View Poll Results: Do you wish Lois had called Clark ‘Smallville’ throughout the series?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    13 59.09%
  • No

    7 31.82%
  • Other (please specify)

    2 9.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Posting Pro bigblueplanet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    s.w.France
    Posts
    1,468

    Does anyone wish that Lois had called Clark by the nickname of "Smallville"?

    I know, this nickname was created in S:TAS for the first time but anyone here wish THLois had called Clark ‘Smallville’ in the LnC series as well?

    One of the thing I like about Lois is that she never stop calling Clark ‘Smallville’ even after she discovers his secret. I mean WHO call Superman, ‘small’? LOL

    I read somewhere else that some LnC fans didn’t like about having them call each other ‘Honey’ rather too often after Lois and Clark got together. Personally I think it would have been great if THLois called him ‘Smallville’, both pre & post marriage. And I, for one, want any future version of Lois would call him by this nickname, too!


    ETA: Erica’s Lois keep saying “I should stop calling you Smallville”, every time she finds out Clark is super, but we all know she’ll never stop calling him that, right?

  2. #2
    Whedon Worshipper Hopefulsuicide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    England
    Posts
    7,472
    I swear she did call him Smallville once in the Pilot... but maybe i'm wrong... I can hear it though... hmmm i may have to watch it and see

  3. #3
    Posting Pro bigblueplanet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    s.w.France
    Posts
    1,468
    Actually, Lois never called him ‘Smallville’ in the LnC series. But she did say, “He's from Smallville, I could not make that name up” to Perry and “Hack from Nowheresville” to Clark in the Pilot. LOL

    Here is a very well thought out analyse of the usage of the nickname by zoom.

    The nickname "Smallville" began on the animated series in part 2 of the first episode Last Son of Krypton in 1996.

    ■ First use in print was Superman Adventures 2 – December 1996 – Scott McCloud/Rick Burchett – Based on the animated series, which debuted September 1996 – written by Alan Burnett/Paul Dini

    ■ First comic book not based on the Animated Series was in Superman for All Seasons – Book 1 – Spring – December 1998 – Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale

    ■ First use in continuity was in Superman #151 – December 1999 – Jeph Loeb/Mike McKone

    The only time it's been used on a live action show has been, appropriately enough, on Smallville when Lois Lane joined the cast in 2004. In the episode Gone she walked into the bathroom to brush her hair while Clark was taking a shower and he protested. She replied, "Don't start with me, Smallville, I'm not the one taking the marathon shower."
    (quoted from: http://tomfoss.blogspot.com/2008/07/...mallville.html)
    Last edited by bigblueplanet; 04-11-2009 at 07:37 AM.

  4. #4
    avi by: Queenrocks77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 07
    Location
    LLC.... MO
    Posts
    20,381
    No. And certainly not after they were married.
    In the begining Lois was always competing with everyone, especially with Clark. She wanted him to fail and go back to Nowheresville. (Top banana) but when they started to fall in love and become a great team all of the competition went out the window.
    So maybe THLois calling him smallville in the begining would be ok, but not for the whole run of the show.
    And the only reason it still works on Smallville is because They're relationship is still in LnC season 1 phase .

  5. #5
    Whedon Worshipper Hopefulsuicide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    England
    Posts
    7,472
    It was 'don't fall for me farmboy, i don't have time for it' that I was hearing in my head... though 'Smallville' would have fitted perfectly in there

  6. #6
    Posting Pro bigblueplanet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    s.w.France
    Posts
    1,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenrocks77 View Post
    No. And certainly not after they were married.
    In the begining Lois was always competing with everyone, especially with Clark. She wanted him to fail and go back to Nowheresville. (Top banana) but when they started to fall in love and become a great team all of the competition went out the window.
    So maybe THLois calling him smallville in the begining would be ok, but not for the whole run of the show.
    And the only reason it still works on Smallville is because They're relationship is still in LnC season 1 phase .
    But Joe, you do know that Lois in the comics still calls Clark ‘Smallville’ even after the marriage, right?

    You know what I love about this nickname? When she starts calling him by this nickname, it was pretty clear that she downgrades Clark and it was used as the part of her dismissive attitude towards him. But then, as they grow more closer to each other and becomes good friends and partners, calling him Smallville for her turns out to be something more intimate, imo. It’s also something unique between them b/c no one else call him by this nickname and Lois never calls anyone else by the original nickname either.

    It also shows in SV that Clark doesn’t mind her calling him Smallville. I’m pretty sure he even likes it. Everyone except his parents treats him like someone ‘super’ and while he IS super, I think he desperately needs someone who treats him like a regular guy even they know who he really is. And that’s Lois.

    I never see this nickname as Lois looking down on him or/and making fool of him while I have no doubt it was her intension in the very beginning. LOL But I believe it grows slowly but fondly on both Lois and Clark as a little-something-special thing between them. At least this is how I see. YMMV.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopefulsuicide View Post
    It was 'don't fall for me farmboy, i don't have time for it' that I was hearing in my head... though 'Smallville' would have fitted perfectly in there
    Yep. She did. And according to zoom, she also called him ‘Lunkhead’ but I don’t remember when she said that.

  7. #7
    avi by: Queenrocks77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 07
    Location
    LLC.... MO
    Posts
    20,381

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblueplanet View Post
    But Joe, you do know that Lois in the comics still calls Clark ‘Smallville’ even after the marriage, right?
    I didn't know that.

    I've been thinking about this all day, because I don't have a life, and I think it's because she never called him smallville on LnC. I don't mind it when EDLois calls Clark smallville because I'm use to it. I guess it's because I can't picture THLois saying it because I've never heard her say it.
    I'm not sure if I actually said anything just now. I hope it makes sense.

  8. #8
    Posting Pro Isabel14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Posts
    1,890
    Yeah, it would have added humour to the show..

  9. #9
    Posting Pro bigblueplanet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    s.w.France
    Posts
    1,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenrocks77 View Post
    I didn't know that.

    I've been thinking about this all day, because I don't have a life, and I think it's because she never called him smallville on LnC. I don't mind it when EDLois calls Clark smallville because I'm use to it. I guess it's because I can't picture THLois saying it because I've never heard her say it.
    I'm not sure if I actually said anything just now. I hope it makes sense.
    Yes, you totally made sense, Joe. Yesterday I was re-watching LnC (again), and tried to picture myself that THLois called him ‘Smallville’ and to be honest, it was kinda strange actually. But then again, maybe it could’ve been cute and funny too, who knows? LOL

    Btw, S:TAS Lois often called him ‘Kent’. But me, I’d take ‘Smallville’ over ‘Kent’ any day of the week.

    ETA: Glad I could provide you a puzzle thought of the day. LOL
    Don’t you love how we can talk about these tiny things all day and makes a huge discussion out of it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Isabel14 View Post
    Yeah, it would have added humour to the show..
    Yep, I think so too. You know why I called it ‘missed opportunity’? If THLois called Clark ‘Smallville’, she would have been the first Lois who ever called him by this nickname both pre & post marriage and it could really prove us that this nickname is something she attaches to very fondly and not just her mean to make a fool of Clark.

    DDLois never got together with her Clark and I guess nor would EDLois in SV. The comic Lois was never calling him ‘Smallville’ before 1999 and was already married to him when she first used the nickname. You see? We might never see any Lois who calls him 'Smallville' before & after she got together with Clark…..in other words, before & after she loves Clark.

    But geez! There’re many people who voted for ‘No’ (if I can call 3 people ‘many’ LOL), I didn’t see it coming!
    Last edited by bigblueplanet; 04-12-2009 at 09:31 AM.

  10. #10
    avi by: Queenrocks77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 07
    Location
    LLC.... MO
    Posts
    20,381

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblueplanet View Post
    Yes, you totally made sense, Joe. Yesterday I was re-watching LnC (again), and tried to picture myself that THLois called him ‘Smallville’ and to be honest, it was kinda strange actually. But then again, maybe it could’ve been cute and funny too, who knows? LOL !
    Yeah it is kind of weird when you think of it in the context of LnC!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblueplanet View Post
    Btw, S:TAS Lois often called him ‘Kent’.
    I remember that! I loved how Lois would pick on Clark in S1! I've gotta have me a LnC marathon. I'm starting to get an itch to see some good Lane Smith moments!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblueplanet View Post
    Don’t you love how we can talk about these tiny things all day and makes a huge discussion out of it?
    . YES! The LnC forum stays pretty much dead! And I like discussing this show! It's my favorite show ya know!

  11. #11
    aka Mainstream05 j03superbat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    9,760
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblueplanet View Post
    You know why I called it ‘missed opportunity’?
    I don't think it is a missed opportunity for the simple fact that the nickname didn't exist yet. It's like saying, why didn't they invent home computers during World War II? I can see how "Smallville" is a very ironic and appropriate nickname for Lois to call Clark today, and I would fully expect her to call him that if Lois & Clark premiered today, but how can you fault LnC for not coming up with something like that? If anything, S:TAS inventing it is just a testament to how much of an entertaining show the animated series was.

    Also, I think it's so weird that Lois calls Clark "Smallville" on Smallville. You know, because they're in Smallville (or were, when she started calling him that). I half expect Lois to shout out Smallville while Clark's crossing the street and the whole town just turning around to look at her. Then again, I also think it's weird that Lois is in/on Smallville/Smallville in the first place and that her addition has brought nothing more to the show than a second, hotter Chloe that ends up in distress almost as much as Lana. So I may be biased.

    Now a good question is, did Lois call him "Smallville" in Superman Returns? And if not, why? Hmm?
    Last edited by j03superbat; 04-15-2009 at 06:24 PM.

  12. #12
    Whedon Worshipper Hopefulsuicide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    England
    Posts
    7,472
    Quote Originally Posted by j03superbat View Post

    Now a good question is, did Lois call him "Smallville" in Superman Returns? And if not, why? Hmm?
    Not that I remember. Though I'm trying to close out that limp attempt at a Lois Lane.

    ----- Added 9 Minutes later -----

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblueplanet View Post

    You know what I love about this nickname? When she starts calling him by this nickname, it was pretty clear that she downgrades Clark and it was used as the part of her dismissive attitude towards him. But then, as they grow more closer to each other and becomes good friends and partners, calling him Smallville for her turns out to be something more intimate, imo. It’s also something unique between them b/c no one else call him by this nickname and Lois never calls anyone else by the original nickname either.

    It also shows in SV that Clark doesn’t mind her calling him Smallville. I’m pretty sure he even likes it. Everyone except his parents treats him like someone ‘super’ and while he IS super, I think he desperately needs someone who treats him like a regular guy even they know who he really is. And that’s Lois.

    I never see this nickname as Lois looking down on him or/and making fool of him while I have no doubt it was her intension in the very beginning. LOL But I believe it grows slowly but fondly on both Lois and Clark as a little-something-special thing between them. At least this is how I see. YMMV.
    It very much is that, and I loved how you put that

    If LnC was before S:TAS, and she used the terms 'farmboy' 'hack from nowhere's ville' etc, then do you think LnC may have inspired the nickname?

    It makes sense. On LnC, especially in the beginning, he seemed to LOVE being bullied by her, while slipping in a few 'wins', so it became this sort of comfort zone for the two of them. Even in the first conversation they have, with the whole 'top bannana' 'like to be on top' thing... God I love that smile he gives her when she's not looking as they get in the elevator. You know he loves her right then

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblueplanet View Post

    Yep. She did. And according to zoom, she also called him ‘Lunkhead’ but I don’t remember when she said that.
    It was in 'The dad who came in from the cold' because Clark was obsessing that he wasn't gonna be able to be a good dad because he'd be away so much. Well deserved I think

    Quote Originally Posted by Queenrocks77 View Post
    YES! The LnC forum stays pretty much dead! And I like discussing this show! It's my favorite show ya know!
    I could talk LnC ALL DAY!
    Last edited by Hopefulsuicide; 04-13-2009 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  13. #13
    Posting Pro bigblueplanet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    s.w.France
    Posts
    1,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenrocks77 View Post
    I remember that! I loved how Lois would pick on Clark in S1! I've gotta have me a LnC marathon. I'm starting to get an itch to see some good Lane Smith moments!
    Yeah, tell me about it. Gosh, he was such a great actor and I LOVE his portrayal of Perry! Every time I watch LnC, it reminds me just how much I miss having Perry at the Daily Planet in SV. It’s one of the most awesome dynamics in the Superman universe, isn’t it? Let’s hope for SV’s S9 that we get to see one!

    Quote Originally Posted by Queenrocks77 View Post
    YES! The LnC forum stays pretty much dead! And I like discussing this show! It's my favorite show ya know!
    Well, we’re on the SV forum so it’s kinda given I guess. If you go to Superman fan sites or comic fan sites, the Smallville section (if they even have one) looks like the Gobi desert, you know. LOL

    Oh btw, I don't think I need to tell you how much I also love discussing about this show. You can always count me in!

    Quote Originally Posted by j03superbat View Post
    I don't think it is a missed opportunity for the simple fact that the nickname didn't exist yet. It's like saying, why didn't they invent home computers during World War II? I can see how "Smallville" is a very ironic and appropriate nickname for Lois to call Clark today, and I would fully expect her to call him that if Lois & Clark premiered today, but how can you fault LnC for not coming up with something like that?
    Hi, Julian. Thanks for responding, it’s always appreciated.

    I called it ‘missed opportunity’ for the reason I explained in my previous post while I’m fully aware that the nickname was not yet created back then. Most probably I didn’t word it appropriately but I was just expressing my own feelings in an honest way. I didn’t mean to fault LnC at all and if I gave you the impression that I did, then I’m sorry for that. I’ve heard people say “It’s a missed opportunity they didn’t cast KK as Lana for the Superboy TV show back in 80’s!” and I was using the term in the same way. But you’re totally right. The term ‘missed opportunity’ is not the right words in both contexts. I should have said that “I wish the nickname was already created by then because……….”.

    Quote Originally Posted by j03superbat View Post
    If anything, S:TAS inventing it is just a testament to how much of an entertaining show the animated series was.
    Each to their own, but I enjoyed both LnC and S:TAS equally. Funny enough, so are my kids. We (as in adult) tend to think young kids love more cartoon than live action, especially if this ‘live action’ series is a romantic comedy show. But they love both. I’m afraid my DVDs will wear out soon. LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by j03superbat View Post
    Also, I think it's so weird that Lois calls Clark "Smallville" on Smallville. You know, because they're in Smallville (or were, when she started calling him that). I half expect Lois to shout out Smallville while Clark's crossing the street and the whole town just turning around to look at her.
    Yeah, I know. As much as I love Lois calls Clark ‘Smallville’ in Smallville, it doesn’t really make sense, is it? Maybe it’s just a testament to how much of an illogical show the SV is…..?

    Quote Originally Posted by j03superbat View Post
    Then again, I also think it's weird that Lois is in/on Smallville/Smallville in the first place and that her addition has brought nothing more to the show than a second, hotter Chloe that ends up in distress almost as much as Lana. So I may be biased.
    I’m a big fan of Lois so of course I enjoy watching her on the show but I agree. Lois could have been there only for 4 episodes in S4 as TPTB first planned, imo, or not at all and Clark only met her in the begging beginning of S8. In either case, I could live with that. And while it’s perfectly fine for you to think Chloe is a hotter girl as we all have different opinions and own bias too, I'd like to ask you what one girl being hotter than others has anything to do with the overall storyline? Are you saying if Lois is played by a hotter actress, even hotter than AM, then you wouldn’t mind to see Lois appeared on the show when she did?

    Quote Originally Posted by j03superbat View Post
    Now a good question is, did Lois call him "Smallville" in Superman Returns? And if not, why? Hmm?
    Yep. It’s a good question. I had thought about it before and now you mentioned it, I’ll tell you my take on this. I think Singer didn’t let Lois call Clark ‘Smallville’ because it’s a movie based on the Silver Age concept and a big homage to Donner’s film where Lois also never called him ‘Smallville’ (and of course she couldn’t b/c the nickname was not created back then).

    Wait. I try again. IMO, like what I said in my previous post, I think the nickname somehow becomes something intimate between them. KBLois and BRClark don’t have the same level of intimacy or UST, nor a reasonable level of friendship for that matter compare to any other incarnations of them. They don’t even talk or interact as friends in SR. So given their relationship in this film, having her call him ‘Smallville’ just doesn’t fit at all in the context, imho. And for the record, I didn’t call this as a ‘missed opportunity’ even though they could if they wanted to. Actually I’m glad she didn’t b/c if she did, it would have looked forced & out of the blue I guess.

    What about you? What your take on this? I'd love to hear it if you don't mind sharing it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopefulsuicide View Post

    It very much is that, and I loved how you put that
    Why, thank you! It means a lot coming from you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopefulsuicide View Post
    If LnC was before S:TAS, and she used the terms 'farmboy' 'hack from nowhere's ville' etc, then do you think LnC may have inspired the nickname?
    Hummm,…… honestly? I dunno.

    Because she stopped calling him by this kind of nicknames pretty quickly after the Pilot, didn’t she? (Exception of ‘‘Lunkhead’ much later. LOL)

    I think Bruce Timm’s team came up with this nickname all by themselves and I’d like to give them a full credit on this. But I love to know who or which writer created this nickname. Maybe Alan Burnett or/and Paul Dini who wrote “The Last Son of Krypton, Part 2"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopefulsuicide View Post
    It makes sense. On LnC, especially in the beginning, he seemed to LOVE being bullied by her, while slipping in a few 'wins', so it became this sort of comfort zone for the two of them. Even in the first conversation they have, with the whole 'top bannana' 'like to be on top' thing... God I love that smile he gives her when she's not looking as they get in the elevator. You know he loves her right then
    Now THIS is what I'm talking about! I’m so glad to have you here, Becky.
    After I read many posts of yours in LnC section, I knew I can fully share my love and enthusiasm for this show with you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopefulsuicide View Post
    It was in 'The dad who came in from the cold' because Clark was obsessing that he wasn't gonna be able to be a good dad because he'd be away so much. Well deserved I think
    Thanks. I didn’t think she called him ‘Lunkhead’ as late as S3! Now I have to re-watch this episode to see Clark’s reaction. LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopefulsuicide View Post
    I could talk LnC ALL DAY!
    Yep, me too. I’m glad there are still several fellow members hanging around in this corner of the forum.
    Last edited by bigblueplanet; 04-13-2009 at 10:24 AM.

  14. #14
    Forum Whiz hero`s passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    Russia (avi by Blazel)
    Posts
    878
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopefulsuicide View Post
    I swear she did call him Smallville once in the Pilot... but maybe i'm wrong... I can hear it though... hmmm i may have to watch it and see
    I think I heard it too, she defenetly called him Smallville once or twice

  15. #15
    Whedon Worshipper Hopefulsuicide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    England
    Posts
    7,472
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblueplanet View Post
    Why, thank you! It means a lot coming from you!

    Now THIS is what I'm talking about! I’m so glad to have you here, Becky.
    After I read many posts of yours in LnC section, I knew I can fully share my love and enthusiasm for this show with you!
    You made my day with that

    I wanna re watch season 1 now, see if I can pick out any more nicknames. If she didn't use any, I wonder why? Hmm I'm gonna have a look

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •