Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of Jump the Shark?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an example of Kripke's intelligence. He knew fans would hate the idea of having a third brother, but with us seeing that a ghoul instead killed their actual brother, the fans, including I, got a bit sad and started to wonder how it would've been if Dean and Sam actually met the real Adam.

This, so far, has been the real only episode that makes you think wether it was a good episode or bad. It was called "Jump the Shark" for a reason because you had to really think about this episode. And for the most of it, I wouldn't say they "jumped" the "shark", but only made fun of the shark, and the episode itself for having a "Cousin Oliver"-like episode.

But, the real Adam is dead, and the Winchester duo know now that their dad wasn't a "monk" and didn't keep it in his pants, and for that, you could tell that Dean was a little hurt over it at the end.

But, still, this shows how strong Supernatural, as a series, is. Such after an "okay" episode, and this series is still amazing and hasn't felt like it "jumped the shark" at all. It worked well within Sam's arc.
    Last edited by Call_Me_Ishmael; 04-24-2009, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I give it an 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Call_Me_Ishmael
        This is an example of Kripke's intelligence. He knew fans would hate the idea of having a third brother, but with us seeing that a ghoul instead killed their actual brother, the fans, including I, got a bit sad and started to wonder how it would've been if Dean and Sam actually met the real Adam.

This, so far, has been the real only episode that makes you think wether it was a good episode or bad. It was called "Jump the Shark" for a reason because you had to really think about this episode. And for the most of it, I wouldn't say they "jumped" the "shark", but only made fun of the shark, and the episode itself for having a "Cousin Oliver"-like episode.
        I agree with these points.

Even though the real Adam is dead, it opens up more conflict in the future because Sam and Dean will think about the "innocent and normal" brother they never got a chance to meet. Plus, any reflections on the life their dad led will be altered because of his secret life. For example, Dean can't always say "Well, Dad use to do this...." Now Dean will be saying "Well, who knows what else Dad use to do."

Comment

I gave it a 9. I actually liked the Adam character and the episode as a whole.

Comment

10! loved but a little (actually, very very very dissapointed) dissapointed adam died.

Comment

I just watched it again. It makes me feel so bad for Sam and Dean that Adam lived the life that they wanted and you could see that pain on Dean's face when he looked at the image of Papa winchester and Adam fishing. I think I liked it more the 2nd time around. I still don't like the idea of another brother but it doesn't bother me much at all. But regardless no matter what kind of life you live, if you are a Winchester, it will always end badly.

Comment

i think "jump the shark" could have meant several things. maybe it was also titled this way as kripke's way of saying this is "the" jump the shark episode. as most of us know after such an episode airs there's usually at least one or two seasons left after such an episode. kripke did say in the past that he only saw the show lasting for 5 seasons. that he had a full story to tell and end within 5 seasons.

Comment

10/10

Awesome.

Comment

LOVED it!

Comment

I got mixed reviews about this Jump the Shark, I see what Kripke wanted to show that
                      even John Winchester wanted a normal life, by the way he was raising his third son
                      (his second chance you might say ), and that Dean still respects and believes in his
                      father's decisions. But I don't think that adding another brother to the show was a
                      good idea, but Kripke didn't go there (thank god). It still would have been nice to see
                      Bobby again (when Dean mention to go to him ).

But then again it was nice to get away from all the Angels vs Demons battle, and just
                      go back to the old Sam and Dean father issues . So i think an 8 would work for me.

Wonder what Dean said To Sam at the end if it was a complement or not.

Comment

meh

-6-

wasnt that good, good at times, but meh

Comment

I have to admit i wasn't exactly looking forward to this episode. I knew, from the spoilers, that Adam wasn't staying so there was that. But mostly I figured it was going to be kinda boring.

It was actually better than I expected but the final reveal that Adam was a Winchester? That almost was a Jump the Shark moment! Oh wow, you introduced a character, did the "is he or isn't he?" and then went "he is" and the guy is dead. The hell?

OK, back to the start. It was pretty cool to see JDM in the "Then" flashbacks.

Sam brushing his teeth against the Impala (but what happened to his pink tooth brush from Mystery Spot LOL)? Is it weird that I found that sexy? (not the spitting though. I hate watching people spit!) It also made me think "so the anti-Christ is pretty concerned about Dental Hygiene". :P )

Dean sleeping in that strange position and then falling out of the car. Desperate for food and all. So Dean!

Oh and did anyone else wonder if Dean bonking his head was scripted or if that was Jensen and they just left it in?

When the phone rang I was all "That's Papa Winchester's phone!" And it was. First of all, they've been keeping it charged? And secondly, who's been paying the bill for it? :-)

The whole scene in the diner (cousin Oliver--a little too cute there, Kripke!) was terrific. Dean and the holy water and the cutlery (Dean stole silver silverware from somewhere and carries it around?!) and how adamant he was that Adam was something else.

Sam talking about their Dad (and how exactly does Sam know their Dad "wasn't exactly a monk"?) and Dean's "Well, now I'm thinking about Dad-sex. Stop talking."

The pics at the house of Papa Winchester. Honestly, most of them looked photoshopped. I was looking at them and thinking "I know people who could make those look far more realistic."

Rock, paper, scissors to see who goes down there! And Dean "always with the scissors"! (I realized that Sam controls whether he wins or loses. If he wants to win he just uses "rock"--which beats scissors, and if he wants to lose he uses paper--which loses to scissors.)

Adam finally figuring out they are not what they said they were "you're not mechanics"--duh!

"Godzilla's just a movie." Reminded me of that line from The Benders where Dean was all talking to that kid and said about Sam "he likes the remake." Ha.

And it occured to me that with Adam now the youngest Winchester that makes Sam the middle child. Oh Jan!

And Sam's "I know what Dean said. And I know what it's like to want revenge." Made me wonder...was he talking about Jess or about Dean going to Hell?

Dean at the crypt.
                          "Have you thought about where you'd like to spend eternity?"
                          "All the damn time."
                          And passing himself off as Agent Nugent? Cute callback all the way to the Pilot. Remember how Dean was arrested and gave the name "Nugent. Ted Nugent." I love the continuity! Smallville could learn a thing or two from this show!

The reveal that Papa Winchester helped the deputy and that was why the creatures were killing was pretty cool.

Hey, did anyone else think that Adam's jacket looked a lot like teen!Sam's? Maybe it's just me.

And did anyone else, when Sam was all talking about staying and everything say "so Sam wants to use the kid as bait?" only to have Dean say a moment later "you want to use the kid as bait?" Cause I did.

Sam training Adam=ironic. I mean, Sam always said how much he hated training and how they were raised (more on that in a bit).

The laying down of the rock salt (which we haven't seen in a while!) was great, then, of course the reveal that Adam wasn't human. (anyone else go "duh!" Anyone?)

And where the hell were Sam's demon powers when he needed them? Why not just fling these people aside with his TK or something?! Argh.

Ghouls. That's new.

What was with the bloodletting into the bowls? I mean, they were going to eat him, right? So why not leave the blood inside (though I did like how they said Sam's blood tasted different. It should be sulfuric though and taste rotten to ghouls, I would think.)? Why drain him first?

And then Dean whaling on "Adam" while Sam slowly bleeds to death! WTF? Dean could have acted a little more concerned in that scene too, when he's wrapping Sam's wrists up.

OK, so when Sam was all "we could get him back", my first thought was "another deal?!" But then "We could get a hold of Cas, call in a favor." My first thought was this: "is everyone calling him Cas now?" Made me smile actually. So much for respect for the "angel of the Lord". Welcome to the human world of nicknames, Cas! Hee.

And that scene at the end where Dean admits "you are more like him than I'll ever be." "I'll take that as a compliment." "Take it however you want."
                          Anyone else sigh and think "Please, Dean's smarter than that! He knows that." *rolls eyes* Why do the writer's persist on making Dean look stupid?

One thing I am getting real tired of is the whole "Sam as Dean, Dean as Sam" thing. Yes, we get it--Sam has embraced hunting and Dean wants out. Sam wants to kill everything he can and Dean just wants some peace. Etc, etc. Enough already. (what is it with Kripke and the use of the hammer?!)

Also the whole idea that John was a "true father" to Adam and all while being a jerk to Dean and Sam? That doesn't fly with me. And also, that he would even have a kid with someone other than Mary, that doesn't work for me either. When Mary died she practically ascended to sainthood for the Winchester men. I mean, John was killing in her name, almost. Dean saw her that way too (Sam not so much because he barely knew her). ANd while I could see that John would occassionally take comfort with another woman to "slake his needs", as it were, I can't see him becoming attached. And while "one might have slipped past the goalie" by accident I also can't see the hard-as-nails--obsessed-with-revenge Papa Winchester being a cool Dad. I just...can't. I mean, he's the one who said that hunt became everything to him, even to the point where he sacrificed Sam's future.

And now suddenly we have this kid that he took to ballgames? I swear I am so sick of the writers making the characters suddenly so OOC this year! *growls*

So I guess this episode had some good moments and it was nice to kind of revisit the past and all--and always nice to include JDM in any way--but mostly the "fake brother" storyline that turned to "real brother"? What was the point again? Was it that every Winchester Man dies a horrible death?

So yeah, better than I thought (I actually thought it would be Ghostfacers bad) but still...

Comment

Ghouls just came off as meanies.
                            Like they were all disturbing in how ghoulish they were. Which was their job. To be like that.

Their dad may have used the secret kid as a release valve for all the unspeakable pressure a hunter is under---his visits were an escape into normal reality that was precious to him for selfish reasons. For his day-to-day sons he couldn't afford the luxury of being the good guy dad because daily parenting is more warlike and involves disciplinary action so any dad's Q rating plummets when he's always around.
                            Last edited by InactiveUserID; 04-29-2009, 11:55 AM. Reason: The Glory of Possessing Others Completely

Comment

10/10. Loved this episode. But i hate how Adam died and how he was a ghoul the whole time.

Comment

I loved it, it was even better than i thought it would be.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎