Davis Is More Heroic Than Clark?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tess is Smokin
    you mean when he made him self stronger,immortal and indestructible
    He didn't know that, at that moment he was being heroic.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin24
      He does know now
      Sure when it's too late, but he thought Kryptonite would kill him as it seemed to have the same effect on him when he was a kid, when Lex opened the box with kryptonite in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Davis Bloome
        As if he knew?

"That which kills you makes you stronger" hear any bells ringing?

Comment

Originally posted by Tess is Smokin
          "That which kills you makes you stronger" hear any bells ringing?
          No, but "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" does. And there is a big difference if you look at this episode between your saying and mine.

Comment

Davis really di think it would kill him. Even though he did die and come back to life he figured that the kryptonite could be the one thing that could kill him.

Comment

No, but "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" does. And there is a big difference if you look at this episode between your saying and mine.

what?.. thats not even close to what Faora told Davis when she stabbed him with a pole. what are you talking about?

Comment

Yeah sorry, I forgot what she said, but she's just saying something that is based on the actual saying "That what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger". I just forgot that she changed it.

Comment

I can't agree with you on this one. I could compare Davis with dictators who mass murder because they think a certain group of people are bad for the world. Picking and choosing people who you think the world would be better off without isn't heroic, it's playing God.

Comment

While I agree that Davis isn't the cut and dry bad guy, he's actually a good person at heart being forced to do horrible things, I don't think he's a bigger hero than Clark. Mostly because I've seen years of Clark doing the right thing. Yeah he has made mistakes, but he is a good man and does try to do the right thing in the end.

Originally posted by saltyweeks
                    Then, when it becomes clear to him he was destined to destroy the savior of the world, his answer is-- assisted suicide to kill himself because he feels the world is safer if he sacrifices himself.
                    This isn't true however. Davis said it himself. I dunno if you missed it, but when Clark told Davis not to be a martyr Davis told him that his desire to kill himself doesn't have anything to do with Clark. He wanted to die because he couldn't live with himself for everything he has done. It had nothing to do with Clark and everything to do with ending his own suffering.

Comment

Imo it's not heroic, but it's not playing God either. If he has to kill people to save innocents then there is little choice he has then to rid the innocent of the bad people...

Comment

Imo it's not heroic, but it's not playing God either. If he has to kill people to save innocents then there is little choice he has then to rid the innocent of the bad people...
                        I agree w/ you. I think the part whre he sacrafices himself is very heroic and the other is him just doing the best he can to save others he has no choice in the matter.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by MrZeppo
                        While I agree that Davis isn't the cut and dry bad guy, he's actually a good person at heart being forced to do horrible things, I don't think he's a bigger hero than Clark. Mostly because I've seen years of Clark doing the right thing. Yeah he has made mistakes, but he is a good man and does try to do the right thing in the end.

This isn't true however. Davis said it himself. I dunno if you missed it, but when Clark told Davis not to be a martyr Davis told him that his desire to kill himself doesn't have anything to do with Clark. He wanted to die because he couldn't live with himself for everything he has done. It had nothing to do with Clark and everything to do with ending his own suffering.
                        I agree he was ending his own suffering but he still did it so he wouldn't hurt anyone else. Even though he said he wasn't trying to be a martyr to me that is still very heroic.
                        Last edited by chlo-el; 04-03-2009, 10:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

But lets talk about Clark heroics. I mean before Davis became indestructible he was surely a lot more vulnerable than Clark and Clark except for the Kryptonite is as good as invulnerable. So it's not like he is risking his life constantly in order to save people. There is no doubt that Clark is very noble in what he does. If he wasn't he would still have his powers watching people die on TV. But he gives what time he has on saving people and that is certainly noble, but is it so heroic knowing that he is practically invincible? Just asking others opinions so we can see if we can compare if Davis is not as heroic as Clark.

Comment

Originally posted by saltyweeks
                            In a way, I think Davis, at this point, is a bigger hero than Clark is. It depends on your definition of a few concepts and your feelings on nautre/nuture, but consider this:

* Clark was destined by his nature to save the world. Davis was destined by his nature to destroy it.

* Clark was born to be a hero, Davis a beast.

* Clark was raised by a loving family and taught heroic, self-sacrificing values. Davis was put in a cage, abandoned on the street, and shuttled around foster homes.

*Clark has been continually reinforced to believe in himself by those who know of his deeds. Davis reads about the latest Doomsday murder in the paper and slouches into church.

AND YET, Davis himself has turned out to be a pretty good and noble guy, not a mindless killing machine. Doomsday may have been put into his DNA, but Davis really tries to make his life worthwhile for humanity. Despite his upbringing he becomes a paramedic to help people. When the beast comes out he tries to stop it, and always feels terrible about what happens, seeking religious answers and forgiveness. And when he can't control it, he tries to steer it in a vigilante direction instead of harming the innocent.

Then, when it becomes clear to him he was destined to destroy the savior of the world, his answer is-- assisted suicide to kill himself because he feels the world is safer if he sacrifices himself.

I'm sorry, but that's freakin' heroic. Davis wasn't handed any of the things Clark was either by nature or by environment. And yet, he continually tries to find a way out of his destiny so he can be who he is: a really decent guy who wants to help people. When he finds out he can't, he seeks to end his own life for the good of us all.

Yes, I know what Doomsday is destined to be. But Davis Bloom is a heck of a good fella. The way it has all been portrayed it really ISN'T his fault, not at all. And he struggles heroically against what Tess would tell him he can't fight.

When Davis loses his battle, that's when the world will be in trouble. Clark is indeed a hero, but he's had a lot of help, and he's also just a johnny-come-lately to a fight another hero has been waging all his life.

So far in the life of Doomsday the biggest enemy of Doomsday has been Davis Bloom.
                            Truer words could not have been spoken. THANK YOU! This is exactly how I see it. Davis is a hero from my perspective. So much WORD!!!!!! Standing ovation.

Despite all the odds, Davis STILL tries to be a good guy. He even sacrifices his life. I thought what he tried to do was heartbreaking.

Comment

I certainly don't think Davis is more heroic than Clark. He may be noble, but more heroic? I have a hard time buying into that.

A very interesting paradigm has been placed before us. Davis thinks that he is a real person with something to live for - but the truth is, it's only a mask, or at least it's supposed to be. The person he thinks he is isn't real. This is problematic, because it kind of suggests that all is determined and we have no choice in how we live our lives. Based on what we've seen with Clark, however, people always have a choice, Kryptonian or not.

Clark did not have to become, the Red-Blue Blur, he didn't have to save people when he was in high school, but he felt a sense of duty. It could have been because of his upbringing, sure... but he still had to decide to take that Red-K ring off in Metropolis. Part of me thinks that one day, Davis is just going to stop caring, that's a choice - and not a heroic one... and the day he does, I think, will be the day when Clark meets the battle of a lifetime.
                              Last edited by smallvillerocks45; 04-03-2009, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chlo-el
                                It is very heroic to fight the monster inside. And part of defintion of being a hero is to sacrafice your own life to save others.

And Davis did have a rotten life and yet and he still tried to be good. Any of the killings he did he was forced to do chosing the lesser of two evils so he doesn't end up killing more innocent people.

At this point though I wouldn't say he is more heroic then Clark. Clark never had to do those things. Clark has had his bit of heroism too. And he has had the good life. But I think at this point and this ep Clark was very heroic and sympathetic.
                                I agree with this. It's not like he can just stop the killings whenever he wished. He killed whenever the beast started to take over. He chose to kill bad guys instead of killing tons of innocent people. It's horrific, but he didn't know what else to do. Then he thinks he can kill himself for the greater good. I saw that as heroic even though it didn't work. So what does he do? He goes to Chloe next because she's his last chance to control it. I do think Clark acted like a hero in this one as well. It just sucks that Davis got the raw end of the deal when he tries so hard to be good, even though everything in his life has been one neverending nightmare, save for Chloe.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎