Collapse
No announcement yet.

They completely butchered the Mythos

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the worst butchering of Smallville's very own mythos was last season with the Veritas plot and in Eternal. There are several other things this season & in seasons past, but nothing disappointed me more than what they did with Veritas & the Traveler. The mythos they created for this show with the cave in seasons 2 & 3, everything that happened with Lex on the Loeb bridge & his investigations with Dr. Hamilton, Roger Nixon, and Dr. Walden and the buildup of Lionel and how he learned about why Lex refused to join him in Metropolis in Duplicity & Red after offering him a job in Reaper and all the stuff with Lex & his brother Julian and everything that happened in Memoria were my favorite elements of the show. These are what attracted me most to the show because they elevated the Clark-Lex dynamic and added so many more dimensions, especially when the Lionel plot in season 3 kicked into high gear. Every aspect of these great, creative storylines were somehow contradicted and ruined by Veritas & the events in Eternal.

To me, this precisely was the worst butchering they ever did. I'll even say that the way they introduced Grant Gabriel was consistent with the past mythos they gave us. The problem with that was the disrespect they showed by giving it no significance. Grant was just killed off & never mentioned again. The butchering of the Lex storyline from Memoria happened in Eternal, and not even that was spared.

Comment

Originally posted by j-kent
      This series isn't obligated to stay within the same lines of traditional mythology. Like many writers who write variations of superhero comic stories...SV represents their own story which conventionally, isn't bad at all and quite entertaining
      To a certain extent, you're entirely right. But when the showrunnes say a few weeks ago that everything they're doing will come into line with the DC mythology and then put out something like this that uses only the names of characters that actually have fans and utterly butcher them for no reason means they either are lying to keep the comic fans on-board or stupid enough to not know how bad they're messing it up.

You can also change things while being respectful of the source material (like the first five seasons did fairly well) without randomly assigning names to things that have no resemblance to the source material. If you want to have an anti-hero that can take away people's powers permantley, fine. Just don't slap the name Parasite on the guy. If you want to show Tess is willingly to kill her team members off, okay. Just don't kill off two Superman villians before they you know....fight Superman.

----- Added 8 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by xrayvision
      I think the worst butchering of Smallville's very own mythos was last season with the Veritas plot and in Eternal. There are several other things this season & in seasons past, but nothing disappointed me more than what they did with Veritas & the Traveler. The mythos they created for this show with the cave in seasons 2 & 3, everything that happened with Lex on the Loeb bridge & his investigations with Dr. Hamilton, Roger Nixon, and Dr. Walden and the buildup of Lionel and how he learned about why Lex refused to join him in Metropolis in Duplicity & Red after offering him a job in Reaper and all the stuff with Lex & his brother Julian and everything that happened in Memoria were my favorite elements of the show. These are what attracted me most to the show because they elevated the Clark-Lex dynamic and added so many more dimensions, especially when the Lionel plot in season 3 kicked into high gear. Every aspect of these great, creative storylines were somehow contradicted and ruined by Veritas & the events in Eternal.

To me, this precisely was the worst butchering they ever did. I'll even say that the way they introduced Grant Gabriel was consistent with the past mythos they gave us. The problem with that was the disrespect they showed by giving it no significance. Grant was just killed off & never mentioned again. The butchering of the Lex storyline from Memoria happened in Eternal, and not even that was spared.
      I agree that Veritas and Traveler did serious damage to the rest of the series, but in retrospect it's nothing compared to the fact that Lionel apparently somehow knew Clark was the Traveler but for some apparent reason didn't just take the child by force or how his actions in the earlier seasons simply don't match with him knowing that information.

The Grant Gabriel arc could have turned out interesting but ended up very poorly executed and really added nothing to the plot.

These were prety bad, but at least it was their story to ruin. Crap like "Injustice", "Power" and "Requiem" should be considered insults to the creators that originally thought up said concepts.
      Last edited by Jawth; 05-12-2009, 01:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

That was my main problem with Veritas. Who the hell would buy that Lionel always knew that Clark would come to Earth & even the very day he would arrive (something that not even Dr. Swann was shown privy to)? Then they did a 2nd take on the prophecy and Sageeth saying that Sageeth was Clark (in Quest they said the monster head was Clark turning evil as a result of being controlled). Then they made Davis Sageeth. It was a complete joke. Lex is Sageeth and nobody but him will ever be Sageeth.

I agree about the DC characters. I want Morgan Edge back too. At least his "demise" was questionable and no confirmation was ever done. I wasn't happy about Bizarro either. It was disgusting how they turned him into a p---y like he became. I wasn't even crazy about him not being like the classic Bizarro being disfigured with that cracked face.

Comment

Lionel and his whole new backstory with Veritas made no sense whatsoever. Perhaps it would have been better if they had shown that Lionel was not part of Veritas and he discovered it some time after he became interested in Clark. Then he turned everything upside down to get to the Orb/secret of the Traveler. Or at least something like that.

Oh well if, the Orb turns out to be the Eradicator then at least some good would have come out of that Veritas mess.

Comment

That was my main problem with Veritas. Who the hell would buy that Lionel always knew that Clark would come to Earth & even the very day he would arrive (something that not even Dr. Swann was shown privy to)?
            Sometimes it's better just to tell a simple story then trying to get to convoluted. I am on the I really didn't care for Veritas train myself

Comment

I think it is pretty clear that this show was in serious trouble last season with Al/Miles at the helm. They seemed tapped out for ideas, especially involving Lana and even sometimes Lex. Everything felt like it had been done before early on in the season, much like Season 6 of 24 was as a whole. When the writer's strike was about to come to fruition, I think they had a couple ideas on the table and couldn't decide where to go with them. I think they sensed danger in the show being canceled that they decided to create the Veritas arc to try and bring everyone back to previous seasons.

With that said, this season has attempted to clean some of the mess left from last year and the best way they have done that is moving forward in most things. Obviously Eternal brought us back but I still think it is the interpretation that Tess had about the Legend of Naman and Sageeth.

And I think it is a little too quick to judge whether or not those characters were meant to be the DC characters or not, particularly Parasite.If it were meant to be the true parasite I think more attention would have been paid to him. Again, this may only be a code name.

It doesn't seem that any villain is permanently dismissed on this show and there is always a chance they could come back or in the future we don't see after this show ends.

Comment

Originally posted by House of Brock
                I think it is pretty clear that this show was in serious trouble last season with Al/Miles at the helm. They seemed tapped out for ideas, especially involving Lana and even sometimes Lex. Everything felt like it had been done before early on in the season, much like Season 6 of 24 was as a whole. When the writer's strike was about to come to fruition, I think they had a couple ideas on the table and couldn't decide where to go with them. I think they sensed danger in the show being canceled that they decided to create the Veritas arc to try and bring everyone back to previous seasons.

With that said, this season has attempted to clean some of the mess left from last year and the best way they have done that is moving forward in most things. Obviously Eternal brought us back but I still think it is the interpretation that Tess had about the Legend of Naman and Sageeth.

And I think it is a little too quick to judge whether or not those characters were meant to be the DC characters or not, particularly Parasite.If it were meant to be the true parasite I think more attention would have been paid to him. Again, this may only be a code name.

It doesn't seem that any villain is permanently dismissed on this show and there is always a chance they could come back or in the future we don't see after this show ends.

While Al/Miles did some pretty ****ing stupid things, nothing compares to the Super-Lana/Kill Lex crap that came out this season.

The Injustice team originally consisted of random villians created for the show but at last minute changed thier names to those of comic book villians. They should have just went with the original plan, as each of these villians could have got their own episode (or maybe even arc regarding Parasite) if done more in line with the source material. Instead they have them killed off before they even fight Clark of completely change the character to something that has no resemblance to the inspiration at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawth
                  They unnessisarily killed off two villians (Livewire and Neutron), turned Parasite into a anti-hero, made Clark look absolutely pathetic and dumb enough not to bring Green K along with him, showed how easily Ollie could kick his ass if he wanted too, continued to bring up the absolutely ridiculous "Lex is dead" arc, and treat Davis and Doomsday like they're separate entities (which if true, only makes this DD MORE of a Hulk ripoff).

When the producers say they want to line up with DC mythos and feed us this crap, I want to laugh and cry at the same time. They give us a great string of episodes (first half of S8) then put out this....

All I can say is, unless the finale wows me (which, judging by the spoilers isn't going to happen) I won't be sticking around for season 9.
                  Look at this show as "Ultimate Superman". Viewed in that light almost anything is forgivable (except all things Lana and The AoS). So I don't mind two villains dying in that sense. Give Season 9 a chance, in the interviews they said the show will finally align with the mythos of the comics. So maybe we'll see him with the glasses and maybe in the end..........even the Superman costume!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperheroFan87
                    Look at this show as "Ultimate Superman". Viewed in that light almost anything is forgivable (except all things Lana and The AoS). So I don't mind two villains dying in that sense. Give Season 9 a chance, in the interviews they said the show will finally align with the mythos of the comics. So maybe we'll see him with the glasses and maybe in the end..........even the Superman costume!

lol the writers and showrunners say that all the time

Comment

This show has become almost unwatchable. The writers and producers seem to have forgotten its basic premise: this is SUPERMAN!!!. Clark is almost the weakest character around. Despite his super senses, people sneak up on him all the time. Chloe talks him out of sending Doomsday to the Phantom Zone (a fair sentence for a mass murderer), then immediately turns around and gives up. WTH?

But the real problem is that the writers don't seem to know what to do. Early in the season with Clark at the Daily Planet working with Lois, sparks starting between them, and Clark acting heroic it looked like the show would evolve and take us with it. Instead Lana (BBBBAAAAAAAARRRRRRRFFFF) returns (?), gets super powers (??), and acts more super than Superman (???). Then we get filler, angst, and nothing. Clark's honor and dignity are shown to make him more weak than heroic. And everyone who knows his secret tells him, "Start being the hero you are." Ironically, they're acting in the role of the viewers. When Clark wasn't sure what his destiny was, that was one thing. Now it's like he's actively resisting it.

C'mon, Clark. Be the Man of Steel, not the Red-Blue Blur. Kick the living $h!+ out of Doomsday. Grab Lois and fly off into the sunset.

Comment

WHO CARES? If they had just done everything Smallville has done in a comic reiteration and retconned the story starting anew, nobody would say anything. This is the new continuity, which just uses the mythology as a basis. It is not copying them.

Like I said, if this story Smallville has was part of a new comic arc, no on would be complaining...

Comment

Originally posted by Liquid-Prince
                          WHO CARES? If they had just done everything Smallville has done in a comic reiteration and retconned the story starting anew, nobody would say anything. This is the new continuity, which just uses the mythology as a basis. It is not copying them.

Like I said, if this story Smallville has was part of a new comic arc, no on would be complaining...
                          Who cares!? That's kinda rude. But anyway, it's obviously this topic was created because someone cares, and actually quite a bit of folks do care. Every episode is subjected to opinions and scrutiny since it is supposed to line up with the DC mythos at this point and so forth. This is their own wording on the subject. They dropped the ball in Injustice, which is a shame it had potential to be great, so they're being called on it. With the Injustice title, more was expected then a filler for one, and they made the villainous characters rather mediocre and some like Neutron never meeting up with Clark/Superman before getting killed. The episode seemed rushed and sloppily put together. They tried with Injustice, but failed, however I do think they'll make up for it in S9 and it won't be so rushed, we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicus
                            Who cares!? That's kinda rude. But anyway, it's obviously this topic was created because someone cares, and actually quite a bit of folks do care. Every episode is subjected to opinions and scrutiny since it is supposed to line up with the DC mythos at this point and so forth. This is their own wording on the subject. They dropped the ball in Injustice, which is a shame it had potential to be great, so they're being called on it. With the Injustice title, more was expected then a filler for one, and they made the villainous characters rather mediocre and some like Neutron never meeting up with Clark/Superman before getting killed. The episode seemed rushed and sloppily put together. They tried with Injustice, but failed, however I do think they'll make up for it in S9 and it won't be so rushed, we'll see.
                            I only said who cares because I'm tired of people complaining and saying that it's been butchered. If this story being used in Smallville right now was being released in the newest Superman comics, no one would say anything. But Oh know Smallville is always butchering things...

Comment

To me, Injustice seemed to pimp out various things rather than focus on the story at hand. I wanted to see Clark execute his plan, and now we'll never see him even try to use that crystal again. I was also interested in seeing more of the team, but what did we get with that? We didn't even get the shadow guy from Prey.

I said it in another thread in this episode's forum: the events of this episode should have been split over 2 episodes, namely Beast & this one. Beast was so full of garbage. Instead they could have made a 2-part storyline with Chloe & Davis running away and the Injustice team on their tail. Instead Beast wasted so much time with garbage scenes and Injustice focused too much on Ollie-Tess, Clark-Tess, and Tess-Injustice team. We just never got a real mission going. It would have been nice to get Jimmy & Davis (and ugh, even Chloe) appearing in both episodes & seeing Davis go up against Injustice team members.

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Liquid-Prince
                              I only said who cares because I'm tired of people complaining and saying that it's been butchered. If this story being used in Smallville right now was being released in the newest Superman comics, no one would say anything. But Oh know Smallville is always butchering things...
                              The thing is, such a story would never appear in the comics because it would get rejected. If anyone saw a superhero in the comics jumping into bed with Tess or someone like her, I guarantee you there would be many readers who would never pick up another issue of that comic again. That was the most pathetic depiction of a "superhero" I have ever seen. The comics aren't a love story like this show has become. Thank God Dawn Ostroff has no control over them.
                              Last edited by xrayvision; 05-12-2009, 08:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

To me, Injustice seemed to pimp out various things rather than focus on the story at hand. I wanted to see Clark execute his plan, and now we'll never see him even try to use that crystal again. I was also interested in seeing more of the team, but what did we get with that? We didn't even get the shadow guy from Prey.

I said it in another thread in this episode's forum: the events of this episode should have been split over 2 episodes, namely Beast & this one. Beast was so full of garbage. Instead they could have made a 2-part storyline with Chloe & Davis running away and the Injustice team on their tail. Instead Beast wasted so much time with garbage scenes and Injustice focused too much on Ollie-Tess, Clark-Tess, and Tess-Injustice team. We just never got a real mission going. It would have been nice to get Jimmy & Davis (and ugh, even Chloe) appearing in both episodes & seeing Davis go up against Injustice team members.

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

The thing is, such a story would never appear in the comics because it would get rejected. If anyone saw a superhero in the comics jumping into bed with Tess or someone like her, I guarantee you there would be many readers who would never pick up another issue of that comic again. That was the most pathetic depiction of a "superhero" I have ever seen. The comics aren't a love story like this show has become. Thank God Dawn Ostroff has no control over them.
                                Umm, Green Arrow would totally be the character in the stories to bed a women for the cause. He is the womanizer of the Justice League... And there have been worse comic stories that have been published, and this seasons storyline is actually pretty great. Like I said, if it DID get printed in comic form, people would say nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎