No announcement yet.

Mistakes, Plotholes & Inconsistencies in Eternal

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kschreck
    I am borrowing this from the "Eternal" forums because I thought it would be good to discuss here in the spoiler section of the forums.

"Eternal" was as many of us feared, plagued with giant mistakes, plotholes and inconsisitencies that practically destroy anything we knew from past Smallville episodes. I will list a few already discovered by various forum members:

-Chloe is able to stop Doomsday almost any time she wants but that wasn't the case in the original timeline arc for "Infamous"
    new timeline.clark changed that back in infamous

-Lex didn't know the St. George (about the box) story until that b-day party of his

true i ll give ya that one
    -Tess was able to get Lionel's Veritas journal yet Lex has never been able to.

um well lex probably has so much hidden stuff or too busy to look through it all...but i doubt lionel even told lex about it.lionel hated lex by the way
    -Another one is why did the knife in Talisman disappear when Lex touched it if he wasn't Clark's greatest enemy?

lex isnt dead...not to mention lex has no superpowers...no i dont count white blood cells...and he is one of the few to stand toe to toe with superman...not some mindless brute...i still be lex is his greatest enemy
    -Why was there kryptonite in the st george box and why was it on lionels desk when it was the gift for lex from where ever lionel got it. Did he re-gift it to lex? haha

hmm so you wouldnt keep a piece of glowing green rock? plus i m sure lionel knew the meteor shower was coming that day...he did know the exact place to find davis btw...maybe he went to that site and excavated everything...but the ship which johnathon had already gotten
    -How would he even know about kryptonite that early in the Smallville storyline.
    clarks arrival wasnt the beggining of the smallville storyline...thats why there called flashbacks
    -It sure did look like Lionel Luthor lived there even though Clark said that Lionel never lived in the castle and had no intention to.
    um what does this have to do with anything?
    -Why did Davis get cut by the knife when in previous episodes he couldn't be harmed by knives?
    look closer...he was cutting a tomato.in other words he didnt cut himself...unless chloe has kryptonite hidden somewhere in the room
    -There was plenty of weird stuff, but the most glaring plothole for me would be the whole "Oliver's taking care of it" bit, and then Davis shows up, completely fine in Chloe's basement. Yeah, but wha -- ?!
    -You gotta laugh how Lionel's people tracked down Davis right past the spaceship and left it there for somebody else to retrieve

looked like only two guys and i doubt lionel could give a dxmn about the ship when he had the traveler
    -Lionels men didn't even notice the big egg Doomsday hatched from and ignored that he spoke perfect English.

possible but we dont know what happen to the egg...maybe it cracked down into nothingness,maybe johnathon got it thinking it was related to clark
    -I have to rewatch the episode but was it Tess that made the comment that Davis and Clark didn't get along for a reason? If so (unless i'm wrong) ... how would she know that?

yes she said it...but what doesnt tess know? but i d have to guess it was tess s delusions..."i know your the traveler and i know davis came from the egg thanks to the book so think about it clark,thats why you dont get together" tess "knows" clark is the traveler and she knows davis is the destroyer,,,shes basing it off their destiny not their socialibility
    -All sorts of biblical errors and misinterpretations from the new Testament.
    wouldnt know,i dont follow it that close
    -Also.. So Lional knew clark was the travel all along? they have always had him suspecting it but not knowing. Also wasnt it Johnathan not Martha that called in the favor?

knowing lionel...he probably knew johnathon would ask for help...or perhaps nots johnathon but whoever had the traveler...and once he did,a mysterious boy who had no past,as chances are johnathon had to tell lionel this for the deal to go through...and then lionel just played along to get leverage and not a restraining order
    -Somehow the Orb magically survived Jor-El's destruction of the fortress and magically found it's way back to Tess Mercer who has never even seen the Orb in person before.
    i d have to go with,started to sink...froze in the ice...tess dug it up in the excavation and decided to keep this,,,as it was obviously tied to the person who was with lex last
    -Did Clark say he had nightmares as a child of his ship landing in the cornfield and noone come to find him? He must have been 15 or 16 when he found out he came from another planet.
    i have nightmares about killing nazi zombies in berlin that doesnt mean that i believe them when i woke up...dreams are combined thoughts from the subconcious

I am usually pretty forgiving about errors but man were there a lot in this episode. It's kind of hard to ignore these glaring plotholes. This episode would have been ok if it didn't have these plotholes but because of them, I can't say that I really enjoyed this episode. I also don't like the whole Chloe/Jimmy situation. Jimmy sending her all sorts of swear words and stuff and then Chloe already over Jimmy, BFF'ing Doomsday. Even after finding out he is Doomsday to apparently "protect Clark". I don't know, this episode was horrible when it comes to writing. In my opinion!

EDIT: It looks like Brian Peterson & Kelly Souders wrote this episode...
    but all in all good summary and good on catching the small stuff but MOST can be explained

Comment

• Originally posted by Kschreck
      -Why did Davis get cut by the knife when in previous episodes he couldn't be harmed by knives?
      He didn't cut himself. That red thing on his finger was tomato juice (well, it looked more like tomato sauce, but anyway, I think we're supposed to believe it was tomato juice). He was slicing a tomato a moment before.
      That, or the fake-blood budget was just cut, because that looked really a lot like tomato sauce.

Comment

• Is it just me, or is there another giant (? mistake ?) in this episode.

In the beginning, Tess finds out there were two boys who arrived on our planet. HOW ?!
        It took Lex 7 years to find out about Clark, and now Tess reads some book and discovers something that the writer himself (Lionel) didn't realize ?! How stupid is that ?!
        Also, when little Davis fades to create an image in the diary, Tess poops her eyes out and suddenly discovers what I already mentioned. Again. HOW ?!
        The image was obviously drawn by Lionel and he was drawing a Traveller, not two of them...
        Plus, why Tess investigated Davis' past ? He never argued with Clark before, or at least there was no real proof. The only connection between Davis and the beast/mass murderer are the blackouts, and those aren't the reason Tess started investigating, since she couldn't know that. Again. Major plot hole - Tess is smarter then any other character. As much as I like her - it's wrong.

Comment

• ^^Good point.

Comment

• Originally posted by e-µ-i
            Is it just me, or is there another giant (? mistake ?) in this episode.

In the beginning, Tess finds out there were two boys who arrived on our planet. HOW ?!
            It took Lex 7 years to find out about Clark, and now Tess reads some book and discovers something that the writer himself (Lionel) didn't realize ?! How stupid is that ?!
            Also, when little Davis fades to create an image in the diary, Tess poops her eyes out and suddenly discovers what I already mentioned. Again. HOW ?!
            The image was obviously drawn by Lionel and he was drawing a Traveller, not two of them...
            Plus, why Tess investigated Davis' past ? He never argued with Clark before, or at least there was no real proof. The only connection between Davis and the beast/mass murderer are the blackouts, and those aren't the reason Tess started investigating, since she couldn't know that. Again. Major plot hole - Tess is smarter then any other character. As much as I like her - it's wrong.
            maybe tess is investigating davis because she saw jimmy's pictures of davis' victim in offscreenville, just putting it out there,

Comment

• Originally posted by PJBoy
              The producers have been doing a great job this season. I'm not gonna blame them just because of these plotholes.
              This is exactly what bugs me about episodes like this...

The writers are getting lazy... they are not dotting their eyes or crossing their 'T's because they have found that they can do things in a half arsed manor and people will stay think it's cool...

Well i'm sorry, but that many mistakes is NOT cool. If i wrote an essay that kept contradicting itself, i'd get an F. If you tryed to get a novel published where you change your mind about the characters backstory right near the end, they'd laugh at you.

So why can writers of a well established television show with 8 year long fans, who are probably being paid rather a lot of money, get away with such a blatant lack of fact checking and intelligent writing.

I mean why did they have the lead armour box there at all? They did it cause they thought it would be cool to act like they care about stuff from earlier seasons... but they obviously don't because they didn't bother to check that it actually made sense for the box to be there... which it didn't... and any old lead box would have done just fine, and made perfect sense.

It's just sloppy, and i hate sloppiness.

I want to be able to get past all the faults and enjoy the story line... but i CANT! I can't even bring myself to watch the episode again... It just infuriated me so much.
              Last edited by Hopefulsuicide; 04-08-2009, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide
                This is exactly what bugs me about episodes like this...

The writers are getting lazy... they are not dotting their eyes or crossing their 'T's because they have found that they can do things in a half arsed manor and people will stay think it's cool...

Well i'm sorry, but that many mistakes is NOT cool. If i wrote an essay that kept contradicting itself, i'd get an F. If you tryed to get a novel published where you change your mind about the characters backstory right near the end, they'd laugh at you.

So why can writers of a well established television show with 8 year long fans, who are probably being paid rather a lot of money, get away with such a blatant lack of fact checking and intelligent writing.

I mean why did they have the lead armour box there at all? They did it cause they thought it would be cool to act like they care about stuff from earlier seasons... but they obviously don't because they didn't bother to check that it actually made sense for the box to be there... which it didn't... and any old lead box would have done just fine, and made perfect sense.

It's just sloppy, and i hate sloppiness.

I want to be able to get past all the faults and enjoy the story line... but i CANT! I can't even bring myself to watch the episode again... It just infuriated me so much.
                I completely agree with you, well said.
                In such a 'professional' branch of work, such as TV series, which are viewed by millions of people, how can they hire such writers who can't write a 45min story that doesn't conflict with 10 earlier episodes throughout the show, or is simply beyond reasoning ?
                I guarantee that for much less money (some for no money at all), many of us would write 10x better stories without any plotholes...

Comment

• Originally posted by Supsfan
                  I think the entire episode trying to retcon the past was one huge mistake
                  agreed

Comment

• Dunno if this has been covered above but...
                    - Tess thinks Davis is evil, she tries to kill him straight away (car explosion)
                    - Tess suspects Clark is the savior, tries to find this out by faking a plane crash, fails, and then just gives up?

You'd think she'd be thinking of ways in which to prove that Clark is invulnerable... As Lex would've done over 7 years...

I think that not explaining why Tess hasn't tested Clark so far is a major plot hole.

But maybe that's what [SPOILER] the upcoming episode called injustice is about, Tess trying to flesh out Clark's secret [/SPOILER]

Comment

• In total i count 1 possibly two plotholes in this episode. This thread exagerates completely how many.

Lionels men were told there would be an alien they had to catch. When you come across him and he sprints away do you (a) examine the ship and send one man after him or (b) send every man after the most important subject matter. By the time they got back, the kents had already nicked the ship. Lionel couldnt be sure however if the child was alien so he kept an eye out and helped the friendly Kents adopt the boy.

The St.George bit was a stupid plothole.

The sageth stuff with the blade was not a plothole at all. Tess is just interpretting things wrong.

Iluvsmallville, "I think that not explaining why Tess hasn't tested Clark so far is a major plot hole". WHAT?! She had a plane crash engineered. This all but confirmed it to her. No more proof was needed as Clarks explanation was borderline woeful.
                      Unlike Davis (who she sees as a destroyer) she wants to gain clarks trust and cant openly go blowing him up. Clark with the help of Miss Sulivan would undoubtedly track down the bomb and its maker.

Its almost like people want faults!

----- Added 3 Minutes later -----

To follow things up. Lionels security team dropped Davis up in a rough area of town. They could easily have been gang attacked while there. Sure this may have seemed suspicious but Lionel has already seen how vulnerable Davis is. He had him locked behind a wooden door which he wasnt able to escape. They took samples form him (and undoubtedly the blood came back human thanks to davis genetic defenses) and were able to pierce his skin.

Even if he had suspected, Davis would have been long gone by the time he started searching for him. By this time Clark had probably caught lionel's eye.
                      Last edited by 27CDruid; 04-09-2009, 08:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• I didn't have a major problem with Tess changing the explanation Lex and Lionel had gotten for the drawings in the cave, it made sense to me they were both so obsessed with Clark and trying to figure out who was worthy to be his oponent, their egos were too big. I do think Tess has something else under her sleeve for Clark to prove he is super and maybe test him since she thinks Davis is dead...we'll see, I enjoyed the episode.

Comment

• Originally posted by 27CDruid
                          In total i count 1 possibly two plotholes in this episode. This thread exagerates completely how many.

Lionels men were told there would be an alien they had to catch. When you come across him and he sprints away do you (a) examine the ship and send one man after him or (b) send every man after the most important subject matter. By the time they got back, the kents had already nicked the ship. Lionel couldnt be sure however if the child was alien so he kept an eye out and helped the friendly Kents adopt the boy.

The St.George bit was a stupid plothole.

The sageth stuff with the blade was not a plothole at all. Tess is just interpretting things wrong.

Iluvsmallville, "I think that not explaining why Tess hasn't tested Clark so far is a major plot hole". WHAT?! She had a plane crash engineered. This all but confirmed it to her. No more proof was needed as Clarks explanation was borderline woeful.
                          Unlike Davis (who she sees as a destroyer) she wants to gain clarks trust and cant openly go blowing him up. Clark with the help of Miss Sulivan would undoubtedly track down the bomb and its maker.

Its almost like people want faults!
                          Oh god i don't want them... I absolutely love episode without faults... and the ones with massive contradictions that are so strong that i find the script actually makes no sense whatsoever... well those ones make me angry

The biggest thing that bugged me, was Tess's information and where it was coming from...

One minute, she's getting all her information from Lionel's journal. Then she is saying that Lionel was wrong and there were two boys that fell to earth that day... so are we saying Lionel didn't know about Davis/Doomsday? But then how does she know so much about him?

TBH Lionel having an illustrated diary bugged the crap out of me too... especially when he had drawn scenes perfectly that he hadn't even actually been at... like davis next to the ship...

Originally posted by devilneedsaride

- Lionel has known that Clark is the Traveler all along? No WAY. Sorry, this one I will absolutely NOT buy. I can't even list all the things in the early seasons that make no sense if we accept this.

- Clark had nightmares involving his alien heritage as a kid, yet he didn't find out that he was an alien until he was 14. Uhh...

- The Doomsday/Sageeth retcon.

- In order for the journal to contain all that juicy Doomsday information, Lionel would have had to find out about him before he died. There are numerous problems with this.
                          a) How did Lionel find out? If Jor-El had found out early enough for him to have plausibly told Lionel, then he should have warned Clark too. How would Veritas have otherwise come into this information?
                          b) Once Lionel did find out, why did he not seek out Davis? With his considerable resources I'm sure he would have been able to manage it, and I'm also sure that he would have found such a being interesting and potentially useful.
                          c) If Lionel found out after his supposed transformation to a semi-cool guy, he should also have warned Clark.

- Lex didn't get the metal box until his twelfth birthday party, I believe, nor did he know the story behind it. Seeing as Doomsday was only kept by Lionel for five days immediately following the meteor shower, and given that it is accepted show canon that Lex was 9 at that time, him having it at this point isn't possible.
                          These are the plot holes stated by devilneedsaride that i also agree with.

I think trying to excuse the segeeth retcon by saying it is just Tess' interpretation is a bit weak. They presented it as Lionel's information, discovered through the diary. And even if that weren't true, Clark seemed to readily accept what Tess was telling him as truth. Perhaps if we had a scene where Chloe and Clark discussed whether Doomy and he could make up segeeth, Clark could have said 'No, that can't be right because of the blade that would disintegrate when segeeth touched it!'

But we didn't

TBH Veritas has simply been the most badly written attempt at a mystery/organisation. It never should have happened. Ever since the idea of Veritas was presented, the show has started failing me in quality... every time an episode mentions it, i cringe
                          Last edited by Hopefulsuicide; 04-09-2009, 09:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Originally posted by jwm
                            You gotta laugh how Lionel's people tracked down Davis right past the spaceship and left it there for somebody else to retrieve.
                            Yeah, that had me laughing out loud. Lionel would have had that whole corn field on lock down and the ship would have been in his hands the whole time. One other plothole I noticed was from the Pilot and Lineage. The Kent's pickup truck was upside down in a ditch. How did it get turned up right and who lifted the ship into the cargo bed and when did Lionel and a bald Lex show up to catch a ride back to Smallville as shown in Lineage.

After typing this, I am now catatonic with a nosebleed from skipping through the broken record time on the island known as Retcon.

----- Added 6 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by red_sun1938
                            Yeah, that had me laughing out loud. Lionel would have had that whole corn field on lock down and the ship would have been in his hands the whole time. One other plothole I noticed was from the Pilot and Lineage. The Kent's pickup truck was upside down in a ditch. How did it get turned up right and who lifted the ship into the cargo bed and when did Lionel and a bald Lex show up to catch a ride back to Smallville as shown in Lineage.

After typing this, I am now catatonic with a nosebleed from skipping through the broken record time on the island known as Retcon.

Hahahahaha, never mind. Jonathon borrowed a truck from a victim of the meteor shower. LOL
                            Last edited by red_sun1938; 04-09-2009, 12:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Originally posted by Fridaythe13Jason
                              I was going to bring this one up but obviously you beat me to it...

Originally posted by rch
                              No, Doomsday does not have selective immunity. He's impervious to whatever impacted him before, and that would be everywhere on his body. Otherwise, Kryptonite would still affect him on that one spot under his leg/arm the liquid missed. He's the ultimate demon, not Achilles. Come on all you comic geeks, help me out here! I think the cut was info for newbies to the show, but it is a frustration.
                              This is absolutely correct. Some people are grasping at straws here...
                              Not really. It's only "that which kills you makes you stronger."

If it KILLS him, he becomes impervious to it, not just if it "hurts" him. That would be hard for any writer to manage...

Comment

• Hopefulsuicide:"TBH Veritas has simply been the most badly written attempt at a mystery/organisation. It never should have happened. Ever since the idea of Veritas was presented, the show has started failing me in quality... every time an episode mentions it, i cringe"

Agreed/ Veritas is a mess of a story in which Al/miles tried to retell the story of Smallville and what happened when Clark arrived telling us they had always known it would happen and so on and so forth. also telling us that lionel always new Clark's secret yet when they say they contradict the happenings of the earlier seasons which showed that Lionel clearly didnt know who clark was. this episode also indicated that Lionel also didnt know Clark was the traveler lol so theres a contradiction about their contradiction.

This is my problem with them going back and forth to tell a story about what really happened that day Clark came to earth. every season they add something in something else is pushed out and it all starts to make everything look like a jumbled mess. They did just fine with lineage in season two about that happened the day of the meteor shower but now when they go backwards they ruin their own story and these people have been on board since the beginning of the show.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎