UK thoughts on Bulletproof

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK thoughts on Bulletproof

So what did people think?

I liked it overall - it reminded me of early season episodes like Kinetic and Insurgence. I also liked the way that, as in Legion, Clark did something very heroic and "Supermanly" without necessarily using his powers.

It's interesting to find out that Dan Turpin is a character from the comics - something I didn't realise until I read some posts on here today. It might have been somewhat hackneyed, but I liked the way that Clark got to appreciate what it means to put yourself in the firing line as an "everyday hero" like the police et al. This sort of thing has been done many times before of course, but it was quite effective when Clark was talking to Dan about how he manages to turn up for work knowing that he could leave a wife and child behind.

The obvious criticism is the Lana stuff. It does all seem a little pointless - the relationship, I mean, not necessarily Lana's return. I'm quite intrigued as to how her story will play out in terms of her knowledge of Lex's whereabouts, or indeed her involvement with Tess - but I'm really not bothered about any reigniting of old flames.

Actually it was Tess that I had the biggest problem with in Bulletproof. Her tearful soliloquy on Lex and their "relationship" was a little overbearing and didn't really fit with Tess' characterisation so far. I imagine they did it to make Tess look more sympathetic, but I think she came across as a bit pathetic. Up until now I've enjoyed the ice maiden/femme fatale persona - I hope they don't reduce her to a women scorned.

I agree, it felt like it was back to an old style that I had missed, and I really liked Clark in it

Tess is a strange one. They protray her one week as good and one week as evil... just like they were doing with Lex back in season 5. One day he'd be torturing AC, the next Clark would be asking him for favours... it's silly really.

Comment

Originally posted by Lex Dance
      So what did people think?

I liked it overall - it reminded me of early season episodes like Kinetic and Insurgence. I also liked the way that, as in Legion, Clark did something very heroic and "Supermanly" without necessarily using his powers.

It's interesting to find out that Dan Turpin is a character from the comics - something I didn't realise until I read some posts on here today. It might have been somewhat hackneyed, but I liked the way that Clark got to appreciate what it means to put yourself in the firing line as an "everyday hero" like the police et al. This sort of thing has been done many times before of course, but it was quite effective when Clark was talking to Dan about how he manages to turn up for work knowing that he could leave a wife and child behind.
      To me, it felt a bit "Smallville does Life on Mars" - as you say, a bit hackneyed, but effective - and I liked the way that Clark managed to see that saving someone's soul was as important as saving them physically. Equally, the friction between Clark and Ollie was a bit contrived (they've moved on a bit since "Rage" two years ago"), but it did allow some depth to be added to the characters - and Messrs Welling and Hartley played the scenes well.

The obvious criticism is the Lana stuff. It does all seem a little pointless - the relationship, I mean, not necessarily Lana's return. I'm quite intrigued as to how her story will play out in terms of her knowledge of Lex's whereabouts, or indeed her involvement with Tess - but I'm really not bothered about any reigniting of old flames.
      I quite liked the opening and closing scenes of Lana with Clark (up to the point that Clark regressed to acting like a fourteen year old: talking about making "sacrifices" and kissing Lana) - in those scenes, Lana was written as a believable human being. However, (and having already seen the next two episodes, I know that things get worse on this score) PS3 have fallen into the same trap as Al/Miles: Lana cannot be written as a normal youn woman, she has to be Little Miss Perfect. So, in the rest of her scenes, Lana somehow becomes a cross between James Bond and "Q" (without either characters' faults or fallibilities), able to steal data about the "Prometheus" project from secure Luthorcorp computers and overpower Tess in a fight. And Tess, for some unfathomable reason, spends half her time with Lana praising the former Mrs Luthor. I don't know about you, but far from telling Lana "I can see what Lex saw in you", I would have thought that she would be more likely to say "I could never understand what Lex saw in you" or "so your the b!tch who betrayed Lex". It would have made more sense to have Tess disliking Lana at the outset, openly contemptuous of this "nobody" who had loved, then left, her beloved Lex. However, this would have involved having a character think that Lana was somehow less than wonderful, and this would clearly never do!

Actually it was Tess that I had the biggest problem with in Bulletproof. Her tearful soliloquy on Lex and their "relationship" was a little overbearing and didn't really fit with Tess' characterisation so far. I imagine they did it to make Tess look more sympathetic, but I think she came across as a bit pathetic. Up until now I've enjoyed the ice maiden/femme fatale persona - I hope they don't reduce her to a women scorned.
      I'm not sure if this was completely unrealistic: at the end of "Odyssey", when she takes her place behind Lex's desk, she seems a little daunted, whilst in "Identity", Sebastian senses her inner fears when he reads her mind. However, I agree that it would be better if Tess' motivation is not simply that of a spurned lover desiring revenge.

Before I end, I have to put add some special praise for the Chlark scene. Not because of the Lois reference (nice though it was to hear that she isn't completely forgotten), but because we actually had a scene where they actually sounded like old friends. No undue earnestness from Clark, no tortured metaphors or pop culture references masquerading as wit from Chloe - for once, they were written as people who had known and cared for each other for a long time. If only all Chlark scenes could be written this well.

Overall, with the exception of the "Wonder Lana" material, a good little episode that confirms that Bryan Q. Millar is definitely the best "character" writer working on the series (I look forward to "Hex" with interest).

Comment

it was good not as good as legion. y cant j'ohn j'onez get his powers back

Comment

I really liked it!!!
          Especially when Tess was speaking to Lex in the mirror!
          I couldn't fault the acting!
          The only thing I didn't like was the end scene! It wasn't as dramatic as previous episodes!
          I would liked to have seen more of Allison Mack!

Comment

I loved getting to see john jones again, even if its only at the start and end of the episode. I liked clark as a cop too, and how he tried to save someone, not just in a 'catch the bullet before it hits you' way but saving them from going down the wrong path.

As a cloiser I obviously hated the clana at the end. They've spent the whole season gradually pushing clark and lois together, and now suddenly clark and lana are back together, and lois is nowhere to be found.
            Last edited by Pesk; 03-26-2009, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by justice league
              it was good not as good as legion. y cant j'ohn j'onez get his powers back
              ITA!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎