This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wingster55
    Thanks BadToad and AgentChaos.
    not really surprising that Chloe and Lois' average screentime are similiar. Chloe was hardly in the last three Lana episodes.
    Chloe's screen time was low (I think it was due to AM directing Power), but Lois' screen time 0 in those episodes. I think that, if we count the episodes Lois is not in to do the average, her screen time will be reduced in half.

Comment

Originally posted by wingster55
      Thanks BadToad and AgentChaos.
      not really surprising that Chloe and Lois' average screentime are similiar. Chloe was hardly in the last three Lana episodes.
      Thanks to Bad Toads numbers I can tell you Bulletproof was her lowest at 2m 35s - but that will have been due to the fact she was preparing to direct Power.

In Power she had 8m 17s and in Requiem 10m 19s.

Which balances out when compared to:

Abyss - 29m 46s (highest screentime and 9m 11s more than Clark)
      Hex - 26m 57s (highest screentime and 4m 16s more than Clark even though ED played Chloe for 17m 7s)
      and
      Eternal - 16m 14s (second highest screentime behind Davis)

Her season totals by episode to date:

Odyssey - 10m 18s
      Plastique - 17m 36s
      Toxic - 9m 55s
      Instinct - 11m 10s
      Committed - 16m 44s
      Prey - 14m 39s
      Identity - 5m 31s
      Bloodline -9m 33s
      Abyss - 29m 46s
      Bride - 13m 7s
      Legion - 13m 35s
      Bulletproof - 2m 35s
      Power - 8m 17s
      Requiem - 10m 19s
      Infamous - 12m 11s
      Turbulence - 13m 18s
      Hex - 26m 57s
      Eternal - 16m 14s
      Stiletto - 11m 57s

----- Added 15 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Bizarrolover
      Chloe's screen time was low (I think it was due to AM directing Power), but Lois' screen time 0 in those episodes. I think that, if we count the episodes Lois is not in to do the average, her screen time will be reduced in half.
      Okay, let's look at Lois screentime.

Her lowest screentime was in Hex - 4m 20s

Highest sceentime:

Committed- 21m 52s (highest screentime and 2m 46s more than Clark)
      Stiletto - 22m 48s (highest screentime and 3m 52s more than Clark)

Her season totals by episode to date:

Odyssey - 6m 45s
      Plastique - 9m 33s
      Toxic - 9m 30s
      Instinct - 8m 26s
      Committed - 21m 52s
      Prey - 0m 0s
      Identity - 13m 20s
      Bloodline -10m 25s (Lois time only)
      Abyss - 0m 0s
      Bride - 16m 4s
      Legion - 0m 0s
      Bulletproof - 0m 0s
      Power - 0m 0s
      Requiem - 0m 0s
      Infamous - 14m 41s
      Turbulence - 0m 0s
      Hex - 4m 20s (Lois time only)
      Eternal - 0m 0s
      Stiletto - 22m 48s
      Last edited by cloisthelegendbegins; 04-26-2009, 08:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Thank you BadToad and Agent Chaos. Much appreciated as always.

Originally posted by cloisthelegendbegins
        What it once again comes down to with me, as it so often does, is the STORY.
        Thank you for those excellent analysis, Annie. And WORD to this. ^^

There’re two episodes in this season that I so wish Clark had zero screen time in it…..(you’ve probably heard of this from someone else before..… haha.) So for me, it’s not the screen time that counts the most but how he’s written in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarrolover
          Normally I don't count episodes in which a character does not appear when I do the averages because that wouldn't be fair to penalize them for a non-appearance.

Here are the highest and lowest screentimes for each character this season:

Clark:
          Infamous- 27m, 31s
          Power- 15m, 2s

Chloe:
          Abyss- 29m, 46s
          Bulletproof- 2m, 35s

Lois:
          Stiletto- 22m, 48s
          Hex- 4m, 20s

Jimmy:
          Turbulence- 15m, 50s
          Odyssey- 1m, 59s

Tess:
          Toxic- 15m, 22s
          Identity- 4m, 29s

Davis:
          Eternal- 22m, 42s
          Legion- 3m, 39s

Oliver:
          Toxic- 24m, 49s
          Bloodline- 5m, 26s

Average screentime per ep minus high and low screentimes:

Clark- 20m, 26s
          Chloe- 13m, 1s
          Lois- 13m, 16s
          Jimmy- 10m, 48s
          Tess- 7m, 12s
          Davis- 8m, 33s
          Oliver- 9m, 21s

Average screentime counting all eps:

Clark- 20m, 29s
          Chloe- 13m, 21s
          Lois- 7m, 43s
          Jimmy- 4m, 53s
          Tess- 5m, 11s
          Davis- 4m, 57s
          Oliver- 5m, 2s

Average screentime per ep for Clark to surpass his previous seasons totals (Season 2 numbers through 2-22 Calling):

Season 5: 17m, 23s
          Season 4: 30m, 32s
          Season 3: 33m, 52s
          Season 2: 36m, 7s

Comment

Originally posted by AgentChaos
            Normally I don't count episodes in which a character does not appear when I do the averages because that wouldn't be fair to penalize them for a non-appearance.

I imagined that was the case. Thanks for the information!

Comment

Thanks badtoad. I didn´t like the figures at all. Anyway, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                Thanks BadToad. That was my one issue: Clark's screentime total. Normally i wouldn't have minded, but this is right before Beast which is expected to be Clark-lite and it is a annoying. It did advance the Clois relationship but it wasn't Clark-centric. I think we haven't had a Clark-centric episode since Infamous.
                I must be the only person on Ksite that doesn't mind Clark having lower ST. It's an ensemble show.

Thanks BadToad!! I am glad Lois got HIGH ST this ep, but I'm sad the ratings weren't good...I hope producers don't take that into account when planning next season for her character. I'm a little bummed Lois got more ST in her first season than in S8.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbrenton
                  I must be the only person on Ksite that doesn't mind Clark having lower ST. It's an ensemble show.

Thanks BadToad!! I am glad Lois got HIGH ST this ep, but I'm sad the ratings weren't good...I hope producers don't take that into account when planning next season for her character. I'm a little bummed Lois got more ST in her first season than in S8.
                  Nah, don't worry about David. It seems like on this occasion i was in the minority. Not you. It's ok though. I hope everyone feels the same next week because things will get worse.

Comment

Nah, don't worry about David. It seems like on this occasion i was in the minority. Not you. It's ok though. I hope everyone feels the same next week because things will get worse.
                    What do you mean ? Clark won't be a lot in "Beast" ? I hope not. I can be okay for once, for Stiletto because to me, Clark was "everywhere" even when we don't see him but that is all. I won't stand an episode when he is AGAIN a guest star. I watch this show for him, I want it to be clear

Comment

It will be interesting to see the reaction then...especially since it's a dark episode. --It might be too heavy without much Tom.

Comment

And I think the show works better as a show that remembers that Clark is the central character, and then treats the rest of its cast as an ensemble. I think applying some sort of "everyone is equal" philosophy to SV has actually worked to its detriment, not benefit. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Tompouce
                          What do you mean ? Clark won't be a lot in "Beast" ? I hope not. I can be okay for once, for Stiletto because to me, Clark was "everywhere" even when we don't see him but that is all. I won't stand an episode when he is AGAIN a guest star. I watch this show for him, I want it to be clear
                          I know you do Karine. since he directs Injustice, there is a good chance he might not appear a lot. But then again we thought the same about Turbulence and it turned out better. I don't see him going beyond 16-18 minutes in Beast IMO.

Comment

Thanks for the numbers, BadToad.

As far as Clark not having the most ST in this episode, when looking at the entire season, Clark still has the most ST by far. That's what matters most to me. IMO, TPTB are not failing when it comes to Clark's ST, they are failing when it comes to what they use that ST for. If Clark isn't being given enough of a storyline that is his own throughout the season, that's where the failure comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by myankskent

IMO, TPTB are not failing when it comes to Clark's ST, they are failing when it comes to what they use that ST for. If Clark isn't being given enough of a storyline that is his own throughout the season, that's where the failure comes in.
                              ITA Matt. It's a shame they haven't shown him becoming an actual reporter who writes his own bylines. I was very disappointed after all he went through in this episode and he still didn't write a single thing about it. This is precisely why I've been suggesting that next season, Clark has to be fired if he dies in battle against Doomsday (due to a months-long absence) or has to quit if he gets into a serious spat with Tess (or better yet due to his own realization that he needs to be away from Lois to develop as a reporter) so he could work for another newspaper like the Metropolis Journal (1st mentioned in Drone by Carrie Castle), where he can actually develop as a reporter. Clark has never in any form of media developed his career while working with Lois. He had always been shown being an established reporter by the time he joined the Daily Planet.

They need to have him work at the MJ with Perry as his editor & mentor and have his stories & Perry's role in them get the 2 of them (Clark & Perry) back to the Daily Planet towards the end of the series. This is not to say that Clark & Lois can't cross paths while investigating every now and then, but not on a constant basis. This will allow Clark & Lois to independently have their own storylines like Clark & Chloe did in season 3, giving Lois a reason to be there in all 22 episodes and have Lois be the classic Lois Lane who gets into the thick of the action by herself---not holding Clark's hand, which is something that she doesn't need, let alone Clark who definitely doesn't need it. After all, Clark has been doing a more unofficial form of investigations way longer than Lois has--since season 1. And Perry did say his writing technique wasn't bad but could be polished.

This would also allow them to fix Jimmy by having him be a freelance photographer who can work for both the Daily Planet & the Metropolis Journal, getting more screentime & being built up as both Lois' & Clark's photographer.

As I said so many times, when they write a plot that allows Clark to shine like he should, it not only promotes him but the characters around him. Every time I've mentioned this, I was proven right.
                              Last edited by xrayvision; 04-27-2009, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by myankskent

As far as Clark not having the most ST in this episode, when looking at the entire season, Clark still has the most ST by far. That's what matters most to me. IMO, TPTB are not failing when it comes to Clark's ST, they are failing when it comes to what they use that ST for. If Clark isn't being given enough of a storyline that is his own throughout the season, that's where the failure comes in.
                                ITA Matt. My gripe was simple. I wanted to see more of him knowing what's coming up next week. Nothing about the season as whole.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎