This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BadToad
    And this week, on Chloeville...

Episode Running Time: 41m, 38s (previously on: 1m, 6s)

Clark: 12m, 51s
    Chloe: 20m, 36s
    Jimmy: 10m, 38s
    Davis: 15m, 43s
    Oliver: 16m, 59s

Season to Date (# of eps):

Clark: 402m, 6s (20)
    Chloe: 274m, 12s (20)
    Lois: 146m, 35s (11)
    Jimmy: 103m, 24s (10)
    Tess: 98m, 29s (11)
    Davis: 109m, 52s (11)
    Oliver: 112m, 39s (10)
    Thanks Bad Toad as always.

Bringing the analysis across from last week and updating it if that's okay

Clark's highest screentime remains - Infamous: 27m 31s.
    His lowest (congratulations to Beast for taking the 'honor' from Power) - Beast: 12m, 51s

As per last week, the trend continues with episodes that focus on other characters tending as a norm to bring his screentime down compared to theirs:

Toxic (Oliver backstory) - Clark: 16m 1s, Oliver: 24m 49s (Clark 8m 48s less)
    Committed (Lois-centric by screentime) - Clark: 19m 6s, Lois: 21m 52s (Clark 2m 46s less)
    Abyss (Chloe flashbacks) - Clark: 20m 57s, Chloe: 29m 46s (Clark 8m 49s less)
    Power (Lana flashbacks) - Clark: 15m 2s, Lana: 20m 15s (Clark 5m 13s less)
    Hex (Chloe-centric) - Clark: 22m 41s, Chloe: 26m 57s (Clark 4m 16s less)
    Eternal (Davis backstory) - Clark: 16m 1s, Davis: 22m 42s (Clark 6m 41s less)
    Stiletto (Lois-centric) - Clark: 18m 56s, Lois: 22m 48s (Clark 3m 52s less)
    Power (Chloe/Doomsday-centric) - Clark: 12m 51s, Chloe: 20m 36s (Clark 7m 45s less)

Abyss and Hex still kept him above the 20 minute mark (Abyss giving him 8m 49s less than the person the episode was focussed on and Hex giving him 4m 16s less than the person the episode focussed on).

Season totals to date:

Odyssey (return of Clark) - 17m 24s (highest screentime minutes)
    Plastique (Clark at DP) - 22m 15s (highest screentime minutes)
    Toxic (Oliver backstory) - 16m 1s (second highest to Oliver)
    Instinct (Clark & Maxima) - 22m 33s (highest)
    Committed (Lois & Clark investigate) - 19m 6s (second highest to Lois)
    Prey - (Clark investigates) - 19m 55s (highest)
    Identity (Clark/RBB) - 24m 23s (highest)
    Bloodline (Phantom Zone & Kara) - 20m 26s (highest)
    Abyss (Chloe flashbacks) - 20m 57s (second highest to Chloe)
    Bride (Wedding & Doomsday) - 19m 38s (highest)
    Legion (Superhero-centric) - 24m 21s (highest)
    Bulletproof (Clark undercover) - 22m 24s (highest)
    Power (Lana flashbacks) - 15m 2s (second highest to Lana)
    Requiem (Clark/Lana/Lex) - 23m 35s (highest)
    Infamous (Clark/RBB) - 27m 31s (highest)
    Turbulance (Clark/Tess) - 16m 6s (highest)
    Hex (Chloe-centric) - 22m 41s (second highest)
    Eternal (Davis Backstory) - 16m 1s (third behind Davis and Chloe)
    Stiletto (Lois-centric) - 18m 56s (second highest to Lois)
    Beast (Chloe/Doomsday-centric) - 12m 51s (fourth behind Chloe, Oliver AND Davis)

That's 12 out of 20 episodes where he's had the highest screentime minutes, 6 out of 20 where he's had second highest (when the episode focussed on another character), 1 out of 20 where he's been third highest and 1 out of 20 when he's been second lowest, (beating Jimmy by a mere 2m 13s)

That means one out of four of the last four episodes - Stiletto - had Clark with the second highest screentime. While three out of four of the last episodes - Hex, Eternal and Beast (which were focussed on the Chloe/Doomsday storylines) - pushed Clark from second to third to fourth in the screentime rankings respectively. A worrying trend as we approach the end of the season IMO.
    Last edited by cloisthelegendbegins; 05-02-2009, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Thanx for the stats Annie. I wouldn't worry about the last two. I think Clark will get the highest amount of screentime in both. He has to. I have always said that Turbulence has been underrated. Clark only got 16 minutes there but he wasn't supposed to get many because he would have directed Hex. It was the most balanced Clark-lite episode we have ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by tyson08
        [mod edit] Clark had to direct the next episode which means he couldn't appear in his regular 20+ minutes.
        There are ways around that. All they need to do is plan ahead and write an episode that takes place at 1 location alot. Look at Turbulence for instance. TW was supposed to direct Hex but plans changed and that was a Clark light episode sort of but they filmed like 8+ minutes on the Airplane getting his screen time over 16 for the episode. If you film a bunch of scenes in 1 location it takes less time to set up for them and you can get alot of filming done
        Last edited by Ginx; 05-02-2009, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks BadToad!

Average screentime per ep:

Season 8:
          Clark- 20m, 6s
          Chloe- 13m, 42s
          Lois- 13m, 19s
          Jimmy- 10m, 20s
          Tess- 8m, 57s
          Davis- 9m, 59s
          Oliver- 11m, 16s

Season 7:
          Clark- 16m, 41s
          Lex- 8m, 52s
          Lana- 6m, 41s
          Chloe- 8m, 51s
          Lois- 8m, 1s
          Jimmy- 8m, 28s
          Lionel- 5m, 40s
          Kara- 10m, 12s

Season 6:
          Clark- 17m, 13s
          Lex- 10m, 1s
          Lana- 11m, 50s
          Chloe- 10m, 25s
          Lois- 9m, 2s
          Jimmy- 8m, 6s
          Lionel- 5m, 44s
          Martha- 3m, 31s

Season 5:
          Clark- 19m, 57s
          Lex- 8m, 48s
          Lana- 10m, 30s
          Chloe- 9m, 2s
          Lois- 8m, 22s
          Lionel- 6m, 11s
          Martha- 6m, 36s
          Jonathan- 6m, 21s

Season 4:
          Clark- 22m, 15s
          Lex- 8m, 38s
          Lana- 9m, 8s
          Chloe- 7m, 51s
          Lois- 14m, 8s
          Jason- 5m, 58s
          Lionel- 6m, 12s
          Martha- 4m, 11s
          Jonathan- 3m, 51s

Season 3:
          Clark- 22m, 33s
          Lex- 9m, 58s
          Lana- 9m, 31s
          Chloe- 6m, 55s
          Pete- 3m, 31s
          Lionel- 7m, 22s
          Martha- 4m, 13s
          Jonathan- 5m, 37s

Season 2:
          Clark- 22m, 29s
          Lex- 9m, 3s
          Lana- 8m, 45s
          Chloe- 5m, 55s
          Pete- 4m, 37s
          Lionel- 9m, 2s
          Martha- 6m, 13s
          Jonathan- 7m, 16s

Clark would need to average 19m, 39s over the final 2 episodes to beat his Season 5 time.

Comment

Wow, I was expecting his time to be down due to his directing committments for next week, but 4th? He was only 2 minutes off being bottom.

Comment

He was almost the last this time

Kind of expected, but it's never good

Comment

You know there's a problem when the only one with less screen time than Clark is Jimmy...

Thanks BadToad and thanks Annie. I didn't realize how many episodes were not Clark-centric. I think it's the reason why the ratings for the actual season are the lowest of all seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Smallville6
                  I think she was hoping you were joking- as was I
                  That's just ridiculous- I'm a Lois fan, but I still dont want her outshining Clark. It's his show.
                  Where did I say I wanted my favorite character to outshine the main protagonist of the show? Where? Right, I don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth. Clark/TW had to direct the next episode so it should have been expected that he wouldn't have that much screentime this time around or were you and her expecting something different? Furthermore, I would disagree that show is Clark's show. Again the show isn't called Clarkville and the show has never been just about Clark. If it was the show wouldn't have lasted this long. He's the star of the show but he doesn't make the show, at least not on his own. It is a collaborative effort of him and all the other characters on the show that make the show. There are other characters on the show.

Comment

I did not expect Clarks screentime to be THAT low

Comment

Thanks for the numbers. I'm with everyone else wishing there could have been more Clark.

Comment

geez, clark still has by far he highest average screentime this season so can you please stop complaning.

Comment

TW is directing Injustice so I don't understand the surprise over him not having a lot of screen time. It's common practice and happens every single year. He needs to prep just as Allison did for Power and Michael for Freak and Tom for every other episode that he's directed for this series.

Thank you for the numbers BT.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkpen23
                            Whatever.

The show isn't called Clarkville and thank God for that. Nice to know my girl got a reasonable amount of time since she is the leading lady this season. Besides Tom had to direct the next episode so it was expected or least it should have been he wouldn't have that much screentime.
                            Are you kidding right? Clarkville should be the name of the show is HIS story

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Inkpen23
                            Where did I say I wanted my favorite character to outshine the main protagonist of the show? Where? Right, I don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth. Clark/TW had to direct the next episode so it should have been expected that he wouldn't have that much screentime this time around or were you and her expecting something different? Furthermore, I would disagree that show is Clark's show. Again the show isn't called Clarkville and the show has never been just about Clark. If it was the show wouldn't have lasted this long. He's the star of the show but he doesn't make the show, at least not on his own. It is a collaborative effort of him and all the other characters on the show that make the show. There are other characters on the show.
                            The show has lasted that long cause evrybody loves Superman and yes its because of HIM that the show is still going aand it should always been about him.
                            Last edited by LorelaiG; 05-02-2009, 08:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Actually, I wasn't surprised at Clark's screentime being down, and they actually handled it a bit better here then they did last year with Sleeper, or the year before with Static.

But I do believe that the home stretch of episodes in this season are disturbingly UN-Clark centric, and I do believe Chloe and her storyline seem to have eaten the show. I didn't care for that when Lana was in that position, and I don't care for it with Chloe. Yes, the show is about other characters then Clark, but his storyline should be most important, most prominent, and should especially be focused on as the season draws to a close. IMO, this season has failed on this bigtime. And it annoys me, and I'm allowed to express that opinion.

Comment

Not enough Clark! Just not enough Clark! What a shame!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎