No announcement yet.

Timeline Issues- Movie Vs Show

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeroesUnlimited
    Then how do YOU explain one of them just hopping over to the other one's timeline?

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Then it isn't really "erased". It's delayed. Pushed back. The only way I'd buy the use of the term "erased" is if something they did made a PERMANENT change to the timeline.
    You don't go forward into someone elses timeline, but when you go back your timeline instantly changes for you. No one can explain, and no one can truly know what happens to that original timeline that has been shifted for you. Either it continues on its own path, or it ceases to exist. But there is zero definitive way to know what happens. Multiple timelines are speaking about multiple futures that multiple people have clear memories of that no longer will ever happen.

Judgementday 1 is erased. Otherwise it would happen exactly as it did. The 'pushed back' judgement day is a completely separate event, one that does not happen in the exact same way it originally would have. You have to separate that the two events are distinctly their own, even if skynet has been involved in all of them, the original events never and will never happen otherwise they would have happened exactly as they should have. The new 'judgement day' is the only judgement day that the current timeline knows. The originaly judgement day was erased. we have quotes of John Connor in movies and in trailers stating 'this is not the way it was supposed to happen, this is not the future my mother warned me about'

Why? because that future, including that judgement day was erased from his timeline. He only exists in his own timeline, nothing he does should be able to change what he has experienced. Otherwise it would all instantly disappear and we would have to watch it from the beginning again. However people from HIS future can come back and change what he does to change their past. Because we the viewers are watching the story of this John Connor, he is our constant. HOwever his future can change on a whim any time someone is ported to the past, which as we watch it, tends to be his present.

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Jigga
    Like I said, T3 puts the biggest kink for anyone who believes that there's only a single time line.

The whole idea of the T-X being sent back to eliminate the lieutenants create a paradox. Her killing any of the lieutenants means they are erased from her memory, which means she would not have killed them?
    Sorry, slight correction.

She existed in that timeline, so her memory is intact, that is the proof of multiple timelines, unless that is what you are trying to explain then my apologies.

She existed in that timeline, her past can not be changed in her memory, when she ported to the past what she did was changed the current timelines future, she still has a clear memory of everything she experienced, but that future her will never experience those things. She won't have her memory wiped, but she will change what happens.

For some reason people think that back to the future has some relevence in the theory of time travel, when actually all it does is muddle the theory.

----- Added 5 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by HeroesUnlimited
    Then what exactly was the point of T1? Why even bother killing Sarah Connor if John Connor is just going to "exist" anyway? Kind of blows the entire premise out of the franchise out of the water, doesn't it?
    The point was it was skynets first attempt to kill john connor, and we as viewers got to watch it.

the attempt failed, skynet re adjusted its priorities and sent a terminator later to get the job done, again failed and then adjusted priorities.

then sent a terminator to kill other leaders of the resistance seeing as John Connor was proving too formidable.

John Connor is only destined to exist because that is the story that is being told, it is a script, it is a story. the story that we the viewers are watching. That is the point of terminator one. to tell a story. terminator twos point is to continue telling that story.... and so on and so on.

The story is about John Connor.
    Last edited by Yoshua; 06-01-2009, 08:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Well, yes, I was trying to explain the issues with a single time line.

The T-X only keeps the memories because she had to have come from another time line.

Not only does Skynet keep sending back Terminators, each one is more advanced than it should be. At the point in T1 when Kyle is sent back, John Connor won the war. It sends a T-800. However, in the T2, it sends back a T-1000 and Arnold's T-800 even remarks that his model and build is out of date. This means that because of the events in T1 with the hand left behind by the original bad T-800, Skynet became advanced at a quicker pace. Similarly, in T3, the T-X is an even more advanced model than the T-1000 with built-in weaponry.

Comment

Yoshua,
        I read your post and I understand what you're saying, even if I don't agree with it. I'm not going to rehash the whole "Was Judgment Day erased or pushed back?" argument because at this point, we're just repeating ourselves. You say "erased", I say "delayed". I'm afraid we're just going to have to agree to disagree. On a separate note, let's not let this become "personal". I get the impression that some people here are personally offended when you disagree with them. Let's keep it civil.

Comment

as far as im concered as long as time travel exits,time will always be in a state of flux

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎