Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Better Movie: Superman IV or Batman and Robin?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing is, I think i really would rather watch Batman and Robin, for totally superficial reasons... In fact, I have watched Batman and Robin tonnes of times, and i can barely remember what Superman 4 was about...

I remember Clark jumping off a roof with Lois, which was a cool reveal, but the reason behind it and the immediate mind wipe were lame. There was the super villain Lex created, and him bashing Superman into the ground on the moon...

Yeah i defo gotta go with Batman and Robin... it's just more fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide
      In fact, I have watched Batman and Robin tonnes of times, and i can barely remember what Superman 4 was about...
      A little boy asks Superman to rid the world of nuclear weapons during the Cold War. Superman agrees, but Lex seizes the opportunity to create for himself a super being cloned from a mixture of his own DNA and Superman's. With the world left powerless to defend themselves, Superman must find a way to defeat Lex's "Nuclear Man", even though a single scratch from the villain's super amazing fingernails can rob the Man of Steel of his powers.

In a subplot, a rich businessman buys the Daily Planet and turns it into a cheap tabloid, much to the chagrin of the staff and former editor in chief Perry White. Thanks to some throwaway dialogue in the end, Perry manages to buy the Planet back and put everything right again.

Also, Margot Kidder looks horrible, so they brought in Mariel Hemmingway to play a younger, hotter, love interest who can breathe in outer space.

At the end, Superman defeats Nuclear Man, but realizes that he can't protect Earth from their future, and it is the responsibility of all nations to do what is right moving forward. In a stirring press conference speech, he tells the people of the world that he just wishes they could see the world the way he does.

Cue music.

Cut to Superman I Earth fly by, smile at the camera, credits.

Comment

Originally posted by Reeve_290
        I don't think so. After the success that they had with Forever (which was a success believe it or not, I know, what the hell right???) they probably thought they were being cool and clever with all the things that made B&R campy. I really don't think they expect people to laugh AT it the way they did.

Anyway. My vote is SIV as the better film. Its heart was in the right place and if not for the sh1tty budget it would have been good. If it had the money that B&R had it would have been a good installment to the series - money would have meant better supporting actors, superior effects and half of the film wouldn't have been cut in the editing process. Having read the script, when you look at the plot as a whole there's nothing actually wrong with the story.

Plus, its a Reeve film and Reeve IS Superman, where as George is NOT Batman.

So in total contrast to what someone said above, B&R is worse cos it had the opportunity to do well and failed miserably - where as SIV never had a chance.
        Chris Reeve is the standard I hold all other actors up to. But even he couldn't save the movie. It's heart was in the right place but I cringed during every minute because the Superman series had lost its magic. It was preachy, humourless, and the acting, bar Reeve, was awful. The special effects were laughable.

I could watch B&R, believe it or not. I laughed at how silly it was. It was at least watchable, and I didn't feel that somebody was spitting on a classic series. B&R reminded me of the campyness of the 1960's AWest series, and I enjoyed that.

Comment

I voted for IV because it had Reeve...

Although Batman and Robin was so awesomely bad...

Very campy...but it wasn't good camp...it didn't have shark repellant bat spray

PS -..oh her name...Lacey Wal..something....
          A very good message board topic btw
          Last edited by caseybrn; 04-04-2009, 08:49 PM.

Comment

I don't quite think its fair for me to vote in this poll because I own both on dvd along with another movie that when I name in a sec will get me vertualy stoned for saying I own.

Catwoman I own the dvd of catwoman there I said it.

Comment

Just the fact that Christopher Reeve is in "Superman IV: The Quest For Peace" makes it a better movie than "Batman And Robin"

"Enough of Uneducated, Colorsblinded, Stupidboys...Brandon Routh is truly a Super Man"...A verse taken from The Gospel According To Donner

myspace.com/vadervader

Comment

Batman & Robin makes Superman 4 look like Licence to Kill and makes Batman look like Rocky Horror.

They camped up the Batman franchise to sell more toys and thought Batman Returns ended the series, Schumacher was more worried trying to please familys and went overboard in making it child friendly.

Comment

I hated Superman Returns more than either.

Comment

Superman IV I think when you have one actor play one hero for a time it tells you about dedication to a movie franchise.

Comment

Batman & Robin never gets enough love. It rocks.

Comment

Batman and Robin was campy, but Superman: The Quest for Peace was downright disrespectful.

Comment

I actually don't mind either. I enjoyed them.

Comment

Originally posted by krpto
                            Catwoman I own the dvd of catwoman there I said it.
                            I willingly bought the blu ray of it. No need to explain yourself. I also have the Roger Corman Fantastic Four (DVD)

Comment

Superman IV was embarrassingly bad. I thought the uncut scenes would have helped it and they were so bad that it wouldn't have made a difference. Chris Reeve was the only thing that made it even remotely worth watching. Batman & Robin was just a smidge better. Arnold was probably the best part of the film and that isn't saying much. I can at least watch this movie from time to time.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎