Loved It? Hated It? What Did You Think Of "Doomsday?"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I've been binge rewatching all the series, I couldn't remember which episode was the one that made me stop watching until the final episode.

And now, I do Horrible episode, painful season finale.
    Last edited by squirpe; 05-24-2015, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• Often nicknamed "Failsday", this is probably the least popular season finale in the show's history. I think part of the problem is that a lot of people went into this episode, expecting an epic battle. Because that's what Doomsday is know for (don't think the advertisement for the episode said anything about an "epic battle"). Fighting Superman, until the both seemingly die. A percentage of the viewers no doubt went into this, expecting an adaptation of The Death of Superman (which isn't a good storyline and was only a cheap publicity stunt). Instead they got the set-up for said epic battle, with Doomsday being buried. One day he'll possibly be released and fight Superman. And next time he won't be able to solve the situation with a lucky tackle and a pre-arranged dumping ground.

At the end of the day, Doomsday isn't a good villain. Think Dan Jurgens (his creator) have said so himself. He's simply a plot device for killing off Superman. A feat you could accomplish with a Kryptonite bullet... but we NEED action. A clever assassination plot wouldn't be acceptable.

This episode showed a possible flaw in the show's premise. It's about Clark's journey to becoming Superman, from his starting to save people at 14 and putting on the suit at 23-24 years old. The show ends with him becoming Superman. Thus, parts of the show is doing set-up for things that'll never be paid off.

This episode also killed off Jimmy Olsen and revealed him to be Henry James Olsen, the older brother of the comic book Jimmy Olsen. Which also spawned some controversy. We recently saw a reprise of it on Arrow, with Black Canary. However, it should perhaps be noted that he never said his name was James Bartholomew Olsen. Though, most will probably not see that as an acceptable excuse for the reveal/retcon. Some have also critized the idea of two brothers being named "James". We never learned their father's name. In the comics, his name is James Jacob "Jake" Olsen. Assuming that's the case here too, then that's the reason why both brothers were named "James".

I do wish they had simply introduced him as Jimmy's older brother. However, his time on the show and ultimate demise does really put in a strong foundation for why Clark and Lois would take this young man under their wings and Superman giving JBO the signal watch in the future. He's the brother of a dear friend of theirs. One that Clark failed to save. A fact he'll no doubt be reminded about, everytime he sees Jimmy, as the older Jimmy looks just like his brother. So he sees helping Jimmy as a chance to make up for failing to save HJO. And gives him a signal watch, to make sure that he won't fail to save Jimmy too.

And before his death, Henry James Olsen supplied Chloe with the building that'll serve as the base of operations for the Justice league, for the remainder of the show (and most of the S11 comic). And his death caused Chloe to become devoted to building up the JL. So, he did have an impact on the rest of the series.

Comment

• Originally posted by jon-el87
        Often nicknamed "Failsday", this is probably the least popular season finale in the show's history. I think part of the problem is that a lot of people went into this episode, expecting an epic battle. Because that's what Doomsday is know for (don't think the advertisement for the episode said anything about an "epic battle"). Fighting Superman, until the both seemingly die. A percentage of the viewers no doubt went into this, expecting an adaptation of The Death of Superman (which isn't a good storyline and was only a cheap publicity stunt). Instead they got the set-up for said epic battle, with Doomsday being buried. One day he'll possibly be released and fight Superman. And next time he won't be able to solve the situation with a lucky tackle and a pre-arranged dumping ground.
        Yeah, the whole battle and how it ended was truly lame. I mean, ok so Clark buried Doomsday....but surely, Doomsday should've resurfaced by the start of season 9. The fact that Doomsday remained buried for the rest of the series was pretty stupid. He's more than strong enough to escape a deep burial in the ground.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎