Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else think this ep brought the series up a level?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea i really liked this epi too!! I dont know if it improved the series as a whole or not but on its own this was a good epi!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack-El49
      Hex advances the B-plot. Eternal advanced the A-plot. Neither were fillers.
      If you see it this way then there are no "filler" episodes, I mean every series have a main plot and an alternate plot. They can always go either way. I remember watching many sitcoms and the same always happened there.

Comment

It wasn't Power or Requiem level bad, but it was pretty horrible. Throughout the episode I was laughing about how stupid some parts where (Run past the alien spacecraft and Get that kid! Doomy can speak english instantly after landing! Clark doesn't remember that Lex made the starblade dissolve! Tess can deduce things that Lionel can't from his own ****ing journal!)

A picture is worth a thousand words, and this one sums up what this episode turned out to be:

Comment

It went up really well, for me, this was a really really great episode. I loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Minamostaza
            It went up really well, for me, this was a really really great episode. I loved it.
            Agreed!

Comment

This episode really has me hyped for the rest of the season. I really liked how they tied in Davis and Vertias into the story.

Comment

IMO, I didn't think trying to retcon Bloomsday into Veritas was a very good idea. I get why they wanted to do it, and understand why some people were fine with it. But for me, I spent the entire episode thinking, "But...wait..." Personally, it brought me out of the story, and any time you take your viewers out of the story you're telling, it's probably a bad thing.

I think there are ways they could have tied Doomy into everything without taking the viewers out of the story, personally. But that's all just MO.

Comment

Originally posted by Jade4813
                  IMO, I didn't think trying to retcon Bloomsday into Veritas was a very good idea. I get why they wanted to do it, and understand why some people were fine with it. But for me, I spent the entire episode thinking, "But...wait..." Personally, it brought me out of the story, and any time you take your viewers out of the story you're telling, it's probably a bad thing.

I think there are ways they could have tied Doomy into everything without taking the viewers out of the story, personally. But that's all just MO.
                  I think they should have stayed away from connecting Doomsday to anything in the past. We all know how bad they screwed up by having that ill-executed Veritas plot last season. They have been saying that Doomsday came because of the timeline shift caused by Brainiac going to the past. This episode should have showed that timeline shift or no timeline shift, Doomsday would eventually get to Earth anyway. Unfortunately, this episode was doomed (pun not intended) as soon as they revealed Davis as having a childhood where he couldn't remember the first 3 years.

I think given this scenario, the best approach would have been to continue the events of Apocalypse & show Brainiac (after Kara threw that rock on his head) get up and throw the pod/ball/cocoon/etc that was Doomsday towards the direction of Earth and have it land in another part of Kansas. This way, the Doomsday thing would be a branch of the Veritas contradiction of the earlier seasons rather than having it be a 2nd & seperate contradiction of the earlier seasons. And they should have shown why Veritas had it all wrong & should have made Doomsday be the Traveler by clearing it up that the Traveler was the final version of an experiment that began long ago (tying Davis/Doomsday to Bertron's experiments & creation of Doomsday in the comics).

But as that "motivational" poster that Jawth posted shows, it was a failure.

Comment

Originally posted by xrayvision
                    I think they should have stayed away from connecting Doomsday to anything in the past. We all know how bad they screwed up by having that ill-executed Veritas plot last season. They have been saying that Doomsday came because of the timeline shift caused by Brainiac going to the past. This episode should have showed that timeline shift or no timeline shift, Doomsday would eventually get to Earth anyway. Unfortunately, this episode was doomed (pun not intended) as soon as they revealed Davis as having a childhood where he couldn't remember the first 3 years.

I think given this scenario, the best approach would have been to continue the events of Apocalypse & show Brainiac (after Kara threw that rock on his head) get up and throw the pod/ball/cocoon/etc that was Doomsday towards the direction of Earth and have it land in another part of Kansas. This way, the Doomsday thing would be a branch of the Veritas contradiction of the earlier seasons rather than having it be a 2nd & seperate contradiction of the earlier seasons. And they should have shown why Veritas had it all wrong & should have made Doomsday be the Traveler by clearing it up that the Traveler was the final version of an experiment that began long ago (tying Davis/Doomsday to Bertron's experiments & creation of Doomsday in the comics).

But as that "motivational" poster that Jawth posted shows, it was a failure.
                    Yeah, I agree. I don't think it was necessary to try to tie everything in to the past. Sometimes villains come into town and do bad things and they don't need to have had this long backstory that interconnects with others. But, then again, I also don't think that every villain has to have a sad backstory of them trying to be good and failing because of all the bad things they did or whatnot. Sometimes bad guys are just bad guys. Period, end of story. They do bad things because...well, sometimes just because it makes them happy.

Villains like SVLex may be more tragic, but IMO, villains like Hannibal Lecter in "Silence of the Lambs" are downright scarier. Why does he do the things he does? I don't know, and not knowing what makes him tick is downright scary to me. There's nothing wrong with the occasion villain who's just plain evil because they're evil and who's downright terrifying because of it.

ETA: There are several redundancies in that last paragraph. I should fix them, but I'm tired and my brain is overtaxed from 12 hours of working on a paper. So I shall leave them be and beg apologies instead!

Comment

I personally just wish they made Doomsday some lab experiment that Tess was working on. They could make Tess this psycotic witch creating Doomsday and have him unleshed in episode 22, in a knock them down drag em out fight full of great SFX. It would have tied well into the continuity of Season 6 Luthorcorp experiments. An in order to fill epsiodes like Prey or Eternal they could have had Tess send out trial runs of Doomsday. In Bride/Legion it could have focused on the Persuader and/or Brainiac.
                      Last edited by Supsfan; 04-19-2009, 11:45 PM.

Comment

I can understand, Xrayvision, the story more and get behind it more if they said it was a result of time travel, but if this was the case then there are still a mess of questions that get thrown in to this story. I dont want to list them all but you know exactly what i'm talking. There is still alot of issues i have with this episode and it cant be redeemed in anyways you try to explain this Davis Bloome being here since Clark.

This is why we shouldnt mess with time travel or kep adding characters to the pilot episode, it complicates the story.

----- Added 6 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Jade4813
                        Yeah, I agree. I don't think it was necessary to try to tie everything in to the past. Sometimes villains come into town and do bad things and they don't need to have had this long backstory that interconnects with others. But, then again, I also don't think that every villain has to have a sad backstory of them trying to be good and failing because of all the bad things they did or whatnot. Sometimes bad guys are just bad guys. Period, end of story. They do bad things because...well, sometimes just because it makes them happy.

Villains like SVLex may be more tragic, but IMO, villains like Hannibal Lecter in "Silence of the Lambs" are downright scarier. Why does he do the things he does? I don't know, and not knowing what makes him tick is downright scary to me. There's nothing wrong with the occasion villain who's just plain evil because they're evil and who's downright terrifying because of it.

ETA: There are several redundancies in that last paragraph. I should fix them, but I'm tired and my brain is overtaxed from 12 hours of working on a paper. So I shall leave them be and beg apologies instead!

I agree. Smallvilel tries to make it seem like all bad people come from failed attempts of redemption or some of bad life. but some people come from good lives and just naturally go bad because they dont care.

This is where smallville hurts itself. They try to draw the line to show that everyone has had a bad life compared to Clark and this is the reason why they go bad, and thats not the case. People make bad decisions sometimes, it has nothing to do with the way their parents treated them.
                        Last edited by Theshadow129x; 04-19-2009, 11:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

As written on another thread I think the biggest retcon was Lionel's diary that Lex couldn't find or he maybe didn't even look. It would have given him more answers than killing Lionel for some neckless or something. It didn't make any sense - Tess found it without any problems and Lex couldn't find it for all those years.

Besides according to this diary Lionel knew Clark was the traveler from the beginning which doesn't make any sense either when watching first seasons. The only explanation would be - Lionel wanted to full even the audience whitch is just too ridicules

But if it hadn't been for those retcons and if they made the story more credible it would really have been a good episode. Right now I would say: it was interesting yes, but it didn't tie and some even say it destroyed the strory from first seasons of SV.

Comment

Originally posted by ox007
                            Right now I would say: it was interesting yes, but it didn't tie and some even say it destroyed the strory from first seasons of SV.
                            My main problem with Veritas is that it was interesting, but it clashed with everything we were ever told. So like you seem to be implying, I'd say an interesting plot isn't good enough when it contradicts so much of the story. Season 7 was very interesting for the most part. But the reason it's my least favorite is due to the ignorance of the writers for the previously told facts & the fact that it made Clark look like a moron.

Comment

I enjoyed some aspects to it but I couldn't fully enjoy it because there was way too many plot holes for my liking. It's just made storylines seem so inconsistant. I think in this episode, the writers got confused between developing and changing. It had the latter effect, which was not good.

Give Davis a backstory if you must but leave prior storylines where they are.

Comment

I really fail to see what was wrong with Doomsday's comic book origin. I was hoping for the best at first, but in between making him a Hulk ripoff and unnessisarily forcing him into past events therefore making the rest of the series invalid I've really come to resent this arc.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎