Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else think this ep brought the series up a level?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jawth
    I really fail to see what was wrong with Doomsday's comic book origin. I was hoping for the best at first, but in between making him a Hulk ripoff and unnessisarily forcing him into past events therefore making the rest of the series invalid I've really come to resent this arc.
    The comic book Doomsday arc wouldn't work for TV IMO. Too one-dimensional. I like this version MUCH better!!!! And it has made Smallville watchable again and has given way more buzz to the show than it's had in years. Definitely brought the series up a level.

Comment

Originally posted by Autumn
      The comic book Doomsday arc wouldn't work for TV IMO. Too one-dimensional. I like this version MUCH better!!!! And it has made Smallville watchable again and has given way more buzz to the show than it's had in years. Definitely brought the series up a level.
      I only agree with your statement because they wouldn't be able to fill an entire season with the real Doomsday. A movie, absolutely, but a 22 episode TV season, no. There's no way a Doomsday-Superman/Clark fight would be able to put off until the end of the season with the real Doomsday.

But I have several problems with this version. I can overlook the Hulk ripoff thing, but my problem is that he hasn't really been interesting. The Davis thing was interesting up to Bride. After that episode, I just haven't been interested. They made almost all of his interaction be with Chloe. I wanted to see Clark & Davis interact, but they only showed that in Prey & a little in Eternal. Other than that, they failed to establish a decent connection between the 2 characters who will be having the ultimate battle in a few episodes from now. I wanted Clark to follow him around & investigate him. I also wasn't happy the way Clark blamed himself for Davis' life.

Even with the Davis-DD dual personality, they didn't have to tie his arrival to Clark's. I have a big problem with that. That could have been avoided & still had the Davis personality.

Comment

But you don't have to make Doomsday a PT character.

They can hint to him throughout the season(if he some form of lab experiemnt) and have him show up in the final episode or they could do a 3 episode story arc of finding him and unearthing him and he shows up in the final epsiode.

Comment

Doomsday as he was in the comics couldn't pull off being a series regular-I'll give you that. He could easily be made into the "big bad" of a season though.

Tess, obsessed with the Kawachi caves and what information she has on the traveler, searches for similiar markings across the planet. A few episodes later, she thinks she found a possible match and she brings along Clark (because she is suspiscious of him and possible connections to the traveler). Lex and Lionel had found the place before, but ultimately decided it wasn't of importance. Clark recognizes the Kryptonian symbol for "Doomsday" on the wall and other warning of a destroyer. Deep below the earth, a beastlike creature senses Clark and awakens from slumber.

A episode or two pass, and the beast finds Clark. The two battle, with Clark the victor, seemingly killing DD, though suffering serious wounds.

Doomsday comes back stronger towards the end of the season, wrecks the Justice League, and it's a huge and epic round 2!

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey_Bickey
            It wasn't that bad!
            ... it kinda was...

Comment

Originally posted by Jawth
              Doomsday as he was in the comics couldn't pull off being a series regular-I'll give you that. He could easily be made into the "big bad" of a season though.

Tess, obsessed with the Kawachi caves and what information she has on the traveler, searches for similiar markings across the planet. A few episodes later, she thinks she found a possible match and she brings along Clark (because she is suspiscious of him and possible connections to the traveler). Lex and Lionel had found the place before, but ultimately decided it wasn't of importance. Clark recognizes the Kryptonian symbol for "Doomsday" on the wall and other warning of a destroyer. Deep below the earth, a beastlike creature senses Clark and awakens from slumber.

A episode or two pass, and the beast finds Clark. The two battle, with Clark the victor, seemingly killing DD, though suffering serious wounds.

Doomsday comes back stronger towards the end of the season, wrecks the Justice League, and it's a huge and epic round 2!
              I like parts of this idea, except that Lex & Lionel found a place they wrote off as unimportant. I didn't like how Tess discovered things Lex or Lionel never did when they had years to. It makes them look incompetent.

I wish they would have had Kara in 2 episodes, one showing her in her quest to find Kandor and passing by a sleeping creature who awakens in space after she passes by, sensing the trail from where she came & following it back to Earth. Or maybe this could have happened at the end of Bloodline.

----- Added 27 Minutes later -----

Or I think it would have been cool had they had a seperate Kawatche or better yet Kryptonian prophecy for Doomsday saying something like "From the expulsion of powers granted by the yellow sun Sol from the Last Son's fall, the beast shall awaken" meaning that Clark's loss of powers in Arctic/Odyssey caused by the orb could have shown his powers to irradiate out to space, awakening Doomsday. Now that would have been an awesome prophecy. It would show that the Veritas society got it all wrong with the Traveler being Doomsday (being led to Earth by the orb) and would also show why that orb was so dangerous & why it was hidden along with its key.
              Last edited by xrayvision; 04-21-2009, 04:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of Lex and Lionel not having the dumb luck to have Clark around when they visited the new cave to wake up Doomsday so their trips were uneventful.

Comment

I actually don't even like the Doomsday character in the comics at all, until he becomes a hero, then he is more interesting, so I'm personally glad they changed it. LOVE this episode!! Adore it!!

Comment

I actually don't even like the Doomsday character in the comics at all, until he becomes a hero, then he is more interesting, so I'm personally glad they changed it. LOVE this episode!! Adore it!!
                    Yeah......This Doomsday isn't Doomsday. He's little more than a Hulk ripoff. If they wanted to do that they should have made another character or use that blue ripoff of Hulk from DC. I'm all for tinkering and reinventing, but sometimes the show goes a little too far (Supergirl, Bizarro and SuperLana come to mind too).

I have to ask, what was good about this episode? It was chock full of plotholes, unessisary retcons and flat out lol at teh stupidity moments like Lionel's men running straight past a spaceship, and Lionel knowing the whole time when his past actions clearly didn't match with that.

Comment

Let's face it. The whole season has been this buildup to an epic battle vs. Doomsday, and now that there's prob. gonna be another season - almost assuredly - the whole thing is either going to be a) anticlimactic, because they're going to make Davis into something...good or ultimately not evil (because fans like him) or b) they'll keep resurrecting Doomsday into next season and rob us of the more interesting story lines.

That being said, who doesn't hang on every episode like they're hypnotized? That's why I don't get too shaken up - I know it's Smallville, and I'm basically gonna love it no matter what.

Comment

Eternal was certainly one of the better acted episodes of the series. SW, AM, and TW done a wonderful job. I love Smallville, but I can admit that it's not known for it's great acting. Yes, the storyline didn't match up with earlier episodes but as a standalone it was amazing. It was almost like watching another show completely.

Comment

It was a good episode I have to agree on that, but I don't think it took Smallville up a gear, I think Hex did that if I'm completely honest!!!

Comment

If you judge the episode on it's own, it was ok, but when you put it in the context of the 8 year run of the series it's a retcon trainwreck. I personally didn't care for it myself and felt there was better stories to be told on this show without trying to resort to rewriting history

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎