No announcement yet.

Open Note to Bryan Q. Miller

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by newbaggy
    Maybe this isn't entirely appropriate for an "Open Letter To..." thread, but the following quotes come from an interview with BQM that Comic Book Resources have just put up - and it is the nearest thing to a reply that we have at the moment.

Wow, he's "Just starting my career" and here was us all thinking he had secret experience that wasn't being displayed on imdb. I love this man and I'm so glad he's with us next season

Comment

• You mean he wrote those episodes? Wow, they were, like, some of Season Eight's high points definitely! He does Lois & Clark like no-one else can. I especially loved Committee, because it forced Lois to reveal her feelings for Clark under pressurizing circumstances and I reaaly liked it when those two are pretending to be engaged in the jewelery shop. Good times! Keep going, Miller. You're doing a fine job!

Comment

• I just joined these boards officially, and I decided to land my first comment here in this thread. ;D

I think that it's pretty obvious that almost all of the fans are very much contented with Mr Miller's work. I must say, that despite being a starter in Smallville the last season, he definitely was my personal favorite writer this year. I did have my objections at a few parts of those episodes, but believe me when I say, I had much more problems with other episodes and their scripts. Right now, I only can remember 2 things like this in the case of Miller: the Chloe/Jimmy scene at the end of Committed - that was a little but too much for me despite the fact that I actually like these two; and in Hex the picture of Lois with the Dalai Lama(though I'm not sure, if it was actually Miller's writing, or just the director's idea) - again, it was quite an exaggeration for me. I've also read at places, that some people didn't like your episodes because they weren't really part of the main arc - but that's the thing which I don't agree with. Even Hex being there where it was in the season's timeline(between Turbulence and Eternal - 2 quite dramatic episodes connected to the Doomsday storyline), I guess that most of us were relieved to see such a light and humorous episode between some pretty dark and depressed ones. It was a nice change and an excellent entertaining piece! ;D

Being said that, now that I'm finally over with the negativity and all, I'd like to point out Miller's(or, going into the open letter style - "your") greatest achievements:

1.Writing Chloe in the way she should have been in this whole season - supportive, funny and absolutely lovable. I personally didn't have that much problems with her character as others, but still your episodes made even those like again our little blondie!;D She was again Clark Kent's best friend, understanding, sarcastic just in the right measure and always standing out for him. Also she was committed to Jimmy, and supportive to Lois - you actually were one of those few writers this season who gave some respect and fun to these cousins, and you have all of my love for that!;D

2.Getting Clark in the line, portraying him as a hero and - most importantly - giving him some FUN;D Seriously, Bulletproof was an excellent episode for Clark, and probably my absolute favorite of all this whole Lana arc. Excellent ideas, great lines - you gave him what all the fans so desperately wanted!;D

3.Writing the season's most memorable(actually funniest) lines. I guess I'll never forget the Hex "I'm Chloe.......Jor-El, Fortress, Brainiac Chloe!" line ever!;D Just like I still fall off my chair every time I watch that Commited scene in the jeweler's store with Clark, Lois and Oliver. Priceless and full of humour - you absolutely bought me off with those!;D I'm really looking forward to seeing more of those kind of scenes...;D

And there are thousands of other things that I could write here. You handled every character with a certain respect, and depths, and not just Clark and Chloe but Lois(actually especially her ;D), and everyone else. Despite of being a "filler writer" you still managed to write some excellent episodes, and entertained everyone(I'm sure that for moments, even those who were only interested in the main plot could forget about their objections, and really, just enjoy a scene. That's a rare talent to be able to do some quality work like this;D). And despite of being a "starter", you still obviously had the right knowledge of the background of the show, and do justice for not only Smallville, but for the Superman fans. So we can only be grateful for that.

I actually believe that you managed to please most of the show's different fan groups. No matter if someone's a shipper or a fan of a certain character, anyone can find something to love in your episodes.

So dear Mr Miller, thank you for being in Smallville, and keep up your good work;D I hope that this season you'll get some actual "main plot" episodes too, for not anything else, then just so you could please another group of fans here.
        Last edited by mse63; 07-14-2009, 08:41 AM.

Comment

• Bryan Q. Miller: Stop destroying all that is CHlark

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎