Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mrs. Superman
    WRONG. Season 7 is not ranked higher than Season 8.

I hadn't looked at the exact numbers when I first stated "since season 3 or 4", but what I should have said was that smallvilles numbers have gone down SINCE SEASON 5. Averages skew easily, which is why MEDIANS are much more important as an accurate gauge of the season than averages. Take one stats class and they'll all tell you why medians are more important than averages in these circumstances. One or two numbers can throw off the whole average whereas medians give you the 50% percentile.This is why they have you look at MEDIAN salaries, if you want to get a better estimate of what you'll be making in that job (50% make more 50% make less). So looking at the median here's how the seasons play out.
    I don't agree about using median instead of average. EVERY episode's ratings count! Why should the highest and lowest rating be discounted? Are we grading on a curve now?

Do you think that this forum would ignore it if SV got a 10 million rating? Even though it's highly unusual. Hell NO!

Anyway, the SV's ratings already fall within a range. It's not like SV's ratings go from 10 million to 1 million. The rating have been nothing higher than 5 and some million and nothing lower than 3 million.

SO if the average is taken S7 (4.17) still beats S8 (4.00) so far.

AND you also have to take into account that hiatus lowers the ratings for any show. AND SV got hit hard last season because of the writer's strike. The break for the last arc was a lot longer than usual.
    Last edited by Kid Collins; 04-28-2009, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kid Collins
      I don't agree about using median instead of average. EVERY episode's ratings count! Why should the highest and lowest rating be discounted? Are we grading on a curve now?

Do you think that this forum would ignore it if SV got a 10 million rating? Even though it's highly unusual. Hell NO!

Anyway, the SV's ratings already fall within a range. It's not like SV's ratings go from 10 million to 1 million. The rating have been nothing higher than 5 and some million and nothing lower than 3 million.

SO if the average is taken S7 (4.17) still beats S8 (4.00) so far.

AND you also have to take into account that hiatus lowers the ratings for any show. AND SV got hit hard last season because of the writer's strike. The break for the last arc was a lot longer than usual.
      Ok, so lets make excuses for last season but ignore that 11 shows, the same night Smallville was on, hit season/series lows. Not really consistent if you ask me. Looking at outside factors, youd have to account for EVERYTHING.

Back on point, if you are gauging the success of the season (through ratings), the median is just as accurate and it disproves your assertion--that season 7 did better than season 8. In fact I believe the median to be more accurate in this situation due to the fact that certain numbers are skewed/abnormal for the season (3.1 and the 5.18). That doesnt mean that these episodes don't matter (they still come into play with the median). But if you are looking at the overall season and how it performed, then you are looking for how the season performed typically on any given Thursday not the Thursday it had its highest ratings on. If one episode got 10 million, of course we'd all take notice, but if every other episode was in the 2 million range I'd hardly count that the most successful season there is. If you have one episode that does really well, but the other episodes are no where near that one, then the averages are skewed. And once again, like I said, if we are judging each season, we want to judge it by what the episodes typically got on a given week. If youd like to read further why IMO medians are more accurate in these situations you can follow these links.

One problem with using the mean, is that it often does not depict the typical outcome. If there is one outcome that is very far from the rest of the data, then the mean will be strongly affected by this outcome. Such an outcome is called and outlier. An alternative measure is the median. The median is the middle score. If we have an even number of events we take the average of the two middles. The median is better for describing the typical value. It is often used for income and home price

Why is the median better than the mean for measuring "typical" values? The best way to understand what is wrong with the mean is to look at how both behave in answering a simple question: how well have Stephon Marbury's Lincoln High School basketball teammates done in their careers in the last 10 years?

The median is not significantly changed by this one "outlier", while the mean becomes a wage that no one earns: it is 2000X too high for 9 of the teammates, and 10X too low Stephon.
      Like standard deviation, mean is very sensitive to the most abnormal of values, particularly very high values. Why would one use a measure for what people "typically" earn, that is so strongly affected by atypical salaries?

The median is primarily used for skewed distributions, which it summarizes differently than the arithmetic mean. Consider the multiset { 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 9 }. The median is 2 in this case, as is the mode, and it might be seen as a better indication of central tendency than the arithmetic mean of 3.166.
      Calculation of medians is a popular technique in summary statistics and summarizing statistical data, since it is simple to understand and easy to calculate, while also giving a measure that is more robust in the presence of outlier values than is the mean.

If you want to be more accurate, when it comes to looking at which season did better ratings wise, the median gives a better typical value for that season. If you want to manipulate stats in a way that benefits your point, than go ahead and use only the stats that back your point up while ignoring ones that discount it. That doesn't make it a correct assertion. In the end both the median and the mean are very similar for season 7 and season 8. There does not appear to be a significant drop off from the previous season to this one, whereas from season 5 to 6 and 6 to 7 there was. What is my point?

First, season 7 is not ranked higher than season 8--that is still up for debate, not just bc the median proves otherwise, but also because we have yet to see the last three ratings. And second, there has been a drop off in seasons prior to this one that was NOT due to ppl leaving. So saying that this season is lower in ratings (which actually is slightly higher using the median, slightly lower using the mean, and about even taking both stats into consideration) due to certain ppl leaving is not backed up by the trends of the last few seasons, rating wise--nor by the way this season has been performing. There has been a decline the last few seasons but this season has been at the very least on par with the season prior to it.

The best we can do is take both the median and mean into consideration and realize that the distinction isnt great enough to put one over the other. Season 5->6 yes, Season 6->7 yes, but not for Season 7->8.

Using means, this above stands:

Season 5 (5.32) -> Season 6 (4.52) = -0.80
      Season 6 (4.52) -> Season 7 (4.15) = -0.37
      Season 7 (4.15) -> Season 8 (3.98**) = -0.17 *in progress (finale should bump avg)

Using medians, similar findings.

Season 5 (5.41) - Season 6 (4.70) = -0.71
      Season 6 (4.70) - Season 7 (3.93) = -0.77
      Season 7 (3.93) - Season 8 (4.12**) = +0.19 *in progress

Biggest drop from Season 5 to Season 6, smallest drop/biggest gain for these seasons, season 7 to season 8.

My personal opinion? This is an aging show. It's about to enter its NINTH SEASON, of course it wont bring in the numbers it did in its hey day. And yes I believe that Lex and Lana took some fans with them when they left, but this season has brought in new fans as well. Enough so there is no significant drop off between last season and this one.

Comment

• Wow, thanks Sasha but now I remember why I hate math.

Comment

• The next few epps show really boost season 8 numbers.

Comment

• Wow, Mrs. Superman, thanks for all of that info! That was really interesting.

----- Added 37 Seconds later -----

Originally posted by jpfort1957
            The next few epps show really boost season 8 numbers.
            I really hope so!
            Last edited by ClarkyBoy14; 04-29-2009, 08:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Originally posted by kimmiss
              Wow, thanks Sasha but now I remember why I hate math.
              Originally posted by ClarkyBoy14
              Wow, Mrs. Superman, thanks for all of that info! That was really interesting.
              Your welcome Kim and Andrew.

It was more computing than Id like to do in my posts, but I had to take it there to demonstrate my point.

Comment

• One thing that hurts the ratings is that the CW will not promotion SV like the WB did. The only time I see a promotion is on the CW it's self. Come on CW get off your dead **s and get the word out there and help this show! Forget GG and all that nonsense about it a being a big hit. SV and SN are your bread and butter.

Take Care,

Jack

Comment

• ^^Agreed

Comment

• No Live+7's yet? What the hell!

Comment

• Originally posted by tyson08
                      No Live+7's yet? What the hell!
                      I say the same

Comment

• What day of the week are they usually released on?

Comment

• Check

Comment

• Still no Live+7's? What the hell!?

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡