No announcement yet.

Mistakes, Plotholes & Inconsistencies in Eternal

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jack-El49
    I really enjoyed this episode too - I thought it would be a filler.

I like Cassidy too. She is a very, very good actress in this role. As Lois...naaah. I'd prefer to see her one day playing in my bathtub!

----- Added 56 Seconds later -----

I thought that was odd too. Bloop!
    This was anything but a filler. This completely serves the main plot of the season, but my pure enjoyment for it was ruined by the plotholes & blatant contradictions of facts established in the past episodes.

----- Added 4 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by kszonew
    Although the rethinking of the Kwatchee myth didn't set 100% well with me, I've learned to accept continuty errors in tv shows. They happen, right or wrong. Sometimes you just have to make up things to try and explain them. In this case, I choose to see that the cave drawing was about both Clark/Lex and Clark/Davis.

Ex: In order to prevail over one (Lex) Clark must cut the head off (Davis) so to speak. The rite of passage, the destiny whatever.

Feeling that way I can accept the rewrite. In the end we are lucky, other shows get it far, far worse. At least the writers are trying to tie things in. Veritas itself tied in a lot of the web episodes, etc. Outside of the "new logo" just appearing on the mansion window I was cool with the storyline.
    I actually came up with an explanation for the Kawatche contradiction. Everyone thinks Lex is dead (but the legend says Sageeth will be Naman's ongoing enemy). So because they think Lex is dead, he can't be Sageeth. But they're wrong, because we all know Lex is alive somewhere. He's too cunning to Lex Oliver kill him like that. And he will show up & everyone will know who the real Sageeth is. Clark should have been the only one to know since he witnessed the crumbling of the Starblade & knows Lionel (who was also next to it when it crumbled) is dead so only Lex can be Sageeth. So to write Lex off is poor judgement on Clark's part considering the prophecy came true in Talisman.

----- Added 5 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by jwm
    You gotta laugh how Lionel's people tracked down Davis right past the spaceship and left it there for somebody else to retrieve.
    Yeah, I was thinking the same as I watched. He was obsessed with Dr. Hamilton finding it in Duplicity but couldn't care less back then. What a joke.

----- Added 7 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by superguy28
    That is what bothers me the most. Talisman is one of my favorite episodes and they basically just dismissed it.
    It's my favorite-ever mythos episode. I loved it all, especially the ending with Lex's interpretation of Sageeth as the hero & Naman as the evil ruler. It even had the best damn deleted scenes out of any other episode (the birthday party & the scene on the Australian DVD set where Lionel confonts Lex about being Sageeth---something I want to see so badly).

----- Added 9 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by The Striving Artist®
    The whole retcon the pilot-season 7.For one thing.Also why didn't Lex ask his father why he was housing some strange boy.Who by the way put on the most unconvincing look of suffering when exposed to kryptonite.

Also we learn in "Pilot" that Lionel was looking for Lex.Since we know how much of a heartless bastard he was towards him,how come he didn't ditch him to join up with his men searching for the ship and the Traveler? Instead he tracks Lex,looks horrified and then hitches a ride with the Kents.
    Why wouldn't Lex ever bring up the strange kid that was locked up in the mansion all those years? He didn't even bring it up last year when they probably knew that they would bring Doomsday in season 8.
    Last edited by xrayvision; 04-02-2009, 07:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Mistakes, Plotholes & Inconsistencies in Eternal

I am borrowing this from the "Eternal" forums because I thought it would be good to discuss here in the spoiler section of the forums.

"Eternal" was as many of us feared, plagued with giant mistakes, plotholes and inconsisitencies that practically destroy anything we knew from past Smallville episodes. I will list a few already discovered by various forum members:

-Chloe is able to stop Doomsday almost any time she wants but that wasn't the case in the original timeline arc for "Infamous"
      -Lex didn't know the St. George (about the box) story until that b-day party of his
      -Tess was able to get Lionel's Veritas journal yet Lex has never been able to.
      -Another one is why did the knife in Talisman disappear when Lex touched it if he wasn't Clark's greatest enemy?
      -Why was there kryptonite in the st george box and why was it on lionels desk when it was the gift for lex from where ever lionel got it. Did he re-gift it to lex? haha
      -How would he even know about kryptonite that early in the Smallville storyline.
      -It sure did look like Lionel Luthor lived there even though Clark said that Lionel never lived in the castle and had no intention to.
      -Why did Davis get cut by the knife when in previous episodes he couldn't be harmed by knives?
      -There was plenty of weird stuff, but the most glaring plothole for me would be the whole "Oliver's taking care of it" bit, and then Davis shows up, completely fine in Chloe's basement. Yeah, but wha -- ?!
      -You gotta laugh how Lionel's people tracked down Davis right past the spaceship and left it there for somebody else to retrieve
      -Lionels men didn't even notice the big egg Doomsday hatched from and ignored that he spoke perfect English.
      -I have to rewatch the episode but was it Tess that made the comment that Davis and Clark didn't get along for a reason? If so (unless i'm wrong) ... how would she know that?
      -All sorts of biblical errors and misinterpretations from the new Testament.
      -Also.. So Lional knew clark was the travel all along? they have always had him suspecting it but not knowing. Also wasnt it Johnathan not Martha that called in the favor?
      -Somehow the Orb magically survived Jor-El's destruction of the fortress and magically found it's way back to Tess Mercer who has never even seen the Orb in person before.
      -Did Clark say he had nightmares as a child of his ship landing in the cornfield and noone come to find him? He must have been 15 or 16 when he found out he came from another planet.

I am usually pretty forgiving about errors but man were there a lot in this episode. It's kind of hard to ignore these glaring plotholes. This episode would have been ok if it didn't have these plotholes but because of them, I can't say that I really enjoyed this episode. I also don't like the whole Chloe/Jimmy situation. Jimmy sending her all sorts of swear words and stuff and then Chloe already over Jimmy, BFF'ing Doomsday. Even after finding out he is Doomsday to apparently "protect Clark". I don't know, this episode was horrible when it comes to writing. In my opinion!

EDIT: It looks like Brian Peterson & Kelly Souders wrote this episode...
      Last edited by Kschreck; 04-02-2009, 11:02 PM.

Comment

What is even more sad is the fact that Brian Peterson & Kelly Souders wrote this episode. I would have expected more from these guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Poyntz
          Also.. So Lional knew clark was the travel all along? they have always had him suspecting it but not knowing. Also wasnt it Johnathan not Martha that called in the favor?
          This gaping plothole started last season when they said that Lionel specifically went to Smallville not to buy the Ross Creamed Corn factory, but instead to meet Clark/the Traveler. It was brought up again this episode (I was hoping contradictions would be left out in season 8).

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by dru-zod2501
          How did the kents not notice a whole team of black ops mercs with guns and cages in an open field? And why did the team not think to subdue the kents and take other naked boy that just happened to be in the same crash site as the alien?
          You spotted another one. Also, how the hell didn't the black ops guys not notice them carrying a naked kid?

Originally posted by ClubXerxes
          Yeah...but he's Doomsday...he starts off illiterate, then comes back stronger in the English language...I'm sure by now he speaks fluent Mandarin Chinese
          LOL!

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Kschreck
          What is even more sad is the fact that Brian Peterson & Kelly Souders wrote this episode. I would have expected more from these guys.
          Lazy, lazy, lazy. Are those the 2 that will be remaining next year?
          Last edited by xrayvision; 04-02-2009, 07:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by xrayvision
            My explanation for this is that Tess has it all wrong, which she definitely does. Tess thinks Lex is dead like everyone else. Sageeth (the 2 headed creature in the cave) is not supposed to die, but form the balance of good & evil with Naman (Clark). So since everyone thinks Lex is dead, they don't think he's Sageeth anymore.

But guess what? They're all wrong. We, the viewers know Lex is Sageeth because the prophecy said the Starblade would crumble when Sageeth touched it, exactly what happened in Talisman. Clark should actually know better since he witnessed Lex & Lionel touching it. So he should know that Lex isn't dead.

Last year, Ed Teague said that the 2-headed creature is Clark because it represented his potential for evil. But he was wrong too. The Kawatche knew the most since it's their legend & they said that Sageeth is the friend who becomes the enemy. Between the crumbling of the Starblade & Lex being Clark's friend, there's no question that Lex is really it. Clark will not have an ongoing struggle with himself or Doomsday, but instead Lex.

I just hope they go back to this & have Clark realize who the real Sageeth is if/when Lex returns or is about to return.
            Yeah I hope so too. Just like I hope Clark realizes that while he may have turned out different with the Luthors, he wouldn't have became Doomsday, and that Davis, no matter was destined to become Doomsday. Not only that, but it wasn't his fault, but Zod, Faora and Brainiac's fault.

Comment

Ooo even more inconsistencies! How come the black ops or Davis didn't run into the electro-kid from the "Pilot" episode that was hung up like a scarecrow??? Surely they would have ran into him or something.
              Last edited by The Striving Artist®; 04-02-2009, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Lazy, lazy, lazy. Are those the 2 that will be remaining next year?

Unfortunately!

Comment

Originally posted by Vergon6
                  Yeah I hope so too. Just like I hope Clark realizes that while he may have turned out different with the Luthors, he wouldn't have became Doomsday, and that Davis, no matter was destined to become Doomsday. Not only that, but it wasn't his fault, but Zod, Faora and Brainiac's fault.
                  Yeah. I'm sure they could have created Davis to be a normal Kryptonian clone, but instead they spliced their DNA into that of one of the prehistoric Kryptonian creatures of Doomsday's race.

Comment

It's my favorite-ever mythos episode. I loved it all, especially the ending with Lex's interpretation of Sageeth as the hero & Naman as the evil ruler. It even had the best damn deleted scenes out of any other episode (the birthday party & the scene on the Australian DVD set where Lionel confonts Lex about being Sageeth---something I want to see so badly).

Agreed, Talisman is a very underappreciated episode in my opinon. After reading some of the posts on Eternal I'm glad to see there are others who also really liked that episode and I am guessing Season 3. In my opinon, Season 3 was the show's best season ever (even with a few duds). I honestly don't think anything will eclipse it, with strong and lasting episodes like the Exile, Phoenix, Shattered, Asylum, Legacy, Talisman and Memoria. Eternal reminded me a bit of Season 3.

Comment

Originally posted by myankskent
                      Why did Davis bleed when the knife cut his hand when he already survived that back in "Bloodline"? He took a knife and stabbed his chest in that episode and the knife shattered and now a knife can cut his hand? Give me a break. That's a really bad mistake.
                      Yeah, that was a big mistake there.

Comment

-Tess was able to get Lionel's Veritas journal yet Lex has never been able to.

How in the world did Lex not get that book/jorunal?!? He can find the orb in a fireplace through the help of remembering a song on a piano, but misses the Veritas journal??

----- Added 5 Minutes later -----

Why did Davis get cut by the knife when in previous episodes he couldn't be harmed by knives?
                        I noticed that too. Didnt he stab himself at the end of Bloodline and the knife shattered??

----- Added 7 Minutes later -----

-I have to rewatch the episode but was it Tess that made the comment that Davis and Clark didn't get along for a reason? If so (unless i'm wrong) ... how would she know that?
                        I didnt notice that one. But now that you mention it...how would she know that??
                        She's never even mentioned him before now..has she??
                        Last edited by 'Tonio09; 04-02-2009, 08:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Wouldn't it have made more sense for Faora to attach Doomsday's egg onto the BLACK ship from Season 4? A.K.A. Brainiac's original form? Have him,the disciples and Brainiac release Zod,Doomsday would eliminate the human race along with Namek and Aetheyre and Brainiac would disconnect all technology with Kryptonian.

Voila! Continuity saved!

Comment

Originally posted by kszonew
                            Agreed, Talisman is a very underappreciated episode in my opinon. After reading some of the posts on Eternal I'm glad to see there are others who also really liked that episode and I am guessing Season 3. In my opinon, Season 3 was the show's best season ever (even with a few duds). I honestly don't think anything will eclipse it, with strong and lasting episodes like the Exile, Phoenix, Shattered, Asylum, Legacy, Talisman and Memoria. Eternal reminded me a bit of Season 3.
                            My favorite is season 2 with S3 trailing right behind. I loved S2 because:

-The caves were introduced
                            -Red-k was introduced
                            -Pete learned his secret
                            -Introduction of Swann (Rosetta was awesome)
                            -Introduction of Jor-El
                            -Introduction of Helen Bryce
                            -Introduction of Dr. Walden (one of my favorite villians)
                            -The beginning of Lionel's obsession with Clark in Duplicity & Red
                            -Introduction of Lucas
                            -Superjump in Insurgence (awesome episode)
                            -Fever & the events that took place
                            -Further development of Clark's ship & Dr. Hamilton
                            -The cave parasites
                            -Introduction of heatvision (best introduction of any of his powers)
                            -I loved Chloe back then (and in seasons 1, 3 & 4 too)

Season 3 was great because it followed up perfectly from S2.

Originally posted by The Striving Artist®
                            Wouldn't it have made more sense for Faora to attach Doomsday's egg onto the BLACK ship from Season 4? A.K.A. Brainiac's original form? Have him,the disciples and Brainiac release Zod,Doomsday would eliminate the human race along with Namek and Aetheyre and Brainiac would disconnect all technology with Kryptonian.

Voila! Continuity saved!
                            That would be awesome. I proposed something similar where Brainiac places a splinter of himself in Davis' genetic matter & summons him to Earth just like he (Brainiac) was summoned when blood got on the Air stone in Commencement.
                            Last edited by xrayvision; 04-02-2009, 08:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Clark wrapped in a red blanket? What's with the blue blanket. They must have colored that in for this episode.

It was nice to see Martha and Johnathon again

Comment

-Why was there kryptonite in the st george box and why was it on lionels desk when it was the gift for lex from where ever lionel got it. Did he re-gift it to lex?
                                lol.

----- Added 3 Minutes later -----

I also don't like the whole Chloe/Jimmy situation. Jimmy sending her all sorts of swear words and stuff and then Chloe already over Jimmy, BFF'ing Doomsday. Even after finding out he is Doomsday to apparently "protect Clark". I don't know, this episode was horrible when it comes to writing. In my opinion!
                                Yeah that was crazy. I mean Davis played a big role in Chloe and Jimmy's marriage breaking apart, and she has dinner with him???

And I really dont agree with her keeping her down in the basement to 'protect Clark' she needs to let him know what she plans on doing. He's already oblivious enough.
                                Last edited by 'Tonio09; 04-02-2009, 08:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎