No announcement yet.

Davis Is More Heroic Than Clark?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mischael12
    I think its how you view their destiny's.

Clark's destiny is to be this great savior yet he pines to be a normal person, but he delves so far into it that as Clark Kent, he just hides out on his farm, sure now he has sorta spread his wings but he as a "human" doesn't do things to help the world. Lets not get into the argument of the Clark Kent Persona though.

Davis on the other hand had as pointed a crappy life, but still choose a career to help people, when he discovered his darkness he instead turns to trying to channel it towards those who are criminals instead of being judiciously evil. And he still pines for the murders even if they are evil.

I don't know I feel that if Davis had been in Clark's shoes he would have been a more successful heroic figure than clark.
    Ouch for Clark. Yet... your argument is sound. I love Clark and the Superman mythos, but I digress every time Ma and Pa Kent or Chloe needed to kick him to get him in gear.

Davis... was already saving people on his own. Yikes. What a comparison.

Comment

• You got a point there. Clark often had to be pushed in the right direction, though not always. He often found that it was his responsibility if it was meteor related.

Comment

• Clark certainly had parental guidance, but his efforts to save people have always been a part of who he is.

Remember the episode "Leech" when Clark lost his powers, he couldn't help but be himself - and even broke a few ribs because it was just in his nature to want to help people, when he was powerless. Clark perhaps feels it's his responsibility to take care of matters that involve meteors, but he also just feels compelled to do something because he believes it is the right thing to do.

It is my impression that Davis became a paramedic because he's compensating for a lack he feels, and even if the Kents had found him instead, he still would essentially be (or become) Doomsday - and, IMO, no amount of direction or love could change that - because Clark, unfortunately brings out the worst in him.
        Last edited by smallvillerocks45; 04-27-2009, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• Not necessarily true, Clark as Kal-El is not at all partial to humans however because of how he was raised he overrode that genetic part of him I guess you can say. Of course there is a difference in that Clark was born and Doomsday was created specifically, but even without the love and direction he still was able to live a life without the monster, he might have been able to keep doing so if he actually had positive role models and love in his life.

Clark is compelled to do something true, but again as pointed with all these powers why does he just stick to the local view?

Comment

I don't know I feel that if Davis had been in Clark's shoes he would have been a more successful heroic figure than clark.
            Do you really think Davis would have been a hero if raised by the Kents? I tried to imagine Davis growing at the Kent farm and all I could come up with is this scenario:

Little Davis: 'Mom, I want another muffin'
            Martha: 'No Davis, we'll have lunch in a moment."
            Davis: 'I want it now!'
            Martha: 'I said no. You can have one later.'
            Davis eyes turn red.
            Martha: 'OMG, what's happening?'
            Mini Doomsday: 'Grrrrrrr'.
            Jonathan comes in a moment later, together with little Clark. They were in the barn, fixing the tractor. 'Martha? What's for lunch, I'm hungr ...' he trips on something, which happens to be Martha's leg. The rest of her body parts are spread around the living room.
            Little Clark stares horrified at notices that his brother has bony eyelids: 'You killed my mom!'
            Little Clark and mini doomsday fight to death.
            BTW, Jonathan dies too.

Comment

Not necessarily true, Clark as Kal-El is not at all partial to humans however because of how he was raised he overrode that genetic part of him I guess you can say. Of course there is a difference in that Clark was born and Doomsday was created specifically, but even without the love and direction he still was able to live a life without the monster, he might have been able to keep doing so if he actually had positive role models and love in his life.

Clark is compelled to do something true, but again as pointed with all these powers why does he just stick to the local view?
              I don't believe that Kal-El is all that impartial to humans at all. Clark was sent to Earth to be a savior - the only reason Kal-El was depicted as apathetic and mechanical is because Jor-El programmed him that way to make him do things (such as collect relics/elements).

As for why Clark remains local - I happen to think that because he was raised as a human he has endeared himself to a human life-style. Some people can't wait to leave home when they're grown up, others can't bear to leave, and since his parents loved him unconditionally - even despite his superpowers - I would imagine he fits under the second category.

Now, if we're talking about Davis/Doomsday, I have to disagree about him living his life without the beast. If we examine his dialogue with Chloe, Davis talks about having black-outs ever since he was a kid and that they were part of the reason why he jumped from foster home to foster home. Secondly, "Eternal" showed a mini Doomsday turn into the beast without any hesitation. Perhaps it was unintentional - Davis did not know how to tame the beast, after all - but these instances alone suggest that Davis' childhood was not Doomsday-free.
              Last edited by smallvillerocks45; 04-30-2009, 12:17 AM.

Comment

• You got to understand that when you saw Davis in the mansion he had no idea of what is right and wrong so it takes little to provoke the beast. He would get angry fast without any discipline. As he spend his time in foster homes he learned discipline, but that wouldn't stop the black-outs, whether he knows right and wrong or not. Now surely if he lived with the Kents with the same love they provided he would still have that discipline, he would still know right from wrong, so I think the situation might still be a little different. I think the scenario which bizarrolover describes is unlikely. You describe him as tempered. I don't see Davis as tempered.

Of course you would still have the black-outs. It's just a question how the Kents would have dealed with that. The same with Clark's powers perhaps... How to control it. Maybe the love they would give to Davis would have the same effect as Chloe? Maybe that could stop the beast, we can't know, but I don't see it as unlikely... On the contrary. But oh boy what would happen if Jonathan died. Maybe that wouldn't have happened so fast, cause it was partially's Clark's fault. Davis wouldn't make such a decision as he probably wouldn't have been able to go back in time in the first place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Davis Bloome
                  You got to understand that when you saw Davis in the mansion he had no idea of what is right and wrong so it takes little to provoke the beast. He would get angry fast without any discipline. As he spend his time in foster homes he learned discipline, but that wouldn't stop the black-outs, whether he knows right and wrong or not. Now surely if he lived with the Kents with the same love they provided he would still have that discipline, he would still know right from wrong, so I think the situation might still be a little different. I think the scenario which bizarrolover describes is unlikely. You describe him as tempered. I don't see Davis as tempered.

While my post was a joke, as a mother, i know that even the nicest kid, especially of young age, is tempered. Clark had explosions of temper as a child, and broke the dining table in two at the age of 3 as Martha said in Krypto. So that scenario is not impossible. Davis experienced blackouts since he was a child, so he could very well have a blackout and kill his loving family while they were still asleep. Killing is in his nature, and not even the kinest, most caring, loving environment would change that. The proof is that he mutated in seconds and killed Chloe's attacker regardless her soothing presence. he could have helped her as Davis and scare the man away, but instead he turned into the moster and cut the man into pieces.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bizarrolover
                    While my post was a joke, as a mother, i know that even the nicest kid, especially of young age, is tempered. Clark had explosions of temper as a child, and broke the dining table in two at the age of 3 as Martha said in Krypto. So that scenario is not impossible. Davis experienced blackouts since he was a child, so he could very well have a blackout and kill his loving family while they were still asleep. Killing is in his nature, and not even the kinest, most caring, loving environment would change that. The proof is that he mutated in seconds and killed Chloe's attacker regardless her soothing presence. he could have helped her as Davis and scare the man away, but instead he turned into the moster and cut the man into pieces.
                    Yes children can be tempered, they all have to a certain degree, one more than the other. But the things Clark did like breaking the table in two were likely accidents because he didn't know to control his power so I don't think they were outbursts of temper. We can't know yet why Davis changed. Most likely the effect is taking away, but did Davis ever have any recollection of changing in the monster? Actually that seems to be a plothole. Davis can't remember changing into DD cause they only occured during blackouts, so why didn't he remember when he changed in DD when he attacked the men who dropped him off? Anyway my point still stands. Davis did not change into DD while concious except for the one time I just mentionned. Personally I think it was just to show another scene of DD, showing he was already capable of such strength as a child. But like I said Davis when concious is always aware when he changes into Doomsday, so I'm not sure he changed into DD when tempered in his childhood. Even so as an adult he is a very calm person and is certainly not very hot tempered, which mean he was probably not so temperamental as a child either.

Comment

• Originally posted by LEXCLARK
                      The dude kills people for a hobby.
                      That's not HEROIC.
                      It's SADISTIC!
                      Ummm...it's not a hobby.

----- Added 3 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Night_Hawk90
                      either which way your look it killing people is wrong i dont care if they're drug dealers, pedophiles, etc, what right does he have to end a persons life. That is not noble that is just a cop out to make him believe he is doing the right thing.
                      I like how everyone basically just says this to prove their point that Davis is bad. But nobody really says what he should have done instead. I don't think what he did was right and killing is killing so it's always wrong. But considering his situation, did he have another choice? I can't think of one and would really like to hear you what you think?
                      Last edited by CreamPuffer; 05-24-2009, 12:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• I think not. Davis does what Clark would never dream of doing; killing human beings.

Comment

• You said it, 'Supermania'. The 'phantom' Faora in Lois proudly Declared to Davis that he was genetically 'Designed' from 'matter' that was Zod's, Faora's, and Krypton's most viscious creature. He was Designed to KILL, and she suspected that all of the brutal 'Carnage' that had recently happened in Metropolis that she'd read about on the DP's computer was Davis' doing. That's what he was expected to do, and she proceeded to describe to him what his life had been like involving the Blackouts. Therefore, Davis fulfilled his genetic Programming and with No Will of his own, Killed many.

Certainly, that slimey green ooze that came out of that 'Pod' that had been attached to Clark's space ship wasn't to become anything human. He was never a baby, but emerged from the ooze fully developed as a male child about age 6. He was quite Different from Clark ...who was a 'normal' Kryptonian child who had aged only 3 years from his infancy since he'd been launched into space to Earth. While Davis was sequestered at the Luthor Mansion for a week, he met Lex and had Killed Lex's pet bird before they met for the first time. Yes, he also Killed the security guards who were ordered to abandon him on a street corner when he 'morphed' into Doomsday even as a child. It was Obvious that his natural Instincts were Murderous from the beginning.

He Learned the difference between right and wrong while growing up in the child foster care system and he learned where to go to seek forgiveness for his 'wrong-doing', but he misunderstood how WRONG it still was to become JUDGE and JURY for so many random Vagabond individuals. He was a Vigilante making excuses for murder. NEVER a Hero, IMO. The only solution for him was to Isolate himself from humanity. Because of Tess' interference he may have learned about his Kryptonian heritage and asked Clark for help so that he wouldn't continue to murder. Clark's Phantom Zone solution would've been the better solution for everyone.

Now, IF he would have ALLOWED himself to be sent to the PZ 'Willingly', then That would have been a True Heroic Act and given him some portion of Redemption. After All of his killing, he still felt that he 'deserved' some bit of happiness with Chloe, rather than unselfishly setting her free from her companionship with him, which would've been a type of Prison... no Real Love, IMO.
                          Last edited by Imzadia; 06-17-2009, 10:27 PM. Reason: Additional comment

Comment

• Originally posted by Bizarrolover
                            Do you really think Davis would have been a hero if raised by the Kents? I tried to imagine Davis growing at the Kent farm and all I could come up with is this scenario:

Little Davis: 'Mom, I want another muffin'
                            Martha: 'No Davis, we'll have lunch in a moment."
                            Davis: 'I want it now!'
                            Martha: 'I said no. You can have one later.'
                            Davis eyes turn red.
                            Martha: 'OMG, what's happening?'
                            Mini Doomsday: 'Grrrrrrr'.
                            Jonathan comes in a moment later, together with little Clark. They were in the barn, fixing the tractor. 'Martha? What's for lunch, I'm hungr ...' he trips on something, which happens to be Martha's leg. The rest of her body parts are spread around the living room.
                            Little Clark stares horrified at notices that his brother has bony eyelids: 'You killed my mom!'
                            Little Clark and mini doomsday fight to death.
                            BTW, Jonathan dies too.
                            That's freaking hilarious!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

Yeah Davis killed Jimmy... he's a real hero.... right...

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by smallvillerocks45
                            Clark certainly had parental guidance, but his efforts to save people have always been a part of who he is.

Remember the episode "Leech" when Clark lost his powers, he couldn't help but be himself - and even broke a few ribs because it was just in his nature to want to help people, when he was powerless. Clark perhaps feels it's his responsibility to take care of matters that involve meteors, but he also just feels compelled to do something because he believes it is the right thing to do.

It is my impression that Davis became a paramedic because he's compensating for a lack he feels, and even if the Kents had found him instead, he still would essentially be (or become) Doomsday - and, IMO, no amount of direction or love could change that - because Clark, unfortunately brings out the worst in him.
                            Or like in "Perry" when he saved Perry White without powers, or when he actually went to fight the witches without his powers and just a shotgun... Clark's shown that with out without powers, he's a real hero.

Let's not forget he took a bullet for Lois this season too...
                            Last edited by Lilah; 06-17-2009, 11:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎