Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, that is why I find it is not appropriate at all

Comment

I seem to be re-posting this all over the place:

TPTB are walking a thin line on this one IMO and it can go either way. Yes, I think he will die and come back next season, but these comparisons are a bit tricky when it comes to Superman. I can pick any epic story and find alegory(sp?) Everything from Lord of the Rings to Star Wars to Chronicles of Narnia to Superman and on and on. There are thousands of tales that draw influence from legend and myth and religion. Be it Christian faith or ancient Greek and Roman Mythology or any other epic ancient tale.

Just because Superman may have been inspired by Jesus (or more directly Moses, which many don't even consider but is more in line with the faith of the creators) that doesn't mean Superman should be treated as a religious figure. Those who elevate him to such a level IMO miss completely who he actually is. He is not even remotely close to being the most powerfull being in the universe and being a hero does not make you a God.

I'm all for Tess representing those who would see him as a God like figure. I mean, it happens right here in reality. But make no mistake! Superman does NOT have a God Complex. He does NOT believe he was sent to Earth to be our Savior. He saves peole is a physical way and he gives the world inspiration, but he makes exactly ZERO claims of being anything more than a guy who wants do what he can to help and he happens to be a huminoid from another planet. Nothing mystical or miraculous about it. The minute Smallville Clark starts to act like he has a God Complex I'm done with this show. I don't know who it insults more, Jesus or Clark.

That said, I don't mind one bit if the issue is addresed as long as, at the end of the day, Tess and her image of what he should be is rejected by Clark. So far so good. Smallville Clark dismissed her assertion out of hand and rejected it with downright anger. I don't care who Bryan Singer thinks Superman is. And at the risk of sounding arrogant, I do know who he is. More importantly and directly related to this topic, I know who he is NOT. And I'm not talking about my personal preference, I'm talking about how Superman sees himself.
      He does not allow himself to be inserted into someone's hopes for spiritual salvation. He will save your physical body from a fire. The salvation of your soul is between you and someone(thing) else.

Smallville bringing the issue to the forefront can be be a good thing as long it results in an effort from Clark to squash the idea.

Comment

I agree, it was not appropriate. I get the comparison. But, really did they need to bring religion into the storyline again.. I mean, I have to admit that I see something of religion every single show because I have always had the belief that Tom Welling was a Sexy GOD! and I basically worship the ground he walks on. But couldn't they have left it with just the NAman/Segeeth storyline instead of bringing the Christian belief into it?

Comment

Superman does NOT have a God Complex. He does NOT believe he was sent to Earth to be our Savior. He saves peole is a physical way and he gives the world inspiration, but he makes exactly ZERO claims of being anything more than a guy who wants do what he can to help and he happens to be a huminoid from another planet. Nothing mystical or miraculous about it.
          Cksidekicks : THANKS, this is exactly what I mean and feel about Clark.That is why I am so upset about the way the writers are doing their analogies

----- Added 56 Seconds later -----

Originally posted by superjude
          I agree, it was not appropriate. I get the comparison. But, really did they need to bring religion into the storyline again.. I mean, I have to admit that I see something of religion every single show because I have always had the belief that Tom Welling was a Sexy GOD! and I basically worship the ground he walks on. But couldn't they have left it with just the NAman/Segeeth storyline instead of bringing the Christian belief into it?
          ITA. And about Tom being a Sexy GOD, I have nothing to add
          Last edited by Tompouce; 04-03-2009, 12:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Tompouce
            And about Tom being a Sexy GOD, I have nothing to add
            Yes, I think Iīd reconsider my stance on religion if there were one worshipping Tom as a sex god.

Wait a second, arenīt we doing that already?

Comment

I was thinking the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by TOMophilus
                Yes, I think Iīd reconsider my stance on religion if there were one worshipping Tom as a sex god.

Wait a second, arenīt we doing that already?
                You are right, it sounds familiar

Comment

I do not mind the religious aspect of the story because it has been there since the very beginning of the show and it is the only way that other characters, and sometimes Clark can relate to what is going to happen in a sense. I mean, look at lex he would either mention or quote something as personal and related to Clark story somehow. And even in the comics and other media. Brown has always been kind of scene as a God among mortal men, the key though is that he does not think of himself as a God. And no when about to say next probably make a lot of people mad, but here I go. Did not Jesus tried to bring peace to the earth? And is not that what Clark spoke to do that, so I always thought of it (maybe not as the next Jesus, but it makes logical sense to me anyway). Also, you never know they be the creators of Superman always intended for him to be the next Jesus. But gave him an interesting storyline and superpowers so that they could sell the comics and make money. Remember our beliefs influence everything we do. Remember. Just my opinions

Comment

I don't have a problem at all with comparisons to other mythos. Isis foundation is fine. Lex pulls names for projects from ancient mythos. Superman is LIKE a God among Men. People compare him to a God in the DCU, and have conversations very similar to this one. That doesn't make him feel he should act like one.

Superman has his OWN mythos. Smallville gives us more of it than movies ever have but they still do these comparisons. If you put Superman into the DC Universe you don't need to exchange DC's mythos for another one. He lives in a world full of other "God like" characters many of which are far more powerfull than him. And some are Humans. Batman is one of them. A mortal man a "Dark Knight" who elevated himself to being an equal to Superman and Wonder Woman. I could go on and on about the EPIC status of Superman in the DCU but I won't. Point is, as I said, Supes has his own mythos that is as epic as any. He doesn't need to borrow from another one.
                    Last edited by cksidekick; 04-21-2009, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cksidekick
                      I seem to be re-posting this all over the place:

TPTB are walking a thin line on this one IMO and it can go either way. Yes, I think he will die and come back next season, but these comparisons are a bit tricky when it comes to Superman. I can pick any epic story and find alegory(sp?) Everything from Lord of the Rings to Star Wars to Chronicles of Narnia to Superman and on and on. There are thousands of tales that draw influence from legend and myth and religion. Be it Christian faith or ancient Greek and Roman Mythology or any other epic ancient tale.

Just because Superman may have been inspired by Jesus (or more directly Moses, which many don't even consider but is more in line with the faith of the creators) that doesn't mean Superman should be treated as a religious figure. Those who elevate him to such a level IMO miss completely who he actually is. He is not even remotely close to being the most powerfull being in the universe and being a hero does not make you a God.

I'm all for Tess representing those who would see him as a God like figure. I mean, it happens right here in reality. But make no mistake! Superman does NOT have a God Complex. He does NOT believe he was sent to Earth to be our Savior. He saves peole is a physical way and he gives the world inspiration, but he makes exactly ZERO claims of being anything more than a guy who wants do what he can to help and he happens to be a huminoid from another planet. Nothing mystical or miraculous about it. The minute Smallville Clark starts to act like he has a God Complex I'm done with this show. I don't know who it insults more, Jesus or Clark.

That said, I don't mind one bit if the issue is addresed as long as, at the end of the day, Tess and her image of what he should be is rejected by Clark. So far so good. Smallville Clark dismissed her assertion out of hand and rejected it with downright anger. I don't care who Bryan Singer thinks Superman is. And at the risk of sounding arrogant, I do know who he is. More importantly and directly related to this topic, I know who he is NOT. And I'm not talking about my personal preference, I'm talking about how Superman sees himself.
                      He does not allow himself to be inserted into someone's hopes for spiritual salvation. He will save your physical body from a fire. The salvation of your soul is between you and someone(thing) else.

Smallville bringing the issue to the forefront can be be a good thing as long it results in an effort from Clark to squash the idea.
                      Well put!

Comment

Smallville is on a different earth. They have no Superman. This Doomsday is a different kind. Maybe this Clark won't have to die. Superman in the comics never "really" died anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by cksidekick
                          I don't have a problem at all with comparisons to other mythos. Isis foundation is fine. Lex pulls names for projects from ancient mythos. Superman is LIKE a God among Men. People compare him to a God in the DCU, and have conversations very similar to this one. That doesn't make him feel he should act like one.

Superman has his OWN mythos. Smallville gives us more of it than movies ever have but they still do these comparisons. If you put Superman into the DC Universe you don't need to exchange DC's mythos for another one. He lives in a world full of other "God like" characters many of which are far more powerfull than him. And some are Humans. Batman is one of them. A mortal man a "Dark Knight" who elevated himself to being an equal to Superman and Wonder Woman. I could go on and on about the EPIC status of Superman in the DCU but I won't. Point is, as I said, Supes has his own mythos that is as epic as any. He doesn't need to borrow from another one.
                          C.S. Lewis would agree with you, but J.R.R. Tolkien would not.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by jpfort1957
                          Smallville is on a different earth. They have no Superman. This Doomsday is a different kind. Maybe this Clark won't have to die. Superman in the comics never "really" died anyway.
                          I always interpreted that he was only MOSTLY dead.
                          Last edited by dunkman; 05-04-2009, 11:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎