Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eternal = one of the best episodes of the series?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my favourite episodes definately.

----- Added 7 Minutes later -----

This is the only episode that made me cry! I love Chloe and Davis together
    Last edited by chloisfan; 04-03-2009, 05:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

YUCK! It's in my Bottom Three for Season 8.

Comment

It's one of those episodes I won't rewatch. Boring as hell and unoriginal.

Comment

i agree that this is one of the best episodes of the season. yes, chloe is making a wrong choice, but in her mind, she's trying to protect clark.

Comment

Not only is this episode not one if the best of the series, IMO, I don't think its even one of the best of this season. I didn't care for it at all, I hated all the retcons, and I think the show has gone way overboard in trying to create sympathy for Davis, to the point of even trying to make it seem like him murdering over a dozen people was just a little oopsie. I just find that concept insulting, and kind of gross. JMO

Comment

As 18th-episode of the seasons go, I'd definitely put this one right up there in the top 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack-El49
                As 18th-episode of the seasons go, I'd definitely put this one right up there in the top 8.
                awesome!

Originally posted by BadToad
                Not only is this episode not one if the best of the series, IMO, I don't think its even one of the best of this season. I didn't care for it at all, I hated all the retcons, and I think the show has gone way overboard in trying to create sympathy for Davis, to the point of even trying to make it seem like him murdering over a dozen people was just a little oopsie. I just find that concept insulting, and kind of gross. JMO
                Me too... sweeping mass murder under the rug is just not cool...

Comment

I for one really loved this episode. I thought it was well done and kept me thoroughly entertained and that is all I look for in an episode of any TV show. That being said I can understand why people get annoyed at plot holes and inconsistencies, but I for one didn't view it as a plot hole or inconsistency. I viewed it as a different perspective, and here is how.

1. First Veritas, I know people hate this sudden connection to Lionel always knowing about the traveler and a whole secret society and what not. Though it may be out there, they certainly lay down the foundation for it. Way back when Christopher Reeves was on the show him and Lionel met with one another as if they knew each other and had a secret between them and he was working out a deal for him. It was all sketchy but vague, I feel vertias helped connect the dots for that. Same with the teagues and the stones, all we knew is that she wanted them and knew about them but not how she knew about them. Veritas was formed letting us know they knew about the traveler and aliens so that is why the teagues wanted them, and why Lionel thought they were the only thing that could cure him.

2. Next, Lionel knowing about the traveler and the second boy that fell to earth. The way I see that is, Lionel wanted the traveler, he didn't want doomsday, so when he found out the boy they found wasn't him, knowing how Lionel was back then, he could care less, suddenly he lost interest in the boy, as far as he could see the tests all came back normal and he made a mistake, and he is not one to admit his mistakes so what does he do, he dumps him on a street corner and wipes his hands of it. That is Lionel through and through, when something isn't what he wants, it doesn't matter what happens to it, it ceases to exist for him.

3. Lex not remembering a playing with a random boy in his house when he just went through a traumatic experience. My guess is, after Lionel dumped him he called Lex a moron for imaging a friend, Luthors do not have imaginary friends. Also another way to look at it, Lex had a lot of lost memories as a child, maybe this one wasn't important enough to him to actually come back to him in his adult life.

4. The whole segeeth debate, I think is a matter of interpretation on anyone's part. There are countless scientists and archeologists that study cave paintings and some of them come up with completely different interpretations. All we know is that there were native americans who made contact with the kryptonians, they created an artifact that only their savior naman or their own people could use, but not their greatest foe sageeth. Sageeth can be interpreted as several different things, one of them being it was Lex because he touched the dagger and it was destroyed as the legend fortold, he was also a friend to naman before he turned on him. That being said it could also be mankind. Kryptonians created an artifact to kill sageeth that granted their tribesman powers like naman to protect it. Lex and Lionel touched the knife so it was destroyed because it was only designed to be used by kryptonians, and the people of this tribe. Mankind is like a brother to naman because they raised him like their own, but in the end they turn on him because they don't accept him for being different, which we saw in the episode Infamous. Then there is doomsday, that is just another interpretation, he fell to the earth the same time as naman, they are both from the same planet so they are like brothers even though they do not share genetic material, then he turns on him because even though they are both kryptonian, doomsday or sageeth is meant to destroy the other kryptonian. I don't think any is wrong or right, they are all interpretations and Tess could be wrong in hers or she could just see what I wrote and think it must be true, she probably doesn't know about the dagger and who touched it and how it was destroyed, she is going by what she knows.

In the end I really like the story, it is new to me, and I am enjoying it. As long as I am entertained I feel it was successful.

Comment

Drakaun, I agree with much of what you say.

I like any Smallville episode that unites the present moment w the beginning of the series. As someone who has watched Smallville from the pilot, I found that the whole Veritas, traveller, Lionel searching story line filled in a lot of holes from the early seasons. I was always asking myself, why would someone as ruthless as Lionel be so kid gloves w the Kents? The Veritas story line explains that. Explains why he would help them w the adoption. Explains why he just happened to be in Smallville during the meteor shower -- something that always bugged me. It adds intention to the actions of the characters. I always like that. Don't like coincidence.

I don't know if it has been discussed on other threads, but I would like to know why Davis was the same age as Lex when he came out of the pod and why he was fluent in English. Just curious....????

Other than that, I really liked this episode. I like seeing SOMEONE finally confront Clark w the truth instead of hiding what they know as if they don't know anything (Lex, Lionel, Lana, Chloe all fall into this category).

I also like the idea that Segeeth is not Lex, and is rather, Doomsday. Lex was never really Clark's friend. So the idea that they were brothers always bothered me. Clark and Davis are brothers in their journey from Krypton to earth. I like that idea better.

Comment

Originally posted by abc123
                      I think the show has created a great character in Davis Bloom. He's sympathetic, tragic, and not a one-dimensional villain.
                      I agree with this part, and ONLY with this part. Bloom is certainly better than a primitive, mindless killing machine. But this doesnīt save Eternal from being crap.

That Davis is a tragic, struggling figure was established before, not in this episode. All the awful retconning was not necessary for Bloomīs character. It was enough to know he was a genetically manipulated guy sent to Earth to kill Clark. It adds nothing to his role to have him arrive together with Clark. We donīt have to know all these details about his past to see that he is a tragic figure. In particular there is no need at all to sacrifice SVīs own history just for a one-season character. This is contrived and utmost stupid. To me it is just another indication that the showrunners have no respect at all: not for the character of Clark Kent and not even for their own earlier work on the show.

Eternal was an abysmal failure, proving the creative bancrupty of the showrunners and the fact that they are just a bunch of incompetent money-making cynics who donīt care for SV at all.

Comment

Definitely not one of the best episodes of the series...

Comment

Wow, it's amazing how polarizing this episode ended up being for most viewers. I won't be one of the folks who stand up and say it's one of the BEST episodes of the season (or series) by any means (catch my review on the "Loved it/Hated it" thread for more on that), but I will say that it's probably one of the most PIVOTAL eps of the season. It reveals a lot of the backstory and history of Davis, and does serve to make his character more tragic and the most infinitesimally tiny bit more sympathetic (it's hard to be sympathetic at all when you're a mass murderer, as you all already pointed out). It did bring in a lot of continuity and references to the Smallville mythos (even if it also blasted a bazillion holes in it with the blunders and retcons it introduced). I guess, all in all, it was an episode that went out of its way to look like it was one of the best and do a lot of big things, but just ended up making a mess of too much built-up history to actually find itself on my Top Ten list.

--SGuthrie ><>' --

Comment

I really do like retcon episodes but come on, becareful of the plotholes!

It made more sense for Lionel to make up adoption papers for Clark. I never really bought in the orinigal verison why he did it. It was really good in parts and it had its WTF/H moments for me.

Im loving the tragic Davis story it is absoutley great! I didnt like how Chloe was going back and forth with being friends with Davis hating Davis and Loving Davis and keeping him in her basement Davis. She confused me. Maybe that is how the writers want it.

It was a decent episode, one that I will rewatch again!

Comment

Originally posted by SGuthrie27
                              Wow, it's amazing how polarizing this episode ended up being for most viewers. I won't be one of the folks who stand up and say it's one of the BEST episodes of the season (or series) by any means (catch my review on the "Loved it/Hated it" thread for more on that), but I will say that it's probably one of the most PIVOTAL eps of the season. It reveals a lot of the backstory and history of Davis, and does serve to make his character more tragic and the most infinitesimally tiny bit more sympathetic (it's hard to be sympathetic at all when you're a mass murderer, as you all already pointed out). It did bring in a lot of continuity and references to the Smallville mythos (even if it also blasted a bazillion holes in it with the blunders and retcons it introduced). I guess, all in all, it was an episode that went out of its way to look like it was one of the best and do a lot of big things, but just ended up making a mess of too much built-up history to actually find itself on my Top Ten list.

--SGuthrie ><>' --
                              I agree with the bolded part. I am sorry there is just no way I would put it up there with episodes like Rosetta or Memoria.

Comment

I don`t think it was one of the best, there was no Lois, but I enjoy it a lot for surprise)) it was a very good epi, better than Turbulence...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎