This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Supsfan
    Let me guess you got it from TWOP :P

Looking back at this season I think the biggest mistake was the placement of the Lana arc, it should have been done the first 5 episodes and over with, then they could move on to the rest of the season. I am guessing thought that the producers used the first 10 episodes to try prove Lois could work and sold the CW on that and also figured they could keep the Lana fanbase interested till she comes back.
    Still blaming the Lana-arc? Right, even though those episodes got about a million more viewers than what the ratings have been lately. When in doubt, let's blame Lana!

Shelby's missing- Lana's fault!!! Martha's off in Washington- blame Lana!!! Chloe falling for Davis- damn Lana had something to do with it! Season 9 rating dipping close to 2 million- it was because Lana's name was mentioned. This use to be annoying, but it just makes me laugh.

Why are the ratings low? People are busy, the CW doesn't market the show or its network very well. Perhaps the reason is because this isn't 2001, and the teenagers and adults who use to watch back then, have more important things to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dee
      Still blaming the Lana-arc? Right, even though those episodes got about a million more viewers than what the ratings have been lately. When in doubt, let's blame Lana!
      Not as much Lana, more inconsistent storytelling. The show the first half was telling a very consistent story then all of a sudden Lana comes back and it was like a completely different show which could have ruined any positive momentium of the first half.

If Lana can back the first 5 episode they could have did her story then episode 6 on would be Clark moving on with his life. Instead we get Clark moving on with his life for the first 12 episodes, then 2 episode that completely ruined any forward momentium in his character as well as the story those first 12 episodes were telling

Comment

• Great post. I have only seen a few episodes this year on the actual day it aired. I normally watch later on itunes or the following week on The CW's website. Us aging Smallville fans have busy lives these days and 7:00/8:00 is pretty early to run home just to watch a TV show you can watch at almost any time. The ratings are getting to be a bit overrated.

And, to blame them on plot at this point is premature and kinda silly and uneducated.

Comment

Not as much Lana, more inconsistent storytelling. The show the first half was telling a very consistent story then all of a sudden Lana comes back and it was like a completely different show which could have ruined any positive momentium of the first half.
          Comparing ratings from this part of the season to the earlier part of the season is pointless.

Comment

Let me guess you got it from TWOP :P

Looking back at this season I think the biggest mistake was the placement of the Lana arc, it should have been done the first 5 episodes and over with, then they could move on to the rest of the season. I am guessing thought that the producers used the first 10 episodes to try prove Lois could work and sold the CW on that and also figured they could keep the Lana fanbase interested till she comes back.
            No. PS3 said that they had the Lana arc planned way ahead. They knew exactly when they wanted her to come back. I think the reason why they didn't write in Lana's return in the beginning was because they wanted to set a tone for the season which is Clark working at the DP, setting up his relationship with Lois and introducing the Doomsday storyline. Having Lana come back in the season premier would take away the attention from that. And Lana returning also set up to delay, stall the Clois this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Superfreakon
              Great post. I have only seen a few episodes this year on the actual day it aired. I normally watch later on itunes or the following week on The CW's website. Us aging Smallville fans have busy lives these days and 7:00/8:00 is pretty early to run home just to watch a TV show you can watch at almost any time. The ratings are getting to be a bit overrated.
              Truer words just can't be said. Next season (i.e. my next semester) will be my busiest. I have a class on Thursdays from 6-650pm. Which by the time I'm done packing up my stuff, getting my ride situated, and finally get home - I'll have missed half of the episode. I never thought there'd be a day when my schedule would catch up with my Smallville habits, but it finally has - and now I'm going to have to rely on the VHS (because I don't have TiVo/DVR yet) and/or CW's website that takes a lot longer to update than I'd like. I think this is the summer I buy a DVR. I don't like having to wait to see my favorite show. Luckily, I'm not a Nielsen family, so I don't have to worry about my delayed viewing to negatively affect the show, but still... I want to see the show live whenever possible, and this is the last season, I can't believe I won't be able to see it unfold in real-time!

...That being said - I want Smallville to have stellar ratings next season. I want it to end with a bang - show the history books that this little engine that could was loved by millions of viewers and deserved more attention than it ever got.

I know that's probably not going to happen - but I would love to see Smallville reach 5 million viewers again. Actually the perfect scenario is that the show's last episode gets the same numbers as it's premiere - come full circle and really end with a bang. It will be the saddest and probably proudest moment for me... and even if the ratings don't reflect such greatness, should scheduling work out like it did this year, the finale will be during finals week, and I will be able to watch. I don't know what I'm going to do that final day! It really will be a sad day for me... I get misty-eyed just thinking about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kid Collins
                No. PS3 said that they had the Lana arc planned way ahead. They knew exactly when they wanted her to come back. I think the reason why they didn't write in Lana's return in the beginning was because they wanted to set a tone for the season which is Clark working at the DP, setting up his relationship with Lois and introducing the Doomsday storyline. Having Lana come back in the season premier would take away the attention from that. And Lana returning also set up to delay, stall the Clois this season.
                I personally think the Lana arc would have made more sense though at the beginning of the season, then were it was placed. As some other point out the 2nd half has been very inconsistent in terms of storytelling and it goes beyond Lana. They probably had a few different reasons(actor schedules, trying to get a season 9 without KK, etc) to place the Lana storyline where they did, but it was completely out of place

The first 12 episode were very consistent in terms of storytelling(and Clark being the main focus as well) but then we get 2 Lana centric episodes, Lois/Clark episode, Davis episode, Chloe as Lois episode, Davis episode, Lois episode, Chlavis episode. Keeping a consistent story going will probably keep viewers more attached to the show

Comment

I personally think the Lana arc would have made more sense though at the beginning of the season, then were it was placed. As some other point out the 2nd half has been very inconsistent in terms of storytelling and it goes beyond Lana. They probably had a few different reasons(actor schedules, trying to get a season 9 without KK, etc) to place the Lana storyline where they did, but it was completely out of place

The first 12 episode were very consistent in terms of storytelling(and Clark being the main focus as well) but then we get 2 Lana centric episodes, Lois/Clark episode, Davis episode, Chloe as Lois episode, Davis episode, Lois episode, Chlavis episode. Keeping a consistent story going will probably keep viewers more attached to the show
                  Totally Agree

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎