake of drama(which Smallville seems to do all to often). The whole Clark losing powers and somebody will die in his place should have never been brought to the show in the first place, they basically set up a situation where Clark would come out looking bad no matter what.

As for it being a great season for Chloe, I agree. By shoe horning her into Clark's superhero duties it definantly helped her character look good but did no favors for Clark. I go back to the episode Solitude as one that was ruined for me because of Chloe. Was there really any need to have her find out info on Milton Fine, run up to the FOS and take a piece of Green K off of Clark other then to build up how wonderful Chloe was? They could have just as easily had Clark build up enough strength to roll out from under the Green K and crawl away and beat Brainiac and it wouldn't have made any difference other then the last Chloe&Clark scene that he tells us how he is lost without Chloe(and looks like a moron because there was a super easy way he could have done it himself)
                          Last edited by Supsfan; 10-03-2009, 02:12 PM.

Comment

1-)Arrival
                            2-)Mortal
                            3-)Hidden - these three episodes are awesome!
                            4-)Vessel
                            5-)Reckoning
                            6-)Exposed - I'm a Clana fan but the Clois in this episode rocked!
                            7-)Mercy
                            8-)Hypnotic
                            9-)Thirst
                            10-)Solitude

but Lexmas and Tomb was good, too. ^^

Comment

Can't decide so I will put in groups
                              Hidden Arrival Lexmas
                              mortal reckoning vengeance
                              mercy splinter solitude vessel

all very well done

Comment

Here's my top ten faves, in no particular order...

Arrival, Hidden, Solitude, Lexmas, Reckoning, Vengeance, Fragile, Mercy, Oracle, Vessel

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎