Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Jacob really dead?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Jacob took the stabbing because he was hoping that Ben wouldn't do it. He had faith in Ben to do the right thing. . . . according to Miles.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoRU?
      Well Jacob took the stabbing because he was hoping that Ben wouldn't do it. He had faith in Ben to do the right thing. . . . according to Miles.
      The only issue with this I have is the fact that Jacob basically "goaded" Ben into going through with it. After Ben said "What about ME?", Jacob replied "What ABOUT you". Not exactly the best thing to say to encourage Ben to "do the right thing". Ben was afterall already being goaded on by Smokey as well as by who he thought was his dead daughter, so he wasn't exactly in the best state of mind to take any more cryptic nonsense from the mysterious Jacob. Ben was looking for some answers/explanations but instead Jacob remained annoyingly cryptic and vague to the bitter end. Hell I'da stabbed him too. Who wouldn't have?

The thing with Jacob is that he clearly can foresee the future that will result based on what he does ("pushing" people in certain directions in their lives, obviously being able to foresee the end result). So clearly he meant for Ben to "kill" him at this point, so that he could then appear to Hurley in 'ghost' form (so he's not exactly truly dead anyway), so that he could then guide him Obi-Wan style to do things like take Jack to the lighthouse, etc, etc.

Comment

I don't know if he goaded Benry, it seems to me that Jacob is just one of those mellow guru types that answers your question with a question. You know, like "if a Smoke Monster ticks in the jungle and no one is there to hear it does it still make a sound?" But, I don't find him all that omniscient if he thought it'd work when almost everyone who's seen Ben's flashbacks already knows Benry was a crazy killing machine. I mean, he killed his own father, didn't Jacob see that? Well, maybe Jacob missed that when he was off the Island buying Katie her New Kids lunch box and trying to save her from a life of crime.

Comment

Originally posted by FotW
          I don't know if he goaded Benry, it seems to me that Jacob is just one of those mellow guru types that answers your question with a question.
          He wasn't so 'mellow' the last episode though now was he....lol he beat the crap out of poor "Ricardo". haha, I was surprised by that, didn't seem like a very "Jacob" thing to have him do. I expected more of a Gandhi type "passive resistance" from him, talking Ricardo out of trying to stab him. Afterall, he gave Ben a "choice" about whether or not to stab him and didn't try to fight it, but Ricardo he put a hurt on. lol Make up your mind already Jacob. Clearly he "wanted" to die when Ben came a knockin', as part of his grand plan. Otherwise he would have exposed the manipulation of FLocke/Smokey or explained things better for clueless Ben, sort of like he did when he literally "knocked some sense" into Ricardo.

You know, like "if a Smoke Monster ticks in the jungle and no one is there to hear it does it still make a sound?"
          Those weird mechanical sounds really do seem to point to some sort of machine/technology, don't they...and yet we're getting all this other stuff that seem to point to Egyptian god magic too. Still not really clear what's really going on eh...

But, I don't find him all that omniscient if he thought it'd work when almost everyone who's seen Ben's flashbacks already knows Benry was a crazy killing machine. I mean, he killed his own father, didn't Jacob see that? Well, maybe Jacob missed that when he was off the Island buying Katie her New Kids lunch box and trying to save her from a life of crime.
          Lol. Well Jacob clearly has various "powers", and I think one of them is seeing the future, or perhaps more accurately "possible futures" that would result based on what someone does or doesn't do (including himself). And his goal could be to help realize the best possible future(s). His other powers include giving "life"/healing by a mere touch. And he somehow was able to "bring" the ship Ricardo was on to the island, by some still unclear/vague manner. Or maybe it's all just time travel that gives Jacob this apparent insight into the future, meaning Jacob is basically channeling Terminator's John Connor, and acting to fulfill the past.
          Last edited by Xanderman; 03-25-2010, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderman
            He wasn't so 'mellow' the last episode though now was he....lol he beat the crap out of poor "Ricardo". haha, I was surprised by that, didn't seem like a very "Jacob" thing to have him do. I expected more of a Gandhi type "passive resistance" from him, talking Ricardo out of trying to stab him. Afterall, he gave Ben a "choice" about whether or not to stab him and didn't try to fight it, but Ricardo he put a hurt on. lol Make up your mind already Jacob. Clearly he "wanted" to die when Ben came a knockin', as part of his grand plan. Otherwise he would have exposed the manipulation of FLocke/Smokey or explained things better for clueless Ben, sort of like he did when he literally "knocked some sense" into Ricardo.
            That was awesome! And the forced "baptism" on Ricardo was awesome too! If Jacob is the Sun god Ra or some kind of solar powered being (he's from Krypton!) maybe he couldn't fight Ben at night. But that sounds silly so I hope not! lol Maybe Jacob wouldn't kill or fight at all inside the sacred space of the protector goddess's sanctuary/statue. I like that better. Or you could be right he wanted to be killed, I guess he's was just tired of living to just to fight with the MiB who seems like lousy company (he doesn't even appreciate when Jacob gives him presents!) and decided being a ghost is better. Why not let Hurley do all the leg work?

Comment

Originally posted by FotW
              the forced "baptism" on Ricardo was awesome too!
              Lol I didn't even think about the possibility of Jacob's actions doubling as a "baptism"/purification in that scene.

Maybe Jacob wouldn't kill or fight at all inside the sacred space of the protector goddess's sanctuary/statue. I like that better.
              I'd agree with this if Jacob was neutral not only in his actions but in words as well. But he wasn't. His choice of words were clearly not designed to "soothe" Ben or talk him out of stabbing him. "What about you" is not exactly the smartest thing to say to somebody considering killing you. lol The prophet Jacob was calm and clearly expected their arrival. All just part of his greater plan. Jacob will have the final "checkmate". (Not really a fair contest though given Jacob is pretty much all-seeing....it's no wonder Smokey feels he must "cheat" the rules in order to win, because how else can you beat this friggin guy? lol)

I guess he's was just tired of living to just to fight with the MiB who seems like lousy company (he doesn't even appreciate when Jacob gives him presents!) and decided being a ghost is better. Why not let Hurley do all the leg work?
              Lol. And besides using his pawn Hurley, his death accomplishes other things, including making way for the next protector (as it's probably "their time" now), along with leading to events such as MIB taking the actions he's taking now, Richard becoming faith-tested, etc, etc, all in order to lead to an ultimate ending which no doubt "Cheater of Cheaters" Jacob had foreseen long ago. Everything that's happening, the Sideways, etc, are all part of the same chessboard, and master chess player Jacob is moving his pieces in position for final victory.
              Last edited by Xanderman; 03-28-2010, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Jacob's dead but his influence still resides.

Locke on the other hand will rise.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎